Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Chamberk posted:

I always felt like the best finale is The Shield's. Not everyone gets what they deserve, but the tragic way everything falls out feels like the only way it could have ended.

As depressing as it was, the finale of Southland was actually kind of perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Dipping back into the TV director chat for a moment, it really all goes back to the showrunner. Typically, a few directors get attached to a show as an exec producer (maybe the director who did the pilot, but usually someone less high-profile) and rotate shows through the season. At the end of the season, the staff shuffles, producers/writers renegotiate deals or leave the show, and the next season might have a different roster of folks. As long as that showrunner is in place, has his/her vision clearly delineated through the ranks, and has set the tone for the show, then you really shouldn't notice much difference between episodes.

Those one or two producer/directors do a majority of shows for the season for practical purposes (and it also depends on the budget for the show, how much is allotted for hiring), but if the episodes are effects heavy or need major prep (lots of VFX or practical effects or extreme locations) then those directors need breathing room and one-off directors are usually brought in. That's when the actor's casual conversations with the showrunner about dipping their hands in the directing pool come to fruition. And if a show has been around for ages and is running on a well established formula (like the later seasons of Star Trek TNG) then the cast gets a chance in the director's chair (Gates McFadden, LeVar Burton, Patrick Stewart) along with other random folks looking to get their feet wet (Adam Nimoy). Sorry about all the parentheses.

Really, the best reason to keep bringing in different directors is to keep things fresh. A new voice, a new perspective, willing to play in someone else's established world could bring new details and angles to something that might be on the verge of growing stale.

And another aspect of TV direction is the pilot - a feature director can moonlight on a TV pilot for a month or so, make a chunk of change, and then attach himself as a producer for the life of the series. If you are Bryan Singer, and that show is House, then you have made a fortune for (relatively) little effort.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Manos del Sino posted:

I passed the Santa Anita racetrack over the holidays and remembered how much I liked Luck. A shame about all the horses dying and nobody watching, because I was a pretty big fan.

We actually started going to that racetrack out of morbid curiosity after watching the pilot for Luck. I had no idea horse racing was still a thing, and now I love it. Thanks HBO!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

enuma elish posted:

Assuming you're talking about Mamie Gummer - it basically became impossible for me to watch her in anything when I found out that she's Meryl Streep's daughter. There's something really disconcerting about watching her knowing that.

She is amazing on The Good Wife. She's a recurring guest star and really holds her own among the rest of the outstanding cast.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is anyone planning on making a Kroll Show season 2 thread? If not, I'll make one this weekend.

Please do, because that Cake Train opening with C-Czar nearly killed me.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 16, 2014

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Anyway, somewhere around season 5ish, it starts going off the rails completely. Where most craziness was pretty self-contained early on, it went full balls-to-the-wall crazy in the later seasons.

This past season's finale was just gruesome.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is there a Suburgatory thread?

Mostly I just wanted to say that the girl who plays Lisa is growing up to kind of look like Anna Kendrick.

I was distracted by how much weight she has lost since last season.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Are those the guys from Breaking Bad? Because I would watch those guys walk around a mall for an hour each week.

Did anyone else catch Cheri Oteri on Bravo a few weeks ago. I seriously did not recognize her.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I found myself humming around that "It's not magic, it's tragic! Somethingsomething straightjacket!" song from the magic show episode all last week.

Even songs like the other Thanksgiving song where Linda is singing something like, "Kill the turkey!" just make me grin.

Did you watch Lucy Daughter of the Devil? Each opening title song was different, and it was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCQ7sfkZBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkqaML4zKMw
http://video.adultswim.com/lucy-the-daughter-of-the-devil/holding-hands.html

Edit to clarify: Loren Bouchard is a genius.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 27, 2014

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

In this week's episode of Rick and Morty they solved their problem by just going to an alternate universe where Rick had solved the problem but both of them die from an unrelated thing shortly afterwards. So "our" Rick and Morty bury them in the backyard and take their place.

Yeah, that show sure is something.

I think what hit me most was the final scene, where their family was happier in the Cronenberg nightmarescape.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Trast posted:

So I tried watching the Rick and Morty show you are all drooling over. It's not very good. I don't get how anyone could say it's better than Archer. The whole episode with the love potion was just not doing anything for me.

So comedy is subjective? Who knew!?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I heard this season of American Horror Story sputtered to an unsatisfying end. I watched the first few episodes of the season, then lost the rest when my DVR died. Is it worth trying to see the season finale or should I just skip this season?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Bown posted:

How the f do you get over a page of discussion from absolutely the worst promo ever made

Forget it, Bown; it's TV IV.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know why you would watch it at all if you already have your mind set on evolutionism. Yeah, you get to be smug about creationism for a few minutes, but with that time you could listen to real scientific lectures and learn something useful instead.

Because sometimes it's useful to try to understand where the other side of the argument is coming from. If there was any other basis for the creationism theory than "it's in the Bible" then there might be hope for some real discussion.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

The picture of the sewer line with the missing manhole cover was hilarious. I can't wait to watch the power go out during the Opening Ceremonies.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

It's so warm in Sochi the snow is melting. What a surprise.

I finally got into Key & Peele, based mostly on Peele's recent appearance on Kroll Show. I am ashamed it took me so long to check it out, as it is awesome.

And I just learned Nick Kroll is dating Amy Poehler. Good for them!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm not looking for any condolences, it's just one of those funny things you have to stop and reflect on when someone you've known on a fairly regular, friendly basis just flat-out stops being there anymore.

Thanks for sharing this. It's always a nice reminder that the crazy characters we see on these reality shows are real human beings with history and relationships. We mock them so much, so it's good to remember they are people too.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

We saved up True Detective and have watched 4 over the past few nights, and it has really gotten under our skin. It's like Hannibal meets Justified with 1/4 of the humor. The imagery of the swamps and the industrial areas and that shot of the barge floating past the tent revival scene in the 3rd episode - so haunting!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

escape artist posted:

I'm not complaining-- at least not about True Detective in particular-- I just have a hard time getting into a series. Once I get past the first 3-4 episodes, I'm usually along for the ride. I saw the first episode of T.D. and I'm not entirely sold, yet...

Honestly, I was a bit bored in first episode. But there's something about the world that sucked me in, and the ending of the second episode hooked me. Such great imagery!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Broad City just got a second season! Woo!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Even if you really didn't like the changes in season 2, I don't see how anyone could say it is "amazingly poo poo" if they claim to like season 1.

I balked at the second-season changes (obviously due to very heavy-handed network notes) but the burglar girl turned out to be a fun friend for Guerrero. And then they had to go ahead and force a will-they-won't-they thing on Chance and his new lady boss. Ugh. Too bad, it was a fun show that was forced to be something it wasn't.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Tasha from ST:TNG
Eriq La Salle from ER
Sherry Stringfield from ER

I get why someone would quit a show after 8 seasons, but in the first or second season? At least most people later admit it was a mistake.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Eriq La Salle stayed for 8 years and I think he also worked as a director. So it was not thinking he was too big for the show. Also that show had two people leave who exploded.

Wow, 8 seasons? Ok, I get it. Maybe I should have listed Benjamin Bratt from Law & Order instead.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I actually learn stuff from court shows: never tip if you are dissatisfied with the service in case you decide to sue them later, never pay in full before a contract is fulfilled, some states don't allow you to record conversations without the other party agreeing, documentation is the key when moving in/out of a house or when you are in a car accident. And never talk so much you argue your way out of a victory.

I reference these examples on a weekly basis, but am always rather embarrassed by the source.

And I always hated Judge Joe Brown. gently caress that guy.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Go watch Wet Hot American Summer, it will blow your drat mind.

Hmm, I thought I heard "I'm gonna blow myself 'til I'm blind".

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

The best Spader is Secretary Spader.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I miss Broad City already.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

DP - LOVE the new avatar. Like Forrest, are you dead inside and can feel no more pain?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

lelandjs posted:

It's not something I do on purpose. I see a photo of a celebrity and my device recognition skills kick in. It's actually a kinda fun parlor trick.

I am the same way but with voiceovers. Especially for commercials, I can usually name the celebrity within a few seconds. A useless, but fun, little skill.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

I had a baby in December and my wife and I decided to not subject them to television before the age of 2 (studies show it causes developmental disabilities).

Just don't use the TV as a babysitter and you'll be fine. My kids (3 & 1) watch the occasional Looney Tunes episode but no movies or anything. And there's always time to watch stuff during naptime and after they go to bed! We sometimes watch Bob's Burgers when they are in the room, and they half watch since it's a cartoon and has music, but often they just play with toys in the living room.

Our TV viewing has definitely cut way back since we had kids but that just culls the herd - goodbye Blacklist and The Goldbergs, among others. And even with 1-2 hours a night, there's STILL too much awesome TV to watch. I have the whole last season of Justified on my DVR, and all of this season of Hannibal, because we chose to watch stuff like True Detective, Rick & Morty and Review first.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

It's never ok to accept the opinions of others in lieu of forming your own. Opinions are like assholes: They're yours. Don't worry about other people's.

Other people's opinions have saved me from crap like Helix.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

zoux posted:

So, the Hollywood Reporter has an hourlong round table with Kelsey Grammar, Peter Krause, Damien Lewis, Bryan Cranston, Kiefer Sutherland and John Hamm just talking about the industry and their experiences. It's phenomenal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEparrBK8A&t=1032s
I cued it up to a section where they talk about why TV has become the better medium for many actors, but the whole thing is worth a watch if you have a spare hour.

This is why Dinner For Five was such a great show. Get some casual Hollywood friends to sit around for a few hours, with free booze and a good meal, and you get comedy gold. Someone bring it back, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Technically...

Aqua Teen Hunger Force ended in 2010 to be replaced by Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 which was then replaced by Aqua Something You Know Whatever followed by Aqua TV Show Show.

For a brief time between seasons when it wasn't showing new episodes, it was called Aqua Tivo Avoidance Plan.

The show will likely (and hopefully) never end. It's the epitome of Adult Swim's irreverence.

Those crazy bastards. Now I have a few more titles to add to my DVR list, thanks. Aqua Teen makes great background TV.

• Locked thread