Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

gently caress you, Vince Vaughn.

That son-of-a-bitch Van Owen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bippie Mishap posted:

Jesus you idiots nipples will show through a bra if they are erect.

This and also I thought soundstages were really cold, to counteract how hot the astonishingly bright lights get. Or maybe I'm just remembering that about Letterman's stage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw Captain Marvel on the weekend and I cannot see a little rinky-dink honky-tonk country bar having Garbage playing on their wurlitzer-rear end jukebox

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think part of the idea behind putting humans in Transformers is selling the scale. These are all meant to be robots the size of houses, that turn into vehicles the size of a car or an airplane you would drive. (Unless they turn into something wacky like a regular sized handgun or a tape recorder or a microscope.)

When it's just robots duking it out on Cybertron it's easy to forget how big they're supposed to be. They could very well be human-sized and turning into something only as big as a Power Wheels jeep. So you end up with humans mixed into the action to up the spectacle.

Incidentally I wonder how the Beast Movie is going to handle the Maximal's scale, as in the 90s cartoon all the robots had downsized a ton "in the name of fuel efficiency", and in robot mode were a lot closer to human sized. There's a scene where Purple Dinosaur Megatron (who is not the same person as Gun Megatron) blows up the original Optimus Prime's head, and he is slightly smaller than Optimus Prime's head. My guess is in the movie the Maximals will all be big-robot sized and turn into giant animals. Which I'm ok with, considering I'm expecting them to be about as connected to the '96 crew as the original Bayformers were to their namesakes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Both Canada and the US raised their prime interest rates to the high teens to combat the rapid inflation that started with the 79 oil crisis. Great if you've got a lot of money socked away to just let it sit there and roll in the numbers like you're playing cookie clicker, not so great if you're trying to get a mortgage like my parents were at the time

I think that was pretty much done by the late 80s and Die Hard, but contemporary audiences probably would have understood what Hans was talking about

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GazChap posted:

I watched this for the first time the other day and wasn't exactly blown away given the rave reviews.

But one thing that really stuck out as an IIMM for me was the loving envelope that Costigan gives to the psychiatrist.

He says that she should open it if something happens to him, she puts it in a drawer and that's the last we see of it.

WHAT WAS IN IT!?

Marcellus Wallace's soul

Don't ask me how the hell it got to Boston

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still think it was weird that both Luke Evans and Orlando Bloom were in the Hobbit, and Luke Evans looked more like Orlando Bloom than Orlando Bloom did

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Bangin' theme song though.

The guy who was contracted to write it had writer's block until he got inspiration from Rick Hansen's Man In Motion world tour, Hansen being a Paralympic athlete who was wheelchairing through 30-plus countries and 40,000 km to raise funding for paralysis research and awareness for accessibility issues.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Swear the dude looked just like Tom Cruise tho.

Apparently as prep for the role Cruise spent a day delivering packages, with only a hat and sunglasses as a disguise, and didn't get recognized once

Of course Tom Cruise says a lot of things

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Tbf have you seen, for example, Zooey Deschanel without her bangs?

I would have absolutely no idea that this was the same person.

I remember this making the rounds with "this is why Clark Kent gets away with being Superman" appended to it, before that gif of Christopher Reeve just standing up straight and taking his glasses off replaced it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Face/Off would have been amazing if Nic Cage was capable of playing a character other than Nic Cage, because John Travolta is doing a Nic Cage impression for most of the movie and it's great

I know I'm partially responsible for the start of this conversation but a Cageless Face/Off would have been a very different movie

Might have been better, might have been worse, but as it is I watch it for Cage going completely off the loving handle as both Castor Troy and Sean Archer

Also the doves

And the tiramisu

Tangentially one of the things I liked about the Star Trek reboots was that everyone else was doing their own spin on the characters, and then there's Karl Urban, who should have been credited as "Karl Urban as Deforest Kelly as Leonard McCoy"

I read once he actually made Nimoy tear up, he was so bang-on

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

My favorite Cage movie is The Color Out Of Space. He's perfect.

You should check out Mom and Dad

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

A lot of it is probably because he's making good use of inspiration. A lot of Star Wars music can be traced back to Gustav Holst's The Planets suite among other pieces.

I'd wager the Superman fanfare owes more than a little to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man, too

But it's so inextricably linked to the character for me that it's weird when it's not there. A few years back when the Supergirl tv show introduced its version of Kal-el someone on YT redubbed the scene with the John WILLIAMS score and it worked perfectly

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair... we kind of treat the 90s like that now :P

The 90s was only a couple years ago until its funny to be horrified about how long its been since the 90s

gently caress, this must be how boomers felt about the 60s

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

The transformation warps Hulk's cornea and makes him very nearsighted. That's part of the reason he goes on unstoppable rampages, he genuinely can't tell which moving blur is friend or foe

That's also why it takes a character getting close enough to touch his face for him to calm down

Hulk is a moose

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, blasters are also apparently really inaccurate compared to say, contemporary rifles, though being basically gas and battery powered means they're still far more practical in-setting logistically than physical projectiles. Hence why you see some Clone Troopers dual-wielding blasters; if you're good enough with them it's genuinely better.

I'm not sure about "inaccurate", at least in terms of Star Wars, but blaster bolts do move a hell of a lot slower than bullets. The Star Wars setting does occasionally have normal projectile weapons, called slugthrowers, though I can never remember why they're not used more often. I know sometimes shotguns get hauled out as anti-Jedi weaponry, on the basis of "deflect all these at once, you sorcerous rear end in a top hat."

Stargate SG-1 famously addressed the blasters vs firearms issue with the weapon of terror/weapon of war scene.
https://youtu.be/NjlCVW_ouL8

(I suspect gun people might chuckle about the P90 being presented as a "weapon of war", or about sawing the log in half with those bullets, or point out that having those two jamokes stand down by the logs is terrible range discipline)

Also I remember Babylon 5 using blasters because, unlike bullets, they weren't likely to punch through the hull and space everyone.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I noticed a similar issue halfway through Mulholland Drive last night and wasn't sure if I could finish it between that and the jarring combo of both overacting and underacting

I was gonna post some hogwash about there being an El Chapulin Colorado-rear end slide whistle when the guy at Winkies collapses out of sheer terror (like there was in the barrel roll ramp jump in that one Bond movie, or when Wayne Knight slips and falls on his rear end in Jurassic Park)

But now I wish there actually was one, that'd be awesome

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IshmaelZarkov posted:

My IIMM with Midnight Mass is the fanatical church lady who's so obviously cartoonishly evil that the rest of the characters should have probably tied her to a raft and floated her out to see before the show even begins.

I find the supernatural portion of the show easier to believe that this lady not having been catapulted into the ocean by an angry mob.

If the last five years have taught me anything, that part's absolutely realistic.

Kind of like how if I ever watch another zombie movie I'm going to call bullshit on it if it doesn't have hordes of uninfected people walking straight into the zombies while screaming "I refuse to live in fear"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

Hardcore Henry did it, speaking of video game-adjacent movies

Also Willy's Wonderland, which totally isn't Five Nights At Freddy's, We Swear

(It's not good but you may still enjoy Nick Cage beating the bejesus out of animatronic characters)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Also, having grown up where tornados are common, unless that RV was a LOT more heavily armored than it looked, all staking it to the road would mean is that the shredded remains of the RV would be easy to find after the tornado passed. I've seen 2x4s driven through cinderblock walls. A lot of movies make this mistake with tornados, even, famously, Twister, the movie about tornados, i.e. it's not the wind -- it's what else is in the wind. A tornado is not a small hurricane, where you tie everything down and ride out the wind. A tornado is the cartoon Tasmanian Devil carrying meat cleavers in both hands.

Yeah as much as I enjoy Twister, plot armor is in full effect for the protagonists, and that includes the 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with optional V10, now available at your local Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth dealer. (Check how often the windscreen heals itself between cuts, it's practically a Blues Brother.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

Blade Trinity might have been his first major film role. He played Ryan Reynolds.

He was playing Ryan Reynolds on Two Guys A Girl and a Pizza Place

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

I mean... in a way she was a Clone Wars orphan

From a certain point of view

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

somepartsareme posted:

It came from upriver!

IIRC the actual line was "It came up the river" but Chip and Ironicus misheard it as "upriver" and just ran with it cause it was funnier

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I didn't park the drat thing!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna say "if you have a chance to write rastas into your movie, you take it" but I don't know if that's so much the case any more

But that prompted me to go find out what the hell movie I saw on cable when I was in my early teens that had a pair of rastafarian walking eyeballs in it, turns out that was Freaked by Alex "Bill S Preston, Esq." Winter and I probably gotta watch it again sometime

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

One thing that seemed weird to me, and maybe it's just covid sensitizing me to it, but I thought this movie was filmed pre-covid and then just shelved for a while. But watching the movie it seems like it was filmed during covid, because it's just so empty of people.

Nah, southern Alberta's just like that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

And therein lies the only reason to talk about the Ultimates.

Miles Morales and Sam Jackson Nick Fury ? Or like do you mean specifically the Ultimates title and not the broader alternate universe, in which case sure

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Inque from Batman Beyond was amazing in every way. her only flaw was not being used more.

I didn't watch much of Beyond so the only bad guy I remember from the series proper was Henry Rollins as a literal bomb-throwing anarchist

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Name another movie where Morgan Freeman hurls a gigantic scimitar overhand to chop up an evil witch

Also the fanfare slaps

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's a well known issue

Fwiw the original script makes a point of saying that the area where the Rex broke out onto the road was "gentl[y] terraced" but the car is next to a sharp dropoff, not that the film is successful in making the topography clear

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Dark Knight Rises is pure piss but Tom Hardy is having so much fun :allears:

I heard this drum and bass song once that sampled DKR that just went on for loving everrrrr but the one upside was getting familiar with the positively jolly inflection Hardy puts on "I was born in it... MOLDED by it!:buddy:"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Also the movie is all about doing original things, now here is an extended sequence that is just referencing other franchises.

All this griping, you'd think the movie was called Expensive Guy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ardent Communist posted:

Plus, was she tip toeing? They established that just her moving around causing small ground tremors and a thumping noise. but when she's indoors nothing? Still a great movie and a great scene, but it's a bit odd.

See, I'm comfortable with this. The tremors were noticeable and significant in otherwise quiet moments, but at this point in the movie Ellie, Alan and the kids are fleeing for their lives from extremely dangerous (and loud) predators, and I can take the camera not signalling the rex's approach as visual shorthand for the characters being a little too busy to notice it either.

That kind of behind-the-black shenangianry happens at a couple of other points in the film, too, though I wouldn't call it a vital element of the movie's visual style like I would with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sobatchja Morda posted:

My Neighbor Toronto

:lmao:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Also, they live in Markham

I thought that either they said in the movie or a review I read before watching that it was in "Toronto's Chinatown"

I wouldn't be surprised if there were enough details in the landscape that you could solidly identify it as one or the other. IIRC quickest way to check if it's Markham or not is, are the street signs blue or green? I don't remember what they were in the movie.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Namor first showed up in the unpublished Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly. I remember this because you can sing that title to the Meow Mix theme.

It's old news by now but any line in trochaic tetrameter can be fit into the Ninja Turtles theme song

E: oh yeah the first comics superhero crossover was between Namor and the first Human Torch (who was an android that could set himself on fire at will), with Namor trying to flatten NYC with a tidal wave for endlessly loving with his oceans, and Torch trying to, uh, make him not do that

Phy has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Mar 29, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That would have been so much better than a Dodge Viper commercial writ large.

Are you confusing a 90s action tv show about a guy with a fast car named after a snake with Viper?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only time I really loved and hated the sound mixing was in John Wick 3. Amazing sound design, but at the end with the shotguns, holy gently caress you could feel your teeth vibrate. It was like they decided "Hey, these are shotguns, so they gotta be LOUD AS gently caress" "But, the other guns are just kinda loud, we can just boost the volu" "SSSHHHH. LOUD. AS. gently caress."

Walked out of the movie happy, but with a headache. gently caress that movie was loud.

I maintain that just once I want to walk out of a Thor movie with my ears bleeding. He's the God of Thunder, not the God of Zappy AC Voltage. A few years ago a bolt of lightning hit a transformer in an alley a block away from me and I fuckin thought something in my house had exploded.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostradingus posted:

I just watched the Castle of Cagliostro on Netflix and the subtitles were substantially different from what was being spoken. I suspect the subtitles were a more direct translation of the original Japanese while the English dub took some liberties with the plot. It was really discombobulating

I've noticed that occasionally too, the Netflix English subtitles are subs (as in, a translation of the dialogue) and not closed captioning of the dub track. Which is annoying when you're in the habit of watching with captions but you've heard the dub is pretty good.

Actually, now I wonder how they handled captioning on such like Cowboy Bebop where the dub got way more popular than the original.

But yeah it's usual for the dub to depart from the literal translation more than the subs do. At the very least, the dub has to match the lip flaps, so even a good sub translation that communicates not just the words, but the tone behind them, might not work when spoken unless the phrasing is monkeyed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It's Sean Penn, that isn't really that far out of the way

Somehow I conflated Sean Penn and Ethan Hawke and I kept wondering why the guy who beat up Madonna kept getting work in the 2020s

Ethan Hawke turns out to be okay as far as I know, I'm just a dolt