Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spaceman Future! posted:

Its a real shame. I love the everglades and the keys and coastal regions in Florida, but every time I think about moving there the sheer craziness of the populace kills any motivation I might have to follow through. Which I guess is ok, my nest egg just has Hawaii House written on it instead.

Does anyone know how Puerto Rico is? I kind of want to retire in a Caribbean Island but I don't really want to leave the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MizPiz posted:

You say that like it's not.

:smug:

It's Casper the racist ghost.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yes, I too want to see that lovely Sherman cartoon but as a 200 page novel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The other issue with libertarianism is that it's intrinsically linked to White people and especially White Men in a country that is rapidly shifting away from that viewpoint.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShortStack posted:

South Park is garbage why are we talking about garbage? Are we garbage men?

Well based on the thread you're in...

sleepingbuddha posted:

Bush appears as an incompetent idiot several times on South Park.

http://southpark.wikia.com/wiki/George_Bush

He's only really an idiot in one of them. In the conspiracy one he's literally a mastermind and delivers a monologue at the end about how it was obviously arabs in planes that destroyed the WTC.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Mark Twain was heavily involved politically and was more than just a comedian though (he was a vocal member of the Anti-Imperialist League, for instance).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Walter posted:

I explained conservative humor as the difference between who laughs at the following scenarios.

1) A wealthy man sharply dressed in a tuxedo is walking along the sidewalk when a car splashes mud all over him, soiling his clean, black suit.

2) A homeless man dressed in dirty clothes with unkempt hair and a scraggly beard is walking along the sidewalk when a car splashes mud all over him, covering him with filth.

The first (in various forms) is a staple of slapstick movies. The latter is just sad, a person who is already suffering experiencing even greater suffering.

Who laughs at #2?

If #2 happened to Jeff Lebowski I could laugh at it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Lebowski wasn't homeless. :ssh:

3/4, close enough.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Note that the big box store that dominates the world of coddled idiots is Costco.

Also ignorance is associated with urban/latin culture.

The biggest dumbass in the film is a white dude and the most intelligent character (and woman!) is a minority.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Wait, it's over 40 now? Is there an actual counter somewhere that just lists the number of times because I stopped paying attention after 30...

It was 40 last July:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/40th-obamacare-repeal-vote_n_3660999.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

joeburz posted:

Basically the states will somehow be more benevolent and more adequately representing the will of the people, much like corporations in a market devoid of regulatory process. Because reasons.

In fairness they actually would be if people gave a poo poo about state elections (or anything but "the big man in the white house" every 4 years).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

joeburz posted:

In case you haven't noticed "the will of the people" is code in the southern political environment for "heavy-handed discrimination endorsed by the state".

Yeah but that's only because conservatives are the only ones to care about the state governance.

I'm sure that if more liberal people controlled the state government but there was some conservative federal issue the conservatives would support the latter over the former (and indeed they literally did during the Fugitive Slave Act era).

States rights have only been considered a conservative issue because conservatives are the only ones making use of the powers of the state (at least until those weed bills passed anyway).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fulchrum posted:

Number one most watched cable news network by a wide margin.

Not that the other ones give you a reason to watch outside of prime time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skaboomizzy posted:

Chick Fil A just overtook KFC in sales despite KFC having 2.5x as many stores.

KFC is consistently the deadest fast foot chain I've ever been to. They're going the way of Blockbuster and Circuit City.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McAlister posted:

Then the machines came, took all our jobs, and looks became way more important.

No, the subjugation of cottage industries came when actual industry became important and traits inherent to men (strength, etc) became more important.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mineaiki posted:

Oh God I remember that. Yeah the CIA and the rest of the government is completely incompetent so they definitely wouldn't pick up on an American citizen hanging out in a war-torn Middle Eastern country with a bunch of people who want to commit acts of terror against Americans reentering the country to kill people.

Just don't do a drone strike against them I guess.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

agarjogger posted:

This is the most terrifying thing I've ever heard on Fox.
Holy Christ, 90% of those people voted?

It turns out churches are actually a pretty easy way to do local organizing, as black churches have found out for the past 60+ years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HootTheOwl posted:

But this has been their strategy for the last 20 years and it's only recently not working.
Getting out the base rather than expanding the base has been the GOP MO and one of the reasons for the wall to wall obamascare tactics.

If by only recently you mean "10 of the last 18 years".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HootTheOwl posted:

If by only recently I mean "06-10." The Republicans controlled congress from 94-06, took back the house in 2010, and are poised to gain full control again this year.

You're talking about congressional elections, the topic was Presidential elections.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There's a huge market of FYGM-minded people who aren't old white men to tap into.

[citation needed]

At least for non-white people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mo_Steel posted:

Next you'll want me to count back change by adding up from the closest dollar. Paying for a $11.62 order with a $20 means I give back a $5 ($16.62) 3 $1s ($19.62) 1 Quarter ($19.87) 1 Dime ($19.97) and 3 Pennies ($20.00) for a total of $8.38? What am I, Dean of Mathematics at Yale? :jerkbag:

You laugh but...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: or the freedom deprived "nursery dealer" who just wants to watch your children for 8 hours without all these pesky background checks?

"Dealer" makes it sound like a plant nursery but it could also be the baby kind.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StandardVC10 posted:

I knew Alaska was huge and uninhabited, but jeez, that's a whole lot of land with literally no one living in it.

because large parts of the land look like this:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

more friedman units posted:

It's interesting that Americans can have direct knowledge of idiotic and pointless management to the point that it's widely joked about, yet they continue to believe that we live in a meritocratic society.

For (e.g.) engineering you don't have to actually be an engineer to manage engineers so you can still believe that managers are morons and that talented people in your field get ahead in life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiggerBoat posted:

Aside from being communist, it's every Republican business owner's wet dream. What are the gun laws like in China? Pretty strict I bet.

Yep, my girlfriend's from a smallish village there and she's never heard of anyone who privately (i.e, not the PLA) owns a gun.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darkman Fanpage posted:

loving hot dog vendors are the worst and make NYC smell like rear end.

Come to Texas, we have taco vendors.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FuzzySkinner posted:

They just now said that China has a better college education system than the US.

Because you know...there isn't a clear good amount of Chinese on Student Vias's at every given school in this country now or anything.

It's better if you're a true believer in the "let one test at the end of the year determine your entire grade" model.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of which, are there any news sites with articles and a comment section that isn't entirely terrible, but also a little more work appropriate than something like SA? Or is it just the nature of the beast that it's all trash?

Well, the one site I can think of that probably doesn't have significant crossover with generic news websites is Slashdot and they're a bunch of gibbons as well so yeah they're just all lovely.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eggyolk posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

He must've forgot about the one that flooded lower Manhattan and triggered a total re-zoning of the East coast shoreline?

In fairness that's more due to a cycle that predates a lot of the global warming stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Multidecadal_Oscillation

Not that he'd know that, of course.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't understand this verdict at all I always thought ignorance of the consequences was no excuse for violating the law? I don't see the talking heads decrying the use of tax payer money to pay for that kid's resort stay or any verification that he actually is in the resort.

Tax payers weren't originally going to pay for the resort, the family was. The judge later moved him to a state facility in Texas, so no beach resort but public money was used (because it's a state facility).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Is there a single outspoken conservative with even the tiniest bit of class?

RDJ and Gary Sinise?

Kelsey Grammar because of Frasier if nothing else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Good Citizen posted:

I find it completely believable that with a high end editor and illustrator, a man hosed up on pills could write an award winning children's book about his adventures through colonial America with a time traveling horse.

Well Stephen King wrote Cujo and he doesn't even remember writing it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Traveller posted:

No, no, the British would just take back the original colonies. The South would go to its rightful owners, Mexico :getin:

Noted Mexican colony South Carolina.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hazo posted:

And yet almost one third of Tea Partiers thinks criminals deserve the same rights to guns as everyone else.

This is starting to sound like an unironic approval of "tough on crime" rhetoric.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

Roger Ailes must masturbate furiously each and every time he sees how easily he can make the entirety of US media jump through whatever hoops he chooses to make.

Time has been doing lovely articles since before Ailes was born.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moths posted:

I'm wondering if voter suppression is going to explode in their faces. A not-insignificant amount of their base are working poor and elderly, both groups with challenges getting to polls and obtaining ID.

ID laws mobilized left-leaning churches and social organizations to get IDs and ride-shares. It was a transparent attack on their voting rights, of course they're going to react. But I haven't seen any voter-prep from the right. Is the assumption that their base is all SUV drivers' licence having middle-management? Because that seriously is not the face of the GOP.

The evangelical churches have been the GOTV arm of the GOP for decades, they probably have systems set up already to help people get to the polls.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
NPR quite often follows the government line so it could reasonably be seen as propaganda.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's worth noting that 99% of the people who use "my connection with Christ" an an excuse are far from genuinely sorry.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

radical meme posted:

God I hope that's not true. Whether it was uncovered or not, he still had a group of malevolent, sadistic gangsters surrounding him in his staff and administration that would have gone on to destroy the lives of who knows how many people. Without Watergate, Nixon might have been able to actually do something with that enemies list of his.

Well, just keep on perpetuating the "Nixon was a liberal" meme and you'll get there no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flaskraven posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...411f_story.html

So he walked off because he was a libertarian shithead?

Coming from Idaho that doesn't really surprise me, it's fairly easy to dismiss him now though even if he's in alignment with some of your movement.