Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rapsey posted:

If you have problems let me know. I'm one of the developers.

Is there a way to make the application (server side) less resource hungry? I have a e4300 c2d on my server and it maxxes out the CPU and the video skips on my phone over wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What is the latest hotness for syncing shopping and to lists? Needs to have a web front end, android and iphone client. I was using Out of Milk but it looks like the iphone version is in beta, and I need something really solid and easy to use.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My wife and I use Our Groceries which is obviously shopping-centric. What I've been trying out for cross-platform (OSX, Windows, Android, iOS) to-do list sharing is Wunderlist. What I like most about Wunderlist is that it uses clients (no reason to sully OSX with something ugly) instead of a web front end though so it might now be ideal for you.

Clients are fine I guess. This is for my parents so the google drive thing is probably out because it needs to be stupidly easy.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Anyone here use Llama? I tried to set it to activate Airplane mode at night to save battery but it just doesn't do that. I'm on a Nexus 4 and barely get through a workday with a full charge so I'm trying to save some battery that way.

If you can swing it just get a Qi charger, I don't know how I lived without one before. Yes, I am that lazy.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mr Owl posted:

Any recommendations for a good budget manager? I'm doing a ski season in France so am trying to be extremely cheap and figure that having some way of keeping track of my income and outcome would really help that!

YNAB? Kind of pricy especially since you need to pay for the mobile app, but it pays for itself really. Extremely cheap maybe Mint?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Carbon from koush is out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&rdid=com.koushikdutta.backup&rdot=1&feature=md

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Chrome also updated and now syncs passwords as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Athenry posted:

The all access stuff is pretty neat too

Agreed, I was on the fence about getting a spotify sub but I signed up the trial without hesitating.

I just wish they could incorporate Podcasts so I could get rid of pocket casts.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am confused about the new SMS integration in hangouts. It seems to work OK from my phone, but I still get SMS coming into google voice and not hangouts.

Is there any way to SMS from the google chrome hangouts app?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No. SMS in Hangouts is still a local service.

This sucks, since I like to use google voice in my browser. Have they said if they are going to add this?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The Voice team has gone on record to say that Voice integration into Hangouts is a 100% thing. No timeline though.

Yeah I remember that from way back, ugh. Thanks though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Profiles finally got added to the Netflix app.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How do I close all tabs in chrome on my nexus 7?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks everyone! The battery life is ok, it's got worse now that I'm travelling

Get an external battery pack from monoprice for $20 or whatever

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Avia works really well, I think it was 3.99 for the full feature version with Chromecast support. Downside is videos have a hard time running it seems. A lot of buffering. I don't know if that's an app problem or a Chromecast thing.

That doesn't sound like it works well at all.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Manky posted:

Sure it does, you just have to save the mysterious Google Voice forwarding number each contact gets and text that instead.

ninja edit: I'm pretty sure, haven't heard differently from any correspondents.

How do I find the forwarding number?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Manky posted:

Text the person's real number from the Google voice app or website. When they reply, if you have messaging/hangouts specified in your preferences, you'll see the forwarding number pop up. Like this.

Which specific preference setting is this?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a decent guide to Tasker? I bought it with my Rewards credits and I can't for the life of me figure out how to set it to disable my pin when I connect to my home wifi and re-enable it when I disconnect. I'd been using Llama for it, but it's been buggy lately and not re-enabling the pin when I leave.

Tasker has it's own thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383343

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is Llama the best location/action app out there? I use it to silence my phone at work, and to give me quiet hours. I know there is Tasker but I want something simpler.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

IFTTT can do some of that device specific stuff with location.

Hmm - can it do quiet hours or is there another app I can use for that?

Nevermind - I found a recipe on their website. Wow, this app rules.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 2, 2014

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty neat app. Very easy to use but the huge boulder of salt is that it isn't as powerful as Tasker/Llama.

It's really geared towards social media.

Yeah, but it looks like at least for what I was using Llama for it works for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

I'll be traveling this weekend and I'm trying to determine the most painless way of syncing movies/TV shows to my Nexus 7 (2013). I use the Plex Media Server app to stream to my Xbox and I've used the Android app as well. Anyone here have a Plex Pass subscription and would you recommend it?

I'm thinking I'll just get the $3.99 sub for one month so I can sync videos to the tablet. I'm open to any opinions or other recommendations on this. the reason I'm considering this is because in the past I've attempted to sync media files and have the proper playback apps, but there is ALWAYS some loving file that won't play due to encoding or filetype. I haven't had any trouble with Plex yet.

Plex is awesome. I don't think it has a free month of plexpass, but you can always just get a free month, see if you like it, then upgrade and they will just have you pay the difference.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are you new to using google stuff? This is what they do. The google voice app has been terrible for a super long time now. I have to click "play" in the GV app at least 2-5 times to get the audio to actually play.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dissss posted:

Chrome on Android finally had an undo close tab action - it may seem like a small feature but it's one I've often wanted.

Can you close all tabs on tablets yet?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Best app at the moment for rewards cards?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Built in camera app?

Negative I would prefer an app. From a quick search any opinions on Stocard or Key ring?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can you not just scan directly to google drive?

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/3145835?hl=en

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex would probably work.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

api call girl posted:

There's no way to quickly differentiate on a per-hangout basis, but you can go into Hangout's SMS settings, and there's a "send SMS from" option you can configure. Default is "smart reply" which is the behavior you're seeing. Instead you can configure it to send all messages from either your carrier number or your google voice number.

It definitely needs to be more front and center and be toggled per hangout, I agree.

Thanks for this. I honestly cannot believe they merged it, fuckin a that was a long time to wait.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kri kri posted:

Thanks for this. I honestly cannot believe they merged it, fuckin a that was a long time to wait.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/6023920?p=voice_sms&rd=1

"You can send text messages with your Google Voice account through Hangouts in Gmail and on Android devices."

It looks like it also works in the hangouts chrome extension. I now have a SMS option on the top bar.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hangouts in Gmail or the Chrome Hangouts extension is how you do Google Voice SMS after you are merged.

Do I need these weird routing numbers I had to add the contacts to get hangouts SMS working before this merger?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Another hangouts question! My friend has contact groups in gmail, how would he group SMS an entire group without typing in each persons info?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Switch to nine if you can.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

air- posted:

I'll try and add a little more detail, and get some screenshots when I have more time:

Click on magnifying glass: the text box should say "Search for people" and then there's a phone icon to the right of the text box
Click on phone icon: the text box should say "Name, phone number" and I have a US flag to the left of the text box. This is where you type in who you want to SMS.

Thanks for this, I kept thinking that icon was for making phone calls. How silly of me...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Click on the little phone icon.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I thought the same thing about photos, but I just got the 125gb plan and don't really ever have to worry about it. I think its about $2.50 per month too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It used to ring twice for me until I turned off ringing in hangouts.

Therm do you have all calls using google voice enabled? Can't say that's ever happened to be but I have every call route through google voice.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are you using the music manager or the website? Use the website if you aren't. If you are, not sure sorry.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hangouts updated, apk posted already.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12/10/google-hangouts-update-adds-confirmed-numbers-video-filters-contextual-tools-and-stickers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

gariig posted:

What is the best video player to use with a Nexus 9 playing files on a USB drive through an OTG cable? Something that can playback MKV files.

MXplayer

• Locked thread