Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

Yep, the fact that these were once completely normal people is really hosed up. It really hits home how anyone could be brought into cult in a time of weakness. The bit about them having to hide for fear of guards shooting them, were the guards actually instructed to shoot anyone who refused to kill themselves, or where they just there to imply it? From the wiki: "A total of 909 Temple members died in Jonestown, all but two from apparent cyanide poisoning" One of them was obviously Jones himself, I'm not sure about the other, but it looks although nobody was shot trying to escape. It's mind blowing to think that with the exception of the few who hid, nobody tried to actively resist. Also the guards themselves must have taken the poison willingly. I just can't imagine how brain washed they must have been to go through with it after everyone else was dead.

It's unnerving for me because most cults would never have appealed to me even at my weakest points. This one though - if you watch the beginning of the doco, it's easy to see the appeal. Completely racially integrated at a time of great racial turmoil; based on ideas of sharing wealth and supporting the poor; full of hip young people. It's really easy to see how smart, sane people got drawn in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

dpack_1 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

I actually lived in PA for a year or so and didn't know about this place at the time I was there.

Ghost towns always kinda creep me out and one that's pretty much on fire for the foreseeable future would be extra creepy.

EDIT:

Similar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island

This looks like an awesome place to spend a weekend camping or some poo poo with a dozen buddies playing the most amazing game of paintball ever conceived.

Funnily enough, when I lived in Nagasaki in the late 90s, the locals told me Hashima was uninhabited because of a never-ending underground coal fire. I was quite disappointed to find out that wasn't the case.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Oh good, someone else thinks this. I was starting to wonder if maybe I was a bit odd.
[/quote]

Oh no, you definitely are, it's just the author of the article is also a bit odd.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Or someone got former and latter mixed up.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

DryGoods posted:

How do you deal with a child who just can't follow the rules or is too violent for you? Maybe your kid doesn't want to go to school or decided to run away. The answer for northern Florida for 111 years was the Florida School for Boys.

Another option was to give them a lobotomy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Dully

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Rochallor posted:

The Cagots were a minority group in Europe who were persecuted for hundreds of years. They were restricted to certain unclean jobs, like other traditionally ostracized groups.

But the thing about the Cagots is that nobody knows why they were hated.

Either nobody cared enough to write down what it was that was different about the Cagots, or there was never any difference. The absolute pinnacle of bigotry. Ur-bigotry. They were hated just because.

This is pretty much exactly the same as burakumin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burakumin

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

it's on vimeo, I'm about to watch it.

Edit: ended up watching it on YouTube. it's a horrible story. The husband is a bit of a prick, so I had a hard time having any sympathy for him at all, especially after seeing the last part of the above post. He was desperate to convince everyone she wasn't drunk, even suggesting a tooth abscess gave her a stroke and made her drink vodka thinking it was water. Wtf.

She was by most accounts a nice lady. She was driving drunk, with five kids in her car. There's no forgiving that, I don't care how nice she was before the rtc.

If you drink every time the sister-in-law says "it's ironic", you'll end up drunker than Diane Schuler.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Rucksack 2K14 posted:

How about a town in Oklahoma where children used to play on hills of lead-tainted debris? The city was founded in 1920 and shut down in 2009 after lead mining ...left a third of the children with developmental delays/disorders due to ingestion.

wikipedia posted:

Picher, Oklahoma
Notable people[edit]
Joe Don Rooney, country musician with the band Rascal Flatts.[26]

thingsthatexplainalot.txt

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

freelop posted:

As said, decent pilots can make a difference.
See The Gimli Glider or my personal favourite British Airways Flight 9 which has this quote from the captain:

:britain:

I prefer this quote from the same article:

quote:

It was, in Moody's words, "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse."

:britain:

Anyway, I'm a fan of the piloting in this incident https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

quote:

Suddenly, there was a loud bang, and the fuselage quickly filled with condensation. The left windscreen, on the captain's side of the cockpit, had separated from the forward fuselage. Lancaster was jerked out of his seat by the rushing air and forced head first out of the cockpit, his knees snagging onto the flight controls. This left him with his whole upper torso out of the aircraft, and only his legs inside. The door to the flight deck was blown out onto the radio and navigation console, blocking the throttle control which caused the plane to continue gaining speed as they descended, while papers and other debris in the passenger cabin began blowing towards the cockpit. On the flight deck at the time, flight attendant Nigel Ogden quickly latched his hands onto the captain's belt. Susan Price and another flight attendant began to reassure passengers, secure loose objects, and take up emergency positions. Meanwhile, Lancaster was being battered and frozen in the 345 mph wind,[3] and was losing consciousness due to the thin air.

Atchison began an emergency descent, re-engaged the temporarily disabled autopilot, and broadcast a distress call. Due to rushing air on the flight deck, he was unable to hear the response from air traffic control. The difficulty in establishing two-way communication led to a delay in British Airways being informed of the emergency and consequently delayed the implementation of the British Airways Emergency Procedure Information Centre plan.

Ogden, still latched onto Lancaster, had begun to suffer from frostbite, bruising and exhaustion. He was relieved by the remaining two flight attendants. By this time Lancaster had already shifted an additional six to eight inches out the window. From the flight deck, the flight and cabin crew were able to view his head and torso through the left direct vision window. Lancaster's face was continuously hitting the direct vision window

The plane landed just fine for everybody except the guy who was blown out the window.

He had hospital treatment, returned to work five months later, and flew happily until he reached retirement age

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm assuming they would lose a lot of their absorbancy and what not if they were 100% cotton as well though. So its a toss up. Take out your blood soaked internal bandage before bed or have less blood stains in your clothes every month.

Eh, mooncups eliminate the problem.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Rondette posted:

There was an article a few years ago, I think it would have been 2009, the twentieth anniversary, which had survivor accounts. They were absolutely harrowing, and I remember reading it on the train and nearly crying. I can't imagine anything worse than what those people went through.

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/docs/LCS000001110001.pdf

Read it and weep. Awful.

I've always struggled to comprehend what crowd crush disasters were like. After reading those descriptions I'm not struggling anymore.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

The media is complicit to some degree for their constant reporting of "trampling" when a crowd crush occurs - implying that people are killed because of a mad, frenzied rush - when a crowd crush is caused by a large number of people providing steady forward pressure.

I find the term "Stampede", which is so often used in headlines about crowd crush disasters, offensive for this reason.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

Dear god that's horrifying. People being brutally crushed and asphyxiated as they scream for help... and there's no dramatic cause. No stampede, no fire, no running from an explosion. Just a human tide slowly pushing forward. Just one person crowding another into pushing another into pushing harder on another into crushing another alive. The people at the back don't even realize they're obliterating people up front.

:stare:

When the people at the front start collapsing, people just behind them start to tip forward, which gives people further back the impression that the crowd is finally moving forward and they'll be out of the situation soon, so they move further forward...

Honestly, I think the only way out of a crowd crush is not to be in one.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

fun hater posted:

the difference between you and the donner party is that you dont get invited to parties

content: woman subjects boy to hour long ct scan for no apparent reason

Would you entrust your child to Raven Knickerbocker of Mad River Hospital?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Jose posted:

i haven't etiher but i think a non-major earthquaek might be fun

major earthquakes are not that bad, if you're lucky. Course they're poo poo if you're unlucky.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
New Zealand is small as hell but people still die in the bush because they underestimate how isolated and wild it can be.

Semi related, this happened recently on a really popular hiking track and is pretty unnerving:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83536051/czech-tramper-dead-on-routeburn-track-partner-rescued-after-month-in-hut

She could easily have starved to death in a secure hut on a well-traveled track, just because she and her partner didn't leave notice of their intentions.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That's a terrible and unnerving experience (and RIP that dude), but one thing in the article bugs me. Not about the article itself, but how the situation came about.

This seems to be one of the most common threads about people dying in the wilderness, in that most of them are under-prepared or even actively refuse advice to the contrary. It's good to be a skeptic, to question the advice of others a little and do your own research, but it's quite another thing to get advice from an expert, write it off immediately, and then act bewildered that anything could have ever gone wrong. It's like when people ignore advice from their doctors about their health and then act surprised when they take ill or die. It's frustrating, and sad, in that it leads to lethal situations like this that could have been avoided. Leading a horse to water, etc., etc.

It's definitely a big problem in new Zealand - tourists tend to underestimate how much trouble they can get into in such a small and temperate-seeming place. Especially if they're from a place where there's cellphone coverage everywhere. The New Zealand bush eats half a dozen tourists a year and occasionally the odd local. That said, it sounds like it's a problem anywhere with wilderness.

slinkimalinki has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Sep 3, 2016

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Helith posted:

My favourite unnerving thing about New Zealand was finding out about the Auckland Volcanic Field when we visited the first time.

Basically New Zealands biggest city is sited on top of a field of magma that has produced 50 small volcanos. Who knows where it will next erupt, or when or what kind of eruption it will be and what effects it will have. Will it be under the water and cause a tsunami? or an earthquake? hot steam blasts or gasses? Ash falls? Take your bets!

The actual risk is very small statistically, but it's really unnerving to read about and then notice all those little conical hills around the city.

Eh, it's fine, it's the Taupo megavolcano you need to worry about.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Bogart posted:

Why do they call it the bush? Is that a term adapted from the indigenous Australians?

Bush in this context means pristine native forest.It seems to be a word that got used with different meanings by British colonisers in different parts of the world, with an overarching sense of "untamed area".

Unless you're talking to someone else because you mention indigenous Australians? There's no connection whatsoever between indigenous Australians and New Zealand.

slinkimalinki has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Sep 4, 2016

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I was in Japan at the time of the Tokaimura incident and the details of managerial callousness and incompetence were horrifying. It's not mentioned in the wikipedia article but I swear details emerged at some point that they were using a hotplate to heat the uranium solution.

It was also revealed at the time that homeless day-labourers were picked up each morning to work at nuclear reactors and when they had exceeded the safe length of time to be exposed to radiation, they were bussed to another site to continue working.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Reading a bunch of wiki articles about fires in a row, it's depressing how often they talk about people "panicking and stampeding" towards the exits when the truth is more likely to be that people were just trying to get out an exit that was far too small for the number of people who needed to escape. I feel like it shifts the blame onto the people who were in the buildings.

That Oakland place looks cool as hell, but not cool enough to die for.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've buried a bunch of my friends because of drugs,

Were they dead at the time or do you just like burying people?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Despite being 53 minutes of beeps and boops, the morse code communications between Titanic and the other ships in the vacinity are legitimately scaring me the gently caress out.

That's desperately frustrating and sad.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

mal era posted:

Related, and I guess this is unnerving in its own right…

I have followed this thread for a long time and always hoped to contribute, but maybe not in this way.

De-lurking for the first time in years to respond to this general subject (and not the poster personally) about the abuse of police scene photographs:

Thank you for posting that. I'm sorry that loving horrible thing happened to you and your family.
And it's pretty loving disturbing how often a similar story would have played out for other people.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Back in 1974, a young woman was found murdered in the Stanford University campus church with an ice pick embedded in the back of her head and a three foot long candlestick in her vagina. There have been a shitton of speculation throughout the years, ranging from a satanic cult being involved to her husband (unrelated but he later became a psychologist who worked with traumatized children) or a flutist who was seen in the church on the night of her murder. The truth is far simpler. Earlier this week, a more advanced DNA test proved that the murderer was the campus security guard who discovered her body. Unfortunately(?), he killed himself when the cops showed up to arrest him.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/28/sheriff-suspect-in-infamous-1974-stanford-chapel-murder-shoots-self-as-detectives-close-in/

She was only 19.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Well, poo poo.
One Navy Seal has now died in the cave.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/105301519/thai-navy-seal-has-died-in-thailand-cave-rescue

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Gatekeeper posted:

i've been undergoing ECTs again (electroconvulsive treatment, or shock treatment if ya nasty) and this time the prick Dr is doin bi-temporal instead of unilateral zaps. no side effects from the unilateral ones, but these bi-fuckers are turning my memory to mush

like i got out of the hospital and was headed home and quietly inside i was getting very excited to see my dog again because he's a cute lil pug named yoda and i had missed him. then i get in my room and see the cedar box that holds his ashes. he died in my arms a couple of months ago, and i had completely forgotten about it.

i have to use one of those old people pill container thingies with the days of the week and AM and PM spots for my meds because i keep forgetting if i took them and i'll go to take them again unless someone keeps an eye on me.

i went to go get the mail (we have a big mailbox hub for the neighborhood basically, over by the pool) and i forgot which mailbox was mine, then i forgot which way im supposed to walk to get back to my house and didn't bring my phone with me and just had to keep walking around until i saw something familiar

it's like i suddenly became my grandma overnight, like my brains just alzheimied to poo poo. i'm starting to worry that it won't go away and i'll be prematurely 'heimered forever :(

I'm sorry, Gatekeeper. That's not an easy thing.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...utm_content=cm&
Article from last year about a death at a frat house. You've probably heard of the case. The final paragraphs are desperately haunting.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

That whole article is horrific :smith:

I'm glad it made other people feel as horrible as it made me feel. I really only posted it to share the misery of having read it.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

loving. Hell.

:smith:

Religion is a cancer.

Well, gently caress.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
This one makes me shudder https://twitter.com/jenzhuscott/status/1041194682460430336?s=09

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
A one year old baby is found crawling on a roadside in Fiji. Nearby, five members of her family lie dead: a married couple in their 50s/60s, their daughter, and her two older children. The family had been on holiday in Fiji. Post mortem results show they had been poisoned by a toxin. Then a friend of theirs is brought in for questioning https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/11...them-many-times

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

MizPiz posted:

The unnerving part's gonna happen when he gets off for the third time and finds his fourth black, homeless kid to groom and murder

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1174155220378513408?s=19

Well, turns out I'm a fuckin idiot, because I thought at least he'd have some obstacles put in his way after the last one.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Turkey has also resolved to genocide more Armenians. So you know. Like someone.

Bad move. Trump actually listens to Kim Kardashian.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard about a thing where Chinese tourists keep swarming the beaches in New Zealand where little penguins nest, push over the barriers and literally grab as many as they can while the police try to arrest them with spear-tackles.

Yeah that doesn't happen

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does sound over the top in retrospect, but after a bunch of more verifiable stories of Chinese tourists wrecking poo poo it seemed believable at the time.

Australia apparently had to pass a law prohibiting getting close to a dead whale after a bunch of tourists tried to pat the sharks eating it.

Oh really? The only things I can find online about Australian laws concerning whale carcasses are things like this which make no mention of a law like that:
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/shark-blog/2019/02/the-whale-carcass-debate/
If it's verifiable, could you verify it?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

fauna posted:

cannibal ant reconciliation is the unexpected feel-good story of the year

Yeah but they only had one song and that was a cover.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The measles outbreak in Samoa has become so devastating that the government has ordered all private business to shut down for two days, and unvaccinated families have been instructed to hang a red cloth outside their house to let people know.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/117958394/samoa-measles-outbreak-mass-vaccinations-underway

Possibly the worst part is that vaccination rates in Samoa dropped dramatically in 2018 after undertrained nurses killed two babies in a row by injecting them with vaccines that had been mixed with anaesthetic instead of purified water https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/117952035/nurses-fatal-vaccination-error-in-samoa-was-against-parents-wishes

slinkimalinki has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Dec 5, 2019

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Inceltown posted:

As messed up as the Samoa situation is they at least seem to be doing something about it which is so much more than the rest of the world is doing about existential crises.

Agreed. It's just incredibly loving sad that it's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Patients being treated for burns from a volcanic eruption are suffering from really weird infections, and no- one's sure if it's because of the chemicals involved doing strange things to their burns that make them vulnerable, or if it's because of the bacteria in the volcanic environment https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118837369/trauma-rehab-and-unusual-infections-for-volcanic-burn-victims