Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Comparing GotG with The Dark Knight does not fill me with confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wendell posted:

We get it, dude!

Look, this is a brand new thread. It has not yet been properly established in here how much I hate The Dark Knight and it is very important that this be done. :mad:

In other news, $350 and these toys can be yours.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

The Avengers' Wives where Gweneth Paltrow, Emily VanCamp, Natalie Portman, Jeremy Renner and Evangeline Lily talk about how hard it is to be in relationships with the Avengers while sewing costumes and baking pies for them.

You forgot Liv Tyler and Elizabeth Olsen.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did not watch Man of Steel. Was that a continuation from Superman Returns or not?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Getting too much of a Star Lord vibe from it, and not enough of an Ant Man vibe.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eastbound Spider posted:

Hahaha, that face is amazing! :allears:

I legit love the face. It's a "Are you seriously just sitting there watching us get swarmed by killer robots?" face.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Putting them together like that, at first I thought someone really hosed up on War Machine and the depth of field there in comparison to the big picture. Then I realized Scarlet Witch's power must be doing something to him.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really hope War Machine is like that throughout the entire movie. Just Scarlet Witch's little tiny pet black sidekick in robot armor.

Baby Don Cheadle. :3:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

The Ultron hand over scarlet witch's shoulder looks a hell of a lot like War Machine from a distance.

OK shut up. EVERYONE SHUT UP.

Shut your faces. :(

(I'm so sorry every oh god I'm really sorry I really need to get my eyes checked)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

If all we currently know about it is the cast, why assume otherwise.

Well, we also know it's a reboot being made by the same studio who made the previous two movies.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
That Deadpool footage was pitch-perfect and loving amazing. It just sucks that they introduced the character as that shitheap in Wolverine Origins and they will forever have to make that connection.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Alright, which one of you assholes added that image to SMG's avatar?

It's kinda your fault for not having him on ignore already.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Avengers had really great cinematography. Some of the best I've ever seen in any movie ever, right up there with Goodfellas.

I specifically mention Goodfellas because the whole movie has that kinda feel. That gritty realism of these ragtag misfits getting together and loving poo poo up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yes hi. How are you?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think it's a fair point, Marvel made a relatively unknown property a huge hit, whereas DC has failed with some of their more well known faces, (GL), and is afraid to give a standalone film to some of their other characters at all. It's a fair point to be made, in this case, I think.

It is a fair point, because DC is all "Only virgins care about Martian Manhunter, so we won't put him in a movie because that's a dumb marketing move!" and here we have Marvel marketing a handful of obscure comic characters and making money hand-over-fist with them.

I guess to Marvel's credit, they've built up all that goodwill by making all those other good movies beforehand, but it's still funny how insecure DC is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Reading a review of the new Turtles movie. Not surprising it's a bad movie, but I'm always surprised by just how bad a movie can be. Sometimes I feel like Hollywood is just a place where people try to one-up each other with dumb ideas.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

Everyone knows reviews are the objective truth, duh.

It's not about if the reviewer liked the movie or not, but what the reviewer shares regarding the content of the movie, and that is objective truth.

Unless they're just making the stuff up, but unless there was a hoax and advance screenings were a joke movie, or all the journalists are lying about the turtles and Splinter being April's pets that were part of a experimented on by April's father and Shredder, then yeah this movie sounds kinda dumb to me.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Why do people keep referring to TMNT as though Michael Bay directed it?

Because the studio did a hosed job at presenting this movie properly, so Michael Bay is the only one who gets any recognition.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who could possibly care?

You guys have been spending dozens of pages entertaining SMG's Avengers fetish. I think I'm allowed to call out a movie for some stupid storytelling and not have anyone point fingers about caring too much about things.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh no, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' incredibly important origin story has been ruined.

It's not about MY PRECIOUS CHILDHOOD. It's about how dumb it is. April can run into and befriend the turtles, and the turtles can fight Shredder, without them all needing some mysterious past connecting them all through destiny or some poo poo. That's bad writing. That's all I'm talking about here. Posting in the comic book movie thread about a comic book movie, and how this sounds dumb because it is dumb.

If you want, I could go all SMG and discuss the Oedipal Complex of the turtles wanting to gently caress their "mother" if that makes you feel better about me talking about this.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo what you think about a movie you haven't even seen.

I think I've seen you in YouTube comments before.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this what SMG does?

I tune in and out. I just remember something about Jurassic Park and Dr. Manhattan's penis or something?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize so many people were going to care so much about TMNT. I only intended to make a passing comment, and it got dragged out because people got upset and I felt the need to explain my opinion. Sorry.

Here's the review I read.

If you wanna talk about something else now, we can talk about rumors of Sony planning a Spider-Man spinoff with a female lead character.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

"This shot, in the trailer, is a bad shot."
"But how can you tell it's bad? You haven't seen the movie!"

"This taste-tester of cheese is stale."
"Maybe it's SUPPOSED to be stale! You wouldn't know would you, you fucker? Buy the whole cheese and find out!"

Deciding what a film is about based on its trailer and if it's going to be good is something we all do whenever we watch a trailer. That is why we watch them.

No, I'm sorry. You're not allowed to form opinions on if you'd like to watch a movie or not until after you've watched the movie, apparently.

weekly font posted:

None of this review talks about the movie or why it's good or bad. It just impotently rages about the fact no one is Japanese, things have been updated and NOT MY CHILDHOOD.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is like "Why did they change things!?!?!?": The Review. I read through the three "Top Critics" reviews on RT, and while none of them were super positive about the movie, they had a lot better criticism than "This movie was not made by fans of Ninja Turtles".

See, I didn't read it like that. Right off the bat, the review acknowledged all the different interpretations, and he doesn't seem to be looking to the one he's most familiar with to be shown on screen. When he comments on things that bother him in the movie, he's not dwelling on the fact that it's different. He's focusing on why it doesn't really make sense as a story. That's how I took the review, at least.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 4, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Waaaaaah my childhood is like the shittiest opinion to have.

It's a good thing that's not what's happening here, then.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Oh sorry. It's plot decisions. About characters that dance with rappers and go back in time.

So here's what I've gotten so far.

Plot points presented in reviews for the new TMNT movie seem to be badly done to me. People fall back on "You only hate it because it's different from your childhood!" as their excuse. Since they have nothing to back that up with, nor should they, since it's completely bullshit, they now have to rely on "Who loving cares it's all stupid anyway!"

It's you. You care. You care so much.

Maybe I'm wrong about TMNT and it'll be completely awesome. I'll be wrong, but you'll still be the one who cares.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I read the review and found nothing of substance, so I want to know what he thought seemed so stupid. Got no answer.

According to what I've been reading, the turtles and Splinter were April's childhood pets, and also test subjects for a project run by April's father and Shredder I guess? Something happens, April's father sets fire to the lab, and April sets them all free in the sewer. They grow up and learn to be ninjas.

Many years later, The Foot is a terrorist group wrecking hell unchallenged through New York, until one day some mysterious warriors fend off an attack in a subway. April, curious plucky reporter, investigates and happens upon the teenage mutant ninja turtles. She just... happens to be the one to discover the turtles, who are the same turtles she kept as pets in her father's lab. It seems like such a contrived coincidence and something that doesn't need to be part of a story.

If there was a middleman in there, that would make more sense. Something that puts an idea in her head that, hey, maybe her pet turtles from her childhood survived in the sewers and something happened to them as a result of her dad's lab experiments and maybe she's curious to check that out. Maybe that IS what happens and I'm totally not getting that. But how it's coming off in these reviews is "Oh wow, I was just coming down to this subway and my old pet turtles were here. How weird and convenient is that?"

That's what I think is dumb writing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ugh, look at this terrible screenshot. What is even happening here? What's the context? Is it an ad for umbrellas? You can barely even see that monkey, the shot is so out of focus. And what's with everyone being shot in profile?

Don't even get me started on the lazy post-production job done on the background CGI, with those faceless people and half-assed blobs for shadows. Scale and depth of field is all hosed up too. Maybe I'll post an edit job later with some lines on it to make it more clear, but it should be pretty obvious to everyone why this shot looks so off to the human eye.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

A sad, sad person that didn't read the thing they linked themselves posted:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-signs-dc-comics-has-no-clue-how-to-make-superhero-movies/

If I were prone to nerd conspiracy theories I would think that Marvel/Disney is actively paying off for this sort of stupid cheerleading, seeing that DC Movies are not exactly failures critically and commercially.

But knowing the mentality of these people, they would work for their favorite brand for free given a chance.

I loving hate "they" talk and completely omitting the actual directors and writers of the movies. I hope Ant-Man will be the sort of failure that makes even the Merry Marching Marvel Society 2.0 realize that there are people beside Kevin Feige working on these products.

Cracked has posted many articles that take critical examinations of comic book movies, and that includes Marvel films. It's not their fault that DC/WB has significantly more flaws to point out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luminous Obscurity posted:

In The Avengers Tony nukes an army/city/whatever (we're never really given much information on it) and its awesome and nobody in the audience really cares that tons of aliens are dead because gently caress 'em they're evil and invading us.

In MoS Clark breaks Zod's neck in what is unquestionably presented as the only course of action (he's not going to stop, he can't be contained, etc) and everyone in the audience is super uncomfortable and frustrated.

This is Important.

It's also important to note how people view Tony Stark and how they view Superman. Tony Stark is not Superman. Superman is Superman, though.

Superman was put into a situation where he saw no choice but to murder Zod. Maybe the problem is script put Superman into a situation where he had no choice but to murder Zod.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

We're at a strange cross-section in cinema discussion here, where viewers are simultaneously capable of shrugging off the seeming evaporation of human beings in Avengers, but see the existence of struggling human beings in MoS as a fault because Superman is too busy saving the world to save literally every human in crises individually.

The Avengers aren't Superman. Captain America kinda comes close though, and they actually did take a moment in Avengers to show him doing poo poo to take control of the situation and direct officials in evacuation and establishing a perimeter, and saving people being threatened by the Chitauri, reinforcing his characterization and not betraying who he is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

You mean the scene where he dismembers a faceless Bad Guy and holds his arm aloft as a trophy? Ah yes, I recall when Captain America did that in The First Avenger. Such a solid continuation of the character.

I mean people think of Captain America as a boy scout kinda guy who protects people and always does what's right, similar to Superman. That remained consistent even in Avengers, whereas Man of Steel betrayed the image of Superman that people have have come to expect for the past 80 years.

So yeah, you're trying to distract from Man of Steel's flaws by pointing at Avengers, except the situation was actually handled really well in Avengers, so you're just defeating your own argument. :)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crows Turn Off posted:

The Agents of SHIELD show ties into everything, right? What did they do/are they doing after Cap 2?

You should really watch it for yourself, but if you want a cliffnotes version;

After Cap 2, HYDRA sleeper agents are called into action, and wreck the poo poo out of SHIELD. SHIELD is completely brought down. At the end of the season, they are attempting to rebuild with resources left by Fury.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Do people still read Dark Knight as glorifying Bush/neocons? I've gotten the impression (at least here) that it's more often seen as condemning them.

Well, Batman is the hero that we're all supposed to be rooting for, and he breaks international law to kidnap a guy, beats up a prisoner during interrogation, and wiretaps the phones of citizens to track down a terrorist. All in the name of freedom and justice.

And the death of another hero that we're all supposed to be rooting for is used to push forth an act that sentences criminals without a fair trial, which is shown to be a wonderful thing for Gotham without any problems whatsoever. They are all rich and happy until that evil terrorist Bane decides to put a stop to all that. Those darn terrorists!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

The official synopsis for Avengers 2 has been revealed. Emphasis mine.

The synopsis almost suggests that the Ultron idea could have originally been Pym's, back when it wasn't a feasible to do, and Tony comes across the idea and says "Hey I can totally do that now."

So it could tie it all together with Pym still creating Ultron after all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Honestly, Marvel probably wants someone who's not huge, but is still a name that someone will recognize.

Pauly Shore for Doctor Strange.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

David Bowie must be saved for Beyonder or Watcher casting.

Uatu the Watcher has already been cast.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Is it Stan Lee? Because it should be Stan Lee

It is Stan Lee, yes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Age of Ultron trailer sounds interesting. Seems like they might actually be acknowledging how all the heroes keep killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Was a new trailer released? Youtube is just turning up a bunch of fakes.

At NYCC, but I guess it's going to be the theatrical trailer that will be coming out attached to some movies soon. Apperently, it opens up with everyone drinking and trying to lift Mjolnir. Ultron comes in and comments about how none of them can lift it because they are not worthy, because they are all killers, and starts attacking them.

So I hope that actually has some weight behind it.

• Locked thread