Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I really want to play an RPG (preferably jRPG) with a setting outside of the standard fantasy fare. Can anyone recommend some? I've already played all the FF's, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Persona 2&3, Grandia, Front Mission 3, Snatcher (not really an RPG), KotOR 1&2, Fallout 2&3, Lost Odyssey, Deus Ex, Septerra Core, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, and Star Ocean 2%3.

Have you tried Anachronox? The gameplay is a bit clunky, but if you could tolerate Septerra Core...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

sixide posted:

Are there any old-school RPGs with random worlds/dungeons? Basically a roguelike with a Wizardry/MM- or even XCOM/Avernus AP-style combat system.

Download Daggerfall. May God have mercy on your soul.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:words:

I found the new King's Bounty games scratched my min-maxing itch pretty well. Nearly all the mechanics are made visible to you, and there's a lot of scope for breaking the game in various ways.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What I've seen reads like Heros of M & M. Is that on the right track?

Also, is it German? Because Two Worlds made me want to die.

Yes and no. The combat is like HOMM, but outside of combat you play as a single hero and go around doing quests and so on. It's actually a pretty faithful spiritual successor to the original King's Bounty, which was a spiritual predecessor to the HOMM series.

Also, it's Russian. The translation isn't perfect but it has its own charm.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Has anyone other than the OP played the goon-made games on Page 1? I'm in the mood for some rpgs, but I'd like some second opinions before I start anything.

Both of SCF's games are competently made and do what they're meant to do pretty well. Last Scenario starts out like a pretty standard 16-bit JRPG, but it's got challenging combat and does throw a few surprises at you plotwise. Exit Fate is basically a Suikoden game with the serial numbers filed off. If you like the Suikoden series you will like it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, Google ain't turning up any Exit Fate threads on SA, so I'm just gonna ask one short question here- how the heck do you increase Joe's chances of Stealing something? Is it a matter of Skill or something?

As far as I can tell it's mostly dumb luck, emphasis on "dumb".

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

That would have a very different connotation, so no. This is the idea that one can become stronger by climbing on top of the bodies of those who came before them.

So, "On the Shoulders of Corpses", then. :v:

fivegears4reverse posted:

I already own a copy. I just want a legitimate portable copy. I know, spending money for things I like, what a strange concept.

Sign up for a PSN account with a fake European address, buy cards online to put money in your account (you'll likely pay a small premium for them, but eh.) That's what I do to buy US-only PSN games and DLC in Australia.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

DancingKittycat posted:

Has anyone got a recommendation for a game with a good sense of character progression / loot progression? I've played most of the usual suspects including most MMOs. I have most consoles covered.

Have you tried King's Bounty: The Legend and its sequel Armored Princess? They're not exactly conventional RPGs, since the combat takes place with armies on a tactical map like a Heroes of Might & Magic game, but your character has a skill tree and equipment slots for gear that affects how your army fights, and can learn spells and powers to assist in combat. Most enemy and treasure placement is randomised to an extent, so there's a lot of replay value: the units and tactics you relied on in one playthrough may not be available to you in the next one. From what you've said, it seems like they might be your kind of thing. There's a thread here if you want more information.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

So I just rebought the complete Might&Magic franchise on gog.com

Now back then we did our mapping on graph paper, but I really don't want to go that route anymore. Is there a recommended software tool that helps with the mapping process?

Every game in the series except for the first one has an automap. In M&M2 you have to enable the automap by buying the Cartographer skill in the first town; from 3-5 it's automatically available if you start with a Sorcerer in your party and the skill can still be bought if you don't; from 6 onwards my memory is a little fuzzy but I think it's just automatically available.

For M&M1 I'd honestly recommend just downloading the hintbook off GOG and referring to the maps in that. But if you want to do it on your own, good luck.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Well, another post and another Chrono Trigger help request from me. I'm on what has to be the final battle of the game against Lavos after completing Black Omen and keep getting utterly and completely owned. Any enemy that can do over 1000 damage essentially murders one or more of my guys in one shot.

Which party line up do you recommend for this battle, and can you give me some tips as to how to beat this guy?

Sounds like you just need some more levels and better equipment under your belt. Have you done all the sidequests that have opened up? If you go to the End of Time, the dude there will point you in their general direction.

You can also go through the Black Omen more than once in different time periods and refight the bosses for even more experience.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Levantine posted:

I seem to recall that on the PS2, Sega released remakes of at least PSI & II, not sure if they did IV. I'd have liked to see that stateside.

Yeah, you're thinking of Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2 -- a PSIV remake was planned as well but ended up being cancelled. Oyster was going to translate and LP Generation 1 but then real life poo poo happened and he didn't; I was helping edit his script, and still have the translated dialogue from the first few towns sitting around on my computer. In addition to modernising the graphics, they completely overhauled the game mechanics (not always for the better) and added a lot of extra dialogue, including an option to talk to your party members PS4-style.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

It's the same thing with better graphics/music quality, voice acting (I liked it but if it really bothers you you can also turn it off), and more save slots.

The PSP version also has a little extra content in the form of a whole hidden bonus chapter in place of the hidden bonus boss fight in the original, although it's not connected to the main plot and isn't really up to the standard of the rest of the game.

Wendell posted:

What is the twist to Yggdra Union?

It's pretty hard to summarise all its quirks, but I'll do my best.

When you engage an enemy in battle on the main map, it's resolved by having your character's army fight the enemy's army on a battle screen, and you can take various actions during the engagement to improve your chances of success. Whichever army is defeated in the engagement loses morale (the game's version of hit points), while the victorious army is unharmed. Further complicating this is the Union mechanic: by placing your characters in the right positions on the map, you can engage an enemy with multiple units in succession, wearing the enemy down to make the battle easier. Forming large Unions can be very helpful in taking down tougher enemies, and smart positioning to keep enemies from forming big Unions against single characters of yours is important for survival.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I think there might be a couple problems blocking that, the least of which being the idiot designers. For one, I don't think Steam is running a Genesis emu but someone actually outright converted the Sega games into like C# or something.

I'd be really surprised if this were the case. Sega has a very positive relationship with the emulation community and has licenced code from emulator developers to use for past retro-game releases, so I don't see why they'd suddenly stop doing that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My biggest complaint about Covenant of the Plume is that it's a little on the short side if you only play through it once, and while the branching plot is designed around replay value, all the stuff that gets carried over in New Game+ means that the first half of the game will be a cakewalk on a second or third playthrough.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Daler Mehndi posted:

I assume they mean we'll get a function to save at static points rather than anywhere.

I snatched up the Geneforge pack from GOG.com a little while back. I remember having played the first Geneforge up to a certain point, and since I don't have my saved game anymore, I started over. My last attempt was with a Shaper, and this time I'm going with a Guardian. I haven't tried Agent.

Poison and acid seem to be extremely strong in this game, to the point where enemies that have a poison or acid attack are far more dangerous than anything else I've run across. Especially the blue scorpion things I've begun to come across, who can poison me with each attack, usually multiple ones per round. Is there a reasonable way to deal with them, other than kill one, run away and hope the poison doesn't kill me, then come back later and kill another, etc...?

Poison damage is terrifying early on but doesn't really scale with level, so it mostly has nuisance value by the endgame. For now, just try not to get poisoned by not letting poisonous things survive long enough to attack you. Your Guardian should be able to afford at least a creation or two to take hits for you: in Geneforge 1 there's not much benefit to keeping your creations alive to level up, so don't feel bad about sacrificing them if necessary.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Mechanically speaking, the combination of ATB-style real-time/turn based hybrid along with a weird technical style of play that emphasizes canceling or countering enemy moves, and in G3 the addition of air juggling, is really unique among RPGs. The end result of making you carefully plan out your moves and dynamically react to the enemies' action is really satisfying. There are some other RPGs like that. The Shadow Hearts games come to mind. It's pure turn based and there's no move canceling, but there is a pretty cool combo and air juggle system. Rearranging your party's turns in-battle in a way that allows you to get good combos and juggles is pretty cool. Nippon Ichi's SRPGs are pretty much the SRPG versions of that, especially the Disgaea games, with a big emphasis on combos, turn orders, etc. It's like each encounter is a puzzle that you have to work out to make the most out of. If you have a DS, Radiant Historia kinda reminds me of that play style, as well, and is a really well regarded game in these forums.

When you put it that way, most Tales games are actually not too far off either: the presentation is different and there's a stronger real-time element to it, but the kinds of thing you have to focus on are similar.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'll hafta give this one a shot. Never bothered with the Spiderweb games since all of them seemed like remakes of remakes of remakes?

It's pretty much just the Exile/Avernum series that keeps getting remade all the time, since that's generally been their most reliable seller and remaking a game takes less work than making a new one from scratch. The Geneforge series is its own thing and so is Avadon. There are free demos available for all of their games, usually consisting of about the first 10-20% of the game, so there's not much risk involved in trying a couple of promising-looking games out and seeing if you like them.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Zereth posted:

I really don't recommend playing III.

Or at least save it until after IV. Phantasy Star III is pretty much a generic 16-bit JRPG with some innovative but wonky mechanics, and a plot and setting that are only tenuously connected to the rest of the series. It's not unplayably awful (if anything it's more playable than the first two games, just because of the lower difficulty), but you won't miss much if you skip it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

MechaX posted:

Thinking about Phantasy Star (I'm more leaning towards resuming the Collection or picking up Baten Kaitos 1 at this point), didn't Phantasy Star Generation 1 (PS1 remake) get a full English fantranslation? Now I'm wondering if I should just start playing that version over the original.

It did what now? Holy gently caress, indeed it did. I was not aware of this and you are a very cool person for telling me.

From what I've heard from people who have played PS:G1, it's still got the same plot as Phantasy Star but has a lot of extra incidental dialogue to flesh out the story and setting, which sounds like it might be what you're in the mood for right now. The gameplay has also been rejigged significantly to add a bit more complexity to combat: opinions seemed to differ on whether that's a good thing or not. Since you wanted to enjoy the original but had trouble getting into it, I'd say the remake is worth a try.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

TJO posted:

Exit Fate is ridiculously well designed, it's impossible to permanently miss out on any characters so don't worry about that. Underlevelled characters also get caught up within a couple of fights so don't worry about which guys you're using.

There's just one thing that can trip you up: if it looks like a big fight is coming up and the game gives you the option to save your game, save in an alternate slot. If you reload to that save, you won't get the chance to leave the area and grind before being thrown into the boss fight. This happens at least twice in the game, once fairly close to the end and once just before the final boss.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Mario RPG is not grindy at all. The platforming elements allow you to avoid encounters if you want to and are skilled enough, and even the hardest optional superboss can be beaten at a relatively low level if you play smart and equip yourself right.

Breath of Fire 2, on the other hand, is infamously poorly balanced. The encounter rate is high everywhere, and much of the time you'll have no access to the tools for reducing them. There are points throughout the game where you'll simply be unable to win if you're not at a certain level, and the level you have to be at is quite a bit higher than where you'll be if you have been playing normally and not getting too lost. The plot is full of backtracking in situations where you can't realistically have fast travel. The GBA version doubled enemies' EXP yields and you'll still have to spend a lot of time on the tiny secret island full of monsters who give thousands of EXP per fight in order to have a chance at surviving the final dungeon.

Night and day, those two are.

BoF2 isn't that bad by 16-bit JRPG standards: you'll gain enough levels to deal with random encounters as long as you explore dungeons thoroughly and don't run from battles, and nearly all the bosses are fairly easily beatable by abusing Ryu's dragon abilities. There are other things you can do to give yourself a leg up too, but some are obscure and/or missable -- if you're gonna play it, you should probably at least use a guide to decide who to invite to TownShip, because that can make a huge difference. Having said that, the best weapons for about half the characters in the game are 1/128 chance drops off late-game enemies, so yeah, it expects you to grind. If you don't have the patience to put up with RPGs of its era, give it a miss.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

NewtGoongrich posted:

Badbad is downright good compared to Homncruse. Yes, Homncruse. I always pronounced it "Hom-Nee-Crews" when I was a kid.

In hindsight, it was probably meant to be "Homunculus", which is still a pretty weird name for a villain.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yet another thing I missed by not having picked up Revengeance yet? poo poo, I gotta get on that.

On-topic: How the hell did Hyperdimension Neptunia sell well enough to justify a sequel?!

A combination of being produced on a budget of about five dollars and appealing to the lucrative creepy otaku market.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Darthemed posted:

How's Hexyz Force?

It's a Sting game, with all that entails: gimmicky inventory and battle systems, plus plot and character designs straight out of a 90s anime. It held my interest enough for one playthrough but I didn't feel like going back to see the other endings; it's pretty short for an RPG if you only play through it once, so take that as you will. Also, some people have problems with crashes at specific points during the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

That's good to know. It was just that she was doing something like 35 damage at most when everyone else was easily hitting the 70s. Everyone else also had a lot more flexibility with regards to moving enemies around or healing. The difference felt deliberate.

My inclination at the moment though is to mostly use Aht and either Grafka or Marco, since they have some enemy moving skills and those traps are helluva powerful.

That's a solid choice too. Stocke/Aht/Gafka ends up being a very, very strong party that can build up huge combo numbers and take advantage of them with powerful attacks.

Eruca does become powerful with enough work, but she has the worst availability of any character, so for a lot of the game you'll have to use someone else anyway. In particular, she's the only character who isn't in your party for one of the best late-game grinding spots, which makes her a pain to level up.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I can comment on this at least, as I played PSIV for the first time ever a little over a year ago on the Wii's VC. Sorry to say, it is as JRPG as a JRPG would JRPG. Cool game though!

Yeah, as much as I love PSIV, it's not really any more or less "mature" overall than the SNES Final Fantasies -- I guess you could say the translation quality is better than FF4 and the script takes itself more seriously than FF6 (on account of not being written by Woolsey), but in terms of actual content they're all about on par with each other. What it does have that FF4 and FF6 don't (and that it shares with most WRPGs) is a more understated sense of aesthetics: fewer bright colours, character sprites that are less iconic and more lifelike. I don't know if that aesthetic necessarily extends to the game's writing and plot, but it can certainly bleed over into the way people perceive those things. On that basis, I'd feel pretty confident recommending Radiant Historia to BadAstronaut as a game with similar aesthetics and a generally down-to-earth tone, if he's still on the lookout for JRPGs he can get into.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 9, 2013

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

Weird, I don't remember random battles taking that long, ever. The very first dungeon is a little boring but it's over quickly. It's been a while since I played but did you put everyone in the back row or something?

It's definitely possible to run into big problems later on if you use characters with low weapon accuracy and don't keep their accuracy fully upgraded all the time (which gets expensive as hell; the weapon upgrade system is the worst thing about Exit Fate and actively discourages you from experimenting with different characters), but I'm not sure how things could get that bad that early.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Levantine posted:

What is the "definitive" version of Breath of Fire 2? I haven't played it in ages and I know a translation patch exists for at least the SNES version. Its only the GBA and SNES versions, right?

Yeah, and they both play basically the same. I'd recommend using the SNES version with Ryusui's retranslation patch, because BoF2's official translation honestly verges on incomprehensible in places.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

A lot of classic PC RPGs did it pretty well. Some of the later Wizardries had level scaling that worked pretty well for example, though there were usually limits on how it worked. (ie different areas topped off on what they could throw you) I remember playing one game--I forget which one, I think maybe Knights of Legend?--where you leveled by cashing in your EXP for weapon and armor skills or something and they would scale enemies so that they'd have combat skills roughly on par with yours too.

Might & Magic 2 had an interesting and subtle kind of level scaling. Each area would tend to contain certain kinds of monsters independent of your level, but the number of them you encountered per battle would depend on your level: if you were at or below the area's expected minimum level then an average random encounter would usually contain a number of monsters equal to your party size, while if you were significantly above it you might see two or three times that number of enemies per fight. There was also a "party disposition" option in the settings which essentially let you force the game to scale to the minimum or maximum possible level at all times.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

E: no wonder it was so good, the guy behind it was the director of Chrono Trigger, FF4, and Parasite Eve. Any one of those games would be worth a million-dollar Kickstarter campaign.

While Parasite Eve is a lot of fun, it's also incredibly short for an RPG: you can reasonably finish a playthrough in 2-3 hours if you don't waste time. There's a huge bonus dungeon available in New Game+ that tacks on another couple of hours but that's about it. Seems like they blew most of their budget on FMVs (which are, admittedly, really impressive for the time).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

So what is people's opinion of Hexyz Force? My friend recommended it to me and well, he likes Neptunia.

It's okay. Pretty typical Sting game: gimmicky but somewhat interesting mechanics, fairly standard JRPG plot and art design. I played through it once and liked it well enough but ran out of steam on a second playthrough when I hit a crashing bug that stopped me from completing a sidequest. Pick it up if you like item crafting systems and hidden true endings with annoyingly obscure requirements.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Forest Thief Pud posted:

I'm near the end of Radiant Historia, and it's pretty hilarious how much the game doesn't want you to use Eruca. When she first joing, she just doesn't have a whole lot to offer to the party and is dead weight. Later on with some level, she still doesn't have a whole lot to actually contribute that the other characters can do better unless you get her two hilariously broken sounding bonus skills. Beyond that, she isn't allowed in your party for most of the Alternate History chapters and is forced out of the party for the final dungeon of each timeline. It's just silly at this point.

Yeah, Eruca's really good in the late game if you bother to level her up, but you have to go out of your way to do so, and given that you can break most of the game with just Aht there's not a lot of motivation to focus on other characters.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So Chrono Trigger has a branching storyline? Or at least multiple endings I believe. But a JRPG is not typically that short even if I know what I'm doing. Is it worth playing the game through twice in a row to try and unlock these different endings or whatever? Does it take a long time?

It's not exactly a branching storyline, aside from a couple of ending variations that depend on optional things you can do in the later parts of game: the way it works is that you can confront the end boss at any time beyond a certain point in the game (or if you're in New Game+, at any point right from the start of the game) and what ending you get depends on how far you've advanced the plot. So you can pretty much play all the way through the first time without worrying about endings, get a normal ending, and then play through a second time with a guide to collect all the alternate endings.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Well, barring any crit shenanigans with Ayla.

Or Robo with Crisis Arm, once you figure out how it works from the misleading item description.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

That whole campfire scene and the subsequent flashback/time travel stuff with Lucca's mother is straight out of a different game. I mean it was good and interesting but man it felt out-of-place.

I did all the sidequests though except for Black Omen. Do I have to do those in order of era? Like if I beat it in the oldest era and get treasure will the treasure not be there in later era versions?

Also I think I might just tackle Lavos. Not now as I'm tired but tomorrow. If I win I'll just save my New Game+ to a different slot. Then I can load my original pre-final boss save and finish up the various dungeons and things.

You can go through the Black Omen up to three times if you want to by going in reverse temporal order, entering it for the first time in 1000 AD and going back an era each subsequent time. It's exactly the same every time, you'll just get three times as much experience and treasure (it's good experience and treasure, though, especially if you use Charm on enemies).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The special ending you get for opening the portal to Lavos at the Millennial Fair and beating him with just Chrono and Marle is pretty funny but most are just eh.

Punch Card posted:

If I remember correctly, the best one is the ending you get for beating Lavos (who is more powerful than usual for this fight, at least in his first form) when you fight and are supposed to lose to him in the Undersea Palace.

You're both talking about the same ending; there are two different ways to get it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The one big trick to making a good physical attacker in Bravely Default is that you pretty much want to be using Two-Handed all the time (or Dual Wield, although you have to build around that a bit to make it really effective). Also, Agility matters as much to your damage output as Strength, since it affects your hit count: because of this, low-AGI classes like Pirate or Swordmaster tend to do less damage than you'd otherwise expect.

Oh, and make sure you work toward maxing out Norende's shops, because once you can afford the top-tier Norende weapons they're the best you can get until very close to the end of the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

goldjas posted:

I have no idea what this game is or what it's about, but this song kind of makes me want to buy it.

Edit: Looking up more about it, it sounds like the game is very Ok, not bad or great. Uematsu as composer though, the hell?

He worked on the music for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory as well. Compile Heart must have some serious dirt on him.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

there's a psn sale going on:

Are any of Time and Eternity, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, and Battle Princess of Arcadias worth 7$?

A friend who has played Time and Eternity assures me that it is really bad. Neptunia V is utility-grade extruded anime fanservice JRPG product, but reasonably playable if you're in the market for that. Don't know anything about Battle Princess of Arcadias except that it got so-so reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Levantine posted:

Interesting, I don't have a lot of options yet because I'm only around Level 8. The early-game seems overly balanced towards a small party so having a full party early on has totally removed the difficulty. I'm sure that'll come back and bite me in the rear end though. I've basically been using my Assassin as a Sneak Attack machine and it's worked out really well. I read that you need 25 AGI to negate the offhand penalty when dual-wielding. Is that accurate? I didn't see anything to that effect in-game.

Demon Gaze is pretty opaque about its mechanics, but 25 AGI seems to be people's consensus. Honestly, my experience was that most player characters just aren't that strong early on compared to your demons: Mars can just about let you sail through the early/midgame on her own. Your PCs do eventually catch up, but don't get too worried if some of them feel underpowered right now.