Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I have a lot of friends who buy into 9/11 truther stuff, water fluoridation, etc... lately one of my friends has become obsessed with this stupid sun gazing crap, as it "undoes the calcification of the pineal gland caused by fluorine," as well as constantly bugging everyone he knows about 9/11. His only source is a sun gazing web site, which has absolutely zero sources and paypal links everywhere begging for donations. No matter what I say, he has already gazed at the sun for 30 second a few times. I don't know what to do anymore; It's not like I work in the healthcare field or anything, what do I know. These people are like religious zealots, anything that doesn't fit their narrative is "what the MAN wants you to believe!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

"one world order"

I don't get all the new world order crap, especially with the "signs" and poo poo everywhere (dollar bill, etc). Why would these guys leave hints out in the open like that? HOW CLEVER OF YOU TO PICK UP ON THESE SUBLIMINAL SYMBOLS

My idiot truther friend was showing me some video of the new World Trade Center building making some weird rear end noises, and mentioned, "Why do you think it's called One World Trade? Kinda sounds like One World Order, doesn't it?"

No, no it doesn't.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

In reality, they wouldn't. The New World Order or Freemasons or whoever would not run their organization like the Crips and put their iconography on everything while trying to remain a secret. There would be no evidence, there would be no trace, there would be no codes. But conspiracy theorists think that they've managed to crack the code and have figured something out that John Q. Public are too dumb to figure out and find a pattern that was never there.

That's the argument I always try to make, I just get a dumb "hiding in plain sight" type of response.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It just whistles. Lots of buildings do it here. It's almost as if air rapidly moving through alternately open and closed spaces could create sound.

Yeah, he brought it up originally because it just makes some bizarre noise, we were talking about using sampling some of the sounds from the video. Of course he did make some stupid comment about it having to do with "the truth" eventually.

eggyolk posted:

Does this friend have any physical/tangible hobbies? Are they in a relationship? Are their parents still together?

Yes, no, no.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Ask those people if they've ever been diagnosed with autism. A boss at my old job had a son who was autistic, said he'd pick up things like hidden codes and signs all the time because his mind focused on those things specifically.
If they dare to answer yes, just nod and move on

I've known this guy for half my life and other than the conspiracy bullshit he's an okay guy. I really do think he has undiagnosed autism, though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

some idiot posted:

People who go to medical school are brainwashed. They have to follow what they are told or else. Medical school never cultivate independence and thinking, they insist on conformity. - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2014/02/studies-prove-without-doubt-that.html#sthash.pPTVeXb3.dpuf

This is everything wrong with the whole god drat "naturopathic" movement. You know what we call natural remedies that have been proven to work? Medicine.

I work in a hospital, I saw someone a while ago who had been receiving naturopathic chemotherapy to treat stage IV breast cancer. Her entire chest was basically a gaping wound. BUT WESTERN MEDICINE DOESN'T WORK

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I just saw this on Facebook.

God dammit. Just last week I was thinking how weird it was that I hadn't heard any conspiracies regarding the Titanic.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Elysiume posted:

This is the best demonstration I've ever seen.

Case closed.

Amazing. I'm posting this on my truther friends' Facebook pages then going to work and ignoring the inevitable shitstorm that follows.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

This is the worst thing ever. I have a friend who's gone totally loving nuts over the last couple years and no matter what we're talking about, he always steers the conversation towards 9/11, federal reserve banking, fluoride, etc. I've stopped arguing with him because it's useless, and just tell him he's acting the same way religious nut jobs act. That usually shuts him up for a while.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

duck monster posted:

Time for conspiracy theorizing on XANAX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNRvnZ8ke6w

The combination of paul mccartney is dead, full on paranoid-schizo magical thinking and the slurring australian accent makes this an extra crazy listen.

Enjoy!

Oh that picture in the still seems to be implying that Paul McCartney is in fact Barack Obamas mother. Yes, this video is THAT crazy

edit: Oh gently caress, this is completely barking. Apparently what it is is paul mccartney , barack obamas mother, dave davies from the kinks and so on are all children of alister crowley .

Holy poo poo

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

I didn't even bother looking at the comments because :eyeroll:

On a tangental note: latest Weird Al video has lots of our favorite conspiracy theories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

My idiot truther friend posted this video in response to the new Weird Al song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGt-vjefKk

:stare:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

My idiot truther friend just posted this on Facebook. I'm trying to figure the best way to tell him he might be schizophrenic.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I've noticed a trend of crazy conspiracy-believing people claiming that their opponents are all paid shills.

Bitcoin is an easy example, if you follow any of the bitcoin threads here then you've seen tons of people from /r/bitcoin subreddit who authentically believe that every single person who criticizes bitcoin is being paid by banks or the government to hate bitcoin.

I've also seen it with anti-vaxxers. I've personally been accused of being paid off by pharmaceutical companies because I don't believe that vaccines contain mind control serum or whatever the gently caress.

Where I live there's a ballot initiative to put a moratorium on growing GMOs, with serious jailtime and huge fines levied on all offenders. What most people around here don't realize is that every papaya tree in the region is a GMO variety, and a lot of people like to grow them as decoration or as part of a garden, so a lot of people are going to be unknowingly hosed if this law passes. There are also public documents showing that this initiative is almost entirely funded by organic farming groups from out of state, but the whole thing poses as a grass roots movement. Local small farmers have even been speaking out in the local newspapers about the bill. But if you even raise a concern about the wording of the initiative then you're a shill paid by Monsanto, according to the anti-GMO group

Have you guys noticed this sort of conspiratorial accusation with other insane groups?

Let me tell you about an idiot former friend of mine!

This guy has totally gone off the deep end over the last couple years. It started with 911, now almost all he talks about is federal reserve banking, big pharma, etc. He claims that Robin Williams' death was really an Illuminati distraction from the police brutality in Ferguson. He's become obsessed with Paul Pantone's GEET reactor, and spends a lot of time modifying his truck's engine to increase its gas mileage (instead of doing something like buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle). I got into an argument with him because he was convinced pouring nail polish remover in his gas tank would help his engine run more efficiently.

Anyway, I was eating dinner with him and his sister one night, and he started telling me that "they" (his words) had people out there "creating fake Facebook accounts and spreading disinformation on the internet." When I asked him for any kind of source or proof, he told me that somebody on an internet forum called him an idiot for considering the nail polish trick. That was his entire argument; somebody disagreed with him on the internet, therefor they are a paid disinformation agent!

He also liked to argue with me about cancer treatment, and tell me about these miracle drugs like DCA (I'm an oncology nurse). About a month ago he posted some article on Facebook about a doctor who had been diagnosing people with cancer (who didn't actually have it) and treating them with chemotherapy, citing it as "evidence of western medicine profiteering." He tagged me and asked my opinion. When I called him out on it and told him it's irresponsible for someone with no medical training to be advocating unproven cancer treatments, he called me a close-minded sell out and blocked me!

It's unbelievable how much these idiots love to lambast us sheeple for believing the official story, but they eat up any loving thing they read online that supports their views.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I got blocked on facebook for ripping into birther nonsense from a college friend. Some people just go off the deep end.

I had a friend of 15 years block me because I called him out on some stupid Big Pharma bullshit. Of course he also accused me of "loving to hate on his views" because I didn't buy into his loving conspiracy crap.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Conspiracy Thread: I'm fine. I assure you. You're the one with all the problems. 

Man, y'all are ridiculous. We need a new conspiracy to talk about, arguing with that brony is getting old.

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-theories/2014/08/this-is-why-they-killed-robin-williams-2464742.html

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

:suspense:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's some more crazy poo poo that's popped up. http://thespiritscience.net/2015/01/04/alien-species-a-z-part-2/

I don't know what a "theoretical documentary" is, but apparently they're composed of a bunch of random video game footage edited together and are narrated with text-to-speech.

:stonklol:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

In conspiracy theories, it is very important to recognize all sides and have an open mind.

Right, along with "doing your own research" and "due diligence."

Why do conspiracy theorists thrive on all these buzzwords?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Caconym posted:

Follow Captain Carl the Chemtrail Pilot on facebook, his trolling of these guys is fantastic.

This is fantastic.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Nolanar posted:

I could call you names and wait for you to call me names, but gently caress it, let's do this. What 9/11 references in Back to the Future are you talking about, and why would someone put them there?

:munch:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I can't wait to spread this all over Facebook :dance:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

OMG
I was making a "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams" joke with a co-worker when another co-worker turned it into a serious discussion.... And he brought up WTC7.
GDI I hate even knowing a lot of the 9/11 conspiracy theroy stuff I do, and I really hate talking about it now.

I do like how I keep cutting him off on his train of thought, though. "Yeah, you know WTC7 that fell, that wasn't hit by a plane?" "Yeah, the one that was hit by massive amounts of debris from the towers' collapse?" and he would pause for a moment and couldn't really pick it back up.
And yes, I had to do the "You're right, you don't have to melt steel in order to have it start to fail!"

I really loving hate that they act like most of us sheeple somehow don't know Building 7 fell and they're so loving smug about it.

"You probably didn't know Building 7 also collapsed, but it wasn't hit by a plane" :smug:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

duck monster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWywnP7m2c

Vice linked this. Spectacular insanty. Hes ranting about new yorkers eating babies, the earth being flat and pretty much every conspiracy you can think of.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

El Puerco posted:

Hi fag, the building falls faster than gravity due to the lack of air inside the building. If the air remains in the building, there will be extra mass for the falling mass to overcome making it fall slower than it would fall in free fall state. The speed of gravity is the free fall state, retard, anything less is less than the speed of gravity, retard. By the way, it is about 120 MPH in our atmosphere near sea level, free fall, that takes about 3 seconds to attain rocket scientist. A building cannot fall faster than gravity without controlled demolition.

It is the vacuum created by the hi explosive chemical reaction that allows the building to fall faster than gravity.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

• Locked thread