Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I think you are misinterpreting that scene, especially because - like you even said - it would require her to have memories from her future self. I think she just saw something about the Doctor (possibly his name) and she wondered why he was keeping it a secret.

Referencing the Time War may have been a way to foreshadow its role later in the season though, I will definitely buy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Moffat has a poor track record when it comes to showing "ALL THE ENEMIES ARE HERE OH NO"(Pandorica excepted), so I'm not exactly hopeful that this one will be much better.

Harlock posted:

It's interesting he keeps reusing that element though of all the baddies teaming up. Like that's his only idea of how to raise the stakes.

Wait, I am super, super confused. He has a poor track record of having all of the enemies join forces, with the exception of the only episode in which that actually ever happened? In what other episode did he "reuse" that idea?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Question. If this is, and has always been, the Doctor's last Regeneration, why would he fake regenerate with the robot body when River shoots him?

I think this one at least is passable because, if he is the robot, why would he fake regenerate anyway? He obviously wants to hide the fact that this is his last life in addition to hiding the fact that that wasn't him.

I don't have a good explanation for the Cyber Planner, although I thought he was able to hide some things from him?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Hasn't Matt Smith almost-regenerated a few times? And I think he's thought that he was regenerating. And when people try to kill him, they go out of their way to make sure to do it in a way that can keep him from regenerating.

It'd be a bit odd if they suddenly revealed this was his last lifetime, but from interviews with Moffat, it does look like that's the way they're going. Oh well.

Well, I think there were only the few incidents which Burkion mentioned: he did start to regenerate at Lake Silencio but that wasn't even him it was a robot so it was faked no matter what; he mentioned the possibility of regenerating to the Cyber Planner but didn't; a few times it was mentioned that he was going to be killed by something he couldn't regenerate from (River's kiss, the Time Lord disease on that planet in "The Girl Who Waited").

I frankly don't think it changes much, and actually puts an interesting spin on these other incidences. Like, of course the Doctor would lie and be like "oh sure yep that poison is regeneration proof for some reason" instead of revealing that he was on his last life and make it easier for his enemies to kill him.

Like we could've had a season where we knew it was the Doctor's last life and have that hanging over his head and did a bunch of stories about how this time he really can't regenerate you guys seriously! It feels like we now had those stories but without the constant wink wink nudge nudge and we can wrap up the whole "the Doctor only has twelve regenerations" thing neatly and quickly without it becoming an ongoing "thing".

Honest question: for those of you who aren't Moffat fans, would you rather the "12 regenerations" thing become an ongoing thread during Capaldi's run (which will at least be overseen by Moffat at the start) or would you rather it get resolved in a single episode?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CumFart Gurantee posted:

content: I've not watched hardly any Classic Who, but is the Time War a New Who creation? Did Moffat kinda sorta retcon it all away in the special?

Time War is entirely New Who, like computer parts said the bulk of it happened while the show was off the air. It was basically a way to make The Doctor the only Time Lord and simplify things. Moffat didn't so much retcon the thing as to make the conclusion more open ended so that the other Time Lords and Gallifray can be brought back in some capacity in the future.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

What could have been, if Moffat could manage a budget.

I actually think this worked out for the better. The concept art for both Nephew and Uncle are way too sinister looking for the tone of the episode, you are supposed to know something weird is up but you are not supposed to immediately see these guys as threatening (and they aren't themselves obviously).

That also seems like a hard concept to get right with anything short of a movie budget. I could easily see this going the other way and this having gotten made only for people to complain about how cheesy the rubber mask looked.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Other spoiler threads don't exist because the fan base are big babies who can't handle two months of preview news to "go in fresh".

HAH! I just realized this is true; the only other spoiler thread that exists is for GoT and that's because of book readers who don't give a poo poo since they know the plot in advance.

I am not worried about the Christmas Special for a handful of reasons:

1) Plot synopses always sound loving ridiculous, especially for sci-fi, especially for Doctor Who
2) Matt Smith has been knocking it out of the loving park lately, and with this being his "last" life and taking place over 900 years I think we will get some cool scenes of him changing over the years
3) Capaldi seems awesome and even if the episode is poo poo everyone will forget that when he regenerates and we see his first moments as The Doctor
4) No River
5) We all know in advance that the 12 regeneration limit needs to be addressed eventually and that that particular story arch won't end with The Doctor dying permanently. Doing it now gets it out of the way so we don't have a whole season(s) of "oh no you guys now I seriously can't regenerate". Also, whatever B.S. hand-wavey sci-fi reason they come up with to give him more regenerations is not likely to be satisfying anyway so who cares if it is nano-machines or deus-ex machina or standing in line at the Time Lord equivalent of the DMV to apply for more lives.

I dunno. I guess I just don't see the point in going into something with poo poo expectations, I feel like when you do you go in with the attitude of picking things apart and so of course you won't enjoy it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

I think people are more just bored about people complaining about their low expectations based on unverified spoilers rather than offended. I still haven't seen a single explanation as to why the spoilers are inherently terrible, but most criticism amongst fans just tends to be about pointing at things and going "isn't this poo poo?" and assuming everyone agrees with you.

Plus there's always the excitement to disappointment of seeing that there are 20 or so new posts and thinking "hey something cool might have been announced!" and then seeing that somebody has just finally gotten around to posting their opinion on how the thing announced/leaked a few weeks ago looks like total poo poo.

I am not saying the thread should be totally dead between announcements but things like speculation or smaller leaks/casting news/rumors are more interesting to read than trash talk.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It's going to be a pair of aviator glasses, a t-shirt that says "I heart River" and a pair of boxer shorts with "Women are needy" written across the crotch. A "Steampunk" charcoal wristwatch that summons the Paternoster gang will be included.

He also wears a bathrobe over all of this and is constantly carrying a White Russian instead of his signature sonic screwdriver. Also instead of Capaldi the Doctor is now played by Jeff Bridges.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Harlock posted:

Why does everything have to be a big cliffhanger mystery. Why can't you just solve a story in one season.

He said penultimate episode of next series, meaning the second to last episode, so presumably that can still be solved in the finale of that season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

but really how much does Amy change from start to finish, besides puberty?

1) Realizes her love for Rory and marries him, and 2) stops worshipping the Doctor as some kind of God and instead realizes he is a flawed man.

Like the second point in particular is a major theme in 11's run. The Doctor visits her when she's 8 and she becomes obsessed with him but he continually lets her down over the course of their adventures. The Girl Who Waited is basically their entire relationship in a single episode, except with the opposite outcome (blaming the Doctor instead of accepting her fate).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't mind them doing a classic Robin Hood cliche but a good episode of Who would do it a second time only in order to subvert it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Into the Dalek had Rusty suicide bombing the Dalek cruiser cut.
Robot of Sherwood had the beheading cut.

The latter explicitly due to ISIS, the former for unknown reasons.

TinTower posted:

suicide bombing

is my guess

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah fair enough, just my guess as to why they removed it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Congratulations, you're the first person in this thread to chime in with

:siren: PREEMPTIVE OUTRAGE :siren:

over something that has yet to, and most likely won't, happen. Please collect your prize on the way out.

I don't think "seems a little sexist" comes off as all that outraged.

Maybe you are the one who is freaking out unnecessarily because you thought you saw an SJW boogie-man?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

It'd also be kind of... I guess distasteful, given that when filming the 50th Moffat kept harping on "I don't want to feature the old Doctors because the show is about looking forward, not back!" only to then go on to make the big bad of the next season probably the dumbest possible callback to the old show.

Er....distasteful is a really odd word to use.

Also, not using old Doctors in the 50th was obviously because they are all old as dirt now, and a few of them have passed (plus Eccleston was out anyway), so it wouldn't be the same as seeing all the Doctors in their prime come together; the "looking forward" thing was a polite way of dancing around this. And even so, the 50th still featured Tom Baker and a bunch of clips of the old Doctors in the climactic scene. And Moffat has always been about callbacks to the old series, definitely much more than RTD was (I guess with the exception of bringing Sarah Jane back).

Like, I agree with your first point, and most of what people around here say about Moffat, but there is no denying that the guy is absolutely in love with the old series, and wants to call back to it every chance he gets. There is only so much you can do with a bunch of really old actors and dated looking clips, so we mostly see the occasional clip montage (like in the 11th hour and the Name of the Doctor) or monsters/ideas from old serials.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timby posted:

Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, The Master, the Macra, Autons, Sontarans, Nestene Consciousness?

Well, I figured the monsters and general mythos was a given. I am talking more about direct references and allusions to the old Doctors themselves. RTD obviously brought back Sarah Jane, and then there was the notebook from Human Nature/Family of Blood. Moffat has shown the older Doctors on screen in clip form on several occasions (off the top of my head: the 11th Hour, Nightmare in Silver, Name of the Doctor, the 50th) and seems less shy about pointing out that Doctor was 11 other guys previously.

I unfortunately don't know enough about the old series (seen like 10-ish serials and gotten some backstory from a friend) so I might miss direct allusions when/if RTD has done them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Omg, Missy is Handles??

This makes the Doctor mistaking Clara for Handles in the season premiere foreshadowing, instead of just a weird joke.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

You're going to have to ask your dad about that when you're older, sport.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Go on fun adventures with the Doctor and not get weighed down by a dumb metaplot?

I don't often agree with the above poster but holy poo poo this would be the most preferable outcome by a mile.

Now that we have had a season exploring Clara in more depth and showing how she deals with a transition to a new Doctor, let's focus on the Doctor himself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

RTD did recently make the rather fatuous and fate-tempting statement that Doctor Who can never be cancelled again. :doh:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rtd-its-now-impossible-for-doctor-who-to-ever-be-axed-70955.htm

It's obviously pretty dumb to say it can never be cancelled. But now that it has international appeal and a pretty firm cultural hold, it is hard to imagine it being cancelled for as long as it was before, and especially it ever being permanently cancelled. Like I think it would need to have a string of really bad seasons before people lost interest enough for it to be cancelled, and then it would probably be retooled and relaunched within a few years.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

That's the thing though, you should not touch up on the history of this character, except in extremely vague ways. Any more and you take away from the mystery.

All we really got from listen was that the Doctor was a child at one point. And I guess he was scared of the dark, like most children.

I feel like the stuff from RTD's run with the Master's backstory revealed more about the Doctor's own history than this did. I don't know how much of that (Time Lord training stuff and the Doctor and Master being childhood chums) was already known from the original series tho, I am not as well versed in that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

He's afraid of the dark, but also likes sleeping in old barns located hundreds of yards away from the nearest dwelling.

Fair enough. I guess the retcon was that the Doctor was a bit slow as a child.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PassTheRemote posted:

They buried the Pale Man from pan's labyrinth! Those dicks.

don't worry he grew like 30 friends to keep him company

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That movie was dumb but his Harrison Ford impression was spooky good

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm legitimately surprised nobody posted this quote followed by a bunch of hair pulling and hand wringing that we could have been rid of Moffat:

Steven Moffat posted:

I’ll be honest, I brought River Song back in because I thought there was a possibility I’d never write [Doctor Who] again so that’d be my goodbye. But also, I really fancied it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm tired of the same handful of characters showing up every season.

I don't think this is a really valid complaint anymore. River hasn't appeared since the end of Matt Smith's run, and according to what little we've heard this sounds like a swansong for her. The paternoster gang only showed up at the beginning of last season and allegedly won't appear anytime soon. The UNIT crew seems to be the new recurring guests I guess, and now Rigsy has appeared twice.

As usual, this is another thing that was a pattern during RTD's run (and was worse in my opinion) but gets complained about under Moffat because

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So is this ultimately the reason the season is delayed until next year? Like they want starved fans to watch this crap instead?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yes, please tell us what you posted prior, Marcus

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lmao jesus christ the original letter was literally "won't somebody think of the children?!?"

Yeah cause if the Doctor is a woman you might need to have some awkward conversations with your kids. Like how a ten thousand year old shape changing alien can be a lady sometimes :rolleyes:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"You know kids, so set in their ways and terrified of change!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. Whatever criticism you have of RTD his cast of side characters was much beloved and memorable than Moffats. I can't imagine anyone giving a poo poo about Capaldi visiting anyone.

It was kinda cool that RTD had more of a continuity between the companions and could bring them back for guest episodes, I def miss that. But if you think Amy and Rory are less beloved and memorable than like Martha Jones or Rose's mom or Donna then just c'mon dude

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

He said side characters my man.

Amy and Rory are not side characters. That'd be like, their parents.

Rory's dad would almost count if he was actually in anything much.

That's fair I guess, I thought the reference to visiting the companions like 10 did at the end of RTD's run implied that he was talking specifically about companions/recurring supporting cast. I don't remember him visiting many people outside of the core companions.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Capaldi regenerates into the Valeyard who fucks around for a bit before the next Doctor shows up with a Capaldi from the past who they defeat together, then the new Doctor mind wipes Capaldi and the Valeyard regenerates into himself

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah but LOL if the BBC or whoever mandated that they need to find a way to get women back into the show so they went full Twilight with it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I still want to give the new showrunner and Doctor a chance but man if it is a boring choice I am not going to give it a ton of leeway

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've seen nothing he's done previous, what makes him so boring (aside from being another generic looking white guy)? Not arguing, just genuinely curious. Is he a poo poo actor?

What the other people said. His most notable role is being pretty forgettably unfunny in a sappy movie from over a decade ago. Maybe he has grown as an actor and is going to bring some Eccleston-esque pathos to the role or some Smithian energy or something entirely new? I think he will be a slightly older Tennant redux.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hahah yes

Can't wait to wade into the open sewer of online responses, it's going to be a fun day

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It is an absolute mystery to me why people cannot tell the difference between portraying an actor in a biopic and portraying a character that actor played in a work of fiction. Like, even if you disagree that they shouldn't recast the First Doctor, it really can't be difficult to see that portraying an actor and portraying a character are two different things. Jim Carrey played Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon, and he did a few scenes as Latka, but it doesn't mean that if they ever have a Taxi reunion, Andy Kaufman can just show up.

People can tell the difference just fine they just don't give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Ood companion. A sonic Ood. All Ood soundtrack. Oodles of Oods, all the way down.

Check your lease man! Because you're living in Ood City

• Locked thread