Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jace Madan posted:

I always thought Norman's speech/rant in Thunderbolts #120 was pretty baddass...

Nevvy Z posted:

That was the arc where a bunch of telepaths made everyone crazy right? That was awesome.

Awesome and hilarious. I like the 'my family tree looks like two sticks jutting out of a dead raccoon', personally. They totally need to put that in a movie at some point. I guess the telepaths didn't have to work hard on Norman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lars Blitzer posted:

I still say that mightygodking's edit of the Captain America/Sally Floyd rant post-surrender is canon. :colbert:

I say mightygodking's edit of the whole storyline is the real canon. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

prefect posted:

Weird tangent: has her accent ever been established? Sometimes I get the impression that she does an English accent, sometimes it's just upper-class rich American.

I kind of had her pegged as a Mid-Atlantic accent, to be honest.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chinaman7000 posted:

Best costume ever, we could all learn from such design and austere aesthetics.

And Storm's costume isn't bad either! :downsrim:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Grendels Dad posted:

It bothers me more than it should, but "I... Darkseid!" makes Darkseid sound like a verb missing an object. You darkseid what, huh?

Also, he should have said "It is I... Darkseid!"

Darkseid IS. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Secret Warrior Dark Reign The List

I see both of them are saving the best for last.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Patrick Spens posted:

It was either that or some other alternate future story.

It was X-Men: The End, actually. She wound up becoming President.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

According to that issue (New Avengers 29, prepare for spoilers), there's basically only about twenty or so alternate universes left, so expect 616 to become the "Spider-Verse" as every last remaining alternate Spider-Man (and Spider-Girl) has to move into Parker's apartment.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get their own country on Battleworld. Maybe Arachnia, since it's a Spider-themed nation and the only other Spider-Related events (Spider-Island/Renew Your Vows) are already accounted for.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

They died, remember?

I still don't get how Morlun (guy who is vulnerable to radiation) was able to beat a team that featured Firestar (powers are microwave radiation).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't understand how Morlun is still around. I thought he got eaten years ago when The Other happened.

Apparently they can respawn via cloning.

Yes, that's right, cloning.

:suicide:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, as good a time as any to do a recap.

Originally he was a sort of mystical villain dude from Earth (regular 616 Earth, I mean) who had his eye on Spider-Man because draining animal-totem-people of their life force was his favourite snack. On the way to New York (by boat, not interdimensional portal) he was using an eagle-powered German superhero to keep him going. He winds up going after Spider-Man but because Spider-Man got his powers from a radioactive spider, Pete had the brilliant idea of going to a nuclear power plant and injecting his veins with radioactive material. So instead of being a "pure source" of delicious spidery goodness, he was horribly tainted with artificial sweeteners and additives, which made Morlun wither into a husk. Then he got shot by his long-suffering human personal assistant/slave, and that was that.

Then he came back, because a true villain never dies, when the Other storyline was meandering along and in need of something interesting to happen before it all got retconned away. So he showed up, menaced briefly, and then died again (as you mentioned). Even so he was still the same sort of magic dude that he had been before, so that was a reasonable enough explanation for why he'd come back. Magic is as magic does, there must always be a dude eating animal-themed superheroes I guess.

It wasn't until the Spider-Verse thing started that Slott completely rewrote Morlun into being part of an interdimensional family of big game hunters who rule their homeworld ("Earth 0", really?) and only eat Spider-Men because reasons. Also all their clone bodies are made using the same sort of technology that made Ben Reilly because reasons.

I don't mind Slott's writing usually, at least for the most part, and there have been moments in Spider-Verse I've liked... but the Morlun (and family) stuff has been pretty craptacular.

He also came back to try and eat Black Panther.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

The Parker Luck, judging by how many times they're getting chumped in this crossover.

I like how the difference between when they have and don't have their plot armour is so blatantly obvious.

With: Can take out Leopardon with little to no effort.
Without: Gets chumped by the Other in a single panel.
With: Can incapcitate the Other, again in a single panel.
Without: Gets gloriously smacked about by the Punisher with a baseball bat (and HATE, of course).

Christ, why did anyone think Dan Slott was a good idea as a writer for the flagship chatracter again?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Squidster posted:

Ruins is really the epitome of childish faux-maturity. It's like a greasy little trenchcoated manchild having a huff about how everything sincere and optimistic's for babies, man. Without Marvels, it wouldn't exist, and it didn't really need to.

I'm also going to voice the unpopular opinion that Planetary is really self-indulgent. It's one of those comics-about-comics metawanks that has difficulty reaching any reader not already drenched in comic trivia. Because it's so meta, and so reactionary, it ends up with no coherent universe or stakes. It's cool moments are overshadowed by the fact that they happen in a complete vacuum.

But this is the Badass thread, not the comic putdown thread, so let's post some panels!

Ragnarok #3

Is that Simonson writing Undead Thor? :sbahj:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

I think this belongs here because the sheer balls it takes for you to gently caress with J. Jonah "I will personally pilot a robot built to destroy you" Jameson is pretty badass.
:allears:

No.1 page in Spider-Man history, right here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Luckily he brought along his axe from the Pre-Mjolnir days too. :black101:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Convergence: The Question #2

Behold, the fedora as nature intended: on the head of an awesome lady.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Would Aquaman find a dog and barrel ridiculous?

He'd find them OUTRAGEOUS!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

mind the walrus posted:

I actually do too, it's just funny how two companies whose entire longevity is rooted in their far-reaching iconography managed to do a giant crossover where neither was playing with that deck.

JLA/Avengers is a great counter-weight though, especially since it cane at the tail end of both companies prior to some crazy universe restructuring (Disassembled at Marvel, Green Lantern: Rebirth and such at DC)

Also DC completely undermined the message of that crossover by bringing back Hal & Barry. Kind of undermines Hal's 'we have to put things back to how they should be, even if it means I turn into a villain who murders a bunch of my friends and dies' kind of loses its punch when he came back and was made The Greatest Green Lantern and pretty much forgiven.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Josef bugman posted:

No as in where can I read a synopsis, I wouldn't get it for a little while in the UK anyway.

What are you talking about? I'm in the UK and books are released the same day here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gavok posted:

A dying, blood-soaked Spider-Ham crawls towards a big, red button.

Don't you mean Spider-Cat?

Oh...yeah.

RIP Spider-Cat.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Superstring posted:

I've seen similar pages for Aquaman and, I think, Barry Allen Flash and it always strikes me as super lame when you need to have characters talk about how great other characters are. It's like whenever a Marvel writer tries to reassure that, 'No way guys, Hank Pym is actually really cool! Honest!'

I loved the Avengers Age of Ultron follow-up oneshot that Mark Waid, that was awesome. as well as his characterisation in Avengers Academy. I think because in both cases they didn't try to hard to make him awesome, but that he was a guy who made mistakes and wanted to do better.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

My take on Joker in TAS is that he's just a sociopath who's really self-amused and is faking most of it.

Paul Dini might actually agree with you.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Plus the writer is kind of a shithead.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

Then Frank, in his own book at the time, walks out of the bar, completely intact, and decides for a lark to spend his last day on Earth shooting terrorists.

Yeah, but that was a bunch of neocon bullshit, I prefer him going down in a blaze of glory.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait...is that one of the Losers? I thought they all died in New Frontier.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ashcans posted:

I suppose you could have a Batman comic where he turns up on the doorsteps of various struggling charities and failing schools and stuff with enormous cardboard novelty checks, or where he batlobbies for improved social services and better rehabilitation programs by taking congresspeople out in the batmobile to tour the batcave and that ends in a batpresentation.

Finally a reason for that bat credit card. These school supplies are on me, kids!

It would basically be the 10-second PSAs at the end of GI Joe turned into the main feature.

Legit sounds like what Batman '66 would do on slow crime days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

Only one that occurs to me is a J.M. DeMatteis fill-in issue of JLA just before the last Morrison story arc, which I think took place pretty soon after Hal Jordan became the Spectre. It has a bit where Martian Manhunter takes the Spectre and the JLA into the Joker's head, where they find this friendly couple who welcome them and invite them to make themselves at home, to prove that there's something to redeem even in the most twisted human mind of all.

Specifically that nice couple was Joseph Kerr, the Joker's identity after he had a psychotic (anti-psychotic?) break in Going Sane after he thought he killed Batman, and his girlfriend who he wound up abandoning when he learned Batman was still alive before the Joker reemerged. :smith:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I remember reading that! But I don't remember when it happened.

Sounds like it's from Enemy of the State.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

wiegieman posted:

I don't think there's been enough posted from The Wild Storm, so in case we needed reminding that Michael Cray is a badass, two of his former co-workers have just been sent to his home:

The Wild Storm #6

Bit weird that one of his coworkers is apparently Obama.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I can see it

I knew it wasn't just me!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the closest I can think of is Black Panther and White Tiger getting there's from a Panther and Tiger god, and I think that's a retcon in Black Panther's case.

Didn't Morlun go after T'Challa in the Hudlin run?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, probably.

She also is a rad 1-man band that plays YES - Big Generator because it was the 80's.

This loving needs to be in the Alita: Battle Angel sequel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Stranger posted:

Quasar had them all killing themselves because they realized that by observing they were inherently interfering, then Quasar talked them out of it and the dead Watchers resurrected themselves. They're basically omnipotent Star Trek aliens with the exception that they don't usually make lesser species fight each other for the fate of their planets.

But, yeah, Uatu can be stone cold sometimes.

[Watcher just stands there asking questions about the alien's plan for a long time so the invader doesn't realize his ship is being destroyed behind him.]

There's actually multiple stories in the Tales of the Watcher series in which Uatu goes, "Yeah... I'm just going to stand here and watch you die."
I've just been reading the Jeff Parker Hulk series, which after Loeb's run of Red Hulk curbstomping everyone starts with him getting his rear end kicked by half the marvel universe, and there's a bit where Red Hulk is about to be sucked into the event horizon of a blakc hole and Uatu shows up to pull that move.

Then a backup story sees him going to see a cosmic gribbly emerge - which can't detect him or the other Watcher, but does detect trace elements of Red Hulk and goes off to Earth to fight him.

Because Red Hulk once punched Uatu in the face, you see.

I'm only like three issues in, and I can't wait to see how Uatu fucks him over next. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mulva posted:

Batman has also come up with multiple plans to kill Superman.

Luthor can respect that.

Kinda want to see Luthor try to pull a Tower of Babel and steal one, only Bruce probably put in an Anti-Luthor failsafe after that story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Push El Burrito posted:

He also gave Hope the Great Power Comes Great Responsibility stuff. This was done better when he tried it with Franklin Richards and Ben immediately picked him up and set him aside because that kid is NOT ready to deal with that much responsibility.

Edit:

I will always laugh at Spider-Man just dangling in the air, still sitting.

What issue is this?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pacra posted:

I'm sorry, did Stark just insinuate that four SHIELD agents beheaded or bisected themselves throwing Cap's shield, and seventy-three others are grievously wounded as a result of their attempts?

SHIELD's still a government agency, I thought, does OSHA not apply? Why didn't they stop at one critically wounded attempt? Has SHIELD always been this repressively authoritarian to its front line agents?

I think they all volunteered. I mean, this was in the post-civil war era, so SHIELD was basically at its most authoritarian, but I presume all those people chose to do it to hopefully become the new cap. And Tony, really, really wanted a new Captain America. Especially if he could get one on his side. He did give the shield & costume to Bucky in the end.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

habeasdorkus posted:

Now I want a comic series that follows a bold team of superheroes trying to get good data from each alternate universe for analysis about different actions. Call em the R-squad.

I think there's actually a device that does something like this in the current run of Amazing Spider-Man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Somberbrero posted:

This is from Avengers #33 out this week if you don't want spoilers. Moon Knight has to beat up the Avengers to save the world or something similar. He starts with Iron Fist.

Thought it was a clever way to use the Fight Text thing Aaron has been doing.

Haven't they already done character X has to beat up the Avengers to save the world in Captain Marvel already? Dammit Aaron, don't copy off Thompson's work! :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

prefect posted:

Holy poo poo. :black101:

Aaron keeping to his 'would this look sick painted on the side of a van' writing philosophy, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hulk Smash! posted:

To be fair, according to the Marvel handbook, every non-powered person in the Marvel universe is listed as Olympic-level athlete, expert hand to hand combatant, and/or having 3 PhD's.
I think that's an exaggeration.

I mean, Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau, I'll grant you.