Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Loaded the 4.2 update on my N7 this morning. So far so good. I love the idea of the multiple users, since my kids like to play with my N7 and keep loving up my save games.

If the multi-user thing works well, I'm going to really push the wife toward an N10 rather than another iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

spacegoat posted:

So how long until we can expect the Nexus 10 to be available on places like Amazon or Newegg?

Amazon will likely be on the 31st of never since they have their own 7" and 9" tablets.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

What? They sell Nexus 7s and all styles of iPad and other Android tablets. Why would they not sell the Nexus 10 ever?

Ha, what do you know. For a long time I looked for N7 on Amazon and all I could find was cases, never any actual units.

I stand corrected.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

And people wonder why Android tablets have a bad name.

Because people poo poo on things loudly when they have a single issue without checking to see if it's a widespread problem?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Swype charges now? Really?

They charge OEMs, who are the only ones with access to the "full" product. You can join the beta program at any time and get a more updated version for free.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Yup it seems 4.2 is pretty poo poo on everything except the N4, I don't think there is an easy way to decline the update for more than a couple hours. Too bad Google let 4.2 get out when everyone is doing reviews of the N7/N10 because it seems really bad (laggy, and crashing) compared to 4.1.2 at least on the N7 and Galaxy Nexus.

It seems to me that the upgrade process was part of the issue. When I did the upgrade on mine from 4.1.2 to 4.2, I was having all kinds of problems (hot restarts, apps not saving state/settings, etc).

After a while of loving around with it, I flashed the full release version of 4.2 and everything has been running smoothly ever since.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

When I upgraded my N7 from 4.1.2 to 4.2, I had all kinds of problems.

When I did a clean flash to 4.2, everything was great, and the 4.2.1 update caused me no issues.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If the issue is something like the screws being too long and exerting force on the back-side of the screen (I'm not sure if that's it, but it makes sense considering the resolution), I suppose you could grind off a little bit of the screws (not sure how long they are) and see if that helps.

Otherwise, I imagine that having the components torqued down as originally designed is causing something to flex, which in turn is exerting pressure on the back of the screen. That would be less easy to fix.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Blame carrier warranty service and insurance.

People are so used to getting the "Delete everything, factory reset, reboot it, call us next time it happens" cycle, that they're conditioned against recognizing an actual hardware fault.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So far so good on my WiFi N7.

It feels snappier, but that could be more due to the fresh Dalvik rebuild than anything else. I'll have to poke around for a few days and see how she runs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Something is weird there. I haven't had a problem yet getting MTP and ADB to work simultaneously with my N7. I wouldn't even hazard that it's a difference between WiFI and 3G models because that function is so far removed from the USB connection.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I had to add an extra device string to the .inf in the Asus driver to get my laptop to recognize my N7 in recovery ADB mode.

So yeah...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Not sure if it is a case of 'emperors new clothes', but my Nexus 7 sure does feel snappier after the update to 4.2.2,for what it's worth.

I noticed that as well. Giving it a few more days for the Dalvik cache to get shitted up some more before ruling that it's actually faster for me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

juche mane posted:

None whatsoever.

Can you plug it in via USB and access it via ADB? Depending on the actual manufacturer of the board/SoC, it could use a relatively generic driver. Then you could do 'adb reboot recovery', where you can wipe it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I still need to get a case for mine, I've been playing with fire by carrying it around a university campus in just a backpack. If nothing else I can confirm how durable and well designed these things are. There are no scratches on the screen either.

Mine's been running unprotected since October with nary a scratch or dent. It's a pretty well-built piece of equipment, for sure. In fairness, I'm also a bit more careful with it since it's rather heavy, so I know when it's shifting around or not set correctly in my back pocket.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

This is what I suspected. Thanks! :D

Would there be any difference on an N10 purchased from Staples vs purchased from Google? As in coming pre-installed with a bunch of garbage apps that I'd spend time deleting? I'm all pumped up to buy one tomorrow, but if a device purchased from Google would come with a cleaner install, I'll go that route, despite being impatient.

It's a Nexus, and it's not distributed by a carrier (who are the ones that like to load shitware). There should be no difference between the builds you would get from either (aside from the Staples one potentially being back-level if it shipped right before an update went out).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm looking at the Nook HD+ as a replacement for my fist gen iPad. Pretty much all I do with the iPad is read comics (cbz, cbr), PDFs and ebooks. Obviously the fact that B&N opened up the Play store to the device is a huge advantage, but how is the UI on the Nook HD+? I have read that it is laggy, but I've also read that it's fine - I'm not sure which to believe. Would I be better off rooting from an SD card to get better performance? I image that all I'd do different from the iPad is occasionally stream from Amazon Prime or play some Android games. Also, is the battery life comparable to the iPad in any way, shape, or form?

Since you'd have play store access, you can load any launcher you want from there if the stock Nook launcher sucks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Your first-gen iPad has a terrible pixel density, and that's probably the problem. A tablet with 250+PPI will be much nicer to read on.

This. People seem to forget that the 1st-gen iPad is only a 1024x768 screen, terribly lovely for reading now matter how much Apple pimped iBooks at launch.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ugh... Yeah. The iPhone 4 announcement was probably my least-favorite WWDC keynote, because I knew that all high-pixel-density displays would henceforth be compared to Retina. "It's retina-like resolution", "It's nice, but it's definitely not retina", and so on.

Apple definitely has the marketing keyword segment nailed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Amazon Prime videos

Even then I don't think it's possible with anything other than a stock Kindle Fire. That functionality is built into the framework of their build, not just a couple of apks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

You might be correct, but I have read in numerous places that it is possible if you install the Flash .apk and watch through the browser. Obviously, I'll have to confirm this in practice.

Browser, yes if you can get flash working, which becomes more difficult as time goes on. I'd love to see them convert to HTML5.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Dietrich posted:

Me: My screen is getting corruption issues when rendering 3d scenes.
Samsung: Have you installed any apps?
Me: uhm, yeah?
Samsung: The apps are causing the screen corruption issue.
Samsung: Remove all of them.

:bang:

Verizon tried to pull that poo poo on me the last time I called them about my FIL's GNex. When they said we should run it in safe mode for a while is when I snapped and now he has a RAZR.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

16:10 is nature's own aspect ratio and it's the best for everything. Microsoft didn't get the memo, which is why they're the only ones making "premium" 16:9 tablets.

Still better than Apple's insistence on sticking with 4:3. 16:10 > 16:9 > 4:3

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

First post on this page says Yes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

nmfree posted:

People still wear those? They were the trendy thing to have when I was in high school 20 years ago.

I thought those were later than that. I remember Skidz, though (class of 93).

Either way, my N7 (and previously my gen 1 Kindle Fire) fits just fine in my normal jeans back pocket.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

fondue posted:

This is a plausible scenario considering the vendor.

The international Note 8" already has functional phone hardware and an earpiece.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Tunga posted:

Note that holding the power button for ~15 seconds is a hardware-level command to reset a device which doesn't have a battery that you can pull out. A lot of devices with removable batteries don't bother to include such a thing since it isn't really needed. I'm not certain if the GNex did, I feel like it didn't but I could be wrong.

It's been a long time since I've run up against a device that didn't have this function, regardless of the battery type.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I thought I'd share my experience with the 2012 Nexus 7 lag problem.

I'd had mine for a while, it got super slow and the 4.3 update didn't seem to fix it, so I rooted it and used that lagfix app from the Play store. It's now back to its original speed again.

Has anyone else done this and had similar results?

It's pretty well documented. Basically, 4.2 and down dont support TRIM properly, so the eMMC will slow down as previously unwritten sectors become harder to find.

TRIM tells the storage controller to erase any previously deleted sectors when the disk isn't actively in use, dramatically reducing write times, as there won't be erase operations at a large number of sectors.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

No, what I'm saying is that 4.3 Didn't fix my lag and it was only rooting/manually trimming using lagfix that did.
It may have just been the factory reset that did it though, so I wanted to see if anyone had had any comparable experiences .

I gotcha. I think I read that people with well-used 4.2 devices still needed to run it, as 4.3 didn't do a full trim pass on first boot. Going to step out of that part of the discussion though, since I can't say with certainty.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Well poo poo.

It would appear that my 2012 N7 has decided to shuffle off this mortal coil. Bootlooped on me (Google logo) on Tuesday morning. Assuming the battery had gone flat, I forced it off through the bootloader menu and let it charge for 36 hours. Absolutely no response to any stimulus whatsoever. Any combination of buttons for times from 15 to 90 seconds yield zero response.

So now I'm debating on its replacement. I was thinking about stepping up to the 9-10" space, but the market is such that I need to wait a bit.

Considering a Note 2(3?) 10.1 for the stylus input (old coworker has a Note 2 10.1 and it's quite nice), but the price:performance ratio is a bit off for my taste.

Considering a Nexus 10, but I'm guessing a new one is launching in the very near future, so I'd want to hold off for either new gear or lower pricing.

I thought about Kindle Fire, but I prefer the stock Android experience and don't want to invest the time/effort loving about to get it that way.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

The 2012 Nexus Wi-Fi reception is complete crap but I've found using Best Wifi Keeper lets me keep a strong enough signal to stream anywhere in my house.

Is the 2013 version any better? I'd upgrade just for better Wi-Fi at this point.

Never had a problem with the WiFi on my 2012 N7. Got just as good of a signal as my phones.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Has anyone had a chance to mess around with the 10.1" Note 3 yet? I'm interested to see how it runs with the Atom, and how it compares to its predecessor.

I'm in a toss-up dilemma on what to do about my dead 2012 N7. I'm managing to make it without a tablet, but I'm not liking it, and I'm going to need to replace it soon.

I'm considering spending ~$80 on an N7 with a busted screen and swapping the guts into my deaded N7 with a perfect screen, then offloading that for a touch of profit to put toward a 10" model of something.

Problem is, there hasn't been a new N10 announcement yet, and I don't want to drop $400 with something (purportedly) coming down the pipe so soon. If I could just get a release announcement about the new N10 it would make my life so much easier, heh.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Suede is for plebs. Has to be beaver felt.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So I gave up waiting for a new N10 announcement because not having a tablet was killing me after my N7 went tits up.

Picked up a Note 10.1" 2014 edition (16GB, since I had a 32GB MicroSD just laying around after replacing my S3 with the X) and I adore it.

Aside from it being the highest-resolution screen in my house (all of our TVs and monitors are 1080p or lower), it's a pretty fantastic device.

I've seen some performance complaints out there, but I haven't had any to speak of, myself so far. It could be due to my switching off of TW launcher in favor of Nova and away from Chrome to FireFox.

Now I just need to find a folio case that looks nice.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I really like the OEM Book cover.

I'll give that a look. I've been too busy loving around with it to bother taking the time to really look yet. I suppose that's a good sign.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Regular USB port spec is 500mA, which generally isn't enough to keep a tablet powered while working AND charge it.

Wall warts run anywhere from 700mA to 3A+.

When the battery shows 0%, there's still some, and the computer is doing just enough to keep it alive. When you disconnect, then the emergency shutdown procedure needs to kick in.

So yes. Everything you're seeing is perfectly normal and expected.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Is there a consensus here about the Galaxy 10.1 2014? I don't mind rooting to hopefully get rid of some of the lag (though there of course should be no lag on a device like that). Thinking it might be better than a laptop if I get a keyboard for it. I love my OG Nexus 7 but having a bigger screen would be great, and the screen is reportedly delicious.

I have one, and I dig it immensely.

The screen is indeed gorgeous.

I swapped out the TouchWiz launcher in favor of Nova and it feels like an aosp tablet most of the time for me. I don't experience anything like lag that I have noticed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Well, I thought it was needed, but apparently it wasn't even a good placebo. Now I'll just use it until it grinds to a halt, and reset it. That should take about a year, which is fair.

If you're running 4.3+, then you won't need to do it. TRIM isn't like Win95 defrag. It's built into the OS and happens automatically.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The more I hear about battery drain on tablets, the more impressed I am with my Note 10.1 2014.

Mine was off the charger from 4pm Friday 'til I fired it up at 8am today, down only 12% and had all notifications that I got over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

International Business Times

They're pretty lovely and will generally rehash and rechurn anything they happen to see go by in the rumor mill. They're pretty much a giant click farm with good SEO so they keep showing up well in search results.

I haven't seen outright conjecture much from them like that, which is interesting.