Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't Kit Fisto part of the crew trying to arrest Sheev?

Yes.

Also, there are at least two other black guys in the original trilogy. How can you all forget Grizz Frix and Willrow Hood?

I just spent like 20 minutes to figure out that first name. Already knew the second. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were remakes of 60s TV shows a big thing in the 90s? Because in the 90s, you also had The Beverly Hillbillies starring Jim Varney, The Flintstones with John Goodman and Rick Moranis, two The Addams Family movies, and I think two Brady Bunch films, and probably more.

Also from roughly the same time frame, you had The Untouchables and The Fugitive as two of the higher profile ones. And a few years later, that really crappy Avengers movie.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m not sure if :thejoke: or not, and I know it’s referenced the first time McCoy shows up that he’d slept with previous assistants, but wasn’t Claire Kincaid the only one he had a relationship with during the course of the show? I thought it was pretty clear after that he never does anything with the others (Jamie Ross even mentions setting him up with a friend once)...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Imagined posted:

If it was the Friar Tuck from the Kevin Costner movie, absolutely would in a heartbeat.

"THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER TO PAY THE DEVIL ON YOUR WAY TO HELL"

I’m just amazed Mike McShane is still alive. He looked like he was gonna have his heart attack from Office Space in real life in some of the mid-90’s British Whose Line episodes...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jedit posted:

Well, if you want irrationally irritating: the Korean War lasted from 1950 to 1953, but every one of the eleven seasons of M*A*S*H has its own Christmas episode.

M*A*S*H makes no attempt to keep a consistent timeline with the actual Korean War for almost its entire run. Aside from a Christmas episode every season, I’m pretty sure they have the 1950 Chinese entry into the war more than once, well after episodes that already involved them, plus a good episode that covered all of 1951 in it, or references to generals like McArthur and Ridgeway all at random.

Like, ten of the eleven seasons take place in a nebulous 1951/1952 setting (I think the opening of the pilot said it was supposed to be 1952?), and I vaguely remember that the final season kinda-sorta sticks to 1953 as they headed toward the finale.

A similar example is the old World War II show Combat! It was very good for its era, being fairly grounded and following basically an American rifle platoon in France after D-Day in the pilot. The war in Europe ended 11 months later, but all 5 seasons are set in generic French villages and countryside, with few real efforts to involve the real progress of the war that I can recall.

Both shows are really good and I do like them, just to be clear, but those weren’t things that seemed to be done until fairly recently.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

I think MASH was just a thinly disguised allegory for Vietnam. Even though it was set in Korea, everyone took it as a Vietnam commentary. poo poo, when I watched it as a kid I just assumed they were Nam.

And my IIMM with MASH is the fact that these surgeons are drunk as gently caress 24/7 and never know when wounded are incoming and it's only ever addressed in ONE episode to my knowledge. Motherfuckers would be straight up botching operations or too drunk to work on a constant basis given how much they're shown drinking.

Yeah, a lot of MASH is clearly meant to reflect Vietnam, since the war was still going on pretty heavily when the show started in ‘72. Over time, that faded a bit, and there are definitely some episodes that touch on it being more on the 50’s.

And did they have an episode about them addressing their drinking? I know there’s one with a nurse friend of Margaret’s having severe withdrawals, and maybe one of the early episodes with Alan Alda’s dad’s character being drunk (That came to me as I typed this), but I honestly can’t remember it being ever mentioned as an issue for the main cast at all...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

God Hole posted:

left the show early to try to launch a movie career (then spider man 3 happened lol) and everyone kind of blamed him afterward for killing the show (even though kutcher kinda dipped out first).

I’m not sure if it was announced this way or not, but Topher Grace left the show first. Eric ran off to Africa at the end of season 7, while Ashton Kutcher still appeared as a guest in the 4 or 5 episodes of season 8.

Eric was supposed to be replaced by a guy named Charlie, but...

muscles like this! posted:

When Topher Grace left That '70s Show they brought in a new guy who was really obviously supposed to be the new Eric. Although they ended up killing him off fairly quickly because he got a better offer on another show.

At least I don’t remember Charlie being completely terrible in the handful of episodes he appeared. They other people they brought in for season 8, namely the second attempted Eric replacement, Randy, and Hyde’s wife, where just awful and it became so clear almost everybody was checked out.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Offhand & phone posting, but I think it was more of a case that not everyone actually believed it, or that it was occurring to such an extent, until they got to the camps.

People knew bad stuff was happening to the Jews and others, but to what extent is something of a debate, and how much actually made it down to frontline troops is another matter. A lot of the things that actually happened in the camps had been reported in the WWI too (Babies into bonfires and whatnot), where it turned out to be false, and rumors of insane stuff were always going around.

It’s not hard for soldiers to dismiss some of the rumors of the camps as exaggerated or false, until units actually found them. IIRC most accounts of units finding the camps, particularly from the Western Allied armies, pretty much had the same “:stare: holy poo poo” reaction that they show in Band of Brothers.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 19:40 on May 31, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Carthag Tuek posted:

I'm sure there were some soldiers who didn't know or believe it, but it's all of them, even the officers.

Including generals like Eisenhower and Patton. Until they saw the camps too, they believed some of it had to be propaganda.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

FreudianSlippers posted:

The first camps, the ones for political prisoners, opened in 1933 and weren't really a secret.

Very, very different thing from what was going in camps after 1941, Wannsee, and the general state of Germany in 1945.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Sand Monster posted:

Much less world affairs but as we saw where Bill Guarnere didn't even know his brother had been killed, having found out because the wife of a fellow soldier mentioned it in a letter to her husband, they're not even up to date on highly personal news.

Or the Niland brothers, the inspiration for Saving Private Ryan. The one in the 101st wasn’t told about his brothers being reported KIA and pulled from combat for something like 3 or 4 weeks. IIRC, he first found out about two of them because he went to try and visit their units and found out they’d been killed weeks earlier on D-Day. It took a decent bit of time for the information to get to the War Department or whoever and issue his orders to go home (Compared to the movie showing it all happening by D+3 or whatever). And even then, the brother in the Pacific was actually alive and a POW, but it took till the summer of ‘45 for that news to get back.

Again, it’s a much more personal, smaller level than the stuff like the extermination camps or the exact conditions of the concentration camps, but I think it helps show how much longer it took information to spread at the time. The examples from Generation Kill about J-Lo being killed (And I think there were others thrown around, but that’s easily the most memorable) show that sort of stuff in a more modern context.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who else hit solid-gold only once in their career?

Michael Cimino probably qualifies. IIRC, The Deer Hunter was the first big movie he directed, but the next one he did was Heaven’s Gate which absolutely bombs and he never does much of anything again.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Krispy Wafer posted:

Can ghosts cross the Atlantic ocean?

You do look at Ferris Bueller a little differently when you realize he's killed as many people as O.J.

Huh, so this is how I learned Matthew Broderick killed some people.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
https://youtu.be/6Sh1wNjjPpg

This was pretty good.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The Circle, in addition to being a bland, boring movie with zero likable characters, never seems to decide on what message it's trying to send. Emma Watson gets her friend killed by embracing mass surveilance and using it to stalk people...so her solution is to fight even harder for the idea that there should be no privacy? And then at the end she actually smiles and says hello at the drones that are filming her kayaking? You know, the type of thing that got her friend killed? It seems to be saying "mass surveillance is good, except when it's not". Make up your mind.

The only things I remember about that movie were John Boyega have like 2 minutes of screen time and Tom Hanks dropping the f-bomb at the end getting a bigger reaction than almost anything else that was actually part of the plot.

Oh, and Bill Paxton :smith:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Phone posting, but it’s at like 3:25 of this video

https://youtu.be/CDj_sgTnm-U

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s a little surprising that Harrison Ford only has 2 characters, but then again what other character are they going to use? A LEGO playset for the film Sabrina?

I’d buy a LEGO Air Force One set in a loving heartbeat. Probably The Fugitive and Blade Runner too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Revenge of the Sith is set 19 years before A New Hope; The Force Awakens is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi, or 34 years after A New Hope. Rey is 19 in The Force Awakens, putting her birth 15 years after A New Hope. If Palpatine - who was 63 in Revenge - hosed before he was revealed to be Darth Sidious (and thereby gained his scarring), his child would have been at least 34 years old when Rey was born, and (hopefully) no more than 79. Completely reasonable.

:goonsay:

It doesn’t matter if it’s the new movies or the old EU or whatever, Palpatine always fucks.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Jedis in modern society would absolutely be Whole Foods liberals

And when you're at that gender reveal party you'd have to listen politely to the mom as she explains how a crystal extracted from the holiest cave of the most far-flung moon in the galaxy completely cured her little Annakyn's autism

I mean, if you use the crystal the right way, in the right tool, it’ll cure anything.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Captain Monkey posted:

Is this sharks in Antarctica, a shark that was frozen in Antarctica but thawed due to global warming, a shake that bred with an ant, or a conglomeration of sharks formed into a colony with a queen shark?

E. All of the above. :getin:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Android Apocalypse posted:

Remember when Dennis Miller was in the announcer booth for Monday Night Football?

No?

Good. It was that bad.

What’s funny is those two years had a few of insane, all time games when he was there. The Dolphins-Jets Monday Night Miracle, Favre to Freeman “He did what?!” in overtime. I’d rather here him make insane references to poo poo than whatever Phil Simms was doing for a decade other than saying “Jeem” a lot.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wasn't Rush Limbaugh doing play-by-play around that same time too? It was a weird era for football.

He wasn’t on an in game broadcast, he was on ESPN’s pregame show for part of one season. He’d basically have like one 5 minute segment in a 2 hour show that was supposed to be a “fans voice” sort of thing. He lasted literally only like the first month of the season before he said racist poo poo about :mcnabb: and got fired, after which it came out that Chris Berman and Tom Jackson (Who were the main guys on that show for 20+ years) hadn’t wanted him involved in the first place.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

rydiafan posted:

I'm still angry that after 11 films we've never gotten to see a Matter and Commander style broadside in a Star Wars film.

There are a few broadsides shown in the opening battle of Revenge of the Sith, and I think in some of the Clone Wars stuff as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

theironjef posted:

In the Expanded Universe timelines, E-Wings are a ship built to replace the X-Wing. They're newer, more expensive, a little smaller, and can carry some more advanced weapons. Here's a small tour through the soup of letter-wings.

1. V-Wing: From the prequels, looks like an A-wing with really thin foldable TIE wings that snap up on the sides. Supposed to represent the future of both Imp and Rebel fighters.
2. D-Wing: From on of the RPGs. Ugly half-disc thing with one tie wing on one side. Sucks.
3. H-Wing: Big tanky thing, looks kind of like a two-headed Y-Wing.
4. K-Wing: Basically an ugly space A-10, it's all hardpoints and actually has sub wings that point at an angle down from the main wings just to hang more missiles on.
5. T-Wing: The shittiest ship for the worst enemy pilots in TIE Fighter the PC game. Basically built to 'splode, if Star Wars was a shooter this would be that level 1 ship that just flies at you and if you blow up a whole string of them you get a powerup. Looks like an X-Wing fuselage with three little engine stub-wings sticking out in a delta shape.

Plus Rogue One added the U-wing, and the old EU had a different V-wing that showed up in the Dark Empire comic and Rogue Squadron 64 game.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cowslips Warren posted:

2. Yes but survived somehow. There's probably a million fanfics about it.

3. Nope. The clones are not stormtroopers. Although logically again, if there is a thing called The Clone Wars, shouldn't it have been, I don't know, clones of Jedi or amazing fighters, and the rest of the Good Guys/Jedi defeating them? Nope. The Clone Wars was between one dude being cloned like a million times, and loving robots.

Just to add on to these two, Fett surviving the sarlacc was a thing since the early days of the old EU. Naturally, there are contradictory stories of how long he was in there or how he got out, but the basic gist of all them was he used something explosive (His backpack, its rocket launcher, a grenade, or whatever) to get out.

For the Clones, again going with some stuff from the old EU that may not be canon anymore, they stopping using solely Jango Fett clones after the Clone Wars end. There was briefly a period of using clones of multiple people, not just Jango Fett, but the Empire quickly switched to just recruiting or conscripting humans from all the planets they controlled as it was much faster and cheaper to train them than to raise a clone army, so the clones were mostly gone (Either from combat or advanced aging) by the OT.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

oldpainless posted:

Would Goof Troop count?

Only this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
That picture is actually from an Avtomat. Easy mistake to make.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

HopperUK posted:

i know there are good storytelling and time-saving reasons we don't see things like people properly saying goodbye on the phone, or people paying taxicabs, or whatever. But for some reason it's starting annoying me that nobody on TV or in movies ever has to pee right when they wake up. Surely it's the first thing almost everyone does in real life. And it's not even that I want to see it. It just annoys me that I don't. I don't know what I want.

IIRC, they use that as part of a morning wood joke a few times in The 40-Year Old Virgin too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

christmas boots posted:

The best Star Wars example (from the old continuity anyway) was probably Jabba's Rancor trainer who apparently hated how the beast was being mistreated and was saving up the credits to buy him off Jabba and, I dunno, take him to some kind of Rancor sanctuary to live out his days in peace and almost had enough when Luke showed up and killed it. And it's just, lmao why?

Because Kevin J. Anderson wrote that story, of course.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that’s from the old Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story collection from 1996, so it’s not canon anymore. To my mild surprise as I just checked my old copy, that story was by Kevin J. Anderson, who usually doesn’t do anything intentionally funny.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cowslips Warren posted:

Other than The Sixth Sense for pretty much being the first in its generation, what movies do the twist ending with any real decency?

The original Planet of the Apes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The Academy Awards have always been dumb. Go look at the movies that beat Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, or Raging Bull for Best Picture, or how some movies like Full Metal Jacket or the aforementioned Do The Right Thing weren’t even nominated.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

flavor.flv posted:

The worst part about Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face is that the Burton movies had already set up a different actor who would have done a much better job

At least he finally got to play Two-Face in the Lego Batman Movie.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Baron von Eevl posted:

They definitely used less of Mrs Bouvier, but I think it's because Julie hated doing that voice.

Regarding Marge’s mom, I thought this was the reason as well. Similarly, Dr. Marvin Monroe is in a bunch of episodes in the first few seasons and was dropped because the voice was difficult and uncomfortable for Harry Shearer to do, with the show making jokes about the character having died before having him pop up a handful of times like 15 years later.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a fair enough explanation. Now onto the second part of my irritation:

Why were they torturing the box with legs?

It’s a Gonk droid and everyone is jealous of them.

Gonk.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, and it’s spelled out as “Threepio” during dialogue in most novels and comics. Same with R2-D2 being “Artoo” and so on for other droids.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

8one6 posted:

Yodas are popular. The next series will have a sexy girl Yoda named Yodette.

Prequel movie about Yaddle to make the life of whoever created this old classic:

Mildly :nws:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Also keep in mind for the “leave the gun” thing is it’s a movie from the 70s set in the 40s, so a lot of what would be done to trace the weapon today like DNA or whatever wouldn’t have been a consideration. I don’t even know if cars back then had VINs or stuff to make them as easily traceable as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Sand Monster posted:

I thought it was that the scare scene was just re-shot again. Hooper and Brody have the conversation with the mayor about finding the tooth, unless that was also added.

It was just reshot:

Wikipedia posted:

Spielberg also decided that he was greedy for "one more scream", and reshot the scene in which Hooper discovers Ben Gardner's body, using $3,000 of his own money after Universal refused to pay for the reshoot. The underwater scene was shot in Fields's swimming pool in Encino, California, using a lifecast latex model of Craig Kingsbury's head attached to a fake body, which was placed in the wrecked boat's hull. To simulate the murky waters of Martha's Vineyard, powdered milk was poured into the pool, which was then covered with a tarpaulin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's a scene in a Simpsons episode where they go to Itchy and Scratchy Land and, after things go haywire, Bart smashes a window and grabs a bunch of cameras so the family can use the flashes to kill the robots.

Then he turns and smashes a second window and steals some poo poo from it.

Up until last year when someone posted a gif of it in the Simpsons meme thread, I had no idea that second part even existed. It was not only never broadcast in Australia, even our version of the DVDs had it removed.

EDIT:

should state right at the moment in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8S6EkE68A&t=142s

A lot of that is using syndication versions of the show, and for the Simpsons there are more than a few. A good example recently has been the Lowmer meme, which came from a cut away joke that was apparently cut out of certain American TV versions for time, so some people didn’t know where it was from at first.