Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Quit trying to find the needle in the haystack and just buy the haystack!
*Jack Bogle continues frowning down on us from the afterlife*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Smythe posted:

confucius said the smartest thing a smart person can do is pay people smarter than them to advise them and take care of their poo poo

https://www.napfa.org
Any other financial advisor is just chasing a sale and probably trying to rob you.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

drunken officeparty posted:

What if I just don’t want to pay taxes

Do it with money in a roth

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Remember that "yeet yeet, skrrt SKRRRRT" SNL bit about soundcloud rappers?
Sampling the insanity of TikTokInvestors for a similar bit would be the research equivalent of dunking oneself in the river of slime from Ghostbusters 2.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pmchem posted:

It's a weekend and it's been a while for a twitter list update. These were exported via tweetdeck.twitter.com and you can import them at that site. I just split my main #fintwit list into two lists:

The first list is my pared down primary/daily list. It covers major market news, ETFs, some big #fintwit personalities, investing and macroeconomics. It's the list I really care about the most.

The second list is simply for popular accounts talking about stocks. Basically: I got tired of single-stock tweets filling up my primary list, so I moved a bunch of things from the other list into this new list. Then I added a few other things to it and moved over some accounts I like to have handy to reference (e.g. Sven) but don't want to read their daily spam. The purpose of the second list is to be able to search it for symbols before entering into a trade on that symbol. A few select accounts (e.g. Wall St Jesus, and Will Meade) accounts are in both lists.

List #1:
@chamath
@sentimentrader
@TheStalwart
@marketfolly
@jimcramer
@DaveNadig
@tracyalloway
@Fullcarry
@chigrl
@CNBCnow
@hedgopia
@bespokeinvest
@Rick_Ferri
@SalehaMohsin
@Schuldensuehner
@JeffreyKleintop
@LiveSquawk
@StockCats
@Vanguard_Group
@markets
@stlouisfed
@tpsarofagis
@VincentDeluard
@eWhispers
@EricBalchunas
@ScottMinerd
@iShares
@Vanguard_FA
@VisualCap
@modestproposal1
@NYFedResearch
@syouth1
@WallStJesus
@StrategasRP
@NateGeraci
@GrantsPub
@FerroTV
@Trinhnomics
@lisaabramowicz1
@ToddCFRA
@charliebilello
@boijefd
@JavierBlas
@wealth
@jturek18
@WallStCynic
@HedgeMind
@ARKInvest
@PantheonMacro
@BlackRock_News
@DeItaone
@RandyAFrederick
@HedgeyeDDale
@TimmerFidelity
@LizAnnSonders
@BLKPublicPolicy
@ING_Economics
@FirstSquawk
@StephenSpratt
@RenMacLLC
@10kdiver
@EddBolingbroke
@jbensondurham
@R_Perli
@CapitalTalk2
@spotgamma
@borrowed_ideas
@MacroCharts
@JayJacobsCFA
@RickRieder
@JohnStCapital
@TruthGundlach
@MarketInterest
@RamBhupatiraju
@dlacalle_IA
@realwillmeade
@SmithEconomics
@BittelJulien
@SqueezeMetrics
@Perth_Tolle

List #2:
@traderstewie
@OptionAlert
@ChartMill
@muddywatersre
@CitronResearch
@FinancialJuice
@WallStJesus
@NorthmanTrader
@Wolfmetric
@WallStCynic
@AnthonyOhayon
@TradeWithAlerts
@ParikPatelCFA
@unusual_whales
@wallstmemes
@soonervaluecap
@Dividend_Dollar
@HatchingGains
@saxena_puru
@FromValue
@CheddarFlow
@Scuttlebutt_Inv
@MelStone31
@HindenburgRes
@realwillmeade
@Post_Market
@IntrinsicInv

If anyone sees a glaring omission from list #1, let me know. I try to be picky about it. For example, very few accounts in list #1 have a high rate of re-tweets (only Joe Weisenthal, really).

Does anyone have suggestions for a list of humorous financial/investing accounts? I'm thinking along the lines of... (I'm new to this corner of twitter so please warn me if any of these are toxic)

@BagHolderQuotes
@leveredlloyd
@FinanceFrat
@thestinkmarket
@tumtonks
@wallstmemes
@ParikPatelCFA
@FinTwiDipshits
@thestonkmarket1
@CaptainNasdaq
@VCBrags
@StockMarketHats
@Cokedupoptions
@hardmoneymag
@StockCats
@TikTokInvestors

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SADDLE UP

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Got out of GME right at 101 as the post-spike waves were settling. Between this and getting out of BTC right at 40k*, I feel like Daniel Craig's character in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo when a bullet lands next to his head.

*I gambled on both trends way too late to get rich, but at least I got out ahead

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

How long does a stoploss generally take to trigger & fill?

Basically, I am wondering how fast a stock's value would need to decline in order to get badly burned. Say I purchase some stock with a 10% trailing stoploss -- how fast does the price need to decline to cause me to fail to sell at roughly -10% on a dip and instead sell at -20%? -30%? Etc.

It kind of depends on volume and what people are bidding, but generally it will trigger the moment it can, at least that's been my experience.

If you are thinking of using trailing stop loss to give yourself peace of mind in the event of a hard dip, BE CAREFUL.
It can backfire, so learn from my mistake when a stock I'd assigned a trailing stop loss took a hard dip and almost completely rebounded within a couple hours. It was simple enough to buy back in close to where I'd left off, but this was also in a taxable account, so the IRS got some free capital gains money out of my dumbass play.
Also keep in mind that the stop loss order will have to be canceled first if for some reason you decide you want to sell on the spot.
EDIT: Also, pay attention to what your stop loss order is using for reference. We've seen some wild Friday-Monday price swings today, so trying to bail out of a loss at noon on Monday when the order is looking at the price from Friday afternoon is asking for trouble if you're not careful.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 25, 2021

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Is that the account with loving in the name? Dude just bought like 4mm more @ 78. He's going all gently caress in which is absolutely nuts to me.

Where did you see/hear that? Based on his reddit posts his last activity was just sharing that he's still holding shares from before this brouhaha.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

GrandmaParty posted:

You hunker down and wait for daylight.

Do not pull money out. When the stock market recovers, it recovers in big jumps on single days for the most part.

Going to elaborate on this position with respect to the question of "what to do during a massive dip."

I have been deep-diving into Bogleheads literature, aka the "forget the needle and buy the haystack" philosophy of index fund guru John (Jack) Bogle. He created the first S&P 500 index fund with Vanguard back in the 70s, was mocked by fancy-pants wall street cats, and Vanguard wound up amassing trillions of dollars' worth of clientele as a result of offering close to market average returns for rock-bottom fees. Without him, mutual/index fund fees would be a lot higher today and everyone would shrug that that's just the way it is. Turns out, people like value!

In Bogle's books, as well as Taylor Larimore's "Bogleheads Guide To..." series and several dozen derivative flavors* of financial advice book, the research shows over and over again that buying and holding (aka Stay The Course) will beat a market downturn better than trying to time yourself out and back in. "What if I don't try to exit the most efficient way, but just jump the dip at all?" Research shows you won't, and you'll probably lose money trying to spot "the big one." The good news about staying the course through a long downturn is that you will be guaranteed the earliest, most effective position for a comeback the second the market rebounds. Usually, the market still ends up ahead on a yearly scale after a dip that otherwise scares investors away for good.

On an individual stock level, if you can forecast long-term advantages and disadvantages in its respective industry, okay make an educated guess, but know that every share you purchase is someone else's sale, and vice versa. Everyone you think you're beating is thinking the same thing about you (unless everyone's just trying to cut their losses and tell themselves they'll be more patient/principled next time).

*This includes advice books that agree with all of Bogle's principles but try to "slice and dice" the Three Fund Portfolio into 4-9 different sectors to hedge their bets - small-cap, value, real estate, precious metals, what have you. These strategies sometimes weather a downturn better than just holding the total markets and bonds forever, but in the long run slice-and-dice is another version of betting on certain sectors to win and will not beat the market average.

So, yeah. If you're too scared of dips to hold strong, remember recoveries. If you take recoveries for granted, then you're not scared enough of dips. Numbers can go down and that's okay!

EDIT - From Peter Mallouk: "”The average correction is a drop of 13.5%. Most corrections last less than two months, with the average length of a correction sitting at 54 days. Less than one in five corrections turns into a bear market.”

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 26, 2021

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But that's admittedly boring so be cool like me and budget 5% for goofball poo poo that occasionally pays off or also maybe doesn't

Unironically this. Several Bogle interviews include "but what about [sector/trend/alternative ETF]?" And he usually relents that chiseling off 5% to gently caress around and find out, so long as it keeps the investor from YOLOing their life savings, is better than bottling up that impulse and doing something dumber down the line.

RIP to an absolute legend, he's waiting for us on that fabled moon.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Phobophilia posted:

Anyway those hedge funds aren't actually wrong that Gamestop and AMC are doomed businesses, and all they're really doing is nudging those businesses into the pit slightly faster and gambling that they will fall at a certain velocity.

On the one hand, yes, and shorting has a way of stress-testing companies to make sure they have actual value. Some real skunks have been sniffed out before.

At the same time, accelerating a company's decline and profiting from it, to the point of over-committing to the short so that there's no feasible way out, is ghoulish and deserves a correction as a warning to other hedge funds.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A friend is trying their best to hodl like hell and I check in on them every day to make sure they're hydrating (yes) and sleeping (barely). Isn't there a saying in investing about how you can either eat well or sleep well?

I wish that friend and all of you the best of luck.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bedlam posted:

BB dropping. Boo

Sorry about that, I bought in soon before this post.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Any love for M1 in this thread? They've got an app that looks at least reasonably modern, and their checking/card/brokerage terms are plenty fair (no options contracts, though).

Withdrew my money from Robinhood today, got to wait a few business days for the transaction to settle then I'm done with them for good. Apparently, this was a good day to take my dogecoin gains with me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SNDL, you magnificent potheads

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They cleared their debt and their stock was upgraded to $20/share.

AMC went into the pandemic some $5 billion in debt, they're liquid enough to stick around for now but still have a long climb back to stability.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

KirbyKhan posted:

You ~can~ pull money out but you gotta write letters and use it for a house or some impossible poo poo that are only edge cases for rich people.

https://www.schwab.com/ira/roth-ira/withdrawal-rules

"There are exceptions to the early withdrawal penalty, such as a first-time home purchase, college expenses, and birth or adoption expenses."

Age and holding the Roth for at least five years are major factors.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yomofo717 posted:

I'm hopping on the CCIV train once my bank transfer clears. My friend just told me about it today.

Every time I see a news headline about CCIV its price has already done the opposite of whatever the article claims.

"Why CCIV just can't stop climbing!"
*checks ticker, it's down 7%

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Leal posted:

That thread seems to be exclusively about IRA or 401k, so where do I go to learn about mutual funds? I figured those would be a long term thing but...

Mutual funds are something you would invest in inside a brokerage account, including but not limited to an IRA or 401k. Most company-sponsored IRAs and 401ks offer employees a limited menu of mutual funds from which to choose, so the topics overlap a lot.

Mutual funds by and large drag behind index funds in terms of performance, especially when you factor in fees, taxes, and fund managers (this claim has been thoroughly backtested). There are a few that outperform the S&P 500, but they tend to be temporary highs followed by microscopic or negative returns. Again, indexes reign supreme.

The Bogleheads website breaks down some good three-fund portfolios based on which brokerage you use. Do not (DO NOT) pay fees to, say, buy Vanguard mutual funds from Fidelity.

Generally speaking, ETFs can act as a tax-efficient substitute for a mutual fund if you are using a taxable account (many are fee-free between companies, too). For example, if you use Fidelity you might hold Fidelity index funds FSKAX / FTIHX / FUAMX in your Roth IRA and Vanguard's ETFs VTI / VXUS in your taxable account. There are justifications and edge cases for this or that specific goal/strategy/circumstance, but these examples work for basic indexing.

Uh oh, that sounded like long-term advice. Hmmm... I swapped out Sundial for Trulieve. What better way to refresh the economy than to legalize pot just in time for the latest stimmy?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Why do their recommended three-fund portfolios have so much bond exposure? Why would anybody below 55 have more than 5% bond exposure?

This is a matter of risk tolerance and mindset.

If you're young and you've seen all the spreadsheets that say "plunk down money in stocks and you can retire rich," bonds may not seem to make much sense, at least for the next couple decades. You can leverage your youth against any imminent crashes and ultimately come out ahead, right? Not quite. A significant bond percentage tends to not only hedge against market downturns, but actually increase long-term gains.

"Okay, fine, I'll go 10-20% bonds as an anchor and otherwise make riskier moves with the rest of my money," you might conclude. Good. Do you trust yourself? Every investor recites the advice to only risk what you're willing to lose. Can you truly stomach seeing all your green gains turn bleeding red? The latest GME fiasco taught a lot of people their true feelings about watching numbers soar then slide off a cliff. If you could feel a sure bet in your bones, would you leave that bonds brick alone in its corner, or would you cash it in for risk? Ditto for your Roth.

Some unsolicited observations from a number of indexing books that are also relevant to active investing:
-There are many predictors of market downturns, and they can all take a hike. Every day there's a talking head saying this is the last good day in the market and to sell everything, and an opposing talking head saying the good times will keep rolling. If you're secure in your stocks/bonds ratio, neither head will be able to sway you.
-The average market downturn lasts a couple months, and only one in 4-5 downturns ever results in a bear market. It pays to hold strong!
-Most major market crashes ultimately turn around and lead to gains within the year. Again, stick to your plan (unless it's to keep jumping in and out of the pool)! It hurts to take a market beating for months or even years, but it's the only way to guarantee you'll be in the best position for the upswing. You'll be fine with market conditions because you planted a bonds anchor... right?
-"Whatever, nerds, I don't need to have perfect timing to beat the market, I just have to get in near the bottom, ride it up, then get out near the top." Go ahead, be our guest. I maybe beat the market if I sit and wait for a serious downturn, but those aren't guaranteed and I often leave serious gains on the table while waiting. I posted earlier in the thread about learning a lesson in stop-losses when it was immediately triggered by a swift drop-and-bounce.
-I bring up these lectures of market timing because bonds make all of these scenarios easier. I use FUAMX (intermediate treasuries) because they go up when the market falls. Same deal with FTIHX/VXUS, good counterweights to the US market (among others). Counterweights make it easier to ignore internet advisors and hot-tip brokers shouting about how "everyone else is getting rich but you, MORON!"

Thank you for scrolling through my TED talk.

tl;dr Carbon bonds produce diamond hands

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As of this posting, VOO trades for $359.09 and VTI trades for $205.94 per share. They perform very similarly and have the same expense ratio (0.03%, or $3 per year per $10,000 invested). VOO tracks the S&P 500, or top 500ish largest companies in the US, while VTI tracks some 3,634 companies all together, each weighted by most to least valuable company, hence the similar performance. May as well get more shares for your buck, in my opinion.

Robinhood and Coinbase are both convenient for throwing fun money at internet coins, but consider [url="[url]https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/trading-and-funding/pricing-and-fees/fees"]Coinbase's fees[/url], which range from either $1-3 or 1.5% per transaction (that's buying and selling). With Robinhood you can set a purchase limit for an exact price and not incur any fees. On the other hand, Robinhood hosed a lot of people over last week, so no judgment here if you skip 'em.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Stocks will have a down day once every company and bank buys into that cockamamie "invest 10% into bitcoin" plan to pump its price into the stratosphere... followed by any kind of fall.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just did this for all my stocks. Thanks.

Depending on the tax status of any imminent realized gains, you may want to set the trailing stop loss at more than 10% in case a given stock dips and rebounds in quick succession.

*side-eyes PLTR*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

gay picnic defence posted:

Which of the current weedstocks is best placed to become a mass producer with the economies of scale needed to make money in a future, more competitive weed market?

TheStreet told me Trulieve > Sundial, seems like the better long play for now even if pot numbers are all going up lately

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/buy-trulieve-cannabis-not-sundial-growers

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

NDRA has a liver scanning device in phase 2 or 3 trials I believe. That's why we're in it.

Better yet, it's already approved in China and Europe. Just a matter of time in Los Estados Unidos.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Poco posted:

Taking a beating on PLTR this morning. Markets are closed Monday, probably people selling before earnings call on Tuesday?

The market is giving PLTR the classic three-act story structure treatment. People analyze PLTR and find good news, only to deny it. Then, when it looks like PLTR has climbed up a tree to safety, the market throws rocks at it. PLTR hasn't entered the third act yet where its stock balloons and everyone labels it The Chosen One.

...but seriously, what kind of financial negging is going on that PLTR keeps securing contracts and showing off a perfectly fine product/service and the market's reaction of late is, "who tf would want THAT?"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So say if I purchased a stock at $100 per share and it rose to $120.

If I put in a 10% stop limit then it is impossible for me not to make money correct? Like even if there was an economic collapse, ala 2008, the share price wouldn't drop $20 in one second. Or am I missing something here?

What others have said, plus limit is specific only to the price you set. Even a reasonable stop limit might not execute at all. Stop order is the more pragmatic "just sell after a certain point for whatever's available" ability.

(I hesitate to use the word "option" in a stock trading thread)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

a Loving Dog posted:

i sold half of mine near that 53 peak to make back my initial investment, pure profit from here on out

Hello, can't-lose cousin!

Made the same move, sold half my shares with a sell limit $1 above where it was wobbling, that it worked told me I could've made more but there's nothing wrong with getting my principal back and still having room to grow.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

In at CASH, out at GOLD

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kraftwerk posted:

Guys slow the gently caress down. If I gave that impression, I sincerely apologize. I don’t have that sum of money. I just wanted to know what people could do to convert it into safe assets without getting murdered.

https://www.napfa.org/

Get yourself an advisor whose job is aligned to the needs of the client and not their own bottom line.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between the big box retailers, I get that Target is some people's happy place while Wal-Mart is desperately grasping for lateral services... but what is CostCo's deal? They seemed to recover well from the covid crash but have slipped almost 10% since late November. Based on their past curves, they seem ready to either bounce or hover in limbo for a bit.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Individual stocks going red across the board, but that's okay cuz my index funds are still in the green (and don't update until end of after-hours).

Aw yeah, living that denial.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Executed my first early-hours trade ever, whew glad to get off the CCIV train before it dips below my entry point. Selling half early to lock in profits was the right move, in this case. My face last night when I saw the merger was official, followed by learning the price had tanked after-hours because value of the public shares wasn't the moonlaunch people were wanting...

We'll see if Lucid can get that Arizona plant hopping and sell off enough EVs and carbon credits to rival Tesla, yeah?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

PLTR - they're good at catching government contracts, both here and abroad, they're still developing new platforms, and based on tech demo reactions their software is relatively easy to use. In the realm of government work, it sounds like they're set. Palantir's not quadrupling earnings every second so they'll get ground into dirt for now, but they're getting better at their business and at getting paid every year, so I expect their stock performance to ultimately increase.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Baddog posted:

I think people ... are overeager to "lock in their gains" (you can see it all over this thread).

As opposed to locking in losses?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Baddog posted:

Its hard to find a company that is performing over expectations (great management, product better than analysts thought, etc etc). When you do, I don't think you should rush to "sell half so you can never be down", or whatever the absolute gamblers always say.

Conversely, its pretty loving easy to find a company that sucks and will continue to suck for the foreseeable future. Don't get stuck holding them as they spiral to zero.

This is all just sort of philosophy though (cap your losses or cap your winners). The real thing you should always be asking yourself is "would I still buy this stock at the current price given all the latest information (and tax consequences, etc etc)".

Hoop Dreams posted:

Being disciplined enough to do nothing is an actual skill. People tend to be way too emotional (panic sell/FOMO).

Completely agreed. I felt defensive after "locking in gains" saved me a chunk of change with regards to CCIV. That's a huge outlier compared to everything else in my portfolio, though. Long holding on companies/indexes I think will thrive over the year(s).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Burn Zone posted:

taking the words from my mouth

COVID is basically over at this point for the majority of Americans. They'll still be affected by deaths and sickness but it's over and they're getting back to normal. There are a lot of overdue vacations coming up though... haven't people ITT had some decent returns on cruises recently?

UAL (planes!) and GOGO (wifi on the planes!) have done alright so far.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

jokes posted:

It didn’t have to be religious. Vanguard isn’t, like, a military thing. Names are names, they’re usually stupid.

It could have been them talking about having the biggest boat and surviving where everyone else fails. The fact that it went to the ark of the covenant instead of Noah’s Ark is even weirder.

Vanguard's name is military history thing:

Stay The Course by John Bogle posted:

With only weeks to go before our new firm's incorporation, we still had no name for the new firm. Fate, as it had done so often during my career, smiled again. Completely by coincidence, I came across a reference to HMS Vanguard, Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of the Nile in 1798.

In the late summer of 1974, a dealer in antique prints came by my office with some small engravings of the British military battles during the Napoleonic War era, illustrating the triumphant forces under the Duke of Wellington, for whom Mr. Morgan had named his first mutual fund 46 years earlier.

When I bought his prints, he offered me some companion prints of the British naval battles of the same era. Ever enticed by the sea and its timeless mystery, I bought them, too. Delighted, the dealer gave me the book from which they had been removed.

Much as I had browsed through Fortune in Firestone Library 25 years earlier, I browsed through the pages of Naval Battles of Great Britain 1775-1815, the book that had been given to me. When I turned to the saga of the historic Battle of the Nile, I was impressed. There, Lord Nelson's fleet sank almost every French fighting ship, while losing but a single English frigate, still the most complete naval victory in history. Napoleon's dreams of world conquest were over. At the close of Nelson's triumphant dispatch to the British Admiralty, it was Lord Horatio Nelson's signature, right below the name of his flagship: "HMS Vanguard, off the mouth of the Nile." With neither a second's hesitation nor a single consultant, I decided that "Vanguard" would be the name of the firm I would soon create. The name of Nelson's flagship, the parallels to the Duke of Wellington's conquests, the proud naval traditions embodied in Lord Nelson's leadership, and the meaning of the word itself ("leader in a new trend") were more than I could resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Capital losses for capital BOSSES