Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The 2012 iMac must be ordered with the VESA option. The older mount kits do not work. If you did not choose the VESA BTO option when purchasing you're boned.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5619

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can plug the no display one into an external monitor and find out if its a logic board or display issue.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Selklubber posted:

The fun you can have with two webcams:

edit:

I'll try the new one and see if I find anything doing this.

Or if you go back to your Mac and then back again

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm always so fascinated by how out of whack computer repair prices are. A 1TB hard drive is $226 but the hour or two to rip the entire thing apart is a measly $39.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

A bit of a tangent, but is Apple required by law to extend these warranties when the parts are disfunctional? I never see any other tech company issuing these kinds of extended warranties. The only other industry where you hear about massive recalls is the auto industry. Maybe other computer companies do it but you only hear about apple because they're so high profile...

You usually don't see them because service alerts are issued to the service and repair centers, not the customers. They want the techs to be on the lookout for any possible known issues but don't want to prompt customers to bring in otherwise working products for pre-emotive replacements.

Only in really huge issues where safety is an issue or a class action ends up being filed is where you hear of most of these problems.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also not everyone cares.

Quick question, I just picked up a used rMBP from Amazon Warehouse. What tests should I run on it to make sure everything looks good?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Only us dummies stuck with the 09 C2D machines have limited upgrade options :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flavor posted:

I'm going to the Genius Bar later today because any disk access to the internal hard disk on my 2009 iMac has recently become painfully slow (and now as I'm writing this even becoming unresponsive when I click on the docked folders for apps and docs), and its AppleCare will run out on the 14th. My question regarding the hard disk is whether there's anything I've missed that may fix the slowness. I have done the following:

Checked the disk and repaired permissions with the Disk Utility,
Checked SMART errors with a utility whose name escapes me right now (none reported),
Reset the PRAM and SMC,
Freed up some space so there's 80 GB free now (I don't believe that should make a difference, but whatever), and of course
Rebooted a few times.

The symptoms are similar to when the (non-Apple) hard disk in my old 13" MBP gave up the ghost, so I'm pretty confident it's that, but if someone else has another idea, I'd be interested.

Do you have one of the defective Seagate drives in there?

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can disable two-finger secondary click independently from single-finger primary click if you want to do that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wafflehound, it might also be worth it to note that the 13" rMBP actually has a smaller footprint than the 13" Air.

I personally feel that the key travel on the rMBP is much better than the Air as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Oh gently caress me, are you serious? I wouldn't be able to afford an iMac and a 13" rMBP though. :negative:

Slightly, yes

The palmrest isn't so quite as large and the screen bezel isn't as tall to accommodate the larger base either.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I saw this posted:

13" rMBP:

All 13" models have 4th generation dual-core Intel i5/i7, integrated GPU (Intel Iris 5100), PCIe flash and 802.11ac.

CPU (GHz)/RAM (GB)/Flash (GB)
2.4 i5-4258U/4/128
2.4 i5-4258U/8/256
2.4 i5-4258U/8/512
2.8 i7-4558U/8/512
2.8 i7-4558U/16/1TB (BTO)

Which scares me - a 4GB model would have to be at least $200 than the current 8GB base model to be attractive, but the real issue is that Retina graphics are such a memory hog that 4GB simply wouldn't be enough. With just Safari running you are running very close to 4GB.

Yeah that doesn't make much sense unless they got some voodoo running to make it work much better under 4gb.

If a 4gb rMBP is announced I'm assuming that means the standard MBP is being phased out then and this is the low cost replacement.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I have a 2012 11inch Air with the 128GB Toshiba SSD and LG display. Never had a single issue with either. Holy poo poo, I finally got lucky with a purchase!

*knocks on wood*

I bought an open box '12 rMBP on Amazon and it had a Samsung SSD and display with zero ghosting issues. I feel like I won the lottery :buddy:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's no swing arm iMac. A terrible museum.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe the HE warranty (3 years of applecare for just hardware) is a special case that isn't being displayed by that page or something?

The alternative is of course that the warranty was never applied :argh:

What is an "HE warranty"? Is that a store or something? If so then yes, the warranty is through the store and not through apple so it won't show up on apples site at all. You can't get is serviced by apple past the first year.

EDIT: I guess it's a UK specific thing, never mind.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 27, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Super Dude posted:

I guess my question really should have been whether or not Xcode is a memory hog. I've done enough android dev to estimate what I'll need for that.

Oh, one more question. I know that the ram on the new MPB isn't user upgradeable, but will Apple do it down the line for a fee?

The ram is soldered to the logic board, it's not possible to upgrade at all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has a 2-day sale going on right now.
All Macbook Airs are $100 off.
13" MBP (non-retina) 8gb version is $250 off.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I believe Brother is the go-to brand for personal laser printers. They even have a handy Mavericks support chart on their site.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/os/macintosh.html

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a heads up that Best Buy has this stuff on sale during Black Friday
  • Macbook Pro Retina 4GB $200 off
  • All 15" rMBP $150 off
  • All Macbook Airs $150 off
  • iMac 21.5 $200 off

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 12, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Civil posted:

That's pretty nice. I was under the assumption that Apple was able to price fix at the retailer level so you'd get the same price no matter where you bought.

I guess not?

I think Apple loosened those restrictions a few years ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Does it stack with a student discount?

It doesn't say either way but usually Black Friday is a very restrictive day regarding coupons and discounts.

Here's their ad: http://blackfriday.bestbuy.com

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

camoseven posted:

How cold can an rMBP get before bad things happen? I commute by bus so it spends a lot of time in my bag in the cold, and it's freezing when I get it out at work. I feel pretty dumb for asking this, but I've never had a laptop before.

From their tech specs page.
"Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: –13° to 113° F (–25° to 45° C)"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This is only the older versions of the Macbook Pros right?

Nope, all new models.

The $200 is off the newly released Haswell 13" entry level model
The $150 off 15" includes all models, even new Haswell ones as well.

http://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/#!/doorbusters

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yellowjournalism posted:

This is an Apple Store question that I couldn't find a straight answer for online. If I open the packaging on an apple accessory can I still return it? I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter and just want to try it out. I have to rip the packaging apart to open it up. Will I incur a restocking fee or anything when I try to return it to the store?

There are no restocking fees.

Also why do you have to rip open the packaging? can't you just carefully open it? Are you Bruce Banner IRL?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Microcenter in your area, they're running a few Black Friday specials this weekend, Fri-Mon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tweezers

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Yeah. This laptop (13-inch MBPr) is pretty great.

I use Gmail, though, and Apple Mail seems like not the best option for Gmail. It puts Promotions in my Inbox, for instance. What do you guys do about mail?

I like Airmail, you should try Airmail.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

1024x768 posted:

I ended up buying a late 2013 13" Retina MBP about a month ago for $1940 with the 2 years of Applecare. I realized I want the 15". I probably should have thought more about it during the 2 weeks I had to return it. Unfortunately it has a 0.5 cm nick (top left edge in the picture) on the edge of the aluminum casing near the hinge I picked up while opening it in front of a book case. Obviously I am out of luck in terms of returning it to the store.

EDIT: It looks like they do have an extended return policy (Until Jan. 7, 2014) for items purchased after November 1st. Any chance I can exchange it with the nick?

If I were to sell it privately, how much would this affect the value if I were to sell it privately? Or is there any chance I could trade it in to Apple and pay the extra $500 or whatever for a 15"? eBay and Craigslist do not have any similar models for sale.

As for hardware specifics, it is this model.

No one here can tell you if a store will return it or not because we're not the store. That's up to their discretion.

That being said the store will most likely not even notice the nick or won't care because the case will be swapped when they send it back to get refurbished.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Animal posted:

Yeah I bought it from a local Apple store. But something tells me replacing a $2,600 laptop wont be so simple.

This is my first Mac, and Apples first chance to earn my customer loyalty. I understand that high tech hardware is prone to duds. From experience with hardware, I suspect bad ram, and its soldered into the main board on these models. Or the motherboard itself. poo poo happens.

Be that as it may, I want it replaced. Its less than two months old. Sending it in for days for tech support will be a huge inconvenience, as I travel constantly and it would leave me with nothing. I would probably have to buy another laptop for use while its away. It would be hilariously ironic to have to buy a Windows PC to temporarily replace a new Mac which I bought for their renowned stability.

Then go into a drat Apple store. You're complaining about not "earning your customer loyalty" when you haven't even talked to them. Instead you're talking about scenarios you think will happen.

Go to the Apple store. Tell them you want it swapped or whatever and can't wait for troubleshooting steps. If they refuse, then you can bitch and moan.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The best part of that review

quote:

Jostle the new Mac Pro just a little bit and all the labels on its rectangular battery of ports (four USB 3, six Thunderbolt 2, two Gigabit ethernet, one HDMI, and audio in and out) light up. There’s an accelerometer that senses that you’re moving the computer and lights the ports up temporarily, so it’s easier to read the labels and see where the ports are.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Splinter posted:

Also, has anyone had this happen to them? If so, what caused it and what had to be done to get it fixed?

Usually bad video cable or LCD panel.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rexim posted:

I really wanted 8gb of memory in my MBA because everyone says I should get that. However Amazon only had 4gb models so I ordered one of those. Am I really going to regret that? I'm really only going to use it for browsing the web and watching videos.

Don't ask me why I insist on ordering from amazon and not apple; I don't have a rational reason.

8gb is a BTO option.

4gb should be fine, especially with the super-fast SSD now so even if it has to page data, it should be very quick paging.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- Aside from 1Password (which holy poo poo does it integrate really loving well on a Mac), is there anything essential I need to get as someone who's never had a Mac before?

Alfred

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Barfoid 3 posted:

ya its really feasible for me to let them take away my computer for 7 weeks or whatever. applecare is a joke.

Applecare doesn't magically make your computer not fail, it makes it so it can be fixed when it fails.

Which you are apparently refusing to do.

Just keep making out with your broken laptop and refuse to let them fix anything I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anker seems to be really branching out with reliable Mac products now. They make some wonderful iPhone accessories and I think they've got some solid products.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sometimes you can use a dremel and make a slot for a flathead screwdriver. Depends on the size and how steady your hand is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pivo posted:

I got the 802.11ac Time Capsule (for full price, ouch) but it's honestly the best. I just wish there was a way to log into its firmware from a command line and get more accurate info than Option-Clicking the 'Edit' button from Airport Utility gives you. Like for example good luck getting the DHCP server IP out of it, it'll only tell you what gateway you're connected to. Or I'd like to be able to ping/traceroute directly from it. I know that's not Apple's thing, but it doesn't have to be user-facing front and centre, just available... I wonder how they debug the drat thing themselves.

I think the old Apple 5.6 Airport Utility did that. I'm not sure if it will connect to the new AC routers and you'll need to do some workarounds to get it to work under Mavericks but it's worth a shot.

http://coreyjmahler.com/2013/10/24/airport-utility-5-6-1-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sure would be nice if they'd drop the price more considering the glacial pace at which the hardware is improving.

They just dropped the price of the retina $200 with the October release. Their portables are constantly dropping in price every couple years.

EDIT: It's even the title of the thread!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 18, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy is doing their Apple Promos again. $150 off any Macbook or iMac with a valid .edu email address, including new and 2013 Macbook Airs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global/...JZwPmntzbPuJhzw

This bring the current 13" MBA down to $850 and the previous gen 11" down to $650.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goon posted:

I'm going to be taking a look at a 2013 $900 rMBP 13" tomorrow, 8gigs, 128gig. I'm totally new to macs. I think that's a pretty good price, but it might also be too good of a price. Beyond going, yup, that's a computer, is there anything I should look out for when inspecting it?

Is that a late 2013 rMBP? I think the 8gb/128gb config only came out with Haswell, 2012 and Early 2013 were 8gb/256gb only and up.