Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Can you also link to the previous thread in the OP?

Two years between seasons is at least authentically Wheel of Time. People who are new to the series now get to live the experience of waiting multiple years to learn what happens next. If they’re very lucky, maybe Amazon will die before the series finishes and another production company will be tapped to wrap things up according to the thousands of notes left by Amazon’s executives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

That said every time someone posts a preview or article about it on somewhere like r/television it gets downvoted into oblivion or filled with raging comments because I guess the internet has collectively decided this show somehow crucified every pet they ever owned in their life or something and they will never forget it.

I mean, (first) the show runners cast people with dark skin in some roles that didn’t have skin tones specified in the books, and (second) they had the audacity to change the plot rather than telling a beat-for-beat recreation of the books. Not that the season was amazing—S1E7 and S1E8 were particularly rough—but a lot of the vitriol comes from people who either were never going to be satisfied (the second group) or who you should not care about satisfying (the first group). And from what I’ve heard about Reddit lately, it seems both of those groups make up an increasing fraction of a dwindling user base.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Positive, but seems like book purists are going to continue to be mad, maybe!

Look, we all suspected that the obvious homage to Mrs Doubtfire was unlikely to make the cut. Likewise the chapter with the eerily on-point prediction of Heath Ledger’s Joker.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If you want to discuss more about material that hasn’t been, but may yet be, shown in the series, mosey on over to the Book Barn thread where spoilers abound.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
In episode 3, I don’t think the second time the arch showed up was part of the test. You aren’t supposed to be able to channel in the alternate worlds presented to you by that ter’angreal. Nynaeve did during the trolloc attack, and my supposition is that that triggered the reappearance of the arch. We’ll have to see if the show addresses this in later episodes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

calandryll posted:

The season has been great so far, my wife was hooked on the first episode with Lan abs.

Can you blame her?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

He better be the first one that pops out when they toot that drat horn.

The spoilered text is information that has been mentioned once or twice in the show, but is spelled out in much greater detail in the books. So it’s technically safe, but something inattentive viewers might have passed over.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Rand's actor kind of has the Harry Potter/Series of Unfortunate Events problem where he's mostly reacting to a bunch of more interesting performances played by some wonderful character actors

Seems like a challenging line to walk. On one side you have Mary Sues and plot contrivances to keep your main character the most interesting, and on the other side you have the situation described above, where the main character is reactive rather than proactive.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Okay, but my question was why she's so unkillable, and why they wouldn't take the opportunity to, I dunno, chop her to pieces while she's momentarily helpless, on the basis that she can't get up to mischief if she's stuffed into five or six different sacks and then buried.

A sword is a great tool for making someone dead, but not great for hacking apart the body afterward. Moiraine clearly didn’t know how long the killing would stick, and didn’t bring an axe, cleaver, or whatever else to enact your plan. And you definitely don’t want the unkillable quasi-godlike entity coming to while you’re still in the room trying to remove bits of her body.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

sneak up on her, stab her in the heart, cut her throat, and leave her bleeding and lifeless on the ground, and then ten seconds later tell me how she's invincible and we have to run away. … she gets apparently murdered before she can even react.

The show does address this, though. Lanfear comes back to life as Moiraine and Rand are rushing out the door. Even a slit throat and a sword through the heart didn’t keep her dead for very long. Are you willing to stay and try things with an unknown chance of success, knowing that if you’re around when the apparently-unkillable sorceress wakes up you’re most definitely going to be on her poo poo list?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I see. I misinterpreted that post, my bad. So yeah, DON'T click that link and read that post then non-book people, please.

Maybe go back and edit the original post to say that?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

DTurtle posted:

This episode has another reveal that was extremely obvious as a book reader, but somewhat missable as a non-book reader. I won’t mention what, as I have seen people in this thread and in reaction videos miss it or miss the significance of what they saw.

It’s the fact that novice chores are busywork that is gone over by proper Tower servants, right? Because that was some awful form when Egwene was supposed to be “mopping”.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

- Mat is a loving idiot

You take that back! You take that back and say you’re sorry! :mad:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

Which Goku? He pretty much definitionally is more powerful than Rand, because his plot armor is stronger.

I need more details about Goku’s plot armor so I can make an accurate comparison.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Moonlit Knight posted:

Did anyone else find the editing kind of shoddy in this episode? I thought there were multiple cuts that didn't match up.

I didn’t notice anything nearly as bad as the Egwene double-take from earlier this season. What scenes had that problem?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Yeah Liandrin's awesome. I kinda hope she'll come back to the Light in the end :shobon:

My non-book-reader wife has predicted that Lanfear will come back to the Light. We’re told that she only went dark because the previous Dragon rejected her, Rand doesn’t seem to mind the crazy too much, and she’s already told Ishamael she’ll betray him. That’d be a helluva coup for the side of Light if it happens, having the most dangerous of the forsaken back on your side.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Colonel Cool posted:

the power of love and/or dick.

Ah yes, one of Huey Lewis’ lesser-known songs.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Moonlit Knight posted:

I might be going senile.

Too much reading of Wheel of Time will do that to you. For all the non-readers, it isn’t too late to avoid Moonlit Knight’s fate.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
As clunky as the Verin/Yassica scenes were, I would still prefer that over the stuff from last season where Rand and May went from riding horses penniless in bad coats to walking with nice coats and enough money to afford an inn in Tar Valon. That was a touch subtle for my tastes even though the information was there to piece together. Also, I’m going to be thrilled if the Verin/Yassica scenes are the worst things we deal with this season; so far, the rest of the show is a step up season-to-season.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

What do the baddies want? What's the world look like under their rule? "Broken?" Would it just be like having a different king and you have to put up with Trollocs gobbling up your neighbors, or what? The existing kingdoms don't seem to do much for the peasantry, or even the nobility

Dana the Darkfriend from season 1 wants time to stop; literal nothingness is preferable to the tortured grinding existence she lives in that podunk mining town. Both Suroth and Liandrin seem to think they will eventually be placed in positions of authority over the other woman. So you have two examples there of what the bad guys/gals want: nihilism and power.

There’s more information by this point in the books, unsurprisingly, but I think the above covers what the show has given us.

Edit: forgot a third one. Padan Fain just wants to murderhobo everyone and swagger wherever he drat well pleases.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 19, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

I like how nynaeve accidentally channelled too much and then the gestapo knocks on the door 3 seconds later. Like they were just leaning against the wall outside the whole time

That was Basan, Ryma’s warder, who knocked at the door. Presumably he was paying attention to the Seanchan patrolling the area, and noticed them noticing something.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
From a film-making standpoint, how do you do so many scenes where Egwene crumples to the ground in a heap? It’s supposed to look sudden and painful, which means the falls were likely also abrupt and uncoordinated. Is there a trick to keeping the actress from injuring herself? Stunt doubles? Hidden pads on the floor? Days of fall training? I wasn’t watching episode 6 with a critical eye for that sequence, but now I’m curious.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Moonlit Knight posted:

Some examples of the editing jank I mean:

I think I know what you’re complaining about in all three, but can you confirm?

1. Mat’s head isn’t looking the same direction before and after the cut

2. Mat’s body isn’t shaped the same before and after the cut

3. Too many consecutive shots of Rand from different angles before we get one of his conversational partner

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

I thought about looking up some fanfic and then realized how loving stupid I can be. There are whole rear end books. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

If all you want is a quick fix, the books are not for you. It’s impressive what Rafe et al are doing to squeeze the source material into 64 episodes while also doing extra world building not present in the books, but that still means leaving an astonishing amount of material out.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Devorum posted:

Are there really folks confused about where the season is headed? My wife and my non-reader friends all have a pretty good idea of what it's building toward in a general sense. I think the show has all but explicitly stated it.

There really are folks confused about it. One of them posted on this very page. Just goes to show that you can’t please everyone all the time: if you make things so obvious nobody misses the story, then people will complain about telling and not showing—but err in the other direction and different people will complain about lack of clarity.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I watched the first episode of Netflix’s One Piece adaptation, and frankly I’m shocked by how strong the characters came across relative to the first episode of Wheel of Time. It makes me wonder if WoT’s writing crew is the standout for being below expectations, or if One Piece’s writing crew knocked it out of the park.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

And where's Thom?

In season 1, Stepin the Sad Warder had statues of 8 Forsaken in his chambers. One of them is holding a guitar. We’ve seen one other character in season 1 prominently holding a guitar… :tinfoil:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

They gave Elaida the dumbest possible motivation

Who? Has this person appeared in the show?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

DTurtle posted:

Also, which Whitecloak died in S1?

I suspect they are referring to Eamon Valda, who Egwene stabbed in the neck on her way out of the torture tent.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

"THAT INCLUDES YOU TOO, rear end in a top hat!"

Have we seen that on-screen as of season 2? If not, it probably merits discussion over in the TBB thread.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If I recall correctly, Josha Stradowski has read the entire book series. He should have a decent idea of what Rand’s mental state is at any given point, though whether that agrees with the writers’ changes is up for debate. Lord knows Rosamund Pike has read the series, but that doesn’t help with S2 Moiraine because that plot line was invented out of whole cloth for the show.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
For non-book readers, there is an official, Jordan-used-it-to-write-the-books set of power levels with all channelers (both male and female) placeable on it. I advise against searching online for the scale, though, because there are plenty of characters we haven’t seen yet in the show who would appear on that scale. Also there’s no guarantee that the show will retain that as canon anyway.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Whole buncha people discussing book information in the TV thread right now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone have the text from the dark prophecy handy? That recitation about “blood calls blood”, etc? I couldn’t quickly find it since the Google search was clogged with references to TV episode titles and the book’s version of the same prophecy.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

King of Bleh posted:

Rand can instantly vaporize a Fade by scowling at it, and the biggest concern is maybe it'll upset his girlfriend that he did so.

To be fair, his girlfriend pops people’s heads off on a whim and sets fires to cities if he asks for help. I’d be concerned about making her cross, myself.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

You could listen to the first two books just fine, probably the first 3. You'll run in to some odd stuff, but I don't think the first three will spill much more than the show has. The end of book three in particular has a ton of stuff not seen in the show, but all indications are we simply aren't going to see that stuff at all on screen. Narrative wise the end of book 2 and 3 are very similar, so they kinda got combined. The next season is going to match up with book 4.

As a show watcher you actually kinda know a lot more in some areas than you would in the first 3 books.

I sort of disagree with the above. I agree that books 1 and 2 are safe, but I believe that major arcs from both books 3 and 4 will be the primary plots of season 3 of the show. If you want to remain totally in the dark about upcoming events I would stay away from book 3 because there are too many interesting scenes and moments that haven’t yet been on-screen, but very easily could be.

Obviously can’t go into more detail here, given that any explanation would require book spoilers.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Communication issues leading to interpersonal drama? In my Wheel of Time thread?! :monocle:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is the thread’s “no book spoilers” policy intended to preserve the future plot of the show, or to allow TV watchers to become book readers and discover the differences on their own? There are a couple of things I’d like to credit the show for handling better than in the books, but that would obviously require discussing the books’ versions of those scenes and/or characters.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

And yes what happened to Ryma was distasteful, the Seanchan are the bad guys.

I’m going to pick at one word here. The Seanchan have said that their goal is to unite the world under the banner of the light. While there might be Darkfriends in their number, we’ve seen the same be true of Aes Sedai, Whitecloaks, and even Tinkers (thinking back to S2E1’s opening and trying to remember the various people around the table). As a geopolitical entity the Seanchan do not serve the Dark One—if you’re willing to trust what they say. The Whitecloaks also claim to want to serve the light, but they have very different ideas about what that means than Egwene and Perrin do.

If you’re willing to believe the various characters when they state their goals, there are a lot of people who think of themselves as good, but do monstrous things in the name of achieving their goals. But none of them are (so far as we’ve seen) the bad guy: the Dark One whose victory over the Dragon Reborn would mean an end to all creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

delightful posted:

I haven't read the book but am spoiling this dumbass thought. It being set in our future sounds kinda dumb, but it would be funny if future humans who traveled to another planet came back. A spaceship touching down in this fantasy setting would be insanely funny

See, I can’t comment on whether your spoilered text is addressed in this work—or indeed any other work—without giving away the answer. I agree that the genre mismatch would be fun if handled deftly.