Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

bhsman posted:

I would love to see Control's next big thing become that Sphinx;

Since I have like 50 of them, I certainly share that hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

C-Euro posted:

Shouldn't there be a Select in there as well? :spergin: Or was that only on SNES games?

"Select" was only used if you wanted 2 players. :spergin:

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Serperoth posted:

Vexing Devil also works, as Nehru said.

Apropos of nothing, but this makes me wish that Vexing Devil was legal with Athreos.

Pontius Pilate posted:

They never put haste on tokens since it's only relevant for one turn.

Which I don't quite get, because haste is only relevant on regular creatures for one turn as well. If there's room on the token for Reach, then there's room on the token for Haste. Sure, they can make the picture bigger, but who cares.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
My FLGS did a repeat Journey prerelease tonight, and I took the blue box (white and black were gone by the time I showed up) but ended up running RB with some minotaurs, a bunch of tricks, a little burn, and Agent of the Fates. 4-0, only lost 2 games. First time I've ever 4-0'd anything. I am pleased. (edit: nothing amazing in the prize packs, but 2 Deicides, which is cool.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 3, 2014

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Veyrall posted:

Wait, is it Pharika like "Fair-Ick-Uh" or "Fuh-Reek-uh"? Like, My Fair Lady, or She's a Freak?

To complicate matters, I've been saying "Far-eeka."

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

JerryLee posted:

They must realize the name still has a lot of nostalgic cachet, otherwise they wouldn't still do callbacks to it. Giving the Baron a planeswalker wouldn't require going back to Homelands, in fact it would literally help free him from it.

Gynovore posted:

I dunno. The card would be pretty much...

Sengir, Lord of the Night 3BB

Planeswalker

+1: Vampire.
-1: Vampire.
-8: Vampire vampire vampire.

In my head, Bloodline Keeper is essentially Baron Sengir, Planeswalker.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

I like to think that Ajani brought that little guy along specifically so he could whap some +1+1 counters down on him.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the effect of seeing a Swamp in the opening play is similar to the sensation old school players get when they see two untapped blue mana sources.

Ha ha, so true. I also still ask my Standard opponents to this day who are playing if my spell resolves, even when they have no untapped mana, just from ancient Force of Will-related PTSD.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

BXCX posted:

Dank Flamingo

Donald Faison.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

vOv posted:

Haha, what?

I'm glad I bought a whole bunch of Shadowborn Apostles in time for Super Standard. This is happening, whether it wins games or not. It's happening.

(edit: also, thank Christ the forums are back. Most productive few days I've had in a while, and it was just killing me.)

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Hope they printed this just to troll players into thinking fetches are coming back in the fall set.

God, how I wish this post hadn't fallen to a new page, given the post that it immediately followed.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
From that Forsythe article, this:

quote:

For extra story-filled goodness, we've also included a certain legendary mythic rare artifact that has had a role in making Garruk the man he is today.

Sort of hints at a reprint, but I don't remember storywise if any of the legendary mythic rare artifacts (and there aren't many) were involved. One is a double-sided card, so that's not happening.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

C-Euro posted:

I think it's a reference to the Chain Veil getting a card.

Makes sense.

Since the forums were down, didn't see this in here yet:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/win-ultimate-trophy-2014-06-22

Kind of fun.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

qbert posted:

A weird interaction, but having Ob out makes it really bad for your opponent to Deicide your God, since it's a forced search if they do.

"Their" library.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

jscolon2.0 posted:

I seriously wonder if we'll ever see DFC's again, since machine readable frames mean you could guarantee both "sides" as separate cards in a booster now.

RELEASE THE BFM

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Have we discussed the return of Convoke in concert with the relatively uninspired previous options for the Inspired mechanic yet? Because it seems like there might be some synergy there. Obelisk of Urd, I'm looking at you in particular.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Froghammer posted:

Fingers crossed on Convoke being a good enough enabler to make Inspired constructed viable.

Guess it's me and you in this, buddy. Let's make this happen.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

weekly font posted:

I don't know if it cracks the top Golgari cards but 7 mana is hard to get a real read on without testing. It might end up one of those fun Nicol Bolas style cards as opposed to a staple.

I wonder if it'll be similar to Vraska - people initially put off by the cost, but eventually realizing that it might be useful even just as potentially-useful flexible removal.

vvvv I agree completely, although for superstandard at least, Vraska also kills Elspeth for less mana, so he might get somewhat overlooked for that period of time.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 30, 2014

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Emerson Cod posted:

Absolutely yes. Too bad it can't search up bestow creatures. This tutoring up a Chromanticore would be sick.

Yeah, my first two thoughts were "Oh, cool with bestow creatures" and then "poo poo, not cool with bestow creatures." Gift of Immortality would be a fun fetch with this guy, maybe.

In that he costs 7 mana. (wait, I see what you're saying. Never mind.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 30, 2014

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

mcmagic posted:

I thought it was both an enchantment and a creature. Crap. NM then.

It is both an enchantment and a creature! It is not, however, an Aura.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Entropic posted:

Actually I just want to Chord of Calling this to surprise-block my opponent's giant monstrous Polukranos or something, and then swing back for like 6 in the air next turn while still leaving back a flying deathtouch blocker or two.

Yep, this is what I want as well. Plus, Obelisk of Urd. This is shaping up nicely.

edit: going U/G and getting some Master Biomancers in there too.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 2, 2014

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Sleep of Bronze posted:

are judged by a sort of ghostly telepathic steward Azorius left behind to have understood co-operation and the reasons for a Guildpact, Azorius' magic can re-instate it.

...so, in other words, friendship is magic?

quote:

Oh, and the Dimir managed to go two for two in having their guild leaders be the worst kind of cackling Black psychos over the Ravnica blocks. Lazav wants the Verdict to go off, for no reason explained beyond "LOL PEOPLE DIE".

That at least makes sense for Lazav - something dying means he can turn into that something if it's cool.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Big green could, and anything that uses generator servant and shrapnel blast. Tossing around an idea for a b/r deck that uses those and rescue from the underworld to maximize scuttle value.

I'm going to be doing some work with Life's Legacy as well.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of that Stiflechat from a few days ago, I found this comment from Worth Wollpert pretty amusing regarding the use of Stifle:

"Only card design team I've been on was Scourge (I have many designs in other sets, but lots in Scourge) and I remember that the act of drawing a card for your turn used to be a triggered ability in the comp rules. During playtesting, I got to put stifle in isochron's scepter exactly once before then-rules-manager Paul Barclay modified the comp rules basically on the spot. . ."

Ha, that's pretty funny. Whoopsie!

edit: also, reprint Isochron Scepter.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

BXCX posted:

Not that everything Ultra Pro makes is total garbage, I've been switching over to these Satin Tower deck boxes from my previous fat packs filled with cheap deck boxes system and they are nice as hell.

Going back a bit here, but the old UltraPro "Metalized" sleeves that they used to make are still the best sleeves I've ever used - I still have a couple of packs that I've had for like ten years, and they still shuffle smoothly and look great (not one has ever split, either). I happened to find some for sale recently on Amazon from a single seller while scouring the net for them the other day, and bought them out (only 5 packs). I certainly agree that their base picture sleeves these days are not high quality, but those Metalized sleeves hold a special place in my heart.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

BizarroAzrael posted:

gently caress's sake, why wasn't Revelation banned again?

Wouldn't it have been cool if at some point subsequently they'd printed a Flash creature with "whenever an opponent would draw a card, they draw seven cards instead"?

"end step, Rev for 7"
"Cast Sphinxaids in response, you deck yourself. Game three?"

(edit: given when Skylasher was printed, I assume we'll see this card next spring.)
(edit2: I see the templating problem here, but assume a fixed version for humor purposes.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 3, 2014

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Ranpire posted:

Yeah, or maybe just give YOU the cards instead? Like some sort of thief of notions? That would be so cool, surely people would play it.

:(

Yeah, I know, but as long as I was imagining, I wanted to imagine something that didn't just steal the cards, but literally won you the game on the spot.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
It's a shame that UB hasn't seemed to be a particularly good option in RtR Standard, because no response to Sphinx's Rev would be better than Notion Thief.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Entropic posted:

It's on the Reserve List.

Bingo.

"Trench," then. Make it cost W more and have some minor limitation so that it's not functionally identical, and blammo.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Cernunnos posted:

Now I want a cookie. And then I'm gonna want some milk. And then it's been well over a decade since I read that book so I forget how the rest of it goes.

Having read it to my daughter a couple of hours ago, I can assure you that in the end, he's going to want another cookie.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Holy heck, I want all the Crackling Dooms right now. Not that I wasn't planning on playing that wedge just because it's awesome anyway, but that's a sweet card.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

neetengie posted:

Ob Nixilis confirmed the fetches back in M15. We didn't listen!

I love how this was said a number of times in half-jest, with a "...nah...", and then it turned out to be spot-on.

I really love that Modern just became a whole lot more affordable.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Woapalanne posted:

To be fair, if you're playing a six-drop specifically to hose lands that can be activated in response, you might be a very silly person. That's just a nice little bonus on top of hosing tutoring in general.

Yeah, I know, it's just fun.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I'm fairly sure he found Dunce Foolio in one of the comics that not even I'm a big enough flavour fanatic to read. And Sorin was unamused by THE GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE. And Tibalt from the Duel Decks too.

This brought a question to my mind: is there a story provided for the Duel Decks? I.E., is there lore as to what happened when Sorin met Tibalt? Because considering the participants, in my mind it pretty much goes like when Indiana Jones met that guy with a fancy sword - Tibalt boasts and makes some colorful sparkles, Sorin just glances in disgust at him, and then Tibalt collapses into a pile of ash. Confirm/deny?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

BizarroAzrael posted:

^^ Is there something to be said for that? I mean, I know it's not statistically useful to most decks, but if a mono Red deck wants to stop drawing land at a certain point, having some that take another out of the deck is good isn't it? Or is it not worth the point of life? I'm sure studies have been conducted.

Even though it's a very minor benefit, that's still a benefit, so why not.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Angry Grimace posted:

Running Sunblade Elf, Soldier of the Pantheon, Fleecemane, Spiteful Returned (?), Brimaz, Anafenza, and maybe Sorin would be a pretty easy deck to put together. The lack of more really good 1 drops kind of hurts, but I guess you could max out on the Elves and Soldiers.

Maybe throw an Athreos or two in there.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

OneDeadman posted:

Yesssss

Fuel for Clones.edh

Yeah, going into my Lazav copy/steal deck ASAP. I think I'm going to call it SendInTheClones.edh, though.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Entropic posted:

Imagine that 1B flyer in Theros block limited, that would have been a terrifying bestow target.

Whoever in R&D is trying to check off "what vanilla creatures have we not done yet" boxes just got another one with that vanilla 4B 2/8 Zombie Elephant.

There's a Mind Rot with a "mill yourself 2" rider for Sultai limited decks.

Here's a weird one:

Dazzling Ramparts 1W
Creature - Wall
Defender
1W, T: Tap target creature.
0/7

Basically it's a wall that can block anything with any kind of evasion.

Disowned Ancestor B
Creature - Spirit Warrior
Outlast 1B
0/4

I'm really liking some of these Outlast cards.

Hmmm... either would work, but first turn Disowned Ancestor into second turn Kin-Tree Invocation is kind of fun. Couldn't do it until turn 3 with the Dazzling Ramparts, but 7/7 for two mana on turn three ain't bad either.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I was like weeeelll, maybe in the right Limited formats it could play a useful role. Then I saw Sorcery on it and just groaned.

Although isn't that Portal, where there were only sorceries anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

En Fuego posted:

Biggest bad beat I heard was my buddy about to win the next turn, with dominant board position. Opponent hail mary's with a Villainous Wealth for 5 ... hitting 3 5cc creatures and 2 removal spells. PRETTY GOOD

I got blown the gently caress out by Duneblast the turn before I would have won, but that's not the same, I know.

• Locked thread