Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

And Ghostface was originally in the first Iron Man movie, plus clearly Peter Parker got the name Spider-Man from Inspector Deck this is some rabbit hole we are digging into.

Ghostface should do more tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPZyX8wN8RU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Am I missing something? That's the guy from Dodgeball.

lol confused him with somebody else. I'm dumb.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CW comic book shows are inept soap operas. When they should be fun, action packed soap operas, like the comic books.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Constantine would have been peeeerfect as a HBO show. Vertigo was basically its comic equivalent.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

I quite enjoyed the show. I think it would have been better as a premium (think HBO) show but that's life.

They could easily make this on the CW though, John has enough relationship/trust angst for any five or six CW verse shows and his standard decision making method generally makes Barry/Oliver look downright reasonable and responsible. There's no stupid decision they could have him make that you couldn't crack open a comic and find a much worse decision just by flipping the page. "Does something stupid with huge unintentional consequences" is baked right into the character.

Jeez that would be my nightmare.

Just to put my cards on the table, Constantine (or Hellblazer) are some of my favorite comics, and plumbing through books like All His Engines (which could work as a season by itself, a neo-noir ten episode block taking place in LA, complete with demon movie producers and everything) are treasured memories from my childhood (and even adulthood, these things hold the poo poo up).

Constantine works because of the stuff it implies, how it lets its settings imbue the plot with added significance, from the perfidy and perversity of English aristrocracy, to the pure anger of artist types against Thatcher, to the familiarity between powerful beings in any realm and the indifference they treat those lower than themselves.

Constantine also works because of how goddamn good the writing was. Mike Carey,Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, it was murderer's row of top tier creating types allowed to go hog wild on anything they drat well please, as long as they kept the atmosphere of dread and creeping terror that is the Hellblazer imprint.

The idea of giving the property to the poo poo heap hacks running the Greg Berlanti comic verse would be depressing as hell, and frankly a travesty.

Give it to someone (anyone) with chops, a record of making good drama (even if not supernatural) in either movies or TV, and give them total creator control. It's the only way to do the property right.

Also limited episodes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Spike is still one of my all time favorite characters on TV. I was a little bummed when they made him "Sex symbol" in later Buffy seasons, but he was just so great. Back in the early days of computers I had a bunch of .WAV files that I'd listen to constantly. "It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell all of my friends. They don't have a rock this big." is one of my all time favorite lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6npX-3fqWs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Saw a news item today that the WGN Scalped series will have a majority Native American cast. My first thought (after, well duh) was, I had no idea that they are making a Scalped series! Love the book, but it's very much in the "anti-hero protagonist behaving badly and self destructively" with a side of "overshadowed by the more charismatic and interesting antagonist" that is about half of all prestige TV these days. Also I really hated WGN's Manhattan, am pretty meh on Salem, though I have heard good things about Underground.

Gonna have to disagree with you re Manhattan, loved that show, and I mourn it weekly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ah yes, another esteemed alumni of the classicaly beloved movie Crossroads

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It comes out alright.

Better quality but with a lot of the blood's color gone:

Brighter blood, more artifacty:

If you aren't going to get this muscle like this I"d love to.

edit; Yeah, lame costume. It's a Singer production alright.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

From a reddit post claiming that IF has the greatest disparity between critics and fans.

Few obvious warnings are:
-this is a sum of up or down ratings, not a 2 star vs 8 star rating. So a kind of thumbs down is no different from a mega thumbs down here
-lol internet polls
-obviously there is no objective measure of quality

I'm wondering how much the initial negative reviews of the show drove down expectations. Around here at least, this show seems to be getting a lot less flack than JJ or DDs2, though most of the discussion about it is about how it's not as bad as all the critics said. No one is saying it's great, and there seems to be a consensus that it's the worst of the four, but not by a huge margin. I've seen opinions here and elsewhere from people that really like it and really hate it, but most people seem to think it's fine, not great but not horrible (which is an odd place for a consensus to land on the internet where everything is either amazing or horrendous, especially w/r/t to genre stuff) I wonder if there were no reviews before hand if fans would be more critical of it.

I think nerds and superhero fans (repeating myself, haha) have low standards as long as they are getting what they want, more superhero fare.

People will still defend Smallville here.

Fans as a whole were never going to totally hate on IF, no matter how bad it was going to turn out. You just have to pick people who you respect to listen to when spending your valuable free time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

redbackground posted:

Nightcrawler?

Aquarius is Marvel Jesus.

Do yourself a fav and look him up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Did you mean The Aquarian? Because Aquarius is a lame Zodiac dude, and The Aquarian looked like Jesus with Superman powers.

That's who I meant. Also with five foot long sleeves, that guy was great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I know, I've just been marathoning a lot of garbage US tv, and all of them have an episode where there are either subtle or overt hints that Christian faith is real and characters go through an arc about that. I want to see the House episode or X-files episode where muslim faith is given that consideration.

One cool thing about Supernatural is how much it goes into the opposite direction. God's such a dick.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It was one of those terrible syndicated shows like Cleopatra 2525 or anything Bruce Cambell appeared in during the 90's.

It was a step above that, with good production values (for the time), good actors (the bad guy, the nerdy and handsome sidekick, who was also in Nip/Tuck), a certain level of seriousness with the subject....

But it was kinda undone by an inability to not go full bore with the material. It was never as cool as you would hope it would be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Good production values? Bro, Mutant X was hot garbage.

Talkin about Witchblade.

And good for the time, I said.

Buddy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Then why did you quote my post which was in response to Mutant X?

Guy.

Cuz I got confused.

Bro.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Inhumans premise:

“After the Royal Family of Inhumans is splintered by a military coup, they barely escape to Hawaii where their surprising interactions with the lush world and humanity around them may prove to not only save them, but Earth itself.”

It's a magical place.

Seriously?

It's an Earth Girls Are Easier scenario?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scott Buck - Making the Amazing fit for Sitcom Viewing

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I mean​, even I'm drinking​ the AoS Kool aid this season!

Tried to get on a few eps back, just didn't grab me. Might want to try later, but there's enough good TVs as there is.

Edit: I always find it a little bit funny there's some people in this thread that constantly rave about it and recommend it whole-heartedly, when at best its an incredibly divisive show. Like, if you're recommending stuff you'd want to do it with stuff with a less narrow appeal. iZombie is a better recommendation.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 12, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dexo posted:

Turns out people recommend stuff they like.

Yeah, but its an incredibly specific thing to like, that necessitates a love/tolerance for soap opera plotlines, cheap budgets, and standard comic book finales/climaxes. There are people recommending AoS without any of those caveats for people not as plugged into comic books as they might be, and I think that's a little misleading.

Like I can recommend Legion to anyone, but if I'm gonna recommend Flash S1 to anyone, I throw in alot of "uh buts" and "if you're into that sort of thing."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Puck's a goddamn intercontinental treasure and the first franchise/multimedia conglomerate that realizes it will make billions. Billions!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Peter Dinklage as Puck, right? RIGHT?

I know I can't be the first, second, tenth, hundredth, or even thousandth person to point that out.

:bisonyes:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe some reviewers said the Krypton part of Man of Steel was "kinda interesting I guess", and a man with an oversized cigar got really excited.

What this thing needs to put it into the stratosphere (kryptosphere? Note that) is some loving giant spiders.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Here's their statement

So how does that translate to streaming TV? SVOD might qualify for that? Is it under the Pay TV umbrella? I just don't know?!??!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ha, the great centerpiece of imagination is not needing a quarter, peak Singer

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TwoPair posted:

They run across another Hawkman later in the timeline who has been brainwashed by Savage to mess with them. They fix the brainwashing (which is weird because they all seem really emotionally invested in a guy they hardly knew (and who technically, none of them have even met in this iteration). At the end the Hawks fly off together because they're so happy in a Savage-free world, thank God. They never address how this has to ruin their timeline, since there must be a Hawkgirl in the future who is going to die sad and alone (they meet a past Hawkgirl who makes it very explicit that no matter how in love she may be with Atom/another guy, she'll never be as happy as with Hawkman)

God LoT season 1 was such poo poo. I'll never forgive them for killing Captain Cold aka the best character in the entire Arrowverse.

Whoah what's this now? Was thinking of giving the second season a shot but this puts a wrench into things.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Madkal posted:

I just finished watching Legion and I thought it was some grade A TV. Really well made and interestingly done stuff with great characters and story and style.

I was just curious about outside of David and the main villain were there any other characters lifted from the comic books? When it comes to any media based on comics my brain tries to find easter eggs and references and such, but for Legion it couldn't really do that. I kind of like the idea of original characters for shows, especially seeing that you can make new characters with unique mutant powers.

The Eye was in Simon Spurrier's run of Legion.

David's Father and Shadow King most def.

That's about it. There are plenty of other versions of Division 13 in the comics tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haha from the Sepinwall article

quote:

Iron Fist (fighting alongside Jessica Henwick’s Colleen Wing), who’s unfortunately just as much of a petulant charisma vacuum as you remember. (Even when he means to sound threatening, he comes across like he’s annoyed you mixed up his pizza toppings.)

Def not too excited about this series, which is a shame.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It's really shocking how Supergirl managed to really nail their Superman. They should really give Tyler Hoechlin his own show.

That small dude?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My god if they made a Wildstorm tv universe.

Sleeper. The Authority. Fuckin Planetary.

But Kirkman?

IDK

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

The deal is with Skybound, not Image.

I don't know how I feel about this?!?!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I don't think it would be possible to make a licensing deal with Image as all the creators own the rights to their own stuff, you'd have to have literally every artist and writer sign on.

It's prob the most interesting comic universe out there. Prophet alone would blow people away.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Orville thread is pretty magical

you weren't kidding

quote:

So I enjoyed the hell out of that. Yes, the jokes felt weak, and it shows they were basically all in the trailers, but the more Trek stuff was good. It all looks fantastic (I love the cycling red lights on the ceiling for red alert),

e:

zoux posted:

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen are EPing an adaption of The Boys for Amazon. It was a straight to series order with Eric Kripke writing the pilot.

So, we'll see if anyone else reports it.

Huh, though Adam Mckay was working on it.

Their work on Preacher doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I really need to rewatch Legion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvcujkpp68

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still think Greengrasses idea to make it contemporary was a better way to go.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

So, like, should I actually go back and watch Gotham? Because I fell off that show hard like 4 episodes in because it seemed bad and I was still bitter it wasn't Gotham Central, but ya'll are making it sound good. Or at least entertaining.

Nah some people have too much free time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

There's some analysts saying they need to dump ABC. Probably the same ones telling them to drop ESPN. Both are lodestones around Disney's neck.

They've done some layoffs at ABC, but Disney has repeatedly said selling ABC (or ESPN) is not on the table for now.

Why would ESPN be a lodestone? Its revenue is declining compared to previous years, but its still a huge money maker AFAIK

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

who's the new showrunner for IF?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

I think 25-50 year old comic fan is a pretty big audience at this point.

Like I said, I'm too old for the show, but htinking it right now, I don't think I would have been into Runaways as a teenager.

I think it would have benefited as being a 30 min drama, get rid of the melodramatics and all. There's a reason why the comic got into the meat of the plotline relatively quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hawk looks fantastic. Dove less so.