Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Between this thread, the Mario Kart thread, and this LP, I really need to pick up a Wii U and start getting games. I'm thinking of getting a refurbished system from the Nintendo Online Store and starting with Mario Kart 8 for the free game promotion. I've read that Nintendo has an excellent product quality and customer service so I imagine the refurbished system would be in good shape. Is that a good way to go? I haven't found a better deal for the price, but people have posted about picking stuff up really cheap second-hand.

Also, everyone in the thread has recommended all the great first party Nintendo Games already (is Tropical Freeze really that hard?), but are there any hidden gems for the system? The OP's list seems a bit out of date. I've heard that Zombie U is worth getting, and it looks like there are a good amount of classics I might want to pick up on the eShop.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Sunshine is definitely worth playing, but yeah everyone's right about the blue coins. Though like people have mentioned it's something that could be handled better in an HD remake, but who can say whether Nintendo's going to do that or not?

Sorry to interject, but ordered a refurbished Wii U + Wii Remote Plus thanks to this thread and the Super Mario 3D World LP thread. I understand I'm going to want to pick up a charging cradle from GameStop for $6. I found ZombieU online for $15 (+$5 shipping), which seems like good deal. The best price I can find on a Pro Controller is $40 from Toys R Us, though there are third party ones for less but I think I'd like to get the real one. Has anyone seen a better price for a Pro Controller?

Going to buy Mario Kart 8 (Pikmin 3 for the free game) and 3D World at whatever price local shops have them, unless there's some sale going on I'm not aware of (Target used to have 3D World for $40 but it looks like that's no longer the case).

All and all that's the system, couple of controllers and 5 games for ~$400. Am I making out okay here or are there deals going on I should be looking out for?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

deafmute posted:

From 6/8-6/14 at Target if you buy a preorder card for any of the qualifying games(Destiny, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Skylanders Trap Team, Assassin's Creed Unity, Madden 15, Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U) for $1 you get $15 off any game that is $39.99 or more. Zombi U is cheaper on Amazon as decoy octopus said. There was a time months ago when Best Buy was selling pro controllers for $25 and it was cool but aside from that the current $40 sale is as cheap as I've seen them in a long time. Make sure you buy them from reputable sources(Amazon, Toys R Us, Best Buy, etc) because there are counterfeit Chinese versions that are cheaper but they completely suck. If you want a steering wheel for Mario Kart 8 you get one free if you buy the game at Target(tomorrow is the last day of that deal). If you live near a Toys R Us, Kmart or Walmart you should check to see what they have, some people have found Wonderful 101 for $12(TRU) and other random clearance Wii U deals at stores.

You guys are both awesome! I'll definitely take advantage of the Target preorder deal for Smash Bros. if it's just a straight $15 off MK8 or 3D World. I'll look around this weekend to see if there are any good prices nearby ($12 for Wonderful 101 would be great).

Otherwise, thanks a lot for mentioning the Amazon price decoy octopus! If I can't find them cheaper, I'll probably get ZombieU and Wonderful 101 on Amazon for $37 and Free Shipping.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

It's totally bullshit the US gets such a small selection of games. I'll be going with Wind Waker because it's the only one I'd get any use out of (I own NSMBU, I don't like Pikmin games and wouldn't use the party game often enough). But I'd totally use it on Sonic Lost World if I had that option. It seems fun from the demo but not fun enough that I'd want to spend money on it.

If you're interested in Sonic Lost World and haven't bought Mario Kart 8 yet, you can get $20 off Lost World if you order MK8 from Best Buy online.

I'm going with Pikmin 3. Any reason why you say you don't like the Pikmin games? I've heard pretty much only good things about the third game. In fact I don't think I've heard any really big complaints about the series, though admittedly it is pretty niche.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Comrade Flynn posted:

I think I have a problem. I really wish the goddamn refurb shop would ship my order.

I know how you feel! I paid for overnight shipping Friday morning, checking the status it looks like "Overnight" means "Monday."

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Goons, I grabbed a refurb U and MK8 because of a certain sibling's malevolent gaze. Would I be happier using the free download to get NSMBU, or Pikmin 3, and buying 3D World? It seems like 3D is more beloved than NSMBU. I Will be playing with :siren: my wife :siren: if it matters.

This week you can get 3D World for $15 off at Target (you have to reserve a copy of Smash for $1). I hear that both NSMBU and 3D World are great games, but 3D World really perfects the formula so if you're only getting one or the other than get 3D World.

I'd recommend Pikmin 3 for the free game. It has co-op / multiplayer as well, so it seems like a good choice for a game to play with someone. Make sure you're okay with the Action RTS style gameplay though.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

It's times like these wherein I wish I didn't spend all my money on a Wii U.

Are they any needed accessories? I don't really understand the need for a frontal protector on the gamepad unless you go do adventurous stuff with it. Am I missing something?

Sorry for the double-post, but wanted to thank PaletteSwappedNinja for pointing this deal out! This means on Amazon you can get The Wonderful 101 and ZombieU together for about $31. However, because you get free shipping at $35, it looks like it's cheaper to get $4 more worth of stuff then to pay for shipping. The GamePad Accessory Set with a screen protector is only $1.69. Does anyone know of any extra low cost WiiU stuff it would be good to get, or am I buying 2 or 3 Accessory Sets?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Comrade Flynn posted:

Buying a refurb when you are impatient is the worst goddamn decision I've ever made.

Yeah...

Are you getting MK8? I'm looking at the wiki to kill time - figure I might as well have a plan for what character and kart setup I want to use when I can actually play the drat thing.

This is also a good deal, thanks SeANMcBAY! Seriously considering picking this up, especially for just $20. Actually never played a Rayman game before, though I've heard good things. How does it compare to Tropical Freeze and 3D World?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Cloks posted:

Pre-ordering a game for a dollar gets you 15 off any game.

Following up with this, it's $1 to reserve a game (they hold it for a week) and you get $15 off a game $40 or more. I think there's a limit of 4 preorders per game per person, and you can get he discount once for each one.

noirstronaut posted:

Anyway, I think my next game will be 3D World. Is there a tl;dr of everyone's thoughts on it? I've been watching gameplay of it for a few weeks/months and it doesn't give me any 3D Land vibes (loved 3D Land)

I've heard pretty much only good things about it. There was a LP going on where a lot of people commented on their thoughts about the game, but I apparently can't find it now. They were generally all positive things though.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 9, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Just finished setting up my refurbished Wii U. If anyone's thinking about getting a refurbished one mine was really nice, even the case was fine other than picking up my fingerprints as soon as I touched it (but that goes for anything piano black). Got 2 versions of the Spanish installation instructions but it's so easy to setup that didn't even matter.

The Game Pad is much lighter than I thought it would be - I actually thought I was missing a battery to put in it or something at first. This seems in good shape as well, no marks on the screen or anywhere else. Analog sticks move fine, and I like the solid feel of the D-pad and the buttons.

Also got a refurbished Wii Remote Plus with Nunchuck and again no visible damage or anything (remote came with a sleeve I don't plan on taking off, so it might be scuffed or scratched under that I suppose).

So far so good, going to try to put in Mario Kart 8 and get Pikmin 3 for free.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, i'm back with another question annoy you guys.

I'm torn between Pikmin 3 and WWHD. I've never played Windwaker, not the biggest Zelda fan (don't hate it, just don't appreciate it as much). However, I like games like Pikmin. The calming puzzle-esque games where you can just dick around if you wanted to etc. It seems obvious that I'd pick Pikmin, right? However, every time I raise this question, people say get WW if I've never played it. Then again, last time I threw WW in the ring here, people said avoid it because boats suck.

My download of Pikmin 3 is going right now, but if you haven't played Windwaker and you're going to get both anyway, getting Windwaker first might be a good choice because it's certainly the longer game. I'd say both games are definitely worth playing. Though I haven't played Pikmin 3, the previous games in the series were fun and the gameplay very unique. I don't think there's really any other series like Pikmin out there (the closest game I can think of is Brutal Legend maybe?).

Windwaker is definitely a stand-out Zelda game that has a unique take on that series as well. The boat rides can be lengthy though, because it's a big game world. It is a good story, and because it's different even if you're not the biggest Zelda fan you might like it. On that note, when you say you're not the biggest Zelda fan, what Zelda games have you played?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Is MSF: Hyper Drive Edition a pretty obvious buy?

I would say yes if you're at all interested in puzzle platformers. Haven't played the Hyper Drive Edition but the original was good. It was on the shorter side though, but I hear the Hyper Drive Edition has a harder version of every level so it seems like that basically doubles the content.

I should actually really get that too, thanks for mentioning it! I've really got to figure out the whole Club Nintendo coin thing and see if I can get it at a discount.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Man oh man, is Wii Party U any good? I'm torn between that and Wind Waker for my free download from registering Mario Kart 8.

Wii Party U is great if you're playing with friends, or drunk, or playing with drunk friends. Didn't get WWHD but the original game was great and the HD release looks great (plus it has extra stuff like taking pictures I guess?). Id say the choice depends on whether you think you'd be playing alone or with people more often.

Fremry posted:

How useful are the Wii fit products? My girlfriend is interested in them which could be the bit I need to justify buying a Wii U for our house.

Basically what everyone else had said, it's not like a cardio workout or anything but it keeps you in shape if you use it regularly. Mostly I thought the fact that it keeps track of everything was helpful, since I've never been good at keeping track of stuff like that myself.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

surf rock posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about getting a Wii U. Between the let's play of SM3DW, the release of MK8 and that great E3 (Smash Bros! Splatoon! Zelda!), it's just too good of a value right now with the MK8 promotion.

This is from a bit back but as a heads up the Target $15 off discount (which I think ends tomorrow?) applies to a game for each preorder. Meaning I preordered Smash for the Wii U and 3DS and got $15 off both Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. If you're stocking up your library you can get $15 off every game $40 or more just by getting another $1 preorder (you can preorder the same game up to 4 times, I think).

As far as Club Nintendo goes, I registered my Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin 3 which got me up to Gold. Now I'm hearing I should have waited until July 1st because they'll stop counting then (though apparently you can still spend them on things)? That's unfortunate if true. I might call Customer Service on the 1st and see if they'd be kind enough make the coins count for the next year instead (I haven't used them on anything yet).

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Xexre posted:

So I'm contemplating picking up a WiiU this weekend but I'm a little (a lot) WiiU stupid. We'll most likely end up getting MK8, Smash Bros, and Zeldas and Marios of all flavors. I was thinking of just getting the Pro controllers as that's the controller format most of my friends will be used to. I don't have any Wii stuff and don't expect to download any Wii stuff, but aside from that, is there anything I'll be missing out on if I don't get the standard WiiU + Nunchuck combo or can I just go hog wild with Pro controllers?

For note, I did review the OP and the charts, I just want to make sure there are some features in any current or future titles that rely specifically on the nunchuck combo controller.

I believe you don't need the Remote + Nunchuck for anything outside of Wii backwards compatibility, but you can pick up a refurbished Remote Plus + Nunchuck for $20. For being that cheap I picked one up to have another control scheme and to use the remote sideways for NES games because that is the only way to play them. :colbert:

But yeah, I don't think you actually need a remote for any of the Wii U stuff. I've heard really good things about the Pro Controller, but honestly the Gamepad is a heck of a lot lighter and more comfortable than I thought. Will probably pick up a Gamecube controller for Smash, though.

Edit: Welp, nevermind me I'm a moron. Pay attention to this guy. vvvvv

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 14, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Pegnose Pete posted:

That's awesome thanks guys. Also are they nice about it and count 49.99 as 50$? Tropical Freeze is 49.99 on the eShop.

Rock Epidemic posted:

They won't round it up, unfortunately. I actually used it as an excuse to do a few of the discounted Virtual Console upgrades from the Wii to Wii U, which are just enough to push those other purchases over. It might be worth considering that route if you have the option.

Yeah, basically every 10 cents is a point, and 500 points = $5. If you buy something for $49.99 you get 499 points, and need to spend 10 cents on something to push you over.

Does anyone know if digital games bought with Club Nintendo coins counts for this?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Wild Knight posted:

Also when my fiancee watches me play Tropical Freeze she freaks the hell out at everything, especially with poo poo like the stage starting to collapse or the buzzsaw falling off and beginning to roll after me. She keeps going "THIS GAME IS TERRIFYING WHY DO YOU LIKE THIS" and I'm like "because um, challenge I guess!" Also it's really fun.

That story is great and made me smile. Tropical Freeze, more or less terrifying than ZombiU?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Games -> Wii U Discussion - Refurbs are practically new

This really needs to be the new title of the thread. Actually like people have mentioned the OP is way out of date, and we've passed 1000 pages. Might be a good time for a new thread.

Everyone else already commented on refurb quality, and I want to add that applies to the refurbished controller (Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck) I got as well. For the consoles, someone mentioned somewhere that since Nintendo recalled all those basic models they might be expanding the memory and replacing the case, then selling them as refurbished Deluxe models.

But yeah, up until the Mario Kart 8 sale ends (July 31st):

$200 Refurb Wii U Deluxe Bundle w/ NintendoLand
$60 Mario Kart 8 + Free Game

Basically new system, 3 games, $5 eShop credit ($10 if you get MK8 from the eShop), and 280 Club Nintendo coins (which works out to around a couple downloadable games) for $260.

On a completely different note, why is Super Mario 3D world so much fun? I just realized it's almost 10 o'clock. Where did today go?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

To follow up on this, yes I am actually starting to work on a new OP for a new Wii U discussion thread and will do that unless people think it's a huge waste of time. Figured I'd put that in bold so people don't miss it and we don't end up with something horrific like having multiple people posting new Wii U general discussion threads at the same time.

Ultigonio posted:

I'll probably do something similar to that, but I'm planning on using [timg] tags and I'll probably have additional descriptions for recommended titles (possibly even a little section where I link to specific goons' posts recommending certain games so people can see multiple opinions?). Currently, major sections are probably going to look something like Recommended Exclusive, Recommended Multiplatform, Recent Releases, and Upcoming Releases. Should I bother to include links to currently archived threads for games?

Way ahead of you. I'm going to have a third OP post dedicated specifically to news that will be updated regularly, with recent news appearing at the very tippy-top of the OP. Bundles, things like BUY A REFURB UNIT YES THEY'RE GOOD, and various other deals you can take advantage of will be shown near the top as well.

That's awesome and you're awesome for doing it. Glad that you're really putting effort into it. Adding links to archived threads seems like a good idea for completions sake, though they could probably just be at the bottom of a post. You mentioned getting a Platinum account so that people could hound you to keep it updated and that might be a good idea too!

Great to hear you're planning on keeping deals updated. Up until July 31st the Mario Kart 8 + Free Game deal should be a big one because that's great. Being able to get the refurb system and 3 games plus all the extra stuff for registering is great too, at least if there's refurb units still in stock. From the sound of some recent posts it seems like there may not be? Has there been any verification if Nintendo actually sold all their refurbished units or not?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also Shovel Knight and Shantae and Guacamalee should be cool. This is a pretty bad summer for Wii U, despite how rad their E3 was, but there are high quality indie titles populating this season. Guacamelee is a special edition with new content, Shantae is a brand new game that apparently is twice as large as Shantae 2 according to Wayforward and now has Metroid map system, and Shovel Knight.. I hope it's cool, because I support everything with Virt music.

Hey, this is really cool. I had no idea Guacamelee was a special edition on the Wii U. I saw the PC version LPed and it looked really cool. I hope that we see more indie titles like these that are really polished and well done.

Fremry posted:

I just got one. The lady on the phone told me to try in a couple hours, and it went through for me.

That's good to hear! So I guess Nintendo is not out of refurbished models after all? Maybe they were just getting too many orders at once.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I saw a post once that said Super Mario 3D World was too short, do people actually feel that way? I mean, I'd understand if it's from a perspective of "I wish this game could go on forever" but otherwise I think it has a very good amount of content - there keeps being more and more extra content that unlocks as I play through the game.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Perry Normal posted:

Hell, a couple of times I've actually considered bringing the Wii U, the Gamepad and the power plug with me to the laundromat to play games while waiting for my laundry.

Reading this made me look at my Wii U and realize how compact it is. If it wouldn't overheat you could throw it in a backpack and use the Gamepad like a Game Gear (I think the Gamepad may actually be the size of a Game Gear).

If I see anyone with a Wii U at my local laundromat I'll pay for their laundry.

Kewpuh posted:

Galaxy 2 is also a goddamn masterpiece

This is true and you are a smart person. I never got all the green stars, but after watching Diabetus's LP I'm going back to it.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Chaltab posted:

I'm

pretty sure you can't run a Wii U without plugging it in

not even with six triple-A batteries.

Chaltab posted:

I'm

pretty sure you can't run a Wii U without plugging it in

not even with six triple-A batteries.

Yeah okay I'm dumb. Still might do exactly that next time I'm on a train or going somewhere I know there's outlets.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Super Mario 3D World (the Mario game with kitties! :3: ) is a game made for all players at all skills levels, and I think Nintendo did a great job implementing that idea. The game has a lot of level variety and the challenge ranges from collecting everything in a stage and beating it your first time to significantly frustrating. For kids if they die a bunch the White Tanooki suit appears so they can beat the level and see (most of) the rest of the game. There's never a time when the suit is forced on you if you don't want to use it. I would know, I'd died way more than enough times to get it to show up. Freaking extra world green stars, man!

I keep screwing up Mystery House Marathon and having to play the whole thing again...why would you do this to me, Nintendo?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

greasyhands posted:

Dunno if it works in store, but on target.com smash bros preorder works in the 2 for 1 promo.

Sorry, but can we get some clarification on this? A while ago I preordered Smash Bros. from Target for $1 (they hold it behind the desk and you pay when it releases) for their $15 off deal. Are you saying now that you can do 2 $1 preorders and get a $50 game for free? I assume I'm misunderstanding because that seems like it couldn't be true.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

edit: also like for real I really need your guys' help for questions for the OP

Glad to hear you're still working on this, Ultigonio!

Are you looking for questions specifically about the Wii U system, or the games, or what? There have been some questions from new Wii U owners throughout the thread, and I think those would be good to address. Off the top of my head:

• How do I use an existing Mii/NNID on my Wii U? I remember people asking when thy were porting one over from the 3DS. There's some counter-intuitive step here where you choose to setup a new Mii before you can choose to use an existing one? I don't recall the exact situation but it would be a good thing to address.
  • What games can I play on the gamepad? It's probably better to provide a list of ones you can't, but I think the positivity here should be emphasized because this is really a drat useful feature of the Wii U.
  • What conditions are refurbished models/controller in? In my experience, they are really high quality. Someone posted in the thread they bet refurbished models get recased and such before being sold and I'd believe it (maybe even that theory all the Basic models that got recalled are being upgraded, recased and sold as refurbished models).
  • The Gamepad has a stylus?! It totally does.

I assume you'd be explaining stuff like Club Nintendo, the digital promotion and the Mario Kart 8 deal in other sections, because we definitely want to explain how people can get the best value for their dollar.

Also the Wii U mode / Wii mode split should really be detailed, including things like the VC differences and which controllers can be used, etc.

That's all just what I happened to think of right now. For anybody in the thread that recently bought a Wii U, what questions would it have been helpful to have answers to?

As a side note, do we want to include stuff like "Should I get a Pro Controller?" and other opinion questions? Maybe give a few opinions from different people in the thread?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

Here's a rough preview as to what the new F.A.Q. will look like. It'll be divided by topic, and each question will have a "number." Since I realized that some questions may fit in multiple different sections, numbering these questions gives a way to make the answer easy to find for whoever is looking for it while not sacrificing overall organization. In this example, section III is the "New Owner" section of the FAQ. Naturally, a new owner wants to know what kind of controllers they should be picking up, but it's arguably a question that fits better in the Controller section. Each section has a small-sized graphic header (for style and spacing), followed by a numbered, titled, and bolded text header (for function). If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or critique, I'm all ears. The full F.A.Q. should be done pretty soon, at which point I'll post it for feedback, but I wanted to get some feedback on the general ideas present before I put too much time into some of these elements.

Nice, Ultigonio! Definitely like the controller compatibility chart, I hope there will be more opportunities to graphically display information like that. For the questions though, rather than having questions that direct to other questions just having a good table of contents should take care of that. If people know there's a section specifically for controller questions, but don't look there, then it's their own drat fault.

Though it's technically redundant with the compatibility chart, it might be worthwhile to point out you do need to separately get a Wii Remote for Wii games in the "What extra controllers will I need?" question. For the Wii U though you don't actually need any controllers besides the GamePad, so it might be better to say "want" instead of "need."

Mr. Neutron posted:

Does anyone know which ports the Wii U needs to be open? I swear it's impossible to google...

Pomp posted:

Do system updates always take this long, or have i managed to do something wrong in the 5 minutes since I turned the thing on?

greatn posted:

Just the first one really. After that they're going to download and install in the background from now on.

These both seem like good Q&A things as well. I can vouch for the latter, went shopping during the initial update - it was done when I came back and I haven't had to wait for any other updates after that.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

Got my Wii U Refurb in today, only got to play Mario Kart and it is a blast. Is there any way to get Mario kart to stick with the d-pad controls for the game though? Everytime I start a new grand prix all the wii controllers default to motion controls.

This was from a bit back but wanted to follow up because I didn't see an answer. For me it's always defaulted to directional controls, but that's on the GamePad. You can change the GamePad mode from the '+' menu in game, is that the same for Wii Remotes?

Maybe someone else can chime in with a better answer.

Ultigonio posted:

Here's another preview of the WIP OP, this time from the very top of the first post to just before the F.A.Q. It features the Recent News Tidbit (a piece of interesting or important news that'll appear at the tippy-top of the OP), links to other important Nintendo threads, and the Ongoing Deals section. As usual, any and all feedback is appreciated. Next up, I'll be posting the entire first post of the OP. It's just about done, but I'm starting to slow down for the night, so I figured I'd post up progress, especially since I think that the Ongoing Deals section is a pretty helpful thing to have. I'm definitely missing some items from the hardware subsection, and I gotta' fix that source for the news tidbit, but it'll probably be switched out for something else by the time I get this thing done.

Liked starting off with recent news, and the links to the other threads. I didn't know there was an eShop thread, I'll have to bookmark that! Likewise, doing the breakdown of the different posts up top is good, though for the actual thread they should probably be links to each post. Using the Wii U Details graphic was a smart choice, and I hope we'll be able to use more graphic like that instead of just text. Speaking of text though, nice text art for the headers.

One thing though, I do think the Mario Kart 8 promotion should be on top of the recent news, maybe with a couple :siren:s. It really is a great deal, and it's in the last month to get it now so it would suck if people missed out.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Niemat posted:

Okay, so I am apparently a giant babby, and I can't figure out how to get stamps to appear when I post to Miiverse... I know I have to post while I'm in the game, and I know there should be a stamp icon in the handwritten notes option, but there isn't. I've tried in SM3DW and Pushmo World, but I'm not getting a stamp icon to appear--just the three pen sizes and the three erasers. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Do I have to "activate" this option somewhere? I've looked in Miiverse settings, each game's settings, and the Wii U settings, and I can't find anything about it.

Assuming you have stamps for these games it should be to the left of the pencils, between the pencils and the undo button. As long as you have Miiverse set up, I don't think there's a specific setting to change. I think for Super 3D World you need to beat the first world to get access to the Miiverse stuff.

The stamps have always worked for me though, so I'm not sure why that's happening to you. Can anyone smarter than me help this guy out?

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, this is precisely why I want to carefully restrict the "recommended" multiplats list to games that have unique features or content in the Wii U version. DS2 probably won't get on there, but Deus Ex might, and I think AC:AE probably will. Besides that, the exclusive list and the multiplat list are going to be entirely separate.

I think its a good idea to be restrictive with the list so it doesn't get excessive, though you don't want to overdo it and leave out games people should get!

Thanks for putting the work into the new OP, Ultigonio. Glad to see people have been giving you good feedback! We've got a good crowd in this thread.

Ultigonio posted:

As much as I love the changes made in WWHD (with the graphical adjustments having their ups and downs), I have a hard time considering it an "exclusive" because it's still a very similar experience to the original game with quality-of-life changes rather than a full-blown overhaul of what the game is. I'd consider a reimagining, a game like Metroid: Zero Mission, to be a separate game that tells the same story, but I don't think I'd give WWHD that same distinction. I might be willing to change it, but you can still find mostly the same experience on the GameCube or on the PC if you're emulating.

I think WWHD really should be in the exclusive section. Seriously, think of someone new to the thread who wants to see the pluses/minuses for it (which is a great feature, by the way) - where are they going to look for a Zelda game? The section with all the Nintendo exclusives or the section with third party games? Remember, the most important thing to keep in mind is to be helpful for readers. We shouldn't get caught up in technicalities and instead do what's most useful for people.

I support getting positives and negatives from the thread as well! Not only will that be a fun thing to talk about, but also it will probably be more meaningful to have more perspectives on a game. Of course we'll still want to keep them short and sweet so people don't run into a wall of text.

Spacebump posted:

The worst part of this is for months after the fact Ed Boon pretended it was coming on twitter when anyone asked him. I'll never buy another game by him over that.

I'm shocked people are still recommending Sonic Transformed after Mario Kart came out. I'd assume the online has been long dead for that game at this point. I'd only recommend it on a big discount. If you guys are looking for something different on the Wii U, try Black Ops 2 with the Wiimote+nunchuck setup. The online still always has at least 1000 players and that control style is really fun. I hope we get more first person shooters on the Wii U.

I think you're the second person in the thread to recommend Black Ops 2, with that exact controller setup as well. I never considered picking it up before. Typically any FPS I'm interested in I'll pick up for the PC. How different is the experience on the Wii U with the different control scheme?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I think the point everyone is missing is that Wonderful 101 is the best "beat up a bunch of guys" game in existence. Why yes, I did just start playing it thanks for asking. Real good thing I had read enough about it to buy the block and dodge moves though, because drat I cannot imagine playing the game without them.

Hang on - Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1+2, Hyrule Warriors, Special Edition Guacamelee...when did the Wii U become the Action Game system?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You can say all the bad things about games you want. You're just not protected from people responding to your comments, especially if they happen to be factually inaccurate or egregiously hyperbolic.

Thank you and the people who agree with you for being smart and sensible.

Got ZombiU but I haven't actually played it yet. Good to hear that a charged attack will serve better than mashing buttons wildly. Don't know when I'll get to it since I still have to beat all the staff ghosts in Mario Kart 8, finish Super Mario 3D world, and I'm currently addicted to Wonderful 101, but are there any other non-spoiler tips or such to know about ZombiU?

Edit:

Random Stranger posted:

For my next trick, I will say negative things about one of the most beloved games in this thread and get away with it! Zelda: Wind Waker is a bad game. Despite the improvements in the HD version there's a lot of basic usability problems with the game. The majority of the play time is just empty, pointless, interactionless sailing even with the fast sail. There's less to do in the game and consequentially Nintendo padded everything out with pointless filler. It's got good moments but taken as whole the game falls flat.

I think most people would agree with you about the sailing timewise. For your first time playing sailing is neat though, but it does get old. However, I think you're really underestimating how much the Swift Sail helps. It helps a lot.

What makes you think sailing means there's less to do in Wind Waker though? Running around places has been part of every Zelda game (replace running with Sailing for WW). I don't think Wind Waker has significantly less content if you take out the travel time from it and any other given Zelda game. Granted, I would have still preferred Majora's Mask HD for the Wii U...

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 5, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

Probably a stupid question, but if I intended to hook a Wii U up to my computer monitor, is there any way to also use my computer's speakers or headphones?

Novasol posted:

I did this and it works fine, but it's going to depend on which inputs you have available for your monitor. In my case, all I had was a VGA port available, so I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7RH5C/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If you have HDMI, you shouldn't need anything like this since HDMI carries the audio, so it would use your monitor's speakers.

The upside is that I was able to then rout the audio into my computer's line in port, so now I get my Wii U audio through my computer's headphones. You could also rout it to your monitor's line in and use its speakers.

Just as a heads up to Ultigonio I think technical stuff like this would be good for the Q&A section of the new OP. It's good to see we have people in this thread that have done this stuff an can answer these questions!

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

numerrik posted:

I know this has been answered before, but I'm on my phone so I can't look it up. Is the Wii U a USB 2.0 or 3.0 device?

From http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64324453:

quote:

WiiU uses USB 2.0, but it should be noted that you can use 3.0 devices on 2.0 however they will only be able to run at 2.0 speed.

Basically, pointless to spend more on a 3.0 harddrive when it will run at the same speed of the cheaper 2.0 drive.

Also, guy who thinks Midna is bad and has never played Majora's Mask: your opinions are silly and should play good games like Majora's Mask.

Thanks to the thread for reminding me I still need to get Shovel Knight on my Wii U. What's the new One Piece game people are talking about? The series is great, but I haven't heard about a new game coming out for it.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

I genuinely feel like I missed something. Why is everyone angry? I don't even see anything on this page that feels particularly inflammatory or out of place, people just got angered up all of a sudden.

If the other thread genuinely died off and all those posters came back here that could be why, because generally those kinds of posts were relegated there.

But anyways, since the Wii U is Nintendo's first HD system, how do people feel about HD remakes? I think Wind Waker HD was well done, and people have mentioned wanting to see Mario Galaxy remakes. Personally I think Metroid Prime would be a prime candidate. Wind Waker HD had more than just a graphical overhaul though, there were gameplay additions that really improved the game. If Nintendo did do more HD remakes, which games could really benefit from changes like that?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

How much of this game am I not going to understand if I've only read up to around where Brook is introduced?

If you've read up to Thriller Bark, then I believe the game is focused mostly after that (the Dressrosa Colosseum is featured, right?). However, you should be familiar with all the characters not made for the game's arc, and since the game has its own arc anyway I don't think it's necessary to have read everything. The Giant Bomb guys seemed to have fun with it despite not knowing anything about the series at all.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Then Shovel Knight it is.

You have made the correct choice, because Shovel Knight is awesome. Have not heard much about Child of Light though, what do people think of it?

Edit:

Regy Rusty posted:

3D Land and World are essentially a new type of entry in the series that take elements from both others and it works really well. Variety is good though. I personally hope there continue to be 3 types of Mario platformers.

This person has good opinions. It's great that Nintendo does different flavors of games with their series - even though Galaxy, 3D World and Sunshine are all platformers they're all different, and the same goes for Majoria's Mask, Wind Waker, Four Swords and Return to Dreamland, Crystal Shards, Canvas Curse, and etc. I don't know if that's something people recognize if they don't play the games.

I'd love to see a Galaxy 3 or similar for the Wii U, but that shouldn't stop Nintendo from making games like Super 3D World.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 12, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Hydrocodone posted:

And I remember enjoying the gameplay in Super Princess Peach, but there's no getting around how ridiculously bad it was that her powers were emotions. One was crying.

Wasn't the gameplay gimmick the 4 Greek elements, and she could literally burst into flames and became an invincible engine of destruction and also make tornadoes and such? There are very legitimate points to make regarding prejudice in the industry, but it's important to distinguish between things like Other M and things people want to be offended by because otherwise it all just becomes white noise.

Afro posted:

So Guacamelee is really loving good.

True that. I've got to get it for the Wii U once I finish Shovel Knight, since the Wii U version is a Special Edition. Other than changing some of the background references to be less "lol, Internet," does anyone know what the other gameplay changes were?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

No, her powers were literally her raging emotions. Joy, rage, gloom, and calm. I don't know where you got the Greek elements idea from.

As far as Nintendo goes, Super Princess Peach is definitely one of their lowest points, and definitely worse than Other M.

The game was fun, though.

Okay, I'm sorry I should have explained that better. You are correct about the gimmick, but the effects of each one were the basic fire/water/wind/earth cycle. It's my impression the argument for this being bad is that a female character is being emotional, but I feel like that's entirely different then something like Other M which has too many issues to enumerate here (go watch Maple Leaf's LP). Quite to the contrary - Peach is the hero of the game, isn't portrayed as being helpless, etc.

Neat that Astro Nut's sister liked it anyway.

Moriatti posted:

Best part of this is that NSMBU is FAR from the strongest exclusive in any way.

The Wii U is really good, guys .

To take this thread back in a Wii U direction and speaking of NSMBU, so far the Mario series games on Wii U have been at least multiplayer capable if not multiplayer oriented. There's Mario Party 10 coming which is definitely geared that way as well (playing as Bowser looks great). Do you think Nintendo's going to continue that paradigm going forward? Like being able to have other players control your teammates in Starfox or some Dark Souls kind of stuff in the new open world Zelda or etc?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Here's the opening to Super Princess Peach. You can skip to about 4:25 if you just want to see the part where she decides to save the day. This game is a platformer with the gimmick of different elemental powers, with the in-story explanation for them being Princess Peach's emotions because of plot magic. It's true that since Rome made Stoicism the common mentality one of the stereotypes of women has been being emotional (before Rome it was the opposite, read Greek tragedies or the Bible sometime). However, giving a female character Hulk-style superpowers and having her save the day is a completely different situation than something like Other M (again, watch Maple Leaf's LP) and it needs to be treated differently because otherwise complaints about both lose all meaning.

The topic of prejudice in games is a serious topic that should be addressed seriously, and I think it's worth having its own thread for if people want to discuss it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I love Pikmin 3.

You have good taste! I really like the Pikmin series because not only are they well executed and polished but also they're unique experiences. Pikmin 3 is a great entry in the series. If anyone hasn't played a Pikmin game yet, you should definitely pick up Pikmin 3 if you get a chance!

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 13, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Dammit, everyone types too fast. Here's something back on the Wii U topic:

For instance, whenever my Wii U power light goes orange I assume it's installing updates or demos or etc. However, I haven't noticed any kind of notifications or differences next time I turn it on. IS there a way to know what happened?

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Orange means that it's mostly off, but it's still connected to the web and could be downloading and installing stuff. Red means it's really off.

Thank you, that was helpful and I appreciate the response.

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone knows if cutting off the power during a download is bad (when the indicator is orange)?

Going off of DoctorWhat's answer, if it's just connected but isn't downloading or installing anything then I imagine cutting the power would be fine. However, if it is downloading or installing something cutting the power would likely make you lose whatever it was doing in the least.

Edit: Thanks to deafmute too! I'll have to pay closer attention to my game icon. Is this all documented somewhere? I got my Wii U refurbished and don't recall seeing anything about this stuff in the documentation I got with it.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 13, 2014

• Locked thread