Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
We may be the leading development platform but we're still the smallest market platform. Can you imagine the equivalent console pants-making GBS threads that would be happening if PC really did get that lighting engine? Hey, thats development though. Marketing use something of yours you're experimenting with because its cool, then suddenly everything has to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Does anyone know if we are completely safe to play characters in both offline and online modes? I want to start a new character already!

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I am the worst bluecop. Today I killed my host by doorway blocking and scared another by appearing round a corner such that he suddenly messed up a jump and died. Also got chumpstabbed by an invader using the White ring. I'm not about to give up patrolling though.

Any general tips for getting bites on NG+, SM 3.7M?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

gently caress, I just missed out on the Ring of Blades +2 by trading hits with the 2nd throne room Pursuer for the kill. Do those things come back if I bonfire ascetic?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Hexer 1-shots and Havelyns completely turned me off high level PvP, though I can't say I'll never dip in again as I like that spike of Blue Sentinel activity that happens right at the beginning of NG+. Sub-800K SM BoB arena in Europe had only 50% of players scoring one square on the bingo card making it kind of tolerable. Soul Memory is working for me at de-twinking the game.

Found a very ghetto soft-counter to twinblade movesets. The Sun Ring will often proc twice or more off the flurry move giving you some free damage and possibly staggers a little as well? Maybe it was just surprising people with explosions everywhere.

Is there a list of armor pieces that have special effects? I'm looking for a caster headpiece without high INT requirements.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

The numbers on Pursuers sword are good but the moveset is terrible as it mixes in some great hammer moves where you don't want them. Pursuers sword has been my biggest regret spending of dragon bones.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Can't quite believe it but while Sunbroing for grinding for Loyce souls we actually managed to beat the Ivory King with one knight. Twice. I imagine the dudes must be so happy but will be facepalming when they work out how its supposed to be done.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

My best guess is that the storm deer each have their own area which triggers their appearance during blizzards. I managed to cause some to go extinct by carefully going the same route every time. The real fucker is that towards the end there is some kind of double trigger causing two at once to appear. If you hug the very right hand wall then the triggers don't seem to overlap perfectly allowing you to take them on one at a time. Its easier to reach the precipice this way which seems to act as some sort of safe zone and stops the blizzards, at least as long as there are no already active storm deer.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I saw hordes of people in Mimic hat/prisoners tatters and tossing coins while co-oping Burnt Ivory King. Lots of people afflicted with the curse of want.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

TheSpiritFox posted:

Another quick question. I'm in huntsman's copse and I just took out the skeleton bosses (gently caress those guys btw, especially as sorc) and I have been running around in the bastille and ventured into Sinners Rise or whatever it's called and got destroyed by some water wandering monster thing at the bottom of a lift. I'm about Soul Level 101, I have a flame longsword +7 and Archdrake Staff +4 and my best spells were doing about a hundred damage. 38 int, 25 faith, 35 attune, misc other stuff for Drangleic shield and flame longsword.

Are those guys unusually hard, am I not progressed enough? I think I'm way high tier for Huntsman's Copse and stuff because I never, ever get summoned anymore and everything I've gone into seems pretty empty, maybe my gear is not up to snuff? Any advice appreciated.

You're decently levelled but very under-geared. You could try going back and whacking every crystal lizard you've left but YMMV. There is one other boss in the Bastille. If you've won that encounter you'll have access to Belfry Luna, an "anything goes" PvP area with Titanite chunks as the reward.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Gologle posted:

How dare you, HOW loving DARE YOU compare the Elana boss fight to the godlike Ornstein and Smough duo boss fight. Nothing in the Dank Soul 2 compares to that boss fight. For that reason alone ishouldhavebeentheonetofillurdarksoul1withliiiiight is way superior to its alleged "sequel". gently caress you and die. Grr, I'm so mad right now I can't even use the exclamation point.

In other news, does anybody know if beating a boss makes it harder for other people to summon you for the same boss fight? I've plopped down my sign at the Ivory King entrance, like, a dozen times, and I only got summoned once. I mean yeah, at this point I'm at Soul Memory 7 million in NG, but still. Come on guys, you're making it really hard to justify soul memory.

I was cooping Ivory King earlier tonight and saw two suicides and a black crystal after the Charred Knight phase. People still desperate for Loyce soul farm. Its just getting weird.

Tallgeese, do you have a habit of putting orange messages on tops of pillars in the middle of nowhere?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, what chest are you guys talking about in Majula? The one with the Soul Vessel? Does that have new weapons?

Yeah, that chest. Theres some trick to making it reload with the item.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I really don't understand how infusions work, especially on weapons with split damage already. Take the Black Knight Greatsword: Infusions seem to barely drop or affect the ratings or scaling already present. Scaling for regular BKG is C/E/-/C/-/-, Fire BKG is a very similar C/E/-/C/-/- while a Dark BKG seems to add an extra C rating out of nowhere for C/E/-/C/-/C. As fire and dark both scale well with combined Int/Fth this looks like a great 2-for-1 deal.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I know its against conventional wisdom and I felt stupid for doing it but when I hit enemies with it before and after they died faster. I didn't know how to argue with that and was wondering if I'd found an edge situation or something.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'd normally say people can't be that stupid but I've met too many people.
Most likely some bad troll, though.

It's some sperg who's worked out he can get more channel views by deliberately being obtuse about popular games. He has one about xcom which shows him failing the tutorial by refusing to click the right mouse button at the on screen prompt.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Oh my god, I need to stop making this game unnecessarily challenging for myself. And taking bosses existence personally. Playing a mage character on CoC NG+1, I decide I'm going to take down Mytha without draining her poison. Turns out I just don't have the DPS and can't respond to the tell for her spinny move. After failing about 20 times, rather than give in and do it the easy way I decide that I'll come back later with some physical stats. Hit every other Lord soul, do Sunken King but no improvement in my performance.

Then when testing out random spells on her I find Fire Whip poise breaks her once a cast allowing you to chain it. On goes the Hexer Hood, Fire Clutch Ring, Handcuffs and Northern Ritual+2 and I blow her away before my poison meter even fills.

This freaking game.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

The pack of 4 Archdrake priests gave me enough grief on NG+1. Water doesn't seem to slow those guys down. Going to have to reinforce a Greatbow for the next time I come around.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I cannot believe how quick the cops respond. Kill Pate and the arbiter is on me before I reach the Tseldora stash, accidentally chop up the last milfanito and they greet me in Undead Crypt. Does anyone Bloodbro anymore?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Harrow posted:

Exactly how bad is magic against the DLC enemies?

It's starting to seem like there are enough extremely magic-resistant enemies in DS2 all around (especially with the DLC) that starting with a magic-using character was a massive mistake on my part. If the enemies in the DLC are super resistant to magic like I've heard I might just go ahead and restart before I get too frustrated to keep playing. (Yes, I could Soul Vessel, but the idea of building a pure melee build on top of Sorcerer base stats just makes me feel even stupider.)

This sounds familiar. I had a much better time of it going Hexer with a Dark Sunset Staff for Dark Orbs and a Black Witches Staff allowing me to pick and choose from the utility spells of all the magic types. Dark Fog tends to carry itself well too but I didn't find much use for the Chime based damage Hexes.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Harrow posted:

Coming back to Dark Souls II on PC has made me seriously reconsider my opinions of the game. I was pretty down on it at first, and now I can't really remember why. I'm really liking it this time.

So: when in NG should I do the DLC? I'm just about to finish getting all the Lord Souls. Is the DLC sort of a "do this right before the final boss" thing, or can I head there pretty much as soon as I unlock the entrances?

Eh, as soon as you've got your +10 weapon and a roll you're comfortable with you can check them out. They can be done AFTER beating the final boss and thats probably when they SHOULD be done, but they got some fun toys in them so why not look round them early and steal what loot you can.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Does the Twinblade R1 --> R2 truly combo?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Leyburn posted:

I just can't handle Elana at all. I've been at it for two hours now. The thing is, on the face of it the fight seems easy. I can avoid everything she does, I can run rings round Veldstat and I can deal with a mob of skeletons. But put it all together and I'm hosed, anytime I avoid anything she does, Veldstat hits me. Anytime I defeat him, she hits me with her flame attack while his corpse prevents me from rolling away.

I don't know how many times I have had her down to 100HP only for my bottle to crash at the last minute.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: On my latest attempt I tried to kill a skeleton that was spawning, but due to my lovely luck I was apparently facing his back. Get accidentally locked into a completely unnecessary backstab animation only to get an unavoidable face full of hex when the animation finishes. Aaaaargh.

Elana is my kryptonite as well. Its like while fighting her I enter this state of confusion and can't analyse what I'm doing right or wrong.

My tactic against her essentially boils down to playing the percentages game. Go all out crazy aggressive on her at the start of the fight, sticking to her like glue, rolling all attacks and punishing everything. Usually I mess up early but other times I get her to 50% health and kill two skeletons before her summoning animation is complete. Then I slow down, give the summon the runaround and use a weapon with a nice wide sprint attack.

Not much point to high poise. Black Witch robe and Ring of Resistance +1 together can decrease elemental damage by 25% which may be useful for preventing one hit kills. Long rolls out of the Flame Swathes are very useful so stay light armored I guess.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Alright, so this is where I'm at right now. I've just beaten skeleton lords, and I also beat the sentinels.

Where should I go to get summoned / how can I improve my character? Is it too late and needs to be scrapped?

First off, congrats on beating the sentinels, you're going to do fine. Second, you can respec using an item called the Soul Vessel so you can change build or correct mistakes. You don't need to scrap.

All characters like stamina. It lets you cast more, swing more, block more. Drop some points on endurance. Also, check out the AGL(Agility) stat in the Performance tab. That determines how long the invincible portion of your roll lasts. Its a good idea to raise it to at least 100. It scales strongly with Adaptability and weakly with Attunement.

If you're wanting to learn to PvP then join the bell keepers covenant. Its behind the Pharros mechanism in the basement below the bonfire in the room after the sentinels. If you want to co-op then poke around Harvest Valley for the Sun covenant.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I just took down Sinh on CoC intensity 3 with a single Red Iron Twinblade. I'm kind of amazed at the durability and sheer DPS of this thing.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait Fume Knight is harder than Darklurker?

I don't know about the average Dark Souls player, if such a thing exists, but its certainly possible to stack elemental resists to the point that Darklurker becomes much less threatening.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

I've never used Flynn's ring how does that work?

Its a second Ring of Blades you can wear alongside your first. The ring doesn't care what your weight is, it just looks at how much you can theoretically carry. If your VIT is over 9 it gets less powerful. If you have VIT near 9 and use items with Equip Load bonuses like the Royal Soldiers ring then that also decreases the damage you gain from it.

So basically its a ring for characters who wear light cloth and use rapiers.

Edit: I'm wrong on some numbers, please read posts below!

Senethro fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 20, 2014

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Time_pants posted:

How in the world are you supposed to do that in NG+?

Keep a halberd in your back pocket until boss is at 50% health, brightbug, buff and pick your moment carefully. You might not be able to truly finish him off but you should be able to put him in the 1-full-combo kill zone and can risk eating a hit from the second kitty.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Holy moley, Staff of Wisdom is now located in Tseldora. A decent Sorcery tool at last.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

I tried this. Seems like a pretty good idea until you factor in my lovely luck with disconnecting or the host dying (or me dying) or whatever else would cause me to go home early, leaving me with even more degraded weapons.

Really I think From should just patch in infinite weapon durability right now and just pretend the entire ill-conceived mechanic never existed. But yea this has been discussed to death already, it's just frustrating. It's very nearly ruining the game for me right now.

Edit: speaking of bugs, invisible armor?

Not a bug. Merely an armor that cannot be seen by cowards.

What do your eyes tell you?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Vermain posted:

Okay, here's the deal: the reason for the janky mouse delay is entirely because of the double-click option. This can be disabled on the Keyboard Setup panel in options and it 100% solves the mouse issue. The downside is that it continually resets whenever you close the game and start it up again, meaning you have to disable it on startup every time. This is less than optimal, but the AHK script that I tried made it so that I could no longer perform running attacks, which is a huge issue for me.

Beyond that, my keyboard/mouse setup is:

M1/G - Normal Right-Hand
M2 - Normal Left-Hand
Q - Two-Handing/Power Stance
E - Use Item
F - Switch Items
R - Switch Left-Hand
2 - Switch Right-Hand
C - Switch Spells
T - Strong Right-Hand
Shift - Strong Left-Hand
Space - Roll/Sprint
CTRL - Jump
Tab - Target Lock

I know this probably looks like a super awkward setup, but I've played a lot of MMOs that require me to act like I'm at a pipe organ. T and G are at good positions to combine with W (forward) for guard breaks/jump attacks, and most of the major actions like parrying, rolling, and item use are at easily accessible buttons.

I'm getting flashbacks to the early TF2 threads with people posting their control binds requiring three 7-fingered hands to use effectively . Hell, I'm getting flashbacks to the 90s and people using all-keyboard controls in Quake with 8 different keys only for different horizontal turning speeds.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Isn't Elana another incidence of unfair Strike weapon bias by From?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Ghost of Starman posted:

Hmm... feeling kinda overwhelmed by options of where to go.
Lost Bastille - the fog door just past Straid's cell
Luna Belfry
Undead Purgatory
Shaded Wood
Earthen Peak
whatever's past that fire-spewing salamander in Lost Forest of Giants, I think I can take him by now :black101:
...and I guess whatever's in The Pit, it would be pretty easy to scrounge up the souls for the catfall ring

Suggestions? Advice? "Go where your heart takes you"? :)
Edit: Oh, right - still doing the STR/FTH "paladin" thing, so anything that points me in the direction of useful new miracles, armor, weapons, boss souls would be double-plus good.

If you want a loose end to tie up, then the fog door beyond Straid's cell is the place to go.

Alternatively the Shaded Wood path has a long way to go and 3+ shopkeepers to encounter for gear.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I've wondered since the first day playing this game how chumps are getting petrified in that place with all the hollow infantry just outside the Salamanders den.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Tensokuu posted:

Gonna ask a dumb question but as I don't know the answer and can't seem to confirm it online, might as well ask it here.

If I level my spell staff to say, +5, will it make my Magic Weapon enchant stronger? Or does that not matter? Trying to decide where to allocate my resources as I can now use MW and soon GMW. If upgrading my spell stick doesn't help my buff spells, then I'll spend those upgrades elsewhere.

Most buffs have some scaling element relating to duration or the value of the effect. Upgrading your spell stick is usually a good idea.

Edit: Hah I actually went and looked up the numbers out of curiosity and it looks like weapon buffs tend to scale with your base stats, not with your casting item. Welp!

Senethro fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 6, 2016