Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

miguelito posted:

Presenting "Civitas", a game that totally has curved roads: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d?ref=category
This one might not be as all-out awful as your run-of-the-mill furry genderbender deviantart-tier anime VN, I just find it... well, completely deplorable.

Basically, this dude and his anonymous "ragtag team of AAA developers [insert various franchises here]" wants to make a better SimCity.
So far, so good - it's just that his platform seems to be entirely "We're not EA, EA, ruined Sim City, EA did X, Y, Z, EA EA EA". It's even in the updates. The screenshots look skeevy as hell, the pitch reads like a bad gaming forum post.

It might just be my intuition, but backing this doesn't really seem like a sensible idea to me.

Here's a quote I thought was pretty telling that they have no clue what they are doing..

quote:

You ask how we plan to beat the features of a AAA game with only a 250k budget. Simple, we don't plan to beat ALL of their features. We are not cloning their game. We are leaving out a lot of the things that we don't see as being necessary, such as the DRM and reliance on internet only play. When you strip all of that unnecessary stuff away, you will be amazed at what even a small determined dev team can accomplish. Will we be making a game in the same genre, but of our design with major input from you guys.

Yes, if you just take out all that DRM and always on internet stuff, that shrinks the budget waaaaaay down. I mean like, I am sure Sim City 2013 would have only cost EA 250k had they done that.
I can't find solid numbers, but I doubt even the original SimCity was that cheap to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's been rotated 90 degrees?

What's with the lipstick on her teeth? I mean surely she could have had someone Photoshop that out before posting it.

Edit:
I am now getting an odd Weekend at Bernie's vibe from that last picture..she's really dead and someone is now doing her make up, posing her on the ground, etc. Explains the soulless eyes/smile.

Autechresaint has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Mar 8, 2013

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Rime posted:

Can Kickstarter itself qualify for awfulness at this point?

:psyduck:

Man that is so disappointing. When Kickstarter and Etsy first started, I thought they were fantastic ideas for people who had big ideas but little capital, but Kickstarter, like Etsy long before it, has started to focus more on the money they get out of bad or down right misleading projects rather than the standards they set out at the beginning.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Full disclosure: I know some of the people running this campaign.

So the Trans Youth Equality Foundation is an awesome group out of Portland that reaches out to Trans* youth to help them get through the harder parts of growing up. They run summer camps, support groups, education and outreach programs, probably some completely rad BBQs with name-brand sodas and stuff like that, they're all good folk. They're running a kickstarter to improve their podcast where they reach out to trans youth in rural and impoverished areas, broadcast interviews with successful trans doctors, lawyers, musicians, and other positive role models, and probably a bunch of other awesome stuff too.

They're an awesome group who do good work, and they need your help! If you've ever been an awkward teenager who didn't fit in and could have used a community that cares about you, LGBT or not, you should donate.

In case you missed it, this is the 'Awful Kickstarters' thread..so perhaps the wrong thread to post this in.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Pyros posted:

It got canceled about an hour ago :(

Anyone know what happened? Was he lying about it being 'officially licensed'?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

The fallout from this is going to be beautiful.

I wonder how they will explain how these algorithms detected a scam, when all you really needed was common sense. Maybe it's so they can try avoiding being sued, on account of maths.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

The other possibility is that she's being scammed by an "alternative medicine" doctor into undergoing unnecessary surgery.

There's not really such a thing as poison metal you can have inside you for 2 years, and then die in a few more months unless its removed now. If there was real poisonous metal it would already be too late for that to make a difference.

I am reminded of Gary Cobain who was half of the electronica group Future Sound of London. He was ill for years, so much so that he had to put the band in hiatus. He under went many eastern medical procedures that ultimately did nothing and cost him a lot of money only to find out that one of his fillings was an older filling that contained mercury and was leaking into his body. So it can happen, just not the way she/he claims it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Sound_Of_London#New_millennium.2C_new_sound

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

Even if she had the surgery done in the US as opposed to overseas, it's closer to $18-25,000 for vaginoplasty from most surgeons. Her $29,000 would have been enough if IndieGogo hadn't cancelled the fundraiser. If she had pitched it as "help me raise money for my transition" she wouldn't have gotten nearly enough; there's too much transphobia and other people have tried and failed to make their fundraising goals on IG.

..so the obvious solution is to lie about it and dupe people into funding something under the illusion that they were in a time crunch to save some poor girl's life who only had months to live?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

I can't even imagine how desperate I might get if I was in that situation. It's not cool, but it's pretty understandable.

How is it understandable? Why should anyone feel entitled to get other people to pay for their reassignment surgery through deception? If you feel strongly about wanting to get this surgery done, either raise the money yourself through honest means by saving up or talk to trangender advocacy group to see if there are options to raise money. There are a lot of people in the video game/entertainment industry who have gone through gender reassignment, surely she could have struck up a conversation with one of them.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

BoutrosBoutros posted:

Do you know what "understandable" means? It means you can understand the motivation, not that you agree with it. The physical state of her body could be a very real health problem for her, one that could have a drastic negative effect on her day to day life. Are you telling me you literally can't even understand why someone in that position might do anything they could, including things that are unethical, to finally fix that omnipresent negative effect on his or her life?

I can 'understand' it, but others like carbon thief were hanging their understanding why based on how 'anti-transgender the internet is' as justification for her actions. Yes, her actions are understandable, but they are not justifiable.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Jesus, I never heard of this happening. So this chick asking money to not die is "suspicious activity" for IndieGoGo?

Good on the PZ folks for not just taking the money and rolling with it, though.

E. Assuming we're operating on the assumption that the charity case wasn't just BS. I'm an optimist.

Because you don't have to pay upfront to get life saving emergency surgery. If she had the surgery and was asking for donations to help pay the bills her case would be more plausible, and even still if you can't pay the hospitals are usually willing to work with you on it. Worst it will do is affect your credit score. But she's playing up to everyone's ignorance of the american health care system.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

cool biRd pics posted:

I think i'm still going to need a rundown on this one though

MUST SEE!!! The Secrets the Universe Revealed! This is huge!

The update for this one is o_O..it's one huge wall of text.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245908185/extraordinary-album-ancient-secrets-sharako-528hz/posts

edit: not a wrist band, but an actual band.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Closet Cyborg posted:

Hmm. Reading that indiestone thread now. The youtube comments she posted are awful. Like, even by youtube standards. I'm still not sure why people seem to just be taking it as fact that she was scamming for SRS. If that was what she wanted, I would probably throw money at that. It seems pretty plausible that she was taken in by some quack who fed her a lovely diagnosis.

The whole situation is baffling. If it was a life or death operation there is no way that she would need the money up front to get the surgery, but she kept towing the line that she needed the money to pay for the surgery. I can understand being afraid of paying a hospital bill AFTER you get a surgical procedure, but that is something you worry about afterwards, when you are out of danger. Emergency rooms can not deny you treatment in a life/death situation.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Wait, so do we know she killed herself, or did she just threaten to and then the stream was shut down?

We don't know at this point. She threatened this before and didn't go through with it, let's hope it's just another cry for help.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Apparently games journalists had talked to Sagal and she told them it was for gender reassignment surgery, but they kept quiet as she said she'd kill herself. Destructoid's Feature Editor has been a total dickweed about on Twitter this morning.

https://twitter.com/DtoidAllistair

If she had just come out and said it was for gender reassignment, she would have gotten more interest out of both the gaming and LGBT community, but she went with this metal poisoning schtick that drew much more negative attention to the whole thing. I mean she basically blamed us (the internet) for her suicide for daring to question whether she was being completely honest, when she was flat out lying the entire time.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

This is pretty gross. So why are they asking for $125k LESS on the kickstarter than they are asking for on their own site? Kickstarter takes a cut, shouldn't they be asking for a little more? It's like they are just grasping at anything right now and hoping something sticks. How long before they start an Indiegogo page as well?

fake edit: I just answered my own question, they are probably going to keep the money they raised on their own site, hence the $125k difference..how scumbaggy...

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Yes but when they say a certain reward is 'limited' and yet add an addition 1500 on another donation site, it comes off trite. Also, they were being completely dishonest to the original people who donated on their site, and now no one really knows how much they ACTUALLY need to meet their goal..if they make 1.5 million on one site, but fail on the other, what's stopping them from keeping the money since they did make their goal. Does the game cost 1.5 million to make or 2.85?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Me in Reverse posted:

Sounds like any other socially inept 15 year old kid.

I kinda feel bad for him.

He was trying to sell junky t-shirts for $100..I don't feel that bad for him.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/918469157/coming-out-atheist?ref=card

A kickstarter trying to fund a documentary about "coming out" as an athiest.

Apparently this would cost 30,000 dollars.
I don't know what else to say

I love that the sole backer backed with $666.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Haven't seen this posted yet.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/todd-meister-ex-assistant-kickstarter-approach-raise-821-000-pay-back-article-1.1407192#ixzz2ZxbLj6Y5

So this girl stole nearly a million dollars from someone, is facing jail time, and instead of repaying it back or serving jail time, she is pleading to the general populace to try to get them to pay it for her. She complains about having a 'medical condition' (fainting spells) that will making going to jail hell on her.

She's raised $275 so far..
http://www.gofundme.com/Restitution-for-Renata

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Ugh, he's probably gonna get his funding too.

Now now Alan Smithee you have to stop hating on Kickstarters that seemingly ask for more money than is required for base overhead, some of that money is going to good use such as merchandise and other such fan outreach like-

gently caress everything :negative:

Well, at any rate, at least 50 people could potentially discover the thick stench that hangs around Knowles that the rest of us who have been to an Alamo Drafthouse premiere have been able to experience. I've sat several rows behind the dude over the course of several occasions, and it wafts and lingers.. it is positively nauseating.

Note this was ~6 years ago, so who knows if things have changed with him being married, but still it sticks in my head.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

From the description on his site about "Manna from Heaven":
"Catch as much manna as you can for the starving people..."

They can't even get their bible right, the whole point of the manna collection thing is that God commanded them to only collect what they needed, no more or else it would spoil.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Manifest posted:

Yeah, this isn't awful, it's loving awesome.

Love that the video apes The Tree of Life.
Definitely not an awful kickstarter..had he been a nobody without a long standing internet presence, yes.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Grrl Anachronism posted:

The second one is from Junji Ito's story Gyo, but I don't recognize the others.

As far as awful kickstarters go, this one is pretty terrible- a grown man drawing six-year old quality single frame comics about pets, captioned in Comic Sans. "Is Glee on tonight?" is just a preview of the fantastic dialogue we can expect from this cartoonist. I guess we should just be glad he's not asking for tens of thousands of dollars?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bombaypets/bombay-pets-coffee-table-book?ref=category
(I have no clue how it's managed to get up to nearly 3k already.)

I think the best/worst part is that he's asking $150 for the book. That's the lowest reward tier in which you get the coffee table book of lovely cat/dog drawings made by an adult man.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Zybourne Clock posted:

Maverick Hunter X isn't necessarily a bad KickStarter, but I'm including it here solely because of how hard the guy must be kicking himself right now in light of recent developments.

Why would the explosions be tied to your character's facing direction? There are several times where he killed something, turned around and a couple of frames of the explosion follow him.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Verdugo posted:

Wow. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters is Mr. Sulu. Mythbusters must not be paying the bills.

I thought you were joking at first, but wow. Yeah I find that sort of sad too. I mean the set looks like it was pretty well done, but it's still just a fan fiction thing.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
4 hours left to get in on this Smarty Ring that has no video, no actual prototypes and the four updates are very sparse..and yet it has nearly a QUARTER OF A MILLION dollars in backing when they were asking for 40k. Wtf..

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smarty-ring

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

Everyone who backed that deserves exactly what they'll get from it.

(Spoiler: They're getting exactly jack poo poo.)

I have to believe that they got some rich relative to back it for a large sum in hopes of getting others to trust the project because 'heck if it has 200k then it must be legit.' Its flexible funding so the rich backer gets his money back regardless.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

100Dachshunds posted:

Though I doubt it will get installed on the OK capital, I'm hoping it may get installed elsewhere, because goddamnit I want my picture taken sitting on his lap. At the very least, considering how activistic the Temple of Satan is, it should manage to take some major steps towards having the 10 commandments removed, and keeping the state building a religion free zone, as it should be.

Considering that robocop statue cost 60k to build, I will bet this never gets made. 20k is far too low for a seven foot statue, with materials and labor. What a waste.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Jesus Christ people, have none of you seen a poisoned well before? This is (for lack of a better word) trolling on a, level that you rarely see in the real world. The point of this statue is to be the vice that forces assholes to face the fact that either they can live in a Christian nation, or a free one.

The whole thing is a brilliant stunt, and the only way it can fail is if they actually try to build it and run out of funds.

They raised over 20k. The point is lost if they don't build the statue and actually try to get it erected. If its all a joke, then its no better than the slacktivism over kony2012.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Espy posted:

And Kony 2012 was a giant misdirection to donate money to an unaccountable charity through easy pressure tactics...

That's what I mean, this feels like an easy way to drum up support for thousands of dollars from internet atheists that will end up no where on account of ' sticking it to those christians'. I'll be impressed only when they actually go through with building this statue, rather than threatening to, because right now it rings hollow and empty.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

What the gently caress does any of this mean? $500 for a copy of the game? :psyduck:

FREE copy of the game.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

moerketid posted:

I can only imagine this is a joke, and yet...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/973736766/cybermatrix-100

I just don't even know what's going on.

Just think for a moment, someone at kickstarter actually watched the video, saw the mspaint drawings and then went ahead and approved it. Is there no serious vetting going on over there?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Lol it's not even that, it's a treat dispenser that costs 100 bucks and you plug your iPhone (not included) into it so you can teleconference with your dog (meaning you literally have a smart phone just for your dog and one with you, I guess), and then you can dispense treats.

the thing looks flimsy as gently caress. I can imagine zero dogs that just aren't going to go loving crazy and knock that poo poo over and hump it until it falls apart and then scarf up all the treats, then eat the phone.

backers
$11,723
pledged of $20,000 goal
days to go

27 days to go and they have well over half what they are asking for. Are Apple uses really this stupid?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

If you search "manga" on KS, you will truly regret it.

From his profile:
"I love to live in a fantasy world.
I graduated from Portland State University with a BA in Art.
My life evolves around my art."

Yup, you truely do live in your own fantasy world if you think this passes as good art.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

The guy who wrote the Super Action Squad postmortem ( http://www.explodingrabbit.com/news/super-action-squad-is-being-put-on-hold) removed everyone's names from the post after people pointed out how unprofessional it was to throw your entire team under the bus.

Somehow I don't think replacing specific names with "****" is any more professional.

Edit: Haha, I didn't get all the way through reading this yesterday. I just got to the part where he blames Unity for not being fun enough. This is an A+ read.

Also blames -

- Backers for being mean to him when he didn't have good news.
- Backers for having unrealistic expectations (based on what he promised)
- "Trolls"
- "Schadenfreude"
- A blogger who writes mean things about him

His heart is in the right place with that post, namely this: "To be completely honest, I think I would have just not done a Kickstarter until after I had experience releasing at least one original, commercial game."

But everything else in the post-mortem is immature as hell.

This was posted a few days ago..showing what two years of progress on this game looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pjyjExPMas

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

This has to be a money laundering thing, right? I mean they didn't even demo the product.. how does it get $250k?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

MyDX sets off my bullshit meter pretty hard, even if it works it will probably require a fairly sizable sample and will destroy it since that's how legit laboratory testing on THC content does it.

Something pronounced 'my dicks' is not reputable?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

A musician married to Neil Gaiman with a long history of making statements similar to ones the art students at your college did.

My opinion of Gaiman plummeted once he aligned himself with her. I mean of all people..she seems so hot-topic cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
What's stopping the owner of that watch scam from putting up 20k of their own money to get the ball rolling for that very same reason, that if people see other people donating then it must be something worth backing.