Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Benne posted:

Twitter is still hosed on my end, but somehow Schef is still able to use it

E: Bah, screenshot didn't work. Schef tweeted that the Pats and Edelman couldn't reach a deal and he's hitting the open market.

The Pats are so cheap that it kinda disgusts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

MourningView posted:

Pretty cool that one of the best players in the history of the franchise isn't going to be a Cowboy anymore because they can't spend reasonably.

This thread is loving exploding! I made the mistake of reading the comments on nfl.com but one person suggested that he go to Seattle to replace Clemons. Possible?

Also, gently caress the Raiders FO.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Tate visiting Detroit and Tillman visiting Tampa some how I doubt both leave free agents.

I don't get Tate going to Detroit. They already have Bell and Bush.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Holy gently caress Carolina. If this holds WRs in the first and third will be mandatory.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Lose Ware and gain a 30 year old malcontent with 20 career sacks. Cool. Any chance we keep Spencer or is this defense going to somehow be even worse?

Meh. They need to retain Hatcher and nab Spikes so we can use the first on Clinton-Dix...

Then we'll go back to the front 7 in 2nd and 3rd round.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Why is everyone so down on Glennon? He's a rookie who threw for 19TDs and 9INTs.

Yea the TD/INT ratio isn't everything but that's loving impressive for a rookie.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I think you guys are greatly underestimating how hard is to for a rookie to come in and play like he did - even with V-Jax.

I'd say he deserves another year to start and prove he can be the QB of the future. If the Bucs are considering bailing on him already then they're making a big mistake. Though he's only played for one year, Glennon is already more proven than any QB coming out in this year's and next year's draft.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

If Denver doesn't resign Woodyard then who(other than Von) is playing LB?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Did the Raiders get sorta Jay Ratliffed lmao?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Doltos posted:

gently caress it, trade up for Clowney. The Giants without a DE from the Strahan tree just feels wrong. We're the god damned Giants, we can't get by on our schtick with a third round sophomore and a lower back injured freakazoid.

Ah that's what happened to JPP! Something didn't feel right about Romo surviving a Giants game without getting pounded by a d-lineman.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Why did he go to a 3-4 team when he looked terrible under Pagano's scheme?

E: Educate me. What's the difference between an MLB in a 4-3, and an ILB in the 3-4? Which traits are more important to which?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Cowboys defense is hosed...again.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Dallas has suffered a large amount of injuries for at least the past 3 years now.

Is the this a result of poor strength and conditioning, or just bad luck?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

What is there to not like about Steve Smith?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7gVv7I4MA

loving Panthers...

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Holy crap I never knew it was that bad.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

If Miles Austin didn't have injury concerns he'd be the best pickup for WR now.

But he also wouldn't be a free agent.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Some news on MJD, some noise with the Steelers. He's been bitching about not wanting to be on the Jaguars for two years now. Okay, nobody wanted to be on the Jaguars the last two years, but MJD has been the most vocal, even skipping the whole 2012 pre-season in protest. It'd be nice to see him in other colors, getting lit up by Poz or W.Blackmon. that'd make my day.

Why would you want to see MJD get "lit up"? What the gently caress do you have against him?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Doltos posted:

Geno at least looked like a competent QB at times and him getting picked up in the early second was fair. That draft kinda sucked for QBs anyway. People were mocking Geno high because there just wasn't any other QBs to do it to, and there always seems to be a top 10 QB taken. I ended up mocking him high for the same reason.

He has an arm, he can run, the problem is definitely his mechanics. He needed to sit and learn but the problem with today's rookie wage scale is they get thrown to the wolves then benched if they aren't instantly good.

You really think the pay scale has something to do with an organization's patience with a rookie? I'd like to hear more about this. With the way he and Glennon are being trashed I suspected that teams are starting to act impatiently towards the development of a QB.

I'm being completely serious by the way.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Apologies if this has been posted but the Panthers just signed Tiquan Underwood. Receiver issues are no longer a thing for Cam now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335936/article/panthers-sign-tiquan-underwood-antoine-cason

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So Dezmon Briscoe and I were classmates in high school and sucks to see him get tossed around in FA. I remember he had a pretty solid year with the Bucs in 2011 as a 4th/5th string WR. IIRC he had something like 400 yds and 5 TDs. Anyone here familiar with his skillset and whether or not he's getting any attention?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I hope Vick leads the Jets to a conference playoff victory over the Pats.

gently caress all of you who still hate him.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

To be more specific

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Eagles will take a hard look at Mark Sanchez, having their team doc look at his medicals, source said. Could sign him (as @mortreport said)

e:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The #Eagles won't be alone in pursuit of Mark Sanchez, as others including the #Giants should be in the mix. Will be healthy for OTAs.

Why will he still be employed? He is absolutely terrible at his job.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Rasczak posted:

N: New plan for Cowboys: Stephen Jones reveals Dallas steering away from players over 30 years old

V: It would've been nice if you made this decision before signing Weeden

I would have rather seen Josh Freeman as Romo's backup. He'd have time to sit and learn the system behind a Top 5 QB, and who knows, maybe he would pan out in a situation like that.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Jay Cutler has to be the most hated QB after Romo. I can't believe how many Bears fans want him gone.

E: Well maybe after Vick and Romo.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

No, let's not go down that road again.

Just know Romo and Cutler both own and deserve better than the poo poo they get from fans.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I can't fathom Peyton utilizing a deep threat either. :v:

You're on a roll :golfclap:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

How serious are the talks between the NYJ and CJ2K? He and Vick would make a fun ground game to watch.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Oh joy. I was reading an article on NFL.com about why running backs are getting paid like poo poo compared to just a few years ago, and I just had to read the comments:

quote:

In comparison, RBs get shorted, but...y'know, I dunno about the rest of you, but I would happily take a 90k salary to play professional football, regardless of the position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000337644/article/running-backs-getting-paid-like-kickers-and-punters?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

:suicide:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Someone did bring up a semi-interesting point in suggesting that RBs work with the NFLPA to structure contracts so that they may make more money earlier in their careers than some of the other positions. Should this even be given a thought?

For instance, what if their contracts had really great incentives for performance of the first 3-4 years of their rookie contracts? They'd have a legitimate argument in that their careers tend to end earlier than others. Also, with it being performance-based that would pretty much be a win-win situation, right?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Doltos posted:

Darren Sharper destroyed Eli every time they faced each other. He was to Eli like kryptonite is to Superman, or like ambien is to girls at the club.

Sharper owned during his first year with both the Vikes and Saints. It was magical.

Too bad he turned out to be a rapist :(

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I can root for any team not named New England. It's not even because of Brady.

I just really despise that organization.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

Tannehill said after the season that they almost never went deep in practice and probably averaged one go route attempt per game.

There's absolutely no reasonable explanation for that. Who was the OC?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

What's the deal with Brandon Lloyd? Why didn't he ever become a perennial pro bowl WR? Seems like he's always had the talent to do so but just never did.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

His quarterbacks before Tom Brady and Kyle Orton included Alex Smith, Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey, Cody Pickett, end-career Mark Brunell, and a couple of games of Tim Tebow and Rex Grossman sprinkled in

So why didn't the 9ers or Broncos resign him? You don't get rid of a stud WR because his QB sucks.

Spoeank posted:

There's also, you know, stuff like this

Yea but seriously, it's one gently caress up compared to the countless times he's bailed out trash QBs.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Just as an insight: all of this Brandon Lloyd talk emerged because I noticed on Madden that he has a Spectacular Catch rating of 98. I think began to remember all of the circus catches he made throughout his career.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Backup RBs from the top of my mind:

Bears-Michael Bush
Bengals-Lawfirm (he should've been anyway)
Bills-Spiller/Jackson
Broncos-Hillman
Browns-McGahee
Bucs-Mike James,Demps
Cards-Stephen-Towling, that one scatback from Clemson
Chargers-Ronnie Brown
Chiefs-McCluster/Knile Davis
Colts-T Rich
Cowboys-Dunbar
Dolphins-Daniel Thomas
Eagles-
Falcons-Snelling
49ers-LaMichael James
Giants-David Wilson
Jags-Robinson
Jets-Bilal Powell
Lions-Leshoure
Packers-Franklin
Panthers-Stewart/Tolbert
Patriots-Blount
Raiders-Goodson
Rams-Daryl Richardson
Ravens-Ray Rice
Saints-Mike "100yds against the Cowboys" Ingram
Seahawks-Christine Michael
Steelers-
Texans-
Titans-
Vikings-Geirhart

I can't believe I know all of this. Someone want to fill in the blanks?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I based those choices off of last year. Bryce Brown's name just couldn't come to mind but I completely forgot about Tate and Dwyer though.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Mike Goodson isn't on the Raiders

The Raiders starter is either MJD or McFadden(or Marcel Reece :allears:) followed by Kory Sheets(owns)/Taiwan Jones(possibly a CB)/Jamize Olawale

Claw Massage posted:

Snelling was cut from the Falcons if I remember correctly. They have Jacquizz Rodgers who is okay in a not as good as Warwick Dunn way, and Antone Smith who is very fast but they refuse to use him for anything other than as a really good gunner on special teams.

Edit- Snelling retired actually, wasn't cut.

superaielman posted:

For what it's worth, the number two person on the Packers depth chart right now is James Starks. DuJuan Harris is the likely 3, Johnathan Franklin is at the bottom and is coming off a pretty serious concussion.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Ronnie Brown is gone, the Chargers' backups are Donald Brown and Danny Woodhead

Volkerball posted:

Also Joique Bell for the Lions. :smug:

And here I am thinking I did pretty well :ughh:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

PantsFreeZone posted:

Gotta know your handcuffs. Ruxin taught me that.

I think the Steelers backup is Isaac Redman.

I played Fantasy Football for the first time last season in a 10-team league. I only lost 1 game (the final loving week thanks to Gronk) and went on to win the championship.

I'd say I know my players pretty well based on last season's rosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He wasn't, though. Not clear cut at least.

I completely agree running back is a position you don't need a superstar and it seems like a waste to be Honest.

Is this a serious post? There are several superstar running backs who help keep their teams relevant. Of course it's not necessary to have them, but their definitely not a waste(excluding Minnesota).

Up until last year Matt Forte was the Bears' offense. Jamaal Charles took that role this past season. AP just needs a Matt Cassel to start for a full season to get his team to the playoffs, and the Seahawks offense would be the worst in the league without Marshawn Lynch.

• Locked thread