Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ender.uNF posted:

Probably no incentive to change anything because rich people can __________ freely simply by dumping a million bucks into ___________, allowing them to skip all the rules and lines. This applies to the whole world.

This post works best as a mad libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

I love pets, I just hate barking dogs keeping me up all night because of lovely owners and lovely landlords that don't enforce rules. It's way easier to say "no pets" than actually kick some out out of a building because their dog barks every second they're not home. If noise complaints were handled by the city and not the landlord that would be another issue, but so many landlords just don't want to deal with anything, specially conflict between tenants and will often side with who ever isn't bothering them. A couple of my friends live in buildings that allow cats and they smell like cat piss and my wife gets all itchy (allergic) anytime she goes over. I've seen god drat kitty litter in the hallways. The problem of course is easily solved by better building codes and landlords actually cleaning and enforcing rules. My other friend's apartment has an ongoing problem with dog poo poo in the hallways and stairwells because people are too lazy to take their tiny toy breeds outside, specially in the winter, and just let them poo poo in the hallways. If you're renting at the lower end of the price spectrum pet-free buildings are always so much nicer. If you're going to be stuck in a poorly maintained slum it's just nice to eliminate pet poo poo and noises from the list of horrible issues, it's just one less thing to have to endure because your landlord is NOT going to be helping you. If you're allergic to the neighbour's cat, you end up having to move. If the neighbour's dog keeps you up all night, tough poo poo you end up having to move if you want to sleep. I don't want people driven from their homes because some idiot decided they just absolutely need an animal in their apartment.

I'd just love to see the building codes improved a bit so that smells and noises don't transfer from unit to unit so easily, but in most buildings here they do, so building-wide rules on things that can greatly effect fellow tenants are fine with me.

Just kill the dog dude, geez.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furnaceface posted:

Hockey has always been a rich mans sport, dont kid yourself. I hope youth hockey enrollment continues to plummet because its fun to watch Don Cherry freak out and blame everything from immigrants to liberal scum for it and not the fact that the game just got too expensive and people just dont make enough money anymore to cover the massive monetary and time sinks it requires to have your kid participate.

I prefer UK hockey without all the pads

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ascendance posted:

I have never been to a grilled cheese restaurant and never will.

Grilled cheese is what I make when I'm too lazy to cook.

If its not just supper, I tend to stick a fried egg in my grilled cheese.

Aw but dude they put like a strip of bacon or a cut up hotdog on it and its only $12

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ascendance posted:

In between my last post and now, I made a grilled cheese sandwich (fancy, with mayo on the outside) with sriarcha ketchup (no, I didn't buy it... I mixed it together), ate it, washed the frying pan, put the plate and other utensils into the dishwasher, and sat my rear end back down.

I expect that was actually less time it would take to order a grilled cheese, get it, eat it, and pay for it.
You could have sold that sandwich to me for $12. Lost opportunity.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I made a lovely still in College just to prove it would work. Built it out of supplies from Walmart. Basically a croc pot heated on a big skillet and spiraled copper tubing out the top. Filter what comes out through activated Carbon(several times) for that smooth winter mountain taste.

It caught on fire super good.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
new CanCon rules should just require this be played once per hour every hour for eternity.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChairMaster posted:

Haha what the gently caress, you can pay someone in Mexico literally less than 10% what you pay someone in Canada to do the same job, and supposedly our superior infrastructure and security are going to attract manufacturing jobs? That's loving insane.

With Mandatory Minimum Sentencing we can stock our prisons with workers and sell their labour to industry which will undercut Mexico. Vote Conservative.

EDIT: 10 pages back? Dang

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 23, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

I can't speak of the aluminum its self but man I've seen some really lovely aluminum panel installs, like where each panel didn't quite line up with the ones below and the flashing looked really lovely. I don't know how anyone does it and walks away from it. Where's the site super? Where's the developer saying "redo this loving garbage" ? And now it's apparently going to fall off and catch on fire.

Aluminum panels and cedar siding are two materials I like that have been so badly and cheapy over-done people are getting sick of it.

Who do you need to impress with a nice looking building if you've pre-sold the entire thing? All those panels line up perfectly in the CG render.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/6d3c5b30-fc38-11e4-ad3f-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=intl

It's pretty lol when banks are telling people 'hay guys cool it with the money lending ok'

They're double bluffing. The first thing I thought was 'If a bank says not to, it's time to get a Mortgage.':colbert:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whoa this is like a mini version of Mike Tysons abandoned mansion. 80's as gently caress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Must we do this?

edit: it seems straight out of the same playbook as calling Yaletown a 'borough' or some place called Toronto having a 'midtown'.

Toronto needs a midtown to differentiate between the East End and the Lower East Side otherwise it is all the same and my condo is technically in the poors area

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

Either that, or buildings should install a proper HVAC system with air conditioning because it's loving 2015.

That's an option too (honestly, I'd jump at the opportunity to pay a "special assessment" to install proper air conditioning, I'd be getting the money back when I sell anyway). Another reason why it sucks when there are too many owners simply renting their units out -- they have every motivation to be cheap assholes, and no motivation to improve the quality of life in the building.

EDIT: You sleep in underwear? Why?

lmao if you dont have a giant man-sized storage bin filled with salty icewater ineffectually wafting cool air over you with a desk fan

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So it is a very competitive time for me to get a mortgage?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sundae posted:

Wow... that's horrifying. I can walk down the street to a handmade, high-quality wooden furniture shop here (a benefit of living in Amish country) and stock out an entire house with stuff that will never, ever break and (probably) not go too much further out of style since it's already antique-looking, and $15K could do every single piece of furniture in the entire place, custom-built. Even that is over the top and ridiculous to me. Instead, there's the St. Vincent's furniture thrift store where the exact same stuff is $100 a pop used if I don't care about it being a perfect fit in every possible way (which I don't).

This is the first time I've ever felt compelled to become an arsonist.

You should visit the "Design District" in Toronto. it's a few blocks of some of the most outrageously priced poo poo you will ever see. $1000 vacuum formed plastic lawn chairs. But they're for inside.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Most people don't understand at all how banks work. They accept service fees because they don't understand that banks use their deposits as loans to make money. They actually believe that the bank just puts their money in a vault and holds it for them until needed.

Thats exactly how my bank works in between the box frame and mattress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's nice to use up your dryer to get the wrinkles out of a single shirt, cant really do that economically with coin op

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Havin a good lol @ the person who bought a mobile home but is also stuck wherever their mobile home is currently parked. A classic case of failing to build up truck equity, leaving your other investments in the lurch.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

No, it can't be, clearly all feee-males want the same thing in this wretched country, and all the good ones are taken, like they're happy meal toys, and if I could only move to Estonia or whatever promised land then I would be swimming in pussy
:goonsay:

hot wheels envy

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...llar-phenomenon

Holy loving poo poo maritimers (or whatever the gently caress you call these morons) are loving dumb

Nuke the entire loving eastern seaboard to glass

It's like Syrian refugees walking to the netherlands

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Say whatever you want I still want to live in a tiny house built on a old lady's driveway

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Ohh boy you nailed it. I think restaurant owners also love the social standing that comes with owning a restaurant. Not that there's anything wrong with that per-say. But when you bring yourself to financial ruin for this social standing and give your employees no notice when you close up shop...well, then that's sad.

I like the gordon ramsey kitchen nightmare shows where it is very clear the restaurant owners have watched too many movies and think that restaurant ownership is some sort of shortcut to climb the social ladder and get into the family

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 21, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My parents want to sell their large house and move into a smaller house in a more affordable area.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

My parents are planning to sell their big house, and move into a downtown penthouse that's worth about the same amount. I think it's a pretty good call, and it's going to make the discussion about, "y'all are too goddamn old to drive!" a lot easier in a decade or two. They also are selling their vacation house, because they finally realized that, after upkeep on that is all paid for, they could take wicked vacations somewhere that isn't in the precise middle-of-nowhere BC.

My parents were looking into condo livin' too, but I think they settled on a 1 storey. They like keeping a garden but won't miss the lawn.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tipps posted:

The opportunity of a lifetime to get a FREE iphone6 or samsung S6 if you sign up for a mortgage with iCare mortgages so you can buy your Yaletown dream home today!

My friend has a '$5000 ipod nano' because he signed up for a credit card on a whim for a free ipod, and proceeded to max it out. Still a great deal in comparison to this.

The nano is super out of date, cant hold a charge, and totally trashed but he keeps it on his mantle as a constant reminder of youthful stupidity.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OhYeah posted:

Was the last John Oliver show accurate in its description of Boyband Justin?

Really surprised Oliver left out the boxing match, that was easily the high point of his political career until now

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I've said for years that Vancouver should have congestion charging. $50 to drive your loving car through downtown motherfuckers

That would be awesome if the fee went directly to transit infrastructure. Turn Mississauga into a giant parking lot and make the Gardiner a big old streetcar track.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do BC school boards buy billboard space in China? Could be the smoking gun...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

I like lots of different fonts in --WEIRD STYLES-- with ==odd== lines going ALL OVER THE GODDAMN PLACE because _-_-I'm a giant retard who lives in Vancouver!-_-_

helo human restaurant menu :-)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

So what? You're just meant to wait around stinky as all gently caress or showering at a gym until you finally get a hold of your lazy-rear end landlord and harass him into actually fixing the thing he's responsible for?

You know, considering this thread always goes on about how owning is such bullshit, the more I hear about renting the more I think I'd gladly pay a hefty premium to avoid it. I'm lucky that, when I was renting, my landlord fixed everything within 24 hours (corporate landlords are the best!) but if that weren't an option... gently caress that, pay the money and buy if at all possible.

The time without a shower is spent questioning your lack of equity. Also a lot of landlords are dumb and know as little about the law as tenants, so just offering to hire repairmen yourself and deducting the cost from rent (as if you are doing them a favour) can get a lazy landlord off their rear end if it means saving a few bucks.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

It is doing them a favour, though? They're responsible for the repair one way or the other, and unless they're capable of effecting the repair themselves, they're just going to hire a dude the same as you would. If they have someone that they use regularly and get a discount, presumably they would make that information known to their tenant so they don't have to be bothered every time something fucks up.

We're talking about a bad fictional landlord, assume that none of that information is available. And you're not doing them a favour, you float the idea as if you are, instead of being antagonistic and framing it as 'I'm paying this plumber and NOT MY RENT!' The implied threat being I, as a dummy tenant would just hire the first guy I see in the yellowpages, and not his wink and a handshake shady brother-in-law or whoever he will get to do the fix as cheaply as possible. A $50 fix from that guy may end up being a large chunk of my rent if I hired a legitimate contractor instead. You're just scaring them with that but in a nice 'see, I'm trying to help, aren't I nice??' way.

I have never actually had to hire anybody, but i have suggested this idea years ago to a landlord in college, and recently to the guy I rent from now. Both times it went from "I can get a guy there in a few days" to "I have a few hours tonight I'll stop by and see what's wrong. My guy will be there tomorrow."

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 12, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You guys know what a big day tomorrow will be right?

Ya it's whopper wednesday.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ccs posted:

Invest in water. That's a useful resource that humans will probably continue to need.

Not until someone kickstarts HOylent. All the extra O's are too much effort just give me equal amounts HO and I am a daily amount of hydrated.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

15 minutes to lift off
:gizz:

Just go buy a Whopper anytime you want man, they sell them all day.

VVV JUST GIVE ME A HINT is it the US raising interest rates?

Oh Trudeau is giving the news how bad could it be? he handsome.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 16, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blah_blah posted:

I mean, we were until we got derailed by him telling us that if we didn't acknowledge that his 40 year old $250k North Van condo wasn't a savvy financial purchase, it was just renter envy.

lmao it very clearly is

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hahahaha $12 get the gently caress out

$12 is a fair entry price to begin building pint equity

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If The Market will bear 12/pint you'd be a fool to sell for less.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Has Hal2k ever actually responded to a comment or what. He is the ultimate poo poo-and-run poster. He never ever came back to defend his list of successful Canadian companies, one of his best.

Does Santa stick around for a chat? No. He's just a fat guy doing god's work.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In a lifted truck seating two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Scotch posted:

How's my truck equity?

ha-ha short bed!!