Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I honestly thought that gun was part of the level geometry until I saw the later screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Voxels are slow as hell compared to sprites/models, at least in the way they are currently integrated into the Doom engine. Somebody made a voxel wall segment to see what it would look like, and, while pretty cool, just that one wall was enough to chug the engine noticeably.

Ken Silverman (the infamous creator of the Build engine) made a tech demo for a 100% voxel game called Voxlap. I see he has a newer thing from 2014 that I haven't played with yet. The demo was fun to play around with but hard to imagine as a functional game. Someone was crazy enough to try with Voxelstein 3D but it has some, ah, minor quirks.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

M.Ciaster posted:

Yeah performance was mostly what I was worried about. Plus, I have no idea how to make voxels in the first place so that was just me idly wondering about stuff :v:
That's the other big headache: the tools to create them. From what I can tell, the tools are more or less 3D versions of pixel editing tools. You can easily generate a voxel model from a traditional polygonal 3D model, but if you already have the normal model, what's that point of the voxel one?

If you're feeling masochistic, you can download SLAB6 which was the tool used to create the voxel models for Blood, Shadow Warrior, and the Doom Voxel Project.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've been inspired to replay Unreal. I remember that UT99 had higher-quality versions of some of the textures. Do I just install the HQ textures off UT99 disc 2 and copy over the texture files from UT to Unreal with the same file name? Also, is there a go-to modern renderer for UT99? There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to Unreal 227.

Does the CD version of AvP Gold not work on modern Windows? The Steam page for AvP Classic seems to imply as much.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've seen that site, but aren't they fan-made? I don't think I've ever seen stock texture replacements that I've liked.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was under the impression that Future Shock /SkyNet got decent but not great reviews. A 1996 FPS just isn't going do justice to the future war setting, though. I think I tried playing the demos on my 486 SX 25 back in the day but they nearly melted it :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Elliotw2 posted:

AVP 2000 is actually really garbage if you're not playing in multiplayer, AVP2 is a considerably better game for solo play.
Garbage is kinda harsh. I have fond memories of murdering people as the alien.

It's kinda odd how the game is like halfway between the old-school wheelbarrow of levels and a more modern story-driven campaign. From what I remember there sorta is a story but you have to really pay attention or you'll miss it. Mostly the game just shoves you in familiar locales from the movies with little pretense.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

Y'know, I'm starting to get this vague feeling that the first couple generations of Lithtech were a bit arse. Call it a hunch...
LithTech was always the also-ran to id and Epic's engines. I honestly didn't know that it survived beyond the early 2000s before I checked Wikipedia.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

closeted republican posted:

There was a show? Oh god.
Yup.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't think I "get" Rise of the Triad. You get a pistol and a machinegun, some missile weapons that aren't different enough to justify having so many, and some magic weapons. The God Mode powerup is neat, yes, but Dog Mode isn't as funny the second, third, or 40th time. Shrooms and elastic mode are headache inducing. There's barely any enemy variety, health pickups are kind of dumb, and you don't collect ammo so that sensation of finding a secret stash of goodies is gone. I'm halfway through the second episode and I'm still finding pistol and machinegun pickups as if I didn't get those on the first level, although I'm guessing that's for pistol starts or something.

The levels are just...what the gently caress are these places? Why are the walls so godamn high? Everywhere looks the same. I can't even tell what they're going for atmosphere wise. Yeah it's goofy and over the top, but then you get these dark levels with really serious, Doom-esque music tracks. Is it supposed to be grim or something? Look I'm sure id sacking Tom Hall was pretty poo poo of them, but if this was the apex of his creative endeavor...I dunno man.

Anachronox was neat though. Neat.

There are some cool ideas. I like cutting out of the nets fired by the officer dudes. I lied that's the only idea I like.
No, I think you get it just fine. It's a mediocre game with an embarrassingly outdated-for-the-time engine that tries to hide its deficiencies with 101 gimmicks. I thought the Doom mod Return of the Triad was better than the real thing.

I know it started out as Wolf 3D II before they lost the license or whatever, but I really hope that also caused it to be heavily delayed because a souped-up Wolf 3D engine was pretty lame in 1995.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
For some reason I own KISS: Psycho Circus. Did it get good reviews at the time? All I remember is a mess of super dingy faded colors and gray, lots of gray. One dude had a whip, right? The memory is like of a dull headache. I don't remember any part of that game bringing me joy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

laserghost posted:

Yup. It looks kinda goofy in-game, but works as a "something completely different from id's own creation". Can't find it anywhere, but I remember the 0.5 or 0.6 version had very absolutely terrible pinky, sort of bipedal mouth thing.
Heh, I think that was an unfinished sprite from Scuba Steve's Ghostbusters Doom. Sort of a pink walking slimer, but the animation of the arms was really stiff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
They were based in Dallas. It was probably just the first best subway map they found in an image search.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

nexus6 posted:

Where's a good place to start learning to make Doom mods/maps?
You could do a lot worse than checking out the old editing tutorials on Doomworld. Browsing through those should give you a grasp of what a Doom level is composed of. The Doom Wiki is also a good resource.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

site posted:

Unrelated, but has anyone with a win7 machine had any trouble getting Tron 2.0 to play? I installed my old copy, but as soon as the intro movie plays the drat thing locks up no matter what compatibility/administrator settings I have on. Honestly I'm not even sure what the problem is because I have other q3 engine games running just fine.
It's Lithtech son

From googling around a bit there appears to be a fan patch floating out there that will add widescreen support and presumably work on modern machines.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

That's not nearly the most interesting thing in the Blood alpha. The emails grousing about how :spergin: Ken Silverman is and the plan on how to get the gently caress out of their business relationship with 3DR are. Give 'em a look!
Oh Ken. It certainly helps to explain the insane bugs in that engine. I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to have your job dependent on the pet project of some weirdo kid.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Doesn't Bioshock 2 at least have a part where you go underwater? That was one of my biggest disappointments about the first game. They show you that whale swimming by early on and there's the initial cracking walkway but after that the game might as well have taken place on a moon base (the occasional ankle-deep water didn't really effect much). I was hoping to see more areas filling up with water, traverse through some completely flooded areas, wander through some weird underwater flora, and fight sharks or something.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

toasterwarrior posted:

It plays like a deathmatch round.
Has there ever been a single-player game that did this? IE, have an enemy that is basically a deathmatch bot that can run out of ammo, pick up powerups, etc. I could see it not working that well with only having one life but you could probably tweak the health/damage to make it sane.

I seem to remember that the original idea for Prey was like this, except I don't think it was supposed to have normal grunt enemies. So sorta a FPS Shadow of the Colossus without the Colossal part I guess.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just curious, did you know about this?

http://xlengine.com/
That engine is a cruel tease. Last I heard someone was trying to contact the author to get the source released so DarkXL could be freed from its eternal half-finished limbo but I'm not holding my breath.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Has there been a post about CyberMage: Darklight Awakening somewhere in this thread? I drooled at the screenshots of it in the PC Gamer review but my 486 wasn't hot enough to play it. Occasionally I still remember that the game exists and wonder about What Could Have Been. There seems to be some YT videos but it doesn't look all that amazing (reminds me of Marathon with those large, poorly animated sprites).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SavageMessiah posted:

I think I posted a description many many pages ago (or possibly the last old fps thread) that never made it to the OP, probably because I am terrible at writing things. I have it, cd, comic book and all. It's a pretty cool game, I played through it a few years ago and found that it held up pretty well. I didn't beat it because the difficulty of the last level combined with the goofy controls made it un-fun.
Is it a big enough write up that it's worth it to dig up a link? :)

I'll probably never play it since I won't have nostalgia to smooth over the rough parts and 1995 controls. I'm kinda curious about the game though; does it have any neat tricks or ideas that haven't been done in a Doom mod somewhere? From what I remember the PC Gamer review talked about a cool battlefield level shrouded in fog but I didn't see a video of anything like that on YouTube.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This is a long shot... I was looking through my old PC Gamer mags trying find the review of CyberMage when I saw an intriguing blurb about an upcoming game. This is the entirety of the description:

quote:

Creation
Take the incredible graphics engine of Magic Carpet and plunge it underwater, and you'll get a pretty good idea of how Electronic Arts' Creation will look. You'll experience the hazards and spectacular beauty of the world's oceans from the controls of a high-tech mini-sub as you deal with an alien threat.

While we don't expect to see any turban-wearing wizards in this one, we expect to see lots of action on our company network when Creation comes out; like Magic Carpet, it will support up to eight players over a network or modem.
ETA: Late Spring '95

The screenshot is pretty murky but I think that's a ray swimming around some underwater canyon.

This was from the March 1995 issue so it would seem it was almost done but I can't find any reference of it online. Does anybody know if it was released at all?

EDIT: Turns out I just needed to read the next issue I had. This was a Bullfrog game (of course) that was cancelled in 1997(!) so I guess it wasn't working very well. I found the worthless 1995 trailer for it as well as a French video showing some snippets of gameplay.

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 5, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ookiimarukochan posted:

A guy I was with school at did his work experience (2 weeks) at Bullfrog, and this was the upcoming game he was most excited about, so it's a real shame it was cancelled.
That sounds cool! Did he describe what the game was like at all? From the gameplay video it looked like the sub was attacking underwater tanks (?). I wonder if you could modify the terrain real-time like Magic Carpet...

Also, RIP Bullfrog. They might not have consistently made the best games, but they were by far the coolest games of their era.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The level sizes in Undying are also very unfortunate. They chopped up the levels into annoyingly small chunks to fit on consoles of the time, but the console port never happened.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It doesn't bounce so I don't think the flak cannon counts as a grenade launcher. The eightball is fun when you actually hit one of those slippery bastard Unreal enemies with a full set of grenades, though. I don't think it's the greatest grenade launcher since the reload time is kinda annoying though and most of the Unreal bestiary is too drat good at jumping out of the way for it to be very satisfying.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tippis posted:

WASD origins
For me it came from playing System Shock. Mouse + keyboard was mandatory (I think the keyboard was technically optional if you were a masochist) but it didn't work like a modern FPS - the mouse was a cursor, so you could shoot anywhere onscreen without changing your direction. I don't think it had re-mappable controls so you were stuck with the keyboard layout, which used WASD as the normal arrow keys and Q/E as strafe. Which is why I still use QWES instead of WASD in modern FPS games :classiclol:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
what is this filth

This is the real version; get that PS2 garbage outta here :c00lbert:

Also nobody linked to Yahtzee's song?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Aw, I liked the emulated version better. DDDAAAAMMMNNN IIIIIMMMM GGGGGGOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm pretty sure Doom Legacy still supports split screen. On the other hand, that engine has been mostly a buggy slurry of gimmick features since it still ran on DOS.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Iikka made Doom levels too!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
7 different New Graphics! Wow! Half of them appear to be Barney judging by the cover. Truly a Good Great CD-Disc!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Doesn't Blood have some bug where the difficulty level gets maxed out whenever you save/load or was that another game?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Severed posted:

I poked around the videos a bit and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvvIut19uA

You know, I'm a bigger Doom dork than most, but even this made me blush. Still pretty awesome though.
:laffo:
The fact that it's 50 minutes long is the most embarrassing part.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Heavy Metal posted:

General question if it goes in here, any recommendations for a really good fast-paced classic 90s or early 2000s shooter I may have missed? Especially with good level design pre-Serious Sam/Painkiller open kill fields style? (Though I like that too). I've played most I think, at least most of the notable ones, just throwing this out there. Jedi Knight, the first one, I had somehow missed that until a few years ago for example. Shot in the dark here I know.
Well it's hard to know what you've played, but I'll try. AvP is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that had a playable character significantly faster than Doomguy. As far as more obscure stuff... Riddick? Tron 2.0? Shogo?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks. I've been meaning to play Riddick, have that on GoG. I do dig Shogo, have never played AvP other than a demo I think. Is the first one by Rebellion the best single-player wise? I actually dig their game Dredd vs Death so hey, AvP could be a fun one to try.

By fast paced it doesn't have to have a really high movement speed, I guess just levels that feel fast-paced if that makes sense.
No, AvP 2 is far and away the more polished game, but as far as I know it's not available anywhere. AvP has its own charm. The levels are a grab-bag of memorable locations from the film pieced together with a really bare story. It has a slight arcade feel with the way you have to unlock levels. You can even spook out the human enemies by smashing all the lights.

I'm playing through the game now but got sidetracked with something else after finishing the Alien campaign.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

khwarezm posted:

So I've been playing unreal gold, and the enemies and weapons are interesting, but Jesus Christ this game has a really bad case of 'lovely Water level' syndrome.
Are you talking about Chizra Nali Water God? Because you better not be talking about Chizra Nali Water God :colbert:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

closeted republican posted:

Chizra sucks when you first play though it, but it becomes one of your favorites in a replay.
See? See?! This guy gets it!

Trivial issues like "fun" or "gameplay" (:jerkbag:) aside, that level gets a free pass from me forever because when I played it back in '98 on my Voodoo2 I thought it was the most beautiful level ever created (I plead the 5th on my thoughts of replaying it for the first time in 13 years a few months ago). The mysterious jungle temple theme is still the coolest one in the game and always reminds me of Indiana Jones & Tintin. The only other theme I liked nearly as much was the floating islands. Either one is much better than slogging through the half-dozen gargantuan spaceships in the game.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shadow Hog posted:

Chizra does pretty much have the best music in the game, gonna agree with that.

I recall kinda liking the level as well, but it's been a while.
I meant theme as in the textures/architecture but the music is pretty cool too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SparkTR posted:

Did Chasm The Rift ever get noticed for its dismemberment system back in the day? I've been playing it a bit and not only is it visual pretty awesome when an enemy pops after a shotgun blast, but it has gameplay implications as well. For example you can aim your shot to take off a soldiers weapon arm, essentially removing them as a threat while you shoot at other guys. I mean, I know tech moved faster back then but coming out only a year after Quake I feel it did some interesting stuff there.
Was it actually that fancy? I remember it being fairly crude, as in a character losing their arm just replaced the character model with an armless version. I thought only a handful of enemies supported it. I definitely don't remember it being dynamic like in Soldier of Fortune.

But no, I'm pretty sure nobody took notice of Chasm for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I played through Doom 2 for the first time in a decade or so using this newfangled Brutal Doom thing that I had never bothered with before.

Somebody found these books in a library discard pile and gave them to me because they knew I was a big Doom fan:

The strategy guide actually came in handy! It's far easier to look up a map in there than browsing doomwiki.org on a phone trying to find where the %*$# that switch is. One level I got stuck in because I had thrown a grenade into a room and coated it with blood, completely hiding a switch. BRUTAL

Overall the book is about as bad as you would expect. The multiplayer guide looks like he grabbed a marine training manual and copy-pasted some BS in there without ever play testing it.

(click for readable)
Yeah, sure, "echelon right." Nobody in the history of mankind has ever played coop Doom like that.

There's also a Romero interview in the back, but nothing too interesting. Some hype for Quake which was still in the Hammertime phase. Mr Ed Dille seemed to refer to Romero as the coding genius of id which was a bit odd but I'm sure he didn't go out of his way to correct him.

The Doom book seems to have slightly more effort behind it since it includes screenshots in the level descriptions instead of just an annotated map and wall'o'text description. It even includes E4!

As for the game, Doom 2 was less tedious than I remember, although some of those bullshit traps become bullshit cubed with Brutal Doom. FU Sandy for that stupid rocket launcher trap in Map 9: The Pit.

I thought Brutal Doom was goofy but amusing. I feel like there's probably features I'm missing but whatever.