Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I don't mind if people grind, especially if they enjoy it or just want a way to waste time.

What I can't stand is people who grind to way above what's expected then say that the game doesn't promote strategic depth throughout the game. I'm looking at you, personal friend that grinded to level 60 in the ghost train part of FFVII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

LR's story tone in general is "Just roll with it." I personally loved it. It gets insane and silly and bonkers very quick, and feels like it makes fun of the series ' own melodrama

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mr E posted:

I got the PS3 release of SMT: Nocturne on a whim yesterday - holy poo poo it's really good. I'm just pumping points into strength right now, any specific build I should go for?

Strength based build is best (and probably canon). Note that skills, once forgotten, cannot be relearned, so hang onto them. If you're Strength based, make especially sure that you never let go of Focus, which you can get relatively early, as there's no endgame or Magic equivalent.

Besides that, just have fun? I don't think the game is too punishing when it comes to builds, because you live or die mostly on your whole party composition. Even if you "mess up" the MC, your demons will pull you through. Similarly, if you have a demon that's dragging the team down in a dungeon or fight, it might be better to replace the guy or flat out remove the Demon from the party than leave it in to mess things up.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 31, 2016

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's the world ends with you on mobile (android)? Mostly I'm asking about the control scheme, as I heard they fixed the compatibility issues

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I like all the endings in Nocturne but really the true demon one is badass incarnate. Even getting there is amazing as you get a game spanning quest line that requires you to be badass through it all.

Nocturne is the story of a mute guy who recruits demons by punching them really hard. Also the world is dieded.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trying to decide if I should jump into Trails of Cold Steel. How long does it take before I get to the meat of the game? Slow starts just make me put off games forever.

Looking for something moderately fast paced with charming characters that I can just pick up and drop on and off at will. I think it looks like a good fit but I'm not sure. I played the first Trails in the Sky way back when and I got through most of the game, is that a good frame of reference?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the Cold Steel advice everyone! I think I'm going to peek into some midgame videos to see if these day-to-day things and characters are up my alley.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I was sold on Berseria right from the start when I met rear end in a top hat SHOPKEEPER in Velvet's home town.

Also one of the early skits with killing boars and concluding that it's a rational decision.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think it just means that the first iteration of the script centered on Basch, and by the end product, the plot included Vaan and Penelo.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

It has come to my attention that Phantom Dust Remastered is free for Windows 10. Is it worth checking out?

From what I know, it's a cult XBox Action RPG hit where you create decks of cards that spawn in the arena which you collect and then use to combat enemies. Watching videos, it looks a bit stilted, definitely more RPG than Action, and the vids I saw didn't seem to have any movement options, or maybe the players just didn't use them. Looks a little janky, and not sure how it holds up today. I tried looking up video reviews on YouTube but not much was out there.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

"Tacked on singleplayer" sounds bad so that's a no go from me, thanks!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trails of Cold Steel: Do bonding points carry over to the next free day or should I just use all of them up? I just started and on my first free day but don't really feel like using it on the characters available, unless they go away once the day progresses.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

chumbler posted:

They're proto 2B and 9S, though 2B has more emotions. Honestly though Lightning is pretty fun in it, especially if you like characters who are annoyed about everyone around them just constantly loving around.

It is also important that you dress up Lightning in the gaudiest outfits possible, for Maximum Fun.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not a game over (and not an RPG) but the first thing that came to mind for music that stays with me is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPU_lbpLNuE

Mostly because it's a remix of the main theme that's suitably depressing and heavy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Getsuya posted:

Is there any special reason demons turn me down in Nocturne? I thought at first it was level related, but I’ve had demons turn me down once and then join me just fine the very next battle. I know I can’t recruit on the full moon, but other than that what factors in?

It’s frustrating pouring resources into these things only to have them say ‘Sorry I can’t join you but here’s a cheap healing item’ leaving me with no idea what went wrong.

Though it was funny when my Jack Frost scouted a Hua Po and she got upset that I sent a kid to recruit her (despite, by her own admission, being a kid herself)

I don't know about under the hood but I believe it's a percentage chance. So the better it is, the higher your chances of getting them to join. If it fails, I believe the next time you try has higher chances if it's a success.

Again, no idea how accurate it is. Could be confirmation bias.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

WrightOfWay posted:

FFVIII definitely has issues in the writing department but it also has some incredible set pieces, a fantastic soundtrack and an interesting, if easily broken, character progression system.

If you want to break the game with a minimal amount of effort: Quistis' card can be refined into 180 Triples by Diabolos' Time Magic RF and Zell's card can be refined into 3 items that teach a GF Strength +60%.

I always do Siren Light Magic Refine for 10 tents to 100 curagas. Boom infinite limit breaks on disc 1, or even just after the dollet mission.

.. you can afford 10 tents by selling the occult fan magazine hidden in the balamb library.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

CubeTheory posted:

Lezard is so cool

he's one of my favourite villains, going to insane lengths to get some

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Octopath Traveler is out on Steam. Nice looking pixel art, but the price point seems very steep, at least in my region...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I hear there's a new TWEWY on Switch but it only has "single" controls from my understanding? How does it live up to the OG TWEWY, which I absolutely love and adore? Worth it still, even if it's in a different way?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oh that sounds neat! Googling the co-op mode now, thank you!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait wasn't the nun evil?

EDIT: Wait I forgot, the nun in the player's party right

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I could be remembering it wrong but I am pretty confident that Grandia 2's final boss is a bright butterfly with the pope's face on its nether regions.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

the ps1 had so many weird jrpgs that somehow got western releases. i was thinking about thousand arms for some reason the other day. also jade cocoon tho thats less obscure. and legend of legaia....

I remember being super pissed at Thousand Arms because I was trying to figure out how to get good conversation routes and when I save stated it turns out that responses can be randomised and I just-

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

It was kind of on the down low, but iirc Ramza's natural class in FFT was plot gated; you don't get access to his full range of Squire abilities until you're back in the "present." I don't think there's a tooltip or anything that makes this obvious, it's just "Well we're done with the past, here's the party now, oh wait there's new abilities."

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Been itching to play some old RPGs. Not sure what I'm in the mood for, but I suddenly had a thought about Radiata Stories, and how I wish there was another Radiata Stories that wasn't...Radiata Stories. I wanna live in a town full of people and kick them and have more fun with it!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Amppelix posted:

Huh, why did i have the distinct impression it was exclusive?

did i mix it up with like FFVII remake or something

You might be unlucky, like me!

:negative:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

A Sometimes Food posted:

Legit the only interesting thing about Zestiria is that Sorey was gay with the water spirit guy.

My sister likes Zestiria and as far as I can tell, this is literally the main thing her entire attachment to it is based on because the rest is...not great. All about the ship!

EDIT: Forgot some of the music was great too. Still!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's Indivisible? OG Valkyrie Profile is probably my favourite Playstation game, though I assume other than the battle system and the 2D platforming dungeons there are few similarities. Is the comboing fun and is the character variety good? It's always been on my radar but I'm just not sure if it'll recapture that magic..

Considering it because it's part of this month's Humble Choice which also has One Step from Eden, Overcooked 2, Children of Morta, and the Frog Detective games, and is also at a $15 for 15 price.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How are the Disgaea games? I know they get to ridiculous numbers but I assume that's mostly relegated to post-game shenanigans. Is it more FFT-style learning abilities/classes or is it closer to like a puzzle game in disguise or something else entirely? And if there was only one to get, which one would it be?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Colonel posted:

i like that in vp2 lezard is trying to act like a good guy but he's literally incapable of not being the most evil fucker in the universe so he's still constantly shouting "hahaha... these weaklings... they truly think they can match up to my might...? we shall crush them like the worms they are..."

lezard carries vp2 for me in general, like the absurd lengths he goes to for some loving

i love explaining the plot to friends

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Snooze Cruise posted:

people shoulda not mention troubleshooter the last page i just spent 10 hours in it despite getting it last night and being in the middle of banner of the maid and yakuza 7

How's Banner of the Maid? Looks like a nice graphics FE-like if I'm understanding the mechanics correctly. I can't find if there's a speed up or skip animation option

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I refuse to accept a Dragon's Dogma that doesn't have the loving hilarious affection system the original had.

I played this so long ago that I forget how this worked.

When I think of Dragon's Dogma jank, I think of the insane pawn system conversations. TIS WEAK TO FIRE.

Actually my favourite is something along the lines of "Look at that big tree. If you go up to it, it looks bigger."

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I was just thinking about old classics and then it dawned on me that I never played Skies of Arcadia. Should this be rectified? Is it fast paced?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I was reading up Before I Play for Disgaea 5 and the last one says that if I want DLC characters I should get them early. So I got them from the content shop, Nisa, Swamp Witch, Girl Laharl, and they seem...really strong? Why should I get them early? Or were they referring to the characters I get from quests?

For reference, I haven't played Disgaea and earlier in this thread people said "If you wanna jump in just go to 5 straight" so I'm not sure if this is a precedent of some kind.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 2, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I was fine with MP Death in SO3 in the sense that I thought of it as "SMT cast from hit points, but juggling two stats instead." It's not communicated to the player that it's a thing, yeah, but it's not a concept I hated, just was blindsided by it

The bigger issue is button feel, especially since you activate specials by HOLDING DOWN ONE OF TWO ATTACK BUTTONS. In a fast paced action RPG

Let's not forget characters joining at the start of the game then showing up again near the end with the same stats that you left them with

And teeeeedious dungeons!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait, I thought there already was a Bravely Default 2 for the 3DS?

EDIT: Found it, Bravely Default Second, not to be confused with Bravely Default 2

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's the combat/character progression of Rogue Galaxy? I've never tried it and I am very trigger happy with cutscene skip anyway so bad scenes aren't really a problem for me

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Clarste posted:

It's been a long time since I played it, but I would say Rogue Galaxy's combat and progression are worse than its cutscenes. The cutscenes were the good part.

drat that's bad, glad teenage me missed out then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I feel like playing a collect many characters JRPG. Right now I'm considering Radiata Stories, Chrono Cross, Suikoden V, The Last Remnant. Any other options that I should be considering?

The one I'm considering the most out of these is probably Chrono Cross, mostly because I never managed to get into it way back when. The rest I've gotten substantially far in but never beat.

Don't feel like tactics games, two other games that came to mind (Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden 2) I've played a lot of already.