Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mola Yam posted:

i believe that it is important to avoid infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2

Which variant is the one you're planning on getting to optimally configure your natural immunity to all other variants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Al! posted:

i feel like the baseball game line really should have pushed it over the top

The problem is that everyone else just didn't get my humor.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nexous posted:

that post was clearly facetious and you can tell because it’s never lupus

lighten up, laugh a bit. getting an influx of new posters is a good thing for this thread even if they are poking fun. they’ll see the data, learn how to get paxlovid, maybe wear a (better) mask.

Ohhhhh okay well now that you took time to explain the joke now its really funny thank you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Platystemon I have a message for you its "toop".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mawarannahr posted:

mid 19th c
"oh he washed his hands"
*doctor rolls eyes*

2025 doctor

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
As far as I can tell there is a large group that maintains that airborne diseases don't exist at all, and there are no examples. They have to arrive at that conclusion because as soon as you compare covid to any other disease its obviously more fit at floating, dispersing, and surviving.

That news item from earlier this week about mask standards for infectious respiratory diseases changing from respirators to surgical masks is a great example. The only way to arrive at that conclusion is to assume all diseases stop at droplet transmission.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"It's up to each individual to make their own personal-public-health decisions"
"No! Not like that!"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I did some quick googling and there's no such disease as coviid, so how could it stop the tour?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr. Nice! posted:

the metallica suit wasn't because any of the band got sick. it was governments shutting down things that caused the cancellation of a lot of tour dates, and this was not a covered peril in their contract. if they had gotten sick, i believe it would have been covered.

You've debated yourself into a corner where you have to say that insurance companies would cover something.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zerg Mans posted:

Whats the current cdc regs on boosters going into fall? Last one I got was the original bivalent.

President Joe said everyone should get one I think yesterday? So I think its going to be easy to boost.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh sorry I forgot that the CDC and FDA are apolitical organizations that Follow The Science and that its impossible that they would change their booster recommendations just because the president told them to. So actually it won't be possible for you to get one unless you're over 60 or immune-compromised.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pingui posted:

Yeah, right now it is clearly headed for a clusterfuck. I would not be surprised if the initial goon rush is met with "what vaccine?" and "we don't have that".

80 out of the total 3000 boosters that are asked for nationwide will be from this thread.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You got this, I believe in you fellow poster UnfortunateSexFart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5wDFhLdbow

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shazbot posted:

stay positive

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This is a fyad lite subforum. You can post goatse inline and use slurs. However there is one rule which must be followed at all times; do not suggest buying life insurance.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shiroc posted:

Thread echo chambering hard when one person makes bad posts, other people argue with them about the bad posts and everyone else ignores it because they don't want to deal with it.

The post goes in the moderators head and starts echoing around because there ain't nothing else in there.

Get wrecked mods

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I like how the most extreme end of the chart, which is bright red, says you can go to a party as long as you wear a mask in between food and drink.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jetz0r posted:

Everyone got distracted by the drama thread star pulling a spr. Which is also the same thing that happened the previous time.

100% of drama thread superstars who lead a push to close this thread buy themselves transphobic avatars and get permabanned.

It's because they're in an echo chamber.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

She's only posting that because of the amazon yankee candle echo chamber. It has nothing to do with covid.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Steve Yun posted:

glad I got my XBB1.5 booster in time for spring 2023

I can't wait to get my EG.5 vaccine in 6 months.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Petey posted:

my girlfriend's nephew, an adorable 8 month old whose pharmacist mom has not had him vaccinated, just tested positive; likely exposed at the large family party the gf and i skipped because it was a superspreader last year. very hosed!

Wow that must be a really tall 8mo old if they could infect an adult.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Oldest Man posted:

time to come up with a bunch of slang terms so the man doesn't know what you're talking about

flu

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I hate that I know exactly who is in this fur suit.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Its an airborne disease that can travel hundreds of meter through the air infecting people between in adjacent high rises. At the end of the day, you don't know where you got infected.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rochallor posted:

I have like 20 minutes before I have to leave so I clicked through and I regret doing so, I don't know if twitter has just gotten that much worse or if the dispute isn't confined to a single thread. Scrolling up and down this tweet has most of the conversation I guess.

It looks Jim Rosenthal responded to a tweet about a company selling an air filter that used the term CR-Box as part of its description, Jim Rosenthal responded by saying that CR-Box is a copyrighted term and suggested that the company donate a small portion of each sale to the Corsi-Rosenthal Foundation (which is apparently a thing). The company retorts that there is no trademark on the term and it's unpatentable. I think that's the end of it. Seems like a dick move on Rosenthal's part.

Monetizing something that is so easy to build yourself is poo poo though. Plenty of non-profits use legal force to ensure their contributions aren't abused by companies, for example, free software organizations. If you set out with a goal to make a free to use it makes sense to tell companies that try to monetize it to gently caress off.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"I can use the awareness raised by a non-profit as free marketing for my product they designed" is free market disruption that can only benefit consumers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

i think 2024 is the year we beat covid

I'm 100% sure we'll exterminate 4 or 5 different covid strains during 2024.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Oldest Man posted:

covok comes in and posts some panicky conspiracy brained gibberish and then a bunch of people who don't post in this thread decide to come in and agree with his terrible take

makes u think

Every cspam thread is about the world ending. This thread is about 1000x more optimistic than the global warming thread for example.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"lol the world is ending" - great post in the economics thread
"lol the world is ending" - great post in the global warming thread
"lol the world is ending" - the covid thread echo chamber claims another victim requiring mod intervention

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zugzwang posted:

I'll go to Applebees at 3 pm on Tuesday instead of at dinnertime on Friday

lockdown

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was watching Seinfeld - "The Lip Reader" and Elaine tells a taxi driver (I am not making this up): "Am I afraid of AIDS? Of course who isn't? But hey - you gotta live your life".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mawarannahr posted:

goons, if you're walking past or surrounded by coughing people, is it better to breathe by nose or mouth? I've considered this whilst masked on a crowded bus but sometimes walking outside unmasked. (I blow my nose then flush with spray when I get home )

You mean you don't reflexively hold your breath every time you walk past someone on the sidewalk?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you didn't notice its probably because you were locked down.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the entire spring 2020 american conservative covid rhetoric playbook is now gospel

Don't worry, this wave will be over by Easter and then everything will be back to normal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Paxlovid works by casting the Starcraft spell stasis on the virus in your body. You have to surround it with dragoons before it unthaws. This is why there are two pills, one gives your white blood cells mana to cast stasis and the other pill contains the goons.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Another victim of the covid thread echo chamber

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fansy posted:

Birx making that comparison is heavy

what was the name of that SAD goon with severe mental illness who was crying about this thread? The one who doxxxed themself? I want to enjoy some post history.

Remembering who people are on the forums, searching for posts, and enjoying drama are 3 steps down the dark path of a goon sagas poster.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Covid was an event that took place from April 1st to April 30th 2020. It was a really wild couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you want to quit coffee just buy a pound of coffee and a pound of decaf. Then when you take a tablespoon out of the coffee, you add back in a tablespoon of the decaf and slowly dilute your full-caff. By the time you finish all of it you'll be free with no withdrawals. I did this and quit for about 6 months and then realized I'd just rather drink coffee all the time. Okay so maybe it doesn't work.