Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

madpanda posted:

Suburbs of chicago. There are a bunch of stores in the city but i haven't had a chance to make the trek out yet. And my pile of stuff to play is growing.

Theres a warehouse vinyl sale today and I'm going to try the flea market as well.

Which side of the suburbs do you live in? If you're north or northwest I can let you know if the flea market is worth bothering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

madpanda posted:

I went to wolfs flea market in palatine and ended up with an entry level technics with a newish audio technica stylus for $50 and a bunch of records for another $30. Overall pretty good day.

Haha, that's why I was asking, Wolff's is the poo poo. I go there at least once a month for records. Did you get it from the guy on the far right side, near the wall? I always see a million players there. And the guy is real cool.

Wolff's also runs an outdoor market in the lot of the Allstate Arena that's really good if it's nice out.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

izationalizer posted:

For what it's worth, this $9 green label mono copy of "Pet Sounds" is said to be very nice sounding--much nicer than the original black/rainbow mono--and the last copy on eBay auctioned for almost twice as much ($17).

Not sure if it sounds as good as that mono bonus LP of "Pet Sounds" that comes along with the Carl and the Passions album, though. I have my doubts. But either way, the green label is supposedly pretty great.

Never mind. After a bit of mental back-and-forth, I decided to buy it myself. I'll compare it to the Carl and the Passions and sell whichever one is inferior.

Is the Carl and the Passions you have one of those mid-70s Beach Boys comps with two albums in one package? Usually a basic white cover with one image on each side. I have Wild Honey and Surf's Up (I think) that way.

If they green label Pet Sounds ends up with the worse sound, let me know. I'll buy it off you.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If anyone is a fan of late-period Dylan, the 2 LP + CD version of Tempest is only $13.

On amazon lightning deals, for the next 20 minutes.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If I ever met Bob Ezrin, I'd want to ask him about Music from 'The Elder'.

Vis a vis the amount of cocaine it took for everyone involved in that album to convince themselves it was a good a idea.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Everyone here who hasn't heard of Quasimoto needs to listen to The Unseen ASAP. Lord Quas is the poo poo.

Madlib is a master sampler and one of the most prolific beat makers in hip-hop.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
McCartney II is an amazing album. NEW was actually pretty decent, worth one spin at least.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
As a former Sears Holdings employee, it looks like this stuff is sold by a different store and fulfilled by Sears. Their website is really poor at differentiating that, to the point where it even says "Sold by: Sears" in the confirmation email.

Sears doesn't stock records online or in stores. The dude who signs the "your order is processing" email was my boss' boss' boss.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's the most reliable website for ordering turntable parts? I recently came in to possession of a Pioneer PL590 (for free), I'm looking to dust it off and restore it.

Everything looks to be in decent shape, but I want to replace the needle because it's very old and hasn't been used in awhile. I shouldn't really need to replace the entire cartridge right?

I figure I just need

- New needle
- Preamp

and I should be good to go. I haven't fired it up yet, but belt seems to be in good shape as does the arm.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
YMMV on this, but the Urban Outfitters by me had a shitload of copies of Ghostface Killah's Twelve Reasons to Die and MCII by Mikal Cronin marked down to $10 on clearance.

Woodfield Mall if anyone else is in my part of the world.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah, I was just going to say... anyone who poo poo-talks live albums clearly isn't a soul music fan. James Brown at the Apollo, Sam Cooke at Harlem Square, Bill Withers at Carnegie Hall, Curtis/Live!

Soul takes on a whole different sound in the live setting.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really want the RSD reissue of Satanic Panic in the Attic. Of Montreal's site says its limited to 2,000, that should be pretty easy to find right? I'd rather not wait outside for an hour.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

3dou posted:

Yikes. I've always hated the way RSD listed their poo poo.

Here's a spreadsheet I got a couple of weeks ago all record store owners get.
I took out some stuff, but all the basics are there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmO69tqPoNq7dGVZZTk0N0p3VmVicUt0Z1hTRG1saEE

This is a goddamn public service, thank you so much for sharing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Me in Reverse posted:

Every album I bought from the last major BestBuy clearance was damaged in some way. Expect disappointment.

Make sure to run the prices against Amazon, as well. I thought a lot of things in there were good deals were either the same price on Amazon (who are much more reliable for shipping records) or only a buck or two cheaper.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know why people are always like "Who gives a gently caress about the cover, man? It's all about the MUSIC."

Like, it's possible to want to enjoy something for both its functionality and its aesthetics. If I buy a book, it's to read the contents but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a version with a cover that isn't all ripped up and water-damaged too.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BigFactory posted:

You're joking, right? There aren't actually people that early at your music store are there?

I'm not him, but last year I got to my store an hour before it opened (8 a.m.) and there were already 30+ people in line. I think it depends on where you live.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there anywhere selling RSD releases online, like last year? I drove to the store, saw 50 people in line almost 2 hours before they opened and just turned around to go home.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

b0red posted:

So glad I don't care about any of the releases for RSD. Just gonna try to get some cheap reggae and electronic tunes today.

I went to another store that didn't get any RSD releases and they gave me 40% off a copy of Ahh... the Name is Bootsy Baby, so today is an inarguable success either way.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I found the "Chicken Head" single at a flea market. I play that poo poo all the time, it's a banger.

It's all about "North North" though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Y'all need to wise up and listen to the The Harder they Come soundtrack.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jerry Cotton posted:

If we stick to moving pictures, Klaus Doldinger and David Rose.

Also Ennio Morricone, Goblin, Tangerine Dream. It says a lot that I listened to the score from Sorcerer a while before I actually saw that movie.

But like, no one gives a poo poo about John Williams' scores that aren't part of huge, nostalgia-fueled franchises. When was the last time you heard someone go "Wow, John Williams' score to War Horse was really top notch! Can't wait to pick it up on vinyl."

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Defleshed posted:

I am certainly not, but at the same time nobody should ever care what the guy who ruined Black Flag thinks about them.

Black Flag made My War with Henry Rollins.

After Henry Rollins left, they made this -

Greg Ginn ruined Black Flag.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Defleshed posted:

I know this is not a popular opinion but I hate My War. I'm a big fan of the Keith Morris/Ron Reyes/Dez Cadena era. But I've always like my punk rock to be punk rock and not faux-intellectual poetry horseshit. I actually like Henry Rollins and what he stands for in the music "industry", but I've never liked any of his creative output.

I love the Morris/Cadena stuff too (First Four Years is my favorite album of all time), but I think My War is great. It hits the perfect balance between the early stuff that just rips and the second-side, sludgy stuff.

I have an affinity for sludge and doom, so I could see why that second half of My War would turn you off if you didn't.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I own a test copy of "The Bird" by Morris Day & The Time.

The label is handwritten with pencil. No I don't know why I own this.

It's because Prince wrote it

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Philadelphia is the second best vinyl city to me, after Nashville.

Not counting Chicago, because of my home city biases.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wronkos posted:

What's the worst store you guys have been to? I remember going to this hole-in-the-wall in San Antonio that left its door open at all times during the summer, so flies were literally escaping from the dusty smooth jazz bins.

Shooting Star Records in Carpentersville, Illinois. It wasn't a bad store, but the guy who ran it was the prototypical "lazy record store guy" who didn't realize that yes, owning a record store is like having any other job. You don't get to just hang out and talk about music all day.

He was constantly closing the shop for 2+ hours for "lunch". It seemed like the store was closed every single time I stopped by, regardless of it was noon or 3 p.m.

I eventually stopped going, and everyone else must have too because they went out of business shortly after.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Passion for Dilbert posted:

Is giving out download codes still a thing, or acceptable?

If so, here is a digital copy of the deluxe edition of Glass Boys by hosed Up. The deluxe edition contains the album, and a second version of the album with half-time drums. It's very cool.

There are two downloads remaining for this one.

Go to https://www.matadorrecords.com/mp3promotion.php

UPC: 744861104988
Code: GLASNSTW27RB

Some non-poster took these. Thank you for the gesture though!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Personperson14 posted:

I heard those Elvis records can go for sale on ebay for 100 bucks :downs:

If you're looking for trouble

You came to the right place.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

daspope posted:

I guess people with good taste in music keep dieing here. Randy Newman's Sail Away was inside the Tom Rush sleeve.

Haha, wonder why...

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So yeah, you should probably go to Urban Outfitters. $9.99 a piece:

The Shins - Chutes too Narrow
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Elliott Smith - XO
Superchunk - I Hate Music
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

YMMV obviously, but the one by me is in a huge and well-trafficked mall; they had a ton left.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

b0red posted:

Better head on down to urban and pickup the new major lazer vinyl before it sells out

Praise be unto our lord God, Lana Del Rey, for causing a bunch of indie rock records to be heavily discounted.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I picked up A Hard Day's Night and Foreign Correspondent.

Really looking forward to seeing Foreign Correspondent. It's on the short list of Hitchcock films I haven't yet seen.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cloks posted:

Here you go, buddy.

Ugh, I'm a loving dumbass. Thank you.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yeah but like, it's probably 3 million copies of Firestone Christmas albums and other thrift store tat.

This is my favorite free automotive-related record:

Proud to own Stan the Man's Hit Record.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chill Callahan posted:

Classic neil collection finally complete

Do you have Time Fades Away? That one's essential, man. Especially since it's still not on CD or digital.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
YMMV obviously, but the Urban Outfitters in my mall has insane clearance again

$10 each -

Hamilton Leithauser - Black Hours
Grandaddy - Under the Western Freeway
The Bronx - IV
Peter Matthew Bauer - Liberation

I already have the Hamilton Leithauser album on CD, so enjoy:

dominorecordco.com/coupon

TMTURSP4

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Anywhere selling overstock online today? That's how I got all my stuff last year. Only interested in the Pete & Pete album and the WWF stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't think Glass Houses sounds like Billy Joel trying to play punk, but it DID lead to the most punk moment of his career:

http://youtu.be/PqY6mXULzpw

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hey man there's no age limit on Creedence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm guessing he's equating CD/Digital with headphones and vinyl with speakers, though that's also nonsensical.