Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero One posted:

It feels exactly like The Daily Show.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing but... I was expecting more than just no censors.
TDS didn't talk about the Indian election or the Pom Wonderful Supreme Court case, so I get the sense this is TDS for a more worldly audience.

Which I'd be very happy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

What the gently caress was that even supposed to mean? I guess the real joke there is "McCain is senile as gently caress and lol you people wanted him to be president."
It means McCain doesn't really have any ideas to improve things and in this age of social media has fully embraced the role of repetitive talking head.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

Is the FCC's connection still being throttled or did they work that out?
It was just a tiny webhost that throttled them, as far as I know.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ClydeUmney posted:

As much as I love this show, the fact that they tweet out some of the big jokes and cameos as they happen on Twitter is a bit annoying - I always forget they do that and ruin some of the things for me before it plays out.
Then don't check Twitter when they're taping.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm surprised 4 million people watch Bill Maher.

Must be people too old for Daily Show/John Oliver and too young for CNN/MSNBC.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Drones are not "war". In the american public mind they're thought of(perhaps wrongly) as assassinations. And it is goddamn disturbing to realize the government has NO idea who they are killing.

But I agree that as enjoyable as John Oliver was, the research was pretty thin. I knew more about the issue just by occasionally following blogs like Andrew Sullivan's - not quite sure why they didn't attack the issue from a different angle.

It also felt a little repetitive to have a "We couldn't find any information!" a week after the miss america segment.
The problem of not finding any information was about US policy with respect to drone strikes, not about drones strikes in general as 60 Minutes would do it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Or accepting Social Security and Medicare when she became eligible for them. Her justification for it is pretty :laffo: too.
If the point of objectivism is being selfish, I don't see how it's inconsistent to take advantage of social services, even if you object to the existence of those services. I guess that's why there's so much hypocrisy amongst Randites.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

Here's something to whet your appetite before the next new episode.

Comedian John Oliver Has Actually Produced Investigative Journalism
I was hoping for something new but it's nothing we haven't discussed in this thread or decided for ourselves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really this show is just what The Bugle would be with an actual research staff.
I've been trying to go through the last couple years of Bugle podcasts and it's agonizing to get through Andy's non-jokes and John audibly laughing at them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

With the midterms coming in 2 weeks, I thought of doing animal court for Citizens United, but it's 90 minutes long and I'm not sure there's much tolerance for that.

Maybe for the announcement of the decision? Ugh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This took way, way too long to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1vmKun-vM

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Nope. Afghan is the people, Afghani is the currency.

E: Though technically Afghan only refers to one ethnic group, the Pashtuns. The other ethnic groups in Afghanistan would not necessarily consider themselves Afghans.
Arab is the people, Arabic is the language. Persians are Iranians.

The country is pronounced Ih-rahn, the adjective is pronounced Eye-rain-ian.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Should I expand my Puppy Court remix of Citizens United to the entire 90 min argument?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I couldn't really come up with a good hashtag, which is unfortunate since a lot of people get their news that way: #YouDownWithDPP

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

TED talks are stupid but not because the talks themselves are empty or contentless, but because of the philosophy they implicitly espouse: the "one clever trick" approach to solving the world's problems. That what we really need to solve XYZ is the right billionaire pet project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo5cKRmJaf0

(just found this and watching it now)
Highways would be one trick but they're not terribly clever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixgp9c_sGv4

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

slomomofo posted:

It's been a while now and who knows, maybe they've changed their approach, but I do know they were looking for general counsel attorneys using craigslist when they first opened their office in Austin.
That's gotta be a troll. What kind of lawyer who has to credentials to be in-house for a company as big as Google would look for jobs on Craigslist?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

This would be less of a problem if the IOC wasn't so deadset on the concept of the Olympic Village. Most developed countries have a lot of that required infrastructure already in place, just not all in one location. It's absurd to put world class facilities all in one city and expect people to make use of them.
Equestrian at the Beijing Olympics took place in Hong Kong.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

John really does have too much money if he's buying time on Trinidadian television just because he can.

He's getting drunk on that HBO money.
It was probably only like $1,000.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OhYeah posted:

They are completely different formats. They probably share a lot of the same viewers, but nonetheless, as far as talkshows go, they are about as different as you can get.
Yeah, one of them is a piece of crap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hemophilia posted:

Bill Maher sucks, he's been intolerable since forever unless you're a really specific kind of liberal, and even though I'm really far left, i'm not his kind of liberal, and I'd be happy if the world just moves on past him and his idiocy.
I thought Maher was a libertarian.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I love the term SJW because as soon as someone uses it as some sort of insult or whatever I instantly know how worthless their opinion is really cuts out a lot of guesswork.
Seems like a pretty effective way to reference gamegate-types.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xcore posted:

I always thought it was a cleanliness thing. Untrue?
This has the veracity of Asians having sideways vaginas.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

So, basically, "queer" just means you're not one of the squares, right? It increasingly seems like queer has no actual, useful real-life meaning, but instead is just an identifier to claim that you're in with the cool kids.

I mean, under that definition a gay man who is 100% unambiguously homosexual and just wants to have monogamous vanilla sex with his partner is apparently less queer than a heterosexual man who has never touched another man but owns a sex swing.
Is this a real post? :psyduck:

Queer means not heterosexual. That's it. Period.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is going on in this thread? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did you first learn about them from the season one West Wing episode? :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I too love Publix, and it's hard to explain my enthusiasm for a grocery store to people here. "It's like a not-poo poo version of Co-op!" doesn't really cut it.
We have a Publix and Kroger in the same shopping center not 2 miles from my house, and I always prefer to shop at the Publix unless something's on sale at Kroger.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mik posted:

I was at the taping and they filmed that whole bit twice, and the second time wasn't as funny as the first time - the back and forth between John and his "wife" was a lot funnier the first time, but it seems like the used the second go-round in the actual airing.
Was there a content reason for filming it twice or maybe something technical like bad video/audio?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

The two of them ending might cause a split vote and John sneaks in.
See: Jeff Daniels winning for season 1 of The Newsroom over Kevin Spacey and Bryan Cranston.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

There is no effort put into Last Week Tonight anymore. It's less like The Daily Show or Stephen Colbert, and more like Jimmy Fallon or Family Guy. Unlike Fallon or MacFarlene, John Oliver has talent, but he clearly isn't using it. I'm just glad that Trevor Noah made a positive impact to The Daily Show and Colbert is about as sharp as ever, because if it weren't for them, the landscape for this kind of show would be barren. But hey, at least he isn't mugging for the camera with funny faces like Jon Stewart did. You don't want to waste time that could be spent making a joke about Taylor Lautner, after all!
But Colbert isn't doing that kind of show anymore. :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nichael posted:

Honestly, I've never found Last Week Tonight that funny. It's the straightest of the "fake news" shows, and it fills that niche extremely well. I'm not seeing at all how you think there's no effort put into it. The effort is there, but the majority of it seems to go into research, which is fine.
Agreed. Last Week Tonight is not a comedy show. It's a news show with a few random jokes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LWT is basically a newsmagazine show, and we need that much more than comedy fake news satire. If you want laffs, there are plenty of other options.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Yeah I don't know if anyone really sent in jizz. It could have just been a funny way to end a recurring bit. Wouldn't really call it a debacle.
For someone with a 2005 reg date, you are painfully ignorant.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Americans learn how to pronounce Trudeau itt

(that was a good segment)
Except it's obviously pronounced True-dough

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

Stephen Harper obviously ate that kitten and I've hated him for years.

fake edit: referring to this picture:
That kitten looks terrified :ohdear:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One of Reince Priebus' lackeys said, "What if we literally pretended Obama was an empty chair?" and it just got out of control.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

So I'm a little confused - why is Fantasy Football illegal if it were gambling? Just because they didn't apply for a proper license (in which case, why don't they), or because its gambling on sports specifically? I apologise if that should seem obvious, but when my country has companies going by the name of 'Betfred', that the US companies should be playing sheepish is kind of... baffling.
Gambling nationally is illegal in the US because Jesus will kill everyone or something.

Gambling should be regulated, lest things turn into a Martin Scorsese film.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mavric posted:

:agreed:

edit: though actually didn't they completely do away with money in the federation?
Yeah, there's no money in intra-Federation transactions, but latinum is a recognized currency, specifically with respect to the Ferengi.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I fall into a different category: Oliver is the only one drawing attention to important issues. He is co-opted by the journalism tag, even if that wasn't his original intent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not against abolishing state governments and turning the United States of America into the United State of America. But that's not going to happen in my lifetime. Also, get rid of the U.S. Senate.
Lol if you thinking having the House run things is any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

If John Oliver is the one who takes down Donald Drumpf I might as well go buy lottery tickets because we live in a magical world :allears:
Reddit is too busy fawning over Leo's Oscar win for this to get any traction in the blogosphere. :(

• Locked thread