Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Have to post an AAR after we beat scenario 72 (yes, that one) on the first try in a real squeaker. Spoilers for scenario 72. I've avoided class spoiler specifics, but if you don't want to know whether Circles, Cthulhu, and Three Spears have area attacks or not, don't read.

We're 6th level. After an initial conversation about tactics, we opted to concentrate on tree A first. By the end of the third turn, tree A was dead, Three Spears was poisoned at half health (he carries two shields and armor, so he was tanking hits from one of the two wings), and my Cthulhu-face was poisoned with 1 hp. The enemies from both wings were clustered on the boundaries between them and the central area.

Circles jumped over to the tree B area, and did his thing there. Other people ITT may think this class isn't very good, but he managed to solo his tree and all the spawns/summons before exhausting. I hid behind Three Spears, who continued to tank. Through a combination of area of effect attacks, poison, and stamina potions, we managed to clear the whole knot of enemies around us, leaving tree C and the spawn/summons there to deal with.

We had, I believe, three turns of ooze summoning, including two right in a row, and we were lucky enough not to get any Oozes healed through the whole scenario. We had several clutch plays that killed multiple oozes with their own summons, but Three Spears had a catastrophic turn where he did two big attacks and both missed thanks to curses. The turn I killed the final tree and ooze with an AoE was the turn before Three Spears would have exhausted. (Yes, I know, but we'd gotten so desperate that keeping himself going mattered less than winning.) I ended the scenario with 1 hp; Circles had exhausted from lack of cards, Three Spears had two cards left and 4 hp and was poisoned.

A spoiler comment about Circles and Item found in Scenario 4, as well as scenario 72: Circles ended up using the following summons: Wolves, Skeleton, and Thorn Shooter in the central area, then the Living Bomb to kill a Forest Imp, then the Lava Golem and Healing Sprite to clear out tree B and the oozes there (four in total after spawning and summons). We were annoyed because mid-way through the scenario he was still at full health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Circles spoilers
You're annoyed he had full health, but he summoned his lava golem to tank for him/do damage which means he cut his potential number of turns in half almost.

Not spoilers: we were not really annoyed. We were just that fake annoyed when your two characters have had to lose cards to stay alive and are getting hammered while your buddy is untouched and clearing half the scenario unaided. Circles has a lot of tools for avoiding being attacked.

I should add that (Circles spoiler) while the two wolves died quickly and the skeleton died before getting an action, the sprite, shooter and golem survived the whole scenario. The sprite actually got the golem back to full health right before Circles exhausted.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought about this and I feel like Strengthen is better just because you get 2 turns out of it right now and it's possible the blessing will never come up.

Any counter arguments?

Mindthief can get an amazingly thin modifier deck, at which point the odds of a blessing coming out shoot up considerably. Advantage will ensure you don't miss, but if all your minus cards and four +0s are out of your deck, you're getting very little benefit from it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
On Mindthief bless, the "X 2 damage doesn't help if I'd kill it anyway" is partly true but as enemy level increases the odds of killing something with a X 2 that wouldn't otherwise die go up. It is also really good against foes like Oozes which have good hp and you want to kill ASAP.

Bless isn't that useful for characters with big area of effect Attack 1 attacks, but if the Mindthief has the +2 augment out, you're getting +3 to +5 damage on a bless result, where Strengthen just guarantees you won't miss. Killing a monster unexpectedly can cause trouble, but often it allows another character to do extra damage by hitting a different target.

In terms of odds, if you get the deck down to 12 cards, you have an initial 8.333% chance of missing that goes up with each attack that doesn't miss. Strengthen allows you two attacks that can't miss, and if you pull the null card you'll reshuffle. If you don't pull null or X 2, you end up with 8 cards and a 12.5% chance of missing on your next attack. There's still value to the two attacks that might have missed, potentially equal to their value if you'd instead pulled a bless and a miss.

The ideal is to have a way to get both bless and strengthen; most likely, you need another character (like the Tinkerer) with one attached to a heal card, and you can then take the other for yourself.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I tried my first of the Solo Scenarios yesterday, specifically the Cthulhu one...hooooly crap hahaha.
I am just level 5 (the minimum requirement) and I got totally housed. I am kind of fired up about it though and want to figure out how to win. Granted that might take a few levels...but I like the difficulty jump compared to normal scenarios.

I tried it twice at level 5. The first time I brought the wrong cards. The second time (spoilers, obviously): I made good use of the "poison to add +1 damage to whole action" card, cleared the first room handily, then planned to damage and poison the imps in the next two rooms, run out of range to drop multiple AoEs on the vipers, and then use the "damage all poisoned enemies" card to kill the imps off. Naturally, I forgot that the imps have a Heal action, which they promptly used twice to clear away the poison and about half the damage I'd put on them.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 19, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Page 39 says "remove the event card from the game," not "destroy it." I assume nobody is indicating a lost card by taking a red marker and drawing an "x" through the card?

Piell posted:

But it could do it so much better if it had actual choices on event cards rather than the dice roll it normally is.

Like with the personal quests, there's unquestionably problems with the event cards and big improvements to be made for the next game. But there's nothing inherently wrong with being given some random choices. I have stronger objections to some of the campaign choices where you can gather information which leads you to make a misleading choice. Encountering berries and deciding whether or not to eat them is really no biggie as far as random benefit/penalty goes; honestly, the choice can be metagamed after the first time if you note the card ID, but that's not much fun.

What the game needed more of were city and road events driven by global choices and achievements. These choices lead to statistically minor consequences. Completely changing the rulership of the city only adds one town event? Shouldn't there be larger consequences? The problem is that there's currently no mechanism for removing event cards prior to their happening, or forcing events to happen, so the game doesn't register if you're in the middle of investigating a problem or have resolved it. The easy solution there would be to have events that begin "if Global Achievement Y is complete remove this card from the game and instead resolve event card 94" where the replacement event cards are only ever added/triggered in this way.

Creating a stronger connection between things you do as a party and events that happen to you would enhance the narrative of the game, make decisions seem more consequential, and strengthen the feeling of role-playing. I can understand that for the first attempt, the events were more of an afterthought as getting the major game systems to work properly were a priority, but I hope later games find ways to make some events matter more, without completely doing away from whimsical or random events.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

I went from rock monster to Triforce, and I'm enjoying Triforce immensely! I like to mix things up completely so that's probably why. I'm only at level... 3? I think, on Triforce, so I think I'm gonna enjoy it wayyyyy more soon.

I've been struggling with the class for a while and might write something up lengthier at some point.

Spoilers for Triforce: I will say that it is well worth sitting down with the cards and looking at what elements get put out or consumed. Generally speaking, you're preferring pairs of elements but it's a few sets of specific pairs. The mostly unhelpful materials presently available are right that the class relies upon getting elements from your modifier deck (assuming you don't have members of the party who can provide elements for you), though as with all the Reddit guides it ignores scenario conditions, too, and doesn't mention that you're going to like fighting demons because they'll provide elements you can probably beat them to using. (Or you will hate them for beating your initiative and stealing your elements.)

The less obvious thing is that you really prefer having 2+ elements to consume every turn. Without using a loss card, you can't put out a pair you want until higher levels, so your best bet is to put out one element and hit as many targets with a single attack as possible in the hopes of getting a second pulled as a modifier. Since your element modifiers don't roll, you need to go for volume: Crystallizing Blast at L2, but Ice Spikes or Tremulant Cyclone can potentially get the job done, too, as can a multi-target attack. You'll get best results in a larger party, as they'll not only be putting out more elements but the higher number of enemies makes multi-targeting AoE attacks easier. There's a few possibilities for result:
A. You get the element you wanted to complete the pair (for example, Earth plus Ice to get Shaping the Ether as an Attack 1 Range 3 Target 2 Stun attack).
B. You get the element you wanted and more besides. Either you were aiming for a card that can benefit from the extra element (oh, my Shaping the Ether ends up being Attack 3 instead!), or you should think about switching to a 4 element consume card or combination instead to take advantage. Or, if you have Formless Power in play, get +1 attack to whatever you were doing. (You'll more commonly use this power and your other wild-card consumes to address Dark or Light, as you can't otherwise consume them until high level and you're likely to be putting them out sometimes.)
C. You get nothing. This is going to be somewhat common. You can either drop another AoE card if one's available (and note that both Crystallizing Blast and Tremulant Cyclone benefit from a single element consumption), or use a card needing that one element (preferably one that grants XP). Once you hit level 5, Winter's Edge gives you an Attack 5 you can use on a turn when elements aren't available, though the short range is a bit of a complication.

The desired pairings are somewhat obvious, but for reference, your best pairs of elements are Air/Fire and Earth/Ice. Also, Air and Ice are most valuable to you in gaining XP, though obviously that can change depending upon how you build your deck.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There have been complaints about one specific guest scenario designer a couple times upthread, but I haven't tried out the scenarios in question and I don't remember which ones they were from the spoilerfree part of the complaints. He's only done a few sidequests.

My group hasn't had complaints about scenarios and several people specifically said how they liked several of the scenarios from said guest designer. I suspect some group's playstyles clash with them. The scenario design overall seems to be pretty robust and I've seen multiple scenarios that went from "how can we possibly manage this one" to a decisive victory, as well as a few "just barely won at the last second."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are two scenarios potentially early on in the campaign (11/12)that are loving garbage and I will never play them again. They're built on a potentially neat concept that doesn't work in practice. I get why people who are masochists like them but they are wrong.

One of the side scenarios (81) is basically unplayable as a certain class (Triforce, unless you are 7+) because it hard counters your main mechanic.

We skipped scenario 3 and thus never played the first set of two scenarios. And we just played the last one mentioned above, but with characters who had no problem or an advantage (Sun, Circles, Cthulhu). But I am playing Triforce right now and I'd find that scenario an interesting challenge.

Approach would depend heavily on how the other characters are equipped and what they play. The element change happens at the start of every turn, so any element someone else puts out is usable if you go later in the round. You could focus on going slowly and using those elements provided. Alternately, Formless Power plus a low init card allows you to consume both Light and Dark to deny it to the enemies, though the fast boss special cards will almost always beat you. (Infernal Vortex and Primal Duality can beat one of them.)

Personally, the only scenario that seemed ill-conceived that we've seen so far was in the Seeker line, 54, the final of the three. With no spawning or other mechanic in the final room, the other characters have relatively little to do and if the questing character doesn't have much damage-dealing, it can take a long time to grind out a victory. Aside from making himself a target, our Brute had nothing much to do while my Saw-class Seeker gradually worked his way to winning. Characters with more healing or with disarm/stun might have had more to do, though.

That isn't to say that you can't have frustrating experiences in other scenarios, either. There's so much variation in terms of who comes with which characters and cards and items that people could have wildly divergent experiences. I suspect the biggest X-factor is random item designs, some of which are game-changers for specific classes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I retired my Cragheart a while back and I sorely miss his battlefield control. While I really like my current class (Cthulhu face) it pales in comparison to how fun Cragheart was.

It will get fun by level 7 for sure, or sooner if you're willing to mess with your fellow party members (you can usually fix it later).

Cocks Cable posted:

What are everyone's house rules? We've been playing with the following to mostly make things harder.

1) Stamina Potions are -1 cards.
This is to reduce the lazy over reliance on them and force more tactical card decisions and hand management. Even at just 1 card, I find minor stamina potion worth it and definitely use it every scenario.

2) No free perks for past retired characters.
This feels like a wholly unnecessary rule that's only there to blunt the transition pain of your first retirement. I've retired 5 characters now so it would be ridiculous for me to get 6 free perks. After you get like 3 free perks and some Prosperity, Battle Goals lose all importance and I found myself ignoring them for the most part. There are not nearly enough Perks per character to force interesting decision making so a bunch of extra perks are going to nullify that completely.

The first few free perks are a help, especially at lower prosperity levels, but at higher levels the free perks are a handicap for several characters because they make it harder to have a lean modifier deck.

I could see several house rules to limit Stamina Potions, including any of the following:
1. Stamina Potions cannot recover cards you played on the turn that you used them. (This prevents playing a strong combo of cards two turns in a row.)
2. Stamina Potions work as written but you must also lose a card. (That's probably too harsh, though making them recover an extra card might help balance out. This change suddenly makes them much less useful to characters with a small hand and much more to those with lots of cards.)
3. Use a minor stamina potion at the end of your turn to treat a short rest as though it were a long rest. (A major potion could have that effect for two rests, marking with a token when it is first used.)
4. Use a minor stamina potion at any time instead of losing a card. (A major potion can be used twice.)

Obviously, any change is going to have a considerable impact on gameplay. The -1 card rule, for example, makes minor stamina potions better for characters starting with an odd number of cards.

I think the only house rule we've been playing with has been to allow someone whose character hadn't leveled yet to swap a personal quest (Three Spear with the exhaust yourself quest, which was a real mismatch.) Mostly we've been patching fixes upon discovering somebody made a mistake and took both cards at level up instead of one, or should have retired two scenarios ago, or had purchased an item that someone else in the party who missed that week already owned.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In RAW:

If you have advantage and draw a rolling modifier you add the two cards together. If you draw two rolling modifiers you draw another card and add the three together (etc). This means that you are no longer taking the best of two options, which means you can now miss even with advantage.

Lots of people (us included) think this is poo poo.

Since advantage normally involves comparing two cards one option is to instead compare two stacks (eg stack 1: rolling+1, +0 vs stack 2: +0). There are a few different ways to compare them, like by looking at the total effect or by looking at the terminal cards.

It does change the balance slightly (and you can work out how to apply it to disadvantage too) but it feels more elegant and in the spirit of what advantage should do.

There's a bit of debate about it though.

For our part, we prefer RAW because rolling modifiers are about unpredictability while deck winnowing is about predictability. Missing with advantage bothers me less psychologically than pulling two or three of the same rolling modifier effect (poison/poison/poison, say), even though the latter changes nothing except your chances of pulling that same modifier effect again before you reshuffle and the former means you missed. Like much in Gloomhaven, the characters you play will end up with such different modifier decks that it's a really different experience. I suspect our new Lightning class will really want to be using multiple stacks instead RAW, for example, while my Saw class rarely cared.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, this is what I mean by less tactical. Ages ago I was wondering about people talking about using invis cloak to open doors and I didn't really see why that would be so important. But yeah, if you don't know what is on the other side, then you need to stick to generic plans like that instead of being able to come up with one that suits the room.

Surprise is fun in and of itself, so the extra surprises might be fun enough to make that a good tradeoff. I'll let you know once I've tried it.

Your impression of what is tactical doesn't match mine. Tactics are in large part about figuring out how to respond to unexpected situations, especially ones where things didn't go as planned. Suggesting that a list of potential options which you have to choose from with little or no information is less tactical than having perfect information and working out exactly what to do to deal with the things behind a closed door is placing emphasis on puzzle solving over problem solving. Nor is that list of three items the only potential ways to approach opening a doorway. For that matter, the best option when going through a door depends heavily on a whole list of factors (scenario goal, party condition, known enemy types, available cards in hand). You can't just have a "generic" plan, you have to adapt to the specific circumstances, despite not yet knowing all of them.

For example, in a scenario last night we were playing, you had to deal hp damage to doors and dropping a door to 0 hp "opened" it. Our tank ended up moving over to open a second door by herself before we'd cleared the first room, in part because circumstances made things too congested in the room for her to get in there (Cragheart created obstacles on top of lots of monsters) and in part because we were being forced to expend so many resources on the first room that we were worried about exhausting before we met the "kill all monsters" objective. The player had to play cards attacking the door which allowed for several potential contingencies if it opened (which, based on attack + modifier, might happen unexpectedly). If the room beyond had fewer monsters or if the monster tactics were non-threatening, she could enter the room or stand in the doorway to restrict the number of potential attackers; if the room was chock-full and had a mix of ranged and melee foes, she could back off. This character has built around retaliate damage, so she wants to be attacked but needs to control how many foes are hitting her and on which turn of combat as much as she can.

If we'd had perfect knowledge of the room contents prior to opening doors, we'd have started off with a different room, and this player wouldn't have had to be as creative in his card selection because he'd know exactly the situation on the other side of the door.

So from my perspective, the list of potential approaches to a given door is longer (and thus more tactically complex and interesting) than having knowledge of what's behind the door in advance and thus knowing that you can play a given move card and be in range to hit a target with a melee attack, meaning you select a single option and don't have to improvise as often.

I also think that there's over-emphasis on damage avoidance in a lot of the online discussions about Gloomhaven. If you don't have a specific battle goal, winning a scenario with 1 hp and winning it without any damage makes no difference. It makes sense to take advantage of all the resources available to you, and health is a resource in the game. Overly risk-averse play can be fun for some players, but the game doesn't make it necessary and my group is certainly enjoying finding ways to win scenarios that appeared hopeless mid-way through. Once you allow that possibility, the "open door and do what" problem admits to a lot of potential solutions, including:
4. Moving in while coordinating with one or two other characters so that you can spread potential damage across all of you.
5. Deploying your clever shield/retaliation combination and charging into the room.
6. Moving in and dropping a summons to pull focus.
7. Opening the door and deploying a trap.
8. Opening the door, backing off a bit, and pulling one enemy into it to block the others.
9. Run into the room and drop an AoE stun.

Any of these could potentially be sub-optimal based on unavailable information, but that's the case in plenty of ways (shield/retaliate/some attacks are useless if an enemy has a fast Shield 5 instead of attacking on its turn). A clever player won't rely on one technique (move in, go invisible) when flexibility is more effective, although a few specific characters are optimized around a specific approach that works most of the time. For instance, going invisible and corking the door seems broken-good until enemies fly past you and focus on another character.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 20, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cocks Cable posted:

No it is not. Otherwise the scenario book would be laid out extremely differently and you would not be able to repeat scenarios. This whole "you can't see the next room" is entirely an invention on your part. I don't begrudge you for playing that way but the rulebook doesn't support you.

I know people are sick of this conversation, but I can't let this comment slip past. I have no idea what the 1st edition rulebook says, but the 2nd edition rulebook states the following (bolded in original) on page 13:

"Note that only monsters in the starting room are placed at the beginning of a scenario. Monster standees each have a number to determine the order in which they act during the turn (see Order of Action on p. 29 for details). The standee numbers should be randomized when placed."

And on page 19, under Revealing a Room: "During any part of a character's movement, if they enter a tile with a closed door, flip the door tile to the opened side and immediately reveal the adjacent room on the other side of the door. The Scenario Book will then specify what monsters, money tokens, and special overlay tiles should be placed in the revealed room, based on the number of characters (including exhausted characters)..."

The game is designed around not knowing what monsters are behind the door (and where they are). Nor are the money tokens or other overlay tiles placed until the room is revealed by opening a door. On a replay, you might well remember, but if you're replaying you're probably either doing it because you lost the first time and the extra edge helps ensure you win the second, or you're returning to a past scenario in casual mode. Having just replayed scenario 2 in casual mode with L6 and L7 characters, I can say that it's a very different experience and your memories of playing at L1 will not be as helpful as one might think.

You paid for your game, so play however you want. But it is worth double-checking before making any claims about what is or is not in the rulebook.

I just retired Cthulhu and enjoyed it a lot. But I think Saw is my favorite of the classes I have played thus far. I'd love to see a 3P group with Saw, Sun, and Eclipse.

Falstaff posted:

Does anyone else play with the permadeath rule? How are you liking it?

My group implemented it because we found that losing a scenario was incredibly toothless. With permadeath, it gives us incentive to play conservatively sometimes. Though, we did houserule things so that if your character dies, you have the option to keep the same retirement quest and whatever progress you've made toward it, so that death is a setback but not a devastating one.

Admittedly, it's only come up once so far (we're all ~L4), but we've had a number of close calls, and it really increases the tension.

We've played a number of scenarios later on where a player voluntarily exhausting was the only reason we won. With permadeath, you'd either have to lose the scenario and repeat (which can be fun but isn't always) or sacrifice a character. I might consider it when we play through one of the minicampaigns, though.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

And on that point please be mindful in the future. You didn't need to specify what class the person was to get the point across. Please understand I enjoyed the discussion and enjoyed reading your input. This thread is hard to read without extracting incidental spoilers, but I sincerely appreciate the effort generally put into making discussions readable where possible. It's the only place I read about Gloomhaven because I have zero trust in redditors - hell, just trying to read Isaac's AMA I accidentally got a similar mechanics spoiler where he said that Circles class has a particular theme. I thank you and the rest of the thread for the high level of caution that lets me enjoy your strategy and conceptual discussions without spoiling any unlockable game content.

If this seems :qq: well maybe it is a bit. I respect that you didn't name the class, or detail its abilities, and you may even mean the class has those abilities in the same sense the Spellweaver does (like, sure, they're there, but I personally wouldn't consider them important to class identity). Anyway, thanks.

Edited, although I thought carefully about providing that information and judged that spoiler-tagging was impractical. Spoiling the generic names of classes, as you mention, makes little sense as it's impossible to know whether what has been spoiled is a spoiler for you specifically without revealing it. (Example: my group presently has only Angry Face locked. I've been spoiled on the class name as well as its basic theme thanks to this kind of spoiler.) I felt that the information being revealed (a class has a retaliate build) wasn't unreasonable given that it's not a "standard" build for the class in question, and it was useful information for anyone reading the post who was familiar with the class and why such a build would be worth trying (as well as why it isn't typically advocated online, just like shield-focused builds generally aren't).

The alternatives are to spoiler-tag an entire discussion and list the spoilers within (hey, don't read unless you have unlocked class Z), or to spoiler-tag the class name (worse than useless), or to omit the information entirely, which means the only hint available for someone trying to figure out which class I meant would have been the pronoun usage. On Boardgamegeek, one can at least start a new thread and label the thread-specific spoilers, although people aren't always good about that and the Angry Face name got exposed to me there in a thread where I wasn't expecting to see it (I believe under a spoiler tag, but in a way that didn't tell me what was being hidden from me). In any event, specific classes lend themselves to opening doors better than others, though that's not as obvious with the starting six characters.

While on that subject, for the thread: the Brute is an obvious door opener, and the Scoundrel or Mindthief with invisibility. What other clever door-opening maneuvers are characters capable of pulling off? For example, the Gadgeteer's supposedly-useless trap cards have an obvious use when opening a door: stand in the doorway and drop a trap, and odds are good that enemies inside the room will be forced to trigger it. (You're probably stuck using a top-action trap, though.) The Cragheart can drop obstacles into a room to deal damage and also provide personal protection after door-opening. And the Lightning class sometimes wants to suffer damage, and doesn't need a special trick at all to run through a door and get clobbered. Are there any other tricks people have tried and had success with?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

We've got a situation where all 4 members of our party have retired at the same time and we can start a fresh group. We'll be playing again in two weeks but I'm looking for suggestions on good synergies. The classes we've unlocked so far are:

Brute (not played yet)
Tinkerer
Spellweaver
Scoundrel
Cragheart
Mindthief
Sunburst (not played yet)
Ubisoft
Cthulhuface (just unlocked)
Lightning Bolts (just unlocked)
Music Note (just unlocked)
Handsaw

A few options here, depending upon whether you want a synergy built on elements or a broader sort. If it were me, I'd go for Ubisoft/Cthulhu/Music Note/tough-one (Brute, Sun, or Lightning would all do). That's really a "maximize Music Note" kind of party construction, although there's a small synergy between Brute/Cthulhu and a slightly bigger one between Cthulhu and Music Note at higher levels. The trick is finding someone with the patience to play Ubisoft well. That's also a slightly fragile party construction, requiring Ubisoft to take some hits. Swapping Cthulhu for the Scoundrel would be very effective, or you could swap in a second high hp character. (I wouldn't recommend Cragheart and Ubisoft together in a group of four.)

Another interesting party would be Lightning/Saw plus two others. Music Note works with just about everyone; if you take that class as a third, you'll want a fourth with some crunch-power (Brute/Scoundrel/Cragheart/Mindthief).

A lot depends on your current prosperity level and where you are in the campaign. By the mid-campaign (15 mainline scenarios or so), you need a good answer for shields, and conditions become an increasing concern.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

WCL posted:

First off, really glad she is giving the game a go!

Second, as someone who suffers from analysis paralysis in other games this actually ends up being a non-offender once you fully learn how things work (which is a fair amount) and just accept things will fail half the time cause the monsters will ruin your master plans.

It also helps to have played a character a few times so you become more familiar with your options.

Often the best and most memorable scenarios are the ones where your plans go wrong repeatedly. We've had several that we barely managed to salvage after things initially went wrong (scenario 29 was like that: didn't help that three out of four players were running new characters), and a few that we lost and learned very valuable lessons from. Spoilers for Circles class: We ran one scenario where the Brute and Sun hopped into the middle of enemies and got savaged, and Circles brought out too many summons and crowded the narrow corridors so much that we couldn't maneuver effectively. By the time we arrived at the last room--which had mostly oozes--we were out of gas. Fortunately, we were running in casual mode because the other party had already cleared the scenario. (Sun wanted to run it because of his personal quest.) Circles was careful after that not to bring out too many summons at once. It is my understanding that most groups don't encounter this problem because they aren't as effective at keeping summons alive.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Well, yeah. I agree - it is pessimistic. But, two things: first, there doesn't seem to have been any acknowledgement that these aspects were weak and that they want to improve them, as opposed to just giving us more of the stuff I don't like. Second, I'm giving them the benefit of the assumption that the tactical combat poo poo will be top notch and for the same reason I expect that the puzzles will not be. I'll be happy to be wrong because I'm almost certainly buying it!

Even if it comes out and is weaker than the core game, it's probably still pretty good. If it's only and 8/10 instead of a 9.5/10 like the base game, that's still an easy buy for me.

The core game mechanics are sound, and Isaac has gotten a lot of feedback (positive and negative). That doesn't mean he will fix everything you (or I) didn't like about the first game; some of it was designed for specific reasons which might appeal to some players but not others. I'm unclear that he's deploying the word "puzzle" with much precision, both because of what some of the multiple choices in the base game suggest about what he thinks constitutes a puzzle, and because of the whole Envelope X thing.

Based on Marcel's designs in the base game, we can make some guesses about what constitutes a puzzle:
Spoilers for scenario 52: Breaking a core mechanic by separating the characters and forcing each one to figure out how to operate solo.
Scenario 54: Placing a limitation which again forces one character into a leading role.
In multiple of his scenarios, he has a goal besides "kill all enemies" that involves some level of thought; my sense is that figuring out how to tackle these goals constitutes a "puzzle" from Isaac's perspective. I'd bet we'll end up with a mix, but I want to see them experiment and try things that may or may not work for the majority of their audience so that Isaac can take that feedback into account for the next big game.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

million dollar mack posted:

That scenario is objectively the worst one in the game

Highly depends on party composition. We had Sun, Cthulhu, Circles, and Cragheart and had very little trouble. Granted, we unlocked it around L3 and were L6-7 before actually attempting it.

I'll second the vote for scenario 26 as extremely tough (largely because you have to plan and play very differently because of the win condition). Probably harder than 72 until you figure out an approach, because you may have to take multiple cards you don't usually use, or, in some parties, do some purchasing.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Haroshia posted:

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for them. We're making it through the campaign really fast because two players, so knowing there's more content is good to know.

The one thing we're running into since we're prosperity 6 is the difficulty is getting pretty rough. Level 4 difficulty as soon as one of us levels plus a lack of enhancements seems to make some monsters especially difficult. The big issue is getting enough gold to buy enhancements (since there are fewer enemies) and having to donate to the sanctuary because getting prosperity with only two players able to donate loving blows . Damage seems to scale very poorly with monster difficulty at high levels, and bosses loving wreck us since they are huge buckets of HP. Having more perks from retirements and leveling is nice and helps offset issues, but man it sucks when your most damaging ability does 5 damage and the monster has shield 4 and retaliate. Is there something we're missing about high level damage? Are enhancements key to making high level play function? Should we basically just give up on donating until we get some good enhancements?

Depends upon which two characters you're playing. If you don't have a built-in way to deal with Shield, your main solutions are either Wound or Poison. You have access to several weapons that allow you to add those conditions. Dealing with bosses is going to be a little tricky depending upon your characters and on the boss, as they have different condition immunities. Bosses should have half as many hp with two characters as with four, so I'm not sure why you feel it's taking so much longer to beat them. Obvious solutions include trying to have as many blessings in your modifier decks as possible (unless you have a way to add them--enhancements are one good way--you'll need luck), saving a summon or two for the boss (always making sure to have the non-summoning character go first on initiative), and having retaliate running in order to do as much damage as quickly as possible. Certain characters are much better at killing bosses quickly because they have good tools in their decks (the Scoundrel can double up on an Attack 5 once per scenario, for example).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Triforce suggestions:
A lot of your approaches need to change as you gain levels and add elements to your modifier deck. At level 2, you'll have Crystallizing Blast, Ice Spikes, and Tremulant Cyclone as your best cards to pull modifier cards for elements. You have one use double-element infusions, and a bunch of valuable single element infusions. If another character in the group puts out elements you can use, you'll want to build around that at low level because getting two that you want will be difficult. Despite all the awesomeness of imagining Cyrstallizing Blast with Curse, save for an element on one of your infusion moves first (I suggest Ice/Earth or Ice/Air, depending upon what other elements get put out by your party).

Again, starting out you may want the bottom of Formless Power, coupled with cards good with a single element you can guarantee you put out. Stoking Hail is a keeper; the two 48 init cards are OK early on, and probably not Malleable Evocation or Shaping the Ether. Stick with combos you know you can set up for and execute. Going with the melee cards actually helps at this point.

By L5, you can use Winter's Edge at close range for reliable damage on turns when you don't have elements running. If you don't have friends to use the Light/Dark, you can either use one with a L3 card or your Formless Power booster or wait until you get Vengeance at L7. (Curious why the Elementalist gets light and dark? Wait until you unlock scenario 81 to find out.

By this time as well, you should reliably be able to produce 2-3 elements, though you won't be able to predict all of them. You now want to carry the 48s as well as Malleable Evocation and Shaping the Ether. Your goal is to look for the card which best uses the available elements based on what you want to do. (Prioritize XP when you can, too.) Just need a big attack? Fire/Air or Earth/Ice will get the job done with the right Augmentation/Enhancement card. Shaping the Ether has the powerful Earth/Ice option of doing a two target stun; generally, you won't want to play this card without Earth for two targets, except when there's only one reasonable target anyway. Malleable Evocation requires you to wait until you get the right mixture of elements to fit your need; I generally found the bottom more useful (Move 5/jump is nice for Fire/Air), but immobilize and wound are useful and the top attack is one of your few options to take advantage of the rare circumstance where you have all four elements out.

Two other notes: You'll do well if you can arrange to fight demons, as they'll help generate a predictable element for you, and you can often keep them from consuming it by doing so first. Make sure you have plenty of your fastest initiative cards, though. Secondly, the timing of your big loss cards is different from most classes. Aim to use one earlier than you normally would, especially the ones that generate elements. Think of them as set-up cards, not finishers. That said, they can be devastating with the right combination. Lava Eruption is only Attack 1 all enemies within Range 4, but +1 from Formless Power, +3 from items, and potentially another +2 from ally cards suddenly means you're doing Attack 7 on everyone.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I wish people talked about lightning bolts this much! Not as complex though obviously.

I haven't played the class myself but I'm seeing it played now: He's trying a retaliate build because all the Reddit guides said it wouldn't work and he's just coming off proving summons are overpowered. We're at Prosperity 6, so there are items that can help with this build, and we have Music Note who also has a way to help. Thus far it's been a little tricky to pull off, but at least once per scenario he will and we'll see 4-5 enemies attack and each take 7 damage ignoring shield. Anything that survives will get killed soon enough, and taking damage is desirable. It also helps that the group has really pushed curses; it's relatively common for half the incoming attacks to miss and then take the retaliation.

I think the ideal group for this build might be Lightning, Music Note, Cthulhu-face, and Three Spears. The main weakness (obviously) is ranged enemies.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We beat both scenarios but it was touch-and-go.

This is one of my favorite things about Gloomhaven. I'm running two parties (not campaigns) at once, and we're pretty far along (past scenario 31) and recently had the party that hadn't played Scenario 2 go through on casual mode with three L6-7 characters. We just barely squeaked out a victory.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, now that I've played around with a lot of classes and scenarios, I wanted to talk about balance. There are a few things that all sort of come into play when talking about balance.

The encounter design is good throughout the game with only a handful duds in the whole scenario book. The early scenarios are very well-balanced for low-level starting characters. This consistently good scenario design is what impresses me most.

The scenario balance stops working so well once you are at high levels with synergies and perks and lots of items, but that is both unavoidable and at the same time easily fixable just by realizing that you are crushing everything and turning up the difficulty. There really isn't any way to balance around the possible strengths of all parties, so the key thing is having a simple slider to increase or decrease difficulty - which Gloomhaven has. So top marks here, too.

The class balance also goes to poo poo a bit once you start opening boxes. Most of the unlockable classes are stronger than the starting classes, and a couple are a lot stronger. (And one is stupidly broken). I'd give it a solid B for class balance (for reference, I would give D&D 4e a B or a C depending on how many splats you include). Fixing that one class would put it up to an A.

When the first characters get unlocked, several of the starters should have 3-4 enhancements, so you can't compare straight across. And class power varies strongly based upon number of players and cross-character synergy; the more "broken" characters just tend to care less about such synergies than the "suboptimal" ones.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I ride bikes all day posted:

So weird. The store page has a bunch of 3rd person screenshots with obvious hexes on the ground. IGN is so poo poo tier, wouldn't surprise me if they were just flat wrong. Either way, it's clearly a "inspired by," not a digital recreation.

IGN article has updated, saying the early access version will be 1 player and there will be multiplayer added later. Sounds like it will begin with random dungeons and they play to add the campaign later.

"The plan is to eventually build out the whole campaign over the course of its development as it will initially launch in Steam Early Access. Asmodee says they are looking forward to using the Early Access period to get feedback and ideas of what exactly players want to see brought over from the physical game."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

We did our first four-player scenario over the weekend, my wife and I brought in two friends so the group was Me Brute, Wife Mindthief, Friend #1 tinkerer, Friend #2 spellweaver.

We did scenario #4 with the difficulty turned down to Easy and it went well -- again, the biggest hurdle was explaining initiative, oddly, but once the cards were all down everyone got it pretty fast; each session seems to be moving faster than the last. All in All going down to Easy was probably a mistake but I was worried it'd be too hard if we stayed on normal given two new players with level 1's and two players with level 2's.

We found running on Easy for the first 3-5 scenarios makes sense, waiting until everyone has some play experience and has gotten enough cash to purchase another item or two past the starting equipment. It's also a good way to get people hooked.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Those of you who do Solo Scenarios but didn't buy a booklet, how did you print out the scenario documents and the item cards without seeing any spoilers? I browsed the freely-available PDFs a bit but I couldn't even scroll down past the first row of item cards because I figured the second row would have spoilers (I didn't get to see the Cragheart and Mindthief items :( )

A recent discussion (was it here?) suggests that you are actually meant to study the solo scenarios before attempting to play one. So that part of the spoilers isn't a big thing. If it bothers you, I know they're included in the Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer app.

For printing, I just selected the correct pages, duplexed, and then tried my best to cut the cards out from the back. It wasn't perfect and the cards ended up the wrong size, but as you're never going to shuffle item cards it doesn't matter that much.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Where'd you find that anyway? I agree it's many times better than either reddit wiki guide. It lines up with my thoughts from studying the class very well.

Also, at level 8 I'd consider going back to take the other level 7 card. It looks pretty fine to me.

Yeah, it's the best I've read, despite still making utterly baffling claims at times. Triforce spoilers:
He dismisses the L1 stun two targets attack because you'll never have both earth and ice at the same time. Yeah, not if you insist on putting your element generator on the card that gives you air you won't.

You really have to tweak your build to adjust both to any element generating colleagues in the party and to any random items you unlocked that help you. And depending on how early you unlock the class and whether your group plays on hard/very hard, I would even advise adding a specific element to one generator card and then save for the generate any element second. I never felt a need for extra movement once I worked out which element pairs you want. (Generally, that's Earth/Ice or Air/Fire, at least until you pick your L5 card.) once you have two ways to generate pairs of elements that you want, the class really becomes obnoxiously effective.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just unlocked Triforce in my solo TTS campaign last night and uhhhhh yeah that certainly is a class that exists. I'm not excited for it at all but I'm happy to read thoughts and ideas from the rest of you and I'm glad to read about people who like it :)

I retired a Cragheart and immediately started a new one because part of my retirement involved adding Curse to the top of Dirt Tornado and now I want to actually use it. I also had enough gold to add +1 attack to the top of Crater. I wanted to add jump to a commonly used move card but the best option was the bottom of Explosive Punch and I didn't have enough gold for that so I settled for the Crater upgrade and a sanctuary donation.

Yes I realize that Curse Dirt Tornado is less awesome with only 2 characters but it's still fun to do and I'm enjoying the results so far.

Plus the Cragheart is just awesome fun.

Triforce solo would be difficult, though I suppose if you had Cragheart or Mindthief as the second character you'd be able to reliably set yourself up with the elements you need. It's a very attention- and time-intensive class. Someone with lots of time on their hands could try a solo party of Triforce and Circles...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Xad posted:

Sun and two minis: give the bear advantage and extra attacks/moves. The two minis modifier deck gets ridiculous, let that bear attack as much as possible

Yeah, I'd say do a support build. The bear needs healing and Sun can provide that handily. If the bear's in trouble or you're facing enemies with retaliate, Sun can step up with a few big attacks or play fast cards to pull monster focus. Bear plus bless does nice things, too.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rosalind posted:

I'm very excited to play this with my friend for the first time tonight. We're doing a spellweaver/mindthief duo which I know is gonna be mad squishy. Anything I can do to make this a more enjoyable experience/not get our butts handed to us?

I would advise playing your first 2-3 scenarios on "easy" (monsters are level 0). The game difficulty is higher at the start because you don't have many items and don't know how to play yet. If you or your friend are easily discouraged, playing on easy may work out better than losing several scenarios multiple times.

You can always revisit later in "casual" mode. We replayed Scenario 2 with a level 7 party and just barely pulled out a win.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I'm dreading the "expansion" for this very reason. Supposedly they're all written by one of the guest designers?

Those of us who enjoyed the wide scenarios are looking forward to it.

Scenario 76 is a particular stand-out in terms of interesting design.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A bunch of the guest scenarios are fine, or good. I certainly wouldn't write them all off.

It's interesting but has one huge problem: since there's no enemy in the chest room if you open it late you may not be able to loot the chest before finishing the scenario. The chest is basically the reward for doing the scenario and it's a cheap gotcha.

Scenario 76 spoilers: We thought of that, too, but the victory condition is also to "reveal all rooms," so the only possible gotcha is if you've killed off all the enemies and then the last person to go in a round breaks down the wall after already moving. Otherwise, you have the remainder of the round for somebody to move onto the chest and loot it. As with most scenarios, it works better with 3-4 players than with 2.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My favorite example of poorly designed quest mechanics are the ones that make them potentially unwinnable without certain cards/classes/items.

Scenario 88 So the goal is to kill an elite guy who drops a goal chest and then bring it to the other side of the room. Sounds fine, except there's a current because it's an underwater level, so you get pushed back one hex each round (and take damage if you can't go backwards). Except you also get -1 to all your movements as a scenario effect. And then if you're carrying the item you also get -2 to all your moves. That's -3 to all moves and you go backwards one hex per turn. Oh that move 4 that's generally considered a good move? It's a move zero. Hope you brought boots or a scoundrel or maybe a spellweaver because otherwise you're not beating it! (Granted you can negate the current by being behind an obstacle and the -1 move IS a scenario effect but not every class gets to ignore those). We absolutely cheated and ignored the -2 move from carrying the quest item because that's dumb as hell.

Scenario 88 spoilers: The scenario doesn't end until you deliver the claw, so the only timer is exhaustion. There's some ambiguity about whether the current continues after all the Lurkers die, as you would no longer draw a Lurker initiative card after that point. But let's suppose the worst-case scenario: no characters ignore negative scenario effects, and nobody with a Move 6 loss card.

First off, and this should be obvious after reading the special rules, you need to kill the Lurker King as close to his starting hex as possible to minimize the travel time. That's actually very important to the scenario design, as otherwise you can just wait in the small room (which is not subject to the current) and kill the enemies one at a time in the doorway. Once that's done, let's suppose that characters have brought loot cards (which, granted, you might not on the first play), and don't have movement past Move 4. Let's also assume that the current continues post-Lurker deaths. You have several ways to proceed: move 1 hex toward the crystal and position yourself so that an obstacle blocks the tide; position another PC to block your movement from the tide (you can choose who moves due to the current, so the claw carrier bounces off the other character before they move; move 1 hex toward the crystal and have another character closer to the crystal play a loot and bounce off of you. In theory, it takes no more than 10 turns to cross the room in this way, although in practice that could be too long as you'll need to keep short resting to cycle back Move 4/Loot cards. Having a bigger move, a move-booster, a character immune to negative scenario effects (of which there are plenty), or a character who can cycle your big move card back without resting will help.

But the key, as I suggested, is that you have to rush the Lurker King. If you kill him 5-6 hexes away from the crystal, you're in good shape. Note too that you can initially pick up the claw with a loot card, meaning you could be 1-2 hexes closer to the crystal when first taking it.

I agree it can turn into a boring puzzle, but it is a puzzle and it does have solutions.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I have never understood the scenario 52 hate.

Spoilers for 52: I know, it breaks the standard expectations, but it's not a long scenario and it forces you to completely rethink your normal play and to try cards you might not normally play with. I've played it twice (as a PQ and as a casual) with two different groups, and it ranged from fairly easy to extremely easy. If a scenario sticks the Gadgeteer out alone with no jump and he can manage his part, no class is going to have much trouble. Between the short length and the objective, you don't really need to play very many cards unless you get blocked off and can't jump or fly; only the Spellweaver is a threat of exhaustion from discarding cards to prevent damage, and she's got an excellent jump card.

You can fairly easily math out the first room. At most you need to kill two enemies to advance. Stun, disarm, and immobilize are all obviously useful. At low levels the enemies aren't too dangerous; at higher levels, odds are half the party or more has a means to jump, fly, or otherwise get around blocking enemies. Movement is obviously a must.

My guess is that many groups get locked into a particular style and mindset of play and these side scenarios often mess with them. I know I'm only now coming to understand the high effectiveness of playing to exhaust in the last room, and the ways in which a character with a large hand can just ignore massive damage for a round or two in order to get the scenario won.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

We had a full week -- one of our playgroup had unlocked Music Note and *hated it* -- it was way too passive for her and she felt like she wasn't accomplishing anything or doing anything cool -- so we slammed through scenarios 19, 68, 61, and 62 so that she could unlock her next class in sequence.

#62 was probably the roughest scenario we've faced yet. Those goddam skeletons just did not stop coming.

62 and Saw spoilers: When we saw how small the map was, my Saw brought two loss cards and our Brute had a permanent +2 shield. He ended up tanking six skeletons, who were doing damage equal to their modifier draw to him after all the shield was subtracted. Stack enough shield and it can be very good.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

So Triforce plays about as awful as rumors claimed it was. It's kind of absurd needing to burn multiple elements just to keep up with what other classes can just do without precondition.

Later on is better when you can do things like move 7 and then attack 5 two targets.

I think the available class guides (the Reddit ones, at least) are not very good, especially for low to mid level, so that doesn't help either. Concentrate on conditions/control early on and try to generate as much xp as possible. Levels 5-7 are where things get really good. Also, it will help a lot if you have element-generating items available and if you can get groupmates to carry some too.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Great guide and mirrors my experiences and card choices pretty well, though I went from spellweaver to triforce.

I don't get the hate.

It's a good class. I wonder if the fact that it is highly variable explains the hate. Not only is it very different to play 2P (Triforce spoiler) with no other element generation vs 4P with other characters who put out elements, but I found that the class itself changes radically as you acquire perks, far more than any of the others. I am extremely interested to see what people think of the Diviner/Triforce combination, preferably in a 4P group with some melee types. There's some subtle and very effective synergies operating there.

SuperKlaus, I don't agree with all the guide advice, though it is far better than the other Triforce guides I've seen; I may drop a longer analysis in spoiler tags at some point. For now, I'll just say (Triforce spoilers) the way you build and play the class depends heavily on your priority for damage over stun, and drives the balance between fire and ice usage and generation. The class is designed for those two elements to be primary and somewhat exclusive, in the sense that you're encouraged to use opposing pairs of elements. So picking fire over ice leads to a very different guide. I found it possible to build toward a more flexible approach. The extent to which you can do that depends upon how much damage the rest of the party delivers. This build plus the Diviner plus a class like Sun or Lightning could be devastatingly effective.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

My friend who played Triforce owned so hard. Massive AOE or multi Target damage, great single Target, executes.

Question, I've played Mindthief to lvl 8, Lightning Bolt to 6, now Two Mini to 9 with 4 scenarios left. Should I play Circles or Angry Face next? Could potentially also do Music Note if the other guy unlocks him at the same time as me and he chooses someone else.

Who moves the monsters when you play? If it's you, and you enjoy a character that requires some finesse, I suggest trying Circles. There's at least one good guide on Boardgamegeek to get you started. Angry Face is just plain great, but you won't need much subtlety.

As for the long Triforce discussion, saying "class is bad" is different from saying "I didn't enjoy playing the class." It is not bad, it is just very difficult to get a sense of what you're supposed to do. I was frustrated playing Triforce (after the Spellweaver) until I sat down and analyzed the cards to try to work out how the class was designed to be played; I ended up loving it after that. I offer a few general tips that apply to most classes, and then spoiler-specifics.

1. If you're not in one of those groups that finds the game too easy and plays all the scenarios at maximum difficulty, try prioritizing XP gain when playing a new character. While for some characters, this approach isn't optimal, it will teach you a great deal about how the character functions. (Be sure to pay more attention to the non-loss abilities that grant XP, but don't ignore your loss cards; the "one loss card per room" rule of thumb isn't perfect, but it isn't completely off-base.)
2. Let go of the assumption that almost all the character guides make that your deck should consist of the most optimal cards. Instead, look at the cards available to your new class and think about which ones you'd want to use to deal with specific problems or objectives. What's your best way to move very fast? How good are you at looting should you hit a scenario that requires it? What do you have to deal with high HP monsters? Monsters with shield? Retaliate? What's your mix of element generation and usage? Are your generation cards always the top or bottom of the cards that use the elements (in which case you need to either pair them or rest or stamina potion), or do they come separately? What do your loss cards do, and under what circumstances would it be worth losing a card to do that? Do you have any emergency cards that can save you if you get in a bad spot/really hurt?
3. To what extent does your character have mechanics that involve playing a game within the character itself? The best examples are all spoilers, but you can compare the Cragheart, whose more complex cards interact with allies, enemies, and the environment, with the Spellweaver's need to generate and consume elements, or the Mindthief's possible augment-switching game. You'll have something extra to master if your character has an "internal" game of this sort, and some players will prefer more straightforward characters or ones whose "game" is very simple (like the Scoundrel's "invisible," then X 2 damage trick).

For Triforce specifically: You are extremely versatile, possibly the most flexible character in the game, because much of what you do can be adjusted in-scenario via your element usage. But you start out very limited if you are low-level, because you have limited ability to generate all the elements you need. Take a look at your element generation: you can make single elements, or use loss cards to generate double elements. The double elements you want (at least initially) are Earth & Ice, and Air & Fire; the single elements you want are Ice and Fire (though Air is OK; go Earth first if you're trying the melee build but I don't recommend that for a first-time player). Fire is more damage-focused, which Ice is more control/conditions (Stun and Immobilize), so pick one initially to focus on more and build your modifier deck accordingly. Some other characters generate extra elements (Mindthief and Ice, Cragheart and Earth), so take that into account and coordinate so that you have one of your desired pairs. Also, pay close attention to which demons will appear (if any) and be ready to borrow their elements for your own--you'll need faster cards to do this, and the really fast demons may still be able to beat you, but this is great for Earth and Frost demons especially.

Element generating enhancements can be vital to make your experience with the class seem less random, and they will make the next player to try the class very happy, too. I suggest the <any element> for the bottom of your favorite L1 element generator; adding Ice to your Earth generator or Fire to your Air generator is potent, too. You can probably get at least the specific element added before L5 if you start at low level. Shaping the Ether is a crutch to avoid in the meantime; while using it to boost damage on your cards means you either break even or get +1 damage, you lose the top Earth & Ice to stun 2 targets. (There is a cute combination with Ether and Formless Power, where you can add the element you'll need and consume an element you won't to bring your damage back to normal, but playing with 2 cards down is risky in most scenarios.) In any case, you're planning what you need to do next turn and putting out the element you need to do it, while hoping to get a useful paired element or requesting one from an ally.

Once you have enough element generation in your modifier deck (by L5), you can shift emphasis. Previously, you were focused on pulling off one or two element pairs per rest, plus one or two singletons: if Fire is your focus, you were wounding 2-3 monsters per rest and pumping out damage that about at the normal curve; if Ice, then you stunned 2-3 monsters and immobilized another per rest, while doing a bit less damage than the curve. Now, you should be generating two elements per turn routinely between your own cards and your modifier deck, and might have three or more available. This means greater flexibility in using elements and element pairs is desirable. Your excellent L5 cards both introduce a new element pair. You could use Formless Power to consume any extra elements. Personally, my preference was to bring the cards with all four elements on them and decide each turn how I could optimally use the elements available to me. If you've cycled a card out of your hand that would be optimal, you may have to settle, but you'll settle fairly rarely. Several cards (including your L5s) work just fine without any elements at all, so you can stall for a turn if you must, but the odds favor you being able to Move 7 or Attack 5, and sometimes you can drop an Attack 3 Stun on 2 targets or make a two target Attack 3 Poison Wound. If you have to do the heavy lifting or you're fighting a condition-immune boss, you can stack Attack 6s via Formless Power and pump out more than respectable damage turn after turn. Unlike most characters, you will have a tool in your deck for any problem.

By the time you take Vengeance at L7, if you've mastered the fundamentals, you'll find that while Vengeance is powerful, you have plenty of effective things to do when you aren't playing it. In some scenarios, I would take Vengeance as a loss after a rest because I wasn't expecting to face enough normal enemies to make it as effective as my other cards! (Against spawning enemies and the like, hang onto it forever).

Also (spoilers for Triforce and a broad category of items found through random item draws) your experience is going to vary depending upon how many element generating items you have access to. Being able to generate a specific element on command, especially on an item which is only spent, gives you a lot more ability to plan ahead and also allows you a way to deal with "off-turns" where you don't have usable elements out. Having allies with such items is even better.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

It's a bad class. Just because you can do these things to make it workable doesn't make it less bad. You can do math on an abacus, that doesn't mean it isn't a lovely way to do so.

On the bright side, if you are working with an abacus, the math for Triforce will be easy. Literally half that drat modifier deck is +0.

If you think learning how to play a class by looking carefully at how it is designed to play is a "workaround," that explains a great deal about how you assess the classes. Triforce's strengths are almost entirely in areas you clearly don't value, but other people do and have fun playing the game with Triforce so that they can have a character strong in those ways.

Gloomhaven is built around giving different groups of players very different experiences. Discouraging players from playing a particular class that they might find effective just because you think it is "objectively" bad seems meanspirited, even if you can be proven "objectively" correct, which in this case would require you to do things like precisely value hp damage versus conditional effects to accurately model ability effectiveness. I don't see how you can address conditionals given that their effectiveness rests so heavily upon the board state, while damage is damage.

I am not trying to convince you, I'm trying to make sure that anyone reading the thread who thinks Triforce sounds like fun gives it a shot. They can decide for themselves whether they think it is a "fun but bad" or "boring and bad" or "effective but fiddly" or "awesome" class without needing anyone here to tell them they are objectively wrong or right.

On the Sun talk (Sun spoilers): in my group it's the most-played class, and yes, the first player did the vital enhancement. He played Sun twice, I played it once, and we have a fourth now. I'm of the opinion that going "shields up" is sometimes unneeded and often better delayed; our repeat player went for the traditional tank/damage build the first time and played an almost all support build the second time, in a group which had Lightning, Eclipse, and a rotating spot with either Three-Spears or Angry Face. We weren't short on damage, and he demonstrated the power of some of Sun's recovery cards (especially for Lightning when in a boss fight). While there aren't a lot of bad choices, the class really benefits from both enhancements and items, and relies very heavily on understanding how the card-flow works through your hand, as you're relying on a few cards for movement or attacking instead of having plenty of options like the Brute.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 7, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vidmaster posted:

I’ll probably do something like that, though with the brokentoken organizer I may need to rubber band the to be done ones or something. I think my cardamajigs Kickstarter order is arriving this week too, so those might be a good option for the done ones as well. Keep a separate pack of those, unsleeve the not added events, and just have the active deck sleeved.

Also, how about that lightning bolts class? I finally unlocked it and this poo poo is crazy. Any recommended equipment or build strategies for the class? Is glass hammer plus invisibility cloak any good? It also seems like there are just a lot of good cards, and it’s hard to evaluate them.

Second-hand advice: There's a viable retaliate build, but you need lots of distinct sources for retaliate and at your prosperity you likely don't have access to enough. You probably don't want to pick up Spiked Armor now anyway. The path you're headed is quite viable, with something like glass cannon/invisibility as a good option when up against a boss, especially if you follow with resolute stand. Your big decision is whether to rush to half health or simply spend your hp as you proceed through a scenario; the latter is probably better when you don't have another character who can easily draw fire from you when you get unhealthy. Don't be afraid to take damage/use loss cards/get exhausted so long as it doesn't mess with your battle goals or scenario objectives; there's no prize for ending a scenario with most of your cards and all your hp (again, aside from battle goals).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

PQ 529 The problem is the scenarios are double locked, you don't even put the stickers on the map until you've already played one scenario after making the choice, and you can only play a scenario in casual mode if it's on the map. However, in the Let's Play we have the option of starting with the personal quest, so we will definitely hit the two story scenarios, which is why I voted for it.

More 529 spoilers: 19 should be one everybody unlocks and costs no reputation at all. 32 requires you to pursue a questline that doesn't cost reputation either. If you miss 32, you do have to rely on the random unlocks, but honestly, part of the point of the PQ should be to want to do something like 32. The main problem is that none of the PQs that are associated with completing scenarios in specific regions are clearly linked with the decisions needed to unlock scenarios in those regions, because unlocks tend to be scattered all over the place instead of doing a whole chain in one location. The only issue with it at the start is that you're definitely doing more than 10-15 scenarios before retiring. It is possible to get to 19 quickly and if your first random unlock is the right one you could retire pretty fast: potentially in 7-8 scenarios.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Now that I think about the stamina potion problem, it occurs to me that they'd still be amazing if instead of working as they do now, you could use one when taking a short or long rest to avoid needing to lose a card. That might be too powerful without something to mitigate the effectiveness, though, like limiting it to when you've already got half of your starting hand of cards lost.

Make card recovery a little harder and the abilities that allow you to recover cards from your discard pile will become more desirable, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hilariously so. I'm intentionally avoiding retiring mine because I'm having such a good time with it.

Angry Face spoilers: I'm playing him in the Capital Intrigue campaign and he can dish out 7 damage per round easily at range with the right combination of cards. He doesn't exactly have a movement problem beyond the issue that you really don't want to be moving very often if you're fighting. Even his summons have some utility to them; the boar can actually take a few hits at lower level.