Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Griz
May 21, 2001

went to walmart, I guess this was the student return week because it was packed on a Sunday afternoon and all kinds of random stuff was sold out

two people in the whole place wearing a mask out of hundreds, me and an old employee dude I saw going into the curbside pickup room on my way out

cases are going to explode everywhere in the next 2 weeks because of all the students traveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

its so loving wild that there are doctors and nurses who are vehemently against ppe

your patients are sick. do you want to get sick from your patients? dont they... teach this sort of thing at med school?

i went to orthopedics a few days ago to get a completely unnecessary xray so medicaid would approve a mri. one of the check-in guys had a mask, none of the nurses or people in the waiting room did, and the doctor was wearing a mask for the first time in like 6 visits so he was probably sick and showed up anyway

it's loving orthopedics, most of the people there are retirees getting hip/knee replacements on medicare

Griz
May 21, 2001

updated Pfizer/Moderna just got approved by FDA
CDC has their gatekeeping meeting tomorrow

Griz
May 21, 2001

Insanite posted:

are they... just not doing novavax?

the article I read said FDA is still looking at it but didn't give an estimated time

Griz
May 21, 2001

sonatinas posted:

yeah all the Walgreens and CVS around me don’t have the peds dose and my kids dr doesn’t either and I’m in metro Detroit. real cool!

when I scheduled on Walgreens there was a note about them not having pediatric doses for another 2 weeks or something

Griz
May 21, 2001

nexous posted:

why would you want to wear a surgical mask instead of an aura or other nice n95 anyways. moot point

N95/KN94/elastomeric is way more comfortable anyway since it doesn't touch my mouth

also props to those willing to tolerate all the dogshit poppers posts to call out blatant misinformation instead of just blocking them

Griz
May 21, 2001

my Walgreens actually has the new pfizer but it turns out loving medicaid isn't able to process it yet, pharmacist said they were also having problems with some private insurance but the guy behind me got it no problem.

Griz
May 21, 2001

fosborb posted:

so where is the $190 coming from? retail cost is ~$120. is CVS throwing $60 overhead on a 10 minute shot?

Walgreens quoted me $170ish

giant fee is the natural end result of a broken system where pharmacies and local health departments have to guess how many doses they'll need, pay out of pocket for them, and then only get reimbursed for half the cost of however many doses they actually managed to administer

quote:

The federal government previously paid roughly $20 per dose for the first round of coronavirus immunizations. The updated vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna are priced at $120 and $129, respectively, on the commercial market.

Many health departments may not be able to cover the costs of these newer formulations, according to Freeman, even with reimbursements. “Some of the challenges we’re seeing specifically with the local health departments’ involvement are that there are some billing issues with the vaccine in that the reimbursement available to local health departments is less than the cost of the vaccine,” Freeman said.

She noted one reimbursement rate she has been told of is $65 for every $120 dose.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4214770-new-covid-vaccine-campaign-off-to-a-bumpy-start/

Griz
May 21, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

this post has angered the shot as my arm is now sore and stiff. hope it fades before I go back to work tomorrow, I need that muscle to lift poo poo.

i got the shot on Monday and the lymph node in that armpit is still angry. the previous ones weren't nearly this bad

Griz
May 21, 2001

my great-uncle died and a bunch of old people are flying from Hawaii to NYC for the funeral followed by lunch at a restaurant

if I go I'm absolutely bailing before lunch because they're all gonna get sick

Griz
May 21, 2001

Walgreens used to have a notice saying pediatric appts would be available starting some time last week but now it says vax for under-12 isn't available yet

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I have slept in an Aura, as have three family members. It was a total non-event. Brisk walking in 90+ degree heat in one, though, sucked a lot.

Auras are quite comfortable but the ones without the exhale valve do get a bit damp if it's humid outside

if I had to wear a mask for more than like 2 hours I'd break out the elastomeric half-mask again, I wore that for the first summer and it didn't hurt my head/ears or get nasty inside. also way more tolerant of not shaving than Auras.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That’s how you find and manage those conditions, there’s a reason high blood pressure is called “the silent killer”

People also need a professional sometimes to push them into addressing unpleasant truths, eg erectile dysfunction being a gateway to getting men in for heart disease care

I didn't have a PCP until I went to urgent care for what ended up being a hernia, and the urgent care, ER, and surgeon were all like "you should really do something about that blood pressure"

then I had to wait like 2 months for the appointment to get a $1/month prescription

Griz
May 21, 2001

liquor store down the street now has "IF YOU ARE WEARING A MASK WE WILL ASK YOU TO REMOVE IT" sign on the door but i went in anyway and they didn't say poo poo

i don't think the current set of clerks have ever seen me without a mask

Griz
May 21, 2001

watching visibly sick people try to run away from me in the grocery store because i'm wearing a mask is oddly funny

Griz
May 21, 2001

went for MRI on Friday and the hospital system has already rescinded the mask policy that they reinstated 2 months ago

the liquor store has also removed the "no masks" sign that was up last week

Griz
May 21, 2001

shazbot posted:

I got my booster 2 weeks before my surgery was scheduled for 10/27 when cases were down, then the doctor rescheduled it for 11/30 and I’m definitely gonna get someone’s thanksgiving covid infection now

I got pfizer in September and now I'm thinking about getting moth juice at the start of January since I have to go for surgery two weeks later

Griz
May 21, 2001

shazbot posted:

anyone who works on EPIC wanna explain this one?

can I actually get another vaccine in a week?

I looked up novavax since I have to get surgery next month and the only guidance is "at least 2 months after receipt of the last previous dose of an original monovalent (Original) or bivalent (Original and Omicron BA.4/BA.5) COVID-19 vaccine"

no idea what they're doing with your scheduling since the dosing for unvaxxed is 3 weeks apart and boosters just get one shot unless immunocompromised

Griz
May 21, 2001

maxwellhill posted:

three out of three shipments i got from USPS this month were iHealth brand. it must go by state being shipped to

I live in NY and the last round was Celltrion Diatrust (Korean brand) shipped from Kansas

Griz
May 21, 2001

someone posted an article like a week ago about some vet giving dogs pax for "mystery dog illness" and it seemed to work

Griz
May 21, 2001

Complications posted:

If something serious is off with your eyes go see an eye doctor. It's like when something's up with your teeth and seeing a dentist - if nothing else those things have very direct access to your brain and if something's wrong you need to be moving on it posthaste.

also get diabetes screening, my dad didn't know he had adult-onset type 1 until his vision started going

Griz
May 21, 2001

loving cvs

they did not have novavax

Griz
May 21, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

Has anyone in the states successfully gotten Novavax after getting an mRNA booster in the fall? I got Moderna'd around Oct 1.

I found a Riteaid with novavax and drove all the way out there only to be told by the pharmacist that medicaid will not pay for novavax

it's loving $190 out of pocket

what a joke of a system

Griz
May 21, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Wait what? My brother is uninsured and we had to pay out of pocket too but it was only $140 for us

I remember the pfizer that came out a few months ago was $140 because medicaid was loving around with that one too and made me wait a week and a half before they were actually able to process it

Griz
May 21, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone please explain the pit bull thing. I can see that it's a class thing, but I don't understand why.

UK weirdos have been producing enormous incredibly hosed up inbred pitbulls which are now banned

https://twitter.com/sorkincel/status/1509244981478780929

Griz
May 21, 2001

I dunno what the gently caress I got or where I got it but I'm simultaneously sweating my rear end off and shivering uncontrollably in a 72 degree room since last night

rapid test was negative and I don't have a cough or fever (went to doctor for an unrelated appt today and they said my temp was 95??)

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

why would acknowledging that the education system already blows at supporting any kid with any type of need beyond the white middle class median and is going to implode like a bag of chips at the bottom of the mariana trench under the strain from more kids entering the pipeline with learning disabilities or classroom needs warrant a probe?

i am 40 some years old and the public schools in poor districts were loving garbage when i was attending them and they've only gotten worse since then

like they loving ran out of copy paper in mid spring two years in a row because the town couldn't pass a new school budget due to the giant nursing home in the district who all voted against everything

Griz
May 21, 2001

Jort Fortress posted:

He also recommended that I take magnesium and Vitamin D, not sure what that was about.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

I think vitamin D is one that can get too high though, so you shouldn't just start taking a bunch of it. If you're wondering then ask your doctor to add it to your labs for your next yearly physical or whatever.

you have to take like 100x RDA for months to get side effects from vitamin D, vitamin A is the one that fucks you up (don't eat too much liver)

I didn't know I was deficient until the doctor ordered the full blood test and then my garbage insurance made me pay $400 because they only covered the basic one

Griz
May 21, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

If it is a more restricted network the trade-off is that all but one of my prescriptions now cost precisely zero dollars and that includes my asthma medicine which is bonkers expensive at retail. Nothing like seeing "plan pays $1192.50 you pay $0."

my basic-rear end albuterol rescue inhaler was the one thing I encountered where my lovely employer insurance wouldn't pay for it

they made me pay like $60 when I was supposed to have a $20 copay (apparently uninsured was $70 at the time) and then some months later the insurance sent me a check for $40 saying "this should have been approved but wasn't" then some more months later a notice saying "previous payment was in error and now you owe us $40" but I didn't pay and nothing ever happened

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

is the lockdown here in the room with us

lockdown just means they weren't able to get their treats and see no distinction between nonessential businesses closing by govt order and "sorry closed today everyone is sick"

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the school closures are three and a half years in the past now and they will never, ever, ever let them pass into history. They will be shrieking about how school closures harmed kids a decade from now. Local radio here ran a bit about how the city school district "fell behind on services to disabled students by 600,000 hours and still hasn't made up for it."

there was a segment on NPR the other day about "chronic absenteeism" in public schools and how to address it

of course covid was not mentioned a single time

Griz
May 21, 2001

Insanite posted:

i assume lockdowns were to blame and that only a renewed emphasis on presenteeism was the solution

if they keep going with this poo poo they're gonna end up with Kamala's policy of throwing parents in jail if their kid gets sick too much

quote:

Malkus points to some low-cost options — like texting or email campaigns to increase parental involvement and encourage kids to get back in school – but says these, alone, aren't "up to the scale of what we're facing now."

Higher-cost options for schools to consider could include door-knocking campaigns, sending staff on student home-visits and requiring that families of chronically absent students meet in-person with school staff.
https://www.npr.org/2024/02/09/1228441120/covid-schools-students-learning

Griz
May 21, 2001

Soylent Majority posted:

lmao this gigavaxxed German dude

he was in the news for getting 90 vax by 2022 to sell fake vaccination records to idiots, and I guess that doesn't count as fraud because he kept doing it

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/man-germany-gets-90-covid-19-shots-sell-forged-vaccination-cards-rcna22737

Griz
May 21, 2001

checking into my doctor appointment wearing the usual Aura

"do you have a cold?"
"no"
"oh you just feel safer wearing a mask?"

I wasn't even the only masked person in the waiting room.

Griz
May 21, 2001

jetz0r posted:

my eyesight started getting worse real soon after we got our first computer. i also lost my tan and endurance.

but i got to play doom at lot.

I needed glasses in first grade and I didn't even have a computer then

re: sunlight everyone north of DC should be taking vit D supplements, that's why they have vitamin D fortified milk and orange juice

Griz
May 21, 2001

OSHA limit is 5000 ppm averaged over an 8 hour workday

Griz
May 21, 2001

Platystemon posted:

My question is: do you think that the server is masked in the update simply to match the medical professional in the first, or is the mask now a visual signifier of the help?

masks on public-facing employees are the most noticeable but there's probably just as many in the backroom office jobs where you have to sit within 10 feet of someone who's coughing all the time and refuses to take a sickday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

I posted hoping the medical goons would tell me if I’m a walking heart attack risk or if I’m just freaking out for no reason - since my doctors are saying nice things but not acting like it’s a good situation .

wasn’t looking for sympathy this time

not a doctor but your BP isn't THAT bad

failure to diagnose major anemia after 3 years of complaints about chronic fatigue would make me consider switching doctors though