Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmm, I just sort of mean games like Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic etc, generally have adults communicating like adults

Did you see any of the romance scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SC's book collection is less of a punishment, at least.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's like you said earlier. Getting A-Rank in SC requires things that no sane person would think to do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

What should I know before playing NWN2 for the first time? Does the game assume/work better with a particular class? I usually play wizards but if there's a bunch of dialogue locked behind picking another class I might want to play that instead. I've got the complete version from GOG but never got around to playing it.

There's no special dialogue for character classes that I remember, but it's based on D&D 3.5 which means All Spellcasters, All The Time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow so Trails SC is just dialling the anime up to 11, huh? :munch:

Just finished Chapter 1 and Liberl's suddenly gonna be lousy with giant robots made of polygons, isn't it?

one day you'll get to Trails of Cold Steel and we can look back on this with a hearty good-natured laugh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A just punishment for not talking to all your party members twice on every flight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ooof, that's gonna be fun when I inevitably miss just one minor thing and have to save/quit just to go back for it. One other question though; Is reuniting with Joshua going to be a very-end-game thing, or just a late-game thing?

It happens at the end of Chapter 6. Then he's your second party member for the rest of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Emma's deal is pretty obviously being saved for Cold Steel II, just like Joshua's deal was mostly just hinted at in Sky FC and then properly dealt with in SC

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Verranicus posted:

I haven't even beat FC yet and the biggest reason is how slow the battles are, with the abysmal first battle theme being second. I want something exciting, not loving smooth jazz.

The main enemy faction gets different battle music and it's pretty good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the thing that isnt used by any other enemy there, or any other prior enemy in the game, so you have zero awareness that it's coming?

literally every SC dungeon whose boss has an ailment gimmick will hand out the right protection items for you

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 17, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody played Sword Coast Legends? It's on sale on Steam right now for $10 and I was wondering if anybody here knows anything about it. Personally, I've heard some complaints that it doesn't truly follow the actual D&D rule sets but I don't really care about that, I just want to know if it's a fun RPG with interesting combat and...

1. Are your AI companions good enough at the game where you can kinda stick with your own character without having to micro the rest of your party much? and...
2. Are individual classes fun and engaging enough to keep you entertained without feeling like you need to control the rest of your party? and...
3. Can I play pure roles? Can I make a healer that literally only buffs and heals other classes for the entire game, or a tank that only exists to absorb agro and enemy hits but doesn't do much damage, etc?

the 4e backlash caused Wizards of the Coast to give up on ever putting effort or imagination into a D&D product again

take a look at Divinity: Original Sin instead

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

Finished TiTS SC. Goddamn that Loewe battle is complete bullshit and I didn't bother trying to stick it out and win.

There are at least two ways to win it:

--Blow every Zeram Capsule and Powder you've got. The first time I fought Loewe was a Benny Hill skit, with one conscious party member desperately tossing a Zeram onto someone else in the instant before they got mauled.
--Bring a caster with the Time Gem and Earth Guard/Earth Wall/Gaea Shield, and have them do literally nothing but cast those for the entire fight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Charlie Bobson posted:

Does anyone have any tips for playing through Trails in The Sky for the first time?

Arts will be stronger than crafts through most of FC, especially in the last dungeon. SC takes some steps to fix this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anothergod posted:

Can you guys rec an RPG to me? I got a PS4, PS3, and a PC. I like FF6, 12, Phantasy Star Online, Demons Souls, Persona 4, Earthbound, SaGa Frontier, and uh Links Awakening.

Edit: aye sorry for the wide range. I'd be most excited with good, tight action and diverse gameplay options. And something that reminds me of 6 or EB. Also I have a weird affinity to SaGa Frontier and when I saw it wasn't on PSN I was shocked and saddened and started looking for help...

Undertale? It's on Steam for :10bux:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't help feeling like "popcorn JRPG" is a redundant phrase

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's terrible, what Neptunia does to people

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Are there any edit:decent JRPGs that have an approximation of Suikoden's home base mechanic?

Take this with a huge grain of salt, but I think Trails of Cold Steel II is going to have something like that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have changed my mind

HyperDimension Neptunia is actually an underappreciated gem

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trails in the Sky is no slower than any other RPG

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I appreciate that there's one game that doesn't pretend the Dark Lord's final victory is imminent while you spend twenty hours collecting crafting bullshit or clearing out optional dungeons

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 27, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Slur posted:

There's two quartz: one makes enemies avoid you. The other (found at the end of the game) makes it so enemies ignore you outright even when you're engaging with them.

There's another that lets you see monsters at any distance. You can get it by the end of Chapter 1, and by itself it's enough to let you easily avoid fights you don't want to bother with.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 27, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is Cold Steel similar to Trails in the Sky in the wordiness department?

I'd say it's about as wordy, and the writing generally isn't as good as Sky's, but they did improve the combat in a lot of ways.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Trails series do have one recurring character who's incognito during Sky, and then Cold Steel gives away their real identity almost immediately. It's the only part of Sky that CS actually spoils.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Caphi posted:

Does Trails in the Sky literally quiz you on setting factoids like "what is the population of the capital"?

There's a sidequest in SC's Chapter 1 where Estelle has to lecture about bracers at a Sunday school. It's a callback to Schera's lecture about bracers at the very beginning of FC. Most of the answers you need to know are right on the front page of your bracer notebook.

Cold Steel is the one with all the quizzes about setting factoids.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Also the "what should I know thread" hasn't answered, are there any major gotchas to ToCS if I end up playing that?

One of Cold Steel's supporting characters is also in Trails in the Sky, and their identity is a bit of a spoiler.

I don't know that CS will be any less repetitive than Odin Sphere--probably more so. I've never played any of the Ateliers so I can't speak to them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cold Steel's combat is definitely faster and more involved.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bears are one thing, but bears are something else entirely

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm playing Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth at the moment and just out of curiosity; is the protagonist a foreigner in Japan in the original Japanese version? Just wondering if it's something fudged into the script for the western release.

the Cyber Sleuth is clearly Japanese, as evidenced by their blue eyes and neon red hair

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

Have you considered trying PNGs? I know it's a little outside what you asked for but there are some good ones.

if you can even find any for the Vita with all these goddamn tiffy games

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 21, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth continues to amaze and entertain into its endgame :allears:

I did not expect some guy hacking an arcade machine so he could steal women's likenesses to make sex dolls, and then the dollfuckers would receive an offer to be set up with their perfect waifu forever, except they were really just having their minds trapped in the internet while their bodies were harvested for organs

Digimon!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wendell posted:

Once the digivolving slowed down so did my interest in playing!

I definitely recommend getting three PlatinumSukamon or PlatinumNumemon and all the Tactician USBs you can find, so that grinding goes super quick. I couldn't imagine finishing the game without them, especially the Great Challenges or Seven Deadly Digimon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just quoting this again as I took the advice to heart with a PlatinumSukamon and holy poo poo the XP I'm getting now :magical:

*the hellish clattering sound of your entire party gaining forty levels at once*

Each Platinum Bonus and Tactician USB on your three Battle Digimon is an extra +100% base experience, and they'll all stack. I never bothered with training because it seemed like all the best digivolutions need really high ABI and CAM.

The poops don't get any strong attacks by default, but I think you can digivolve to Etemon for Nightmare III, and digivolve to PlatNumemon from there.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I also accidentally loving nuked an hour's playtime because of one of the bonus bosses being a shithead because loving Leopardmon in Great Challenge 2 kept on Anti-Stunning his way back to half-health and I needed to reset because I'd burned all my good healing items to keep pace after he did it twice and the writing was on the wall for a long slow death.

Isn't he a Data-type? Lilithmon will solve all your Data problems forever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone got any advice for offing Imperialdramon PM in Cyber Sleuth?

That's basically a puzzle fight, where you have to survive his uber-attacks long enough for him to say "Such power..." or something, and then you can one-shot him. Jesmon has a special move that makes him invulnerable for a round. Put some SP boosts on him and you're good to go.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finished Cyber Story and it's always nice to see a fun happy ending :unsmith:

Doesn't King Drasil, or possibly Suedou, in the process of rewriting history to prevent everything that went bad, still decide to drop the Sleuth into a coma for eight loving years? Thanks, Kingie/Suedou. You're a peach.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 28, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

If the price is 'free', is Beyond Good and Evil HD worth getting?

no, give it to me instead

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Because the original version came out 14 years ago and I don't know if the gameplay, story and controls have aged well enough to try or not.

I haven't played BG+E in ages but this is an almost definite yes, especially for free.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

18 of those hours should have been in old owl well

seconded

The castle was neat, the trial was awesome, but NWN2's whole first act is a waste of time. They could have cut it out completely and had your character grow up in Ember instead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't remember this one. Has XSEED actually added jokes to all the SC chests now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

How did you enjoy any jrpg in the SNES/PS1 era

his cousin wasn't born yet