Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

I actually have defended Top Gear in the past for their travelogue episodes, it's a real strength of the production format and they're normally pretty good at it.

But come on, this was pretty much inevitable even if the actual tipping point was accidental. Clarkson was always going to be a dick in Argentina (well, more so than usually).

It may have been inevitable, but what was also inevitable was that the Argentinians would find something to be offended by because that's their government's go to tactic. The economy struggling, “Las Malvinas son Argentinas”, Kirchner's popularity waning, “Las Malvinas son Argentinas”, national football team lose, “Las Malvinas son Argentinas”, BBC Car Pricks filming, “Las Malvinas son Argentinas”.

The claims about the other number plates are absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Acaila posted:

I will hold my hands up and say I didn't expect the level of some of the crap the Tories have pulled. To be fair, I missed out on the worst of them last time round - Thatcher being challenged for the leadership is my oldest political memory - so even though I'd heard about it and was fully Tory-hating, it seemed a long time ago when you mostly just remember the early 90s scandals. It's why I finally joined the Labour party to be honest, because I felt that was the best way of sticking it to the Tories. A position I'm now a bit uncomfortable with :(.

The eighties were so unbelievably lovely. The "scandals" that hit the NHS these days pale in comparison to the poo poo that was happening in the eighties. People were dying on trollies in corridors having been left for days without proper care, years long waiting lists for operations. Closing the psychiatric and geriatric hospitals, the strain of which is still being felt. If Major had won in 1997, there would be no NHS now, the scale of the funding that the 1997 Labour government poured into the NHS (and education for that matter) just to fix the rot that the Tories had caused was staggering, and there is no way that the Tories would have done that.

With the cover of the current economy, the damage that a Tory majority government can wreak on public services should frighten anyone who relies on them. They'll slash funding and still siphon money to their mates and themselves.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
When there is a Tory government don't get sick

The Guardian posted:

Hospital patients could be asked to pay for their “bed and board” if funding does not match increasing demand, a senior health service manager has said.

Rob Webster, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, which represents NHS commissioners and providers, said the health service would have to make “tough choices”.

This kind of poo poo only gets suggested when Tory scum are in power.

Not sure where they've pulled the £75 from considering that in 2010, the last time I did a clinical trials costing, it actually cost £450/night to stay in an NHS bed, and I expect that it is a fair bit more expensive these days.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

In actual "interesting" Lib Dem conference news, the party leadership got defeated on an amendment to change the party's policy on airport expansion. Gatwick were lobbying pretty hard for it, to the point of providing free internet around the Armadillo.

It's a bit of a bruise for them given that the leadership did manage to convince the party yesterday to delete an amendment moved by Evan Harris to put banning faith school selection discrimination into the party's equalities manifesto. Relative thread darling Julian Huppert was a vocal rebel on both issues.

In other conference-related news, Julie Bindel is not happy about the party voting to treat violence against sex workers as a hate crime:

I enjoyed the interview last night on the BBC with a conference delegate who likened the LibDem's coalition role to that of a battered woman staying with her husband because "they loved each other deep down".

Bunch of disgusting Quislings, from top to bottom.

The only good thing that could come out of the LibDem conference would be the news that they have committed mass suicide.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The immigrants will save us!

Doesn't anyone else think it weird to be making a plea to religious people by asking them to look at page 3 of The Sun?

And does the Union Hijab front page mean that the Sun now supports a Muslim woman's right to wear head coverings? (Or was that just a Mail/Express bugbear?)

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

VVV The vast majority of humans alive now and historically do/did not wash daily and yet strangely the species has done fine, in fact so much better than fine that we can legitimately be called a pest. Weird eh?

The species was fine, but until relatively recently individuals weren't.

They died young and stank of poo poo.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

mrpwase posted:

You'd have to scrub some of them pretty well before cooking though.

Those are the organic, free-range ones, they have that unique archeological dig site terroir.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Baffling in the sense that the Greens opposition to nuclear isn't realistically going to have any bearing on government policy. If you don't like their policies you can join them and vote to change it at their party conference, and as it's a small party your vote counts for more. Outside of this one area, they are fundamentally better than any of the mainstream parties, and certainly a better use of a protest vote than some Trot party who'll never see their deposit again or UKIP, who are actual fascists.

Maybe you care more about nuclear power than continued austerity though?

They want to end all animal based biomedical research and ban research on GMOs and exotransplants.

Those are kick the sick/disabled policies.

In addition to their energy policy being a joke.

So vote green if you want people with heart valve defects to die, children with congenital malformations that require surgery to correct (surgeons can't practice anymore on pigs or goats) to bootstrap themselves a functioning body, and you're in favour of rolling black outs.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Which party has a good energy policy?

Which party has a policy of new nuclear plus renewables?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

With the new influx of members, I am highly sceptical that the more objectionable policies like an outright ban on all animal testing will remain that way for long. (At least in Scotland, though I've not actually seen anything written down outlining any ban of this sort anyway)

My mate's been an active green (including taking part in debates at conferences) for about a decade, and he used to think exactly that, and thought progress was being made when they dropped the AltMed poo poo....and then Take Back Our Flour happened and he realised that the nuclear, GMO and animal rights policies are fundamental principles of the party and aren't going to change.

Even Friends of the Earth has revised their nuclear policy, but the greens, nope, they're fundamentally opposed to nuclear.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Reveilled posted:

It is also worth reiterating that while opposition to GM crops and nuclear power are definitely wrongheaded, they are two bulletpoints on a 34 page document that has stuff like this on it:

EDIT: A is especially important when you consider that you'd be very hard pressed to find a party left of Labour which is not anti-nuclear and anti-GM.

But it is worth considering that climate change and energy and food security are by far the most pressing global concerns that we currently face (alongside the water security, although that's not really a major issue at home), and any political party should have sensible, evidence-based positions on them.

Likewise it is not much good having solid policies on the European working time directive if you're going to completely decimate one of the UK's prime industries (biomedical research) and hamstring healthcare for those that can't afford treatment abroad (the rich will always be able to afford healthcare, no matter what restrictions are placed on it in the UK).

The Greens are the party of poo poo and the wall, they've thrown as much of one against the other to attract the widest possible demographic but in the end never have to worry about actually implementing any of them.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Maybe I'm just a naive optimist but I think if that were the case, we'd stand a better chance of changing the minds of people who were killing the poor accidentally than of those who were doing it intentionally.

The Greens' anti-GMO policy, like their anti-nuclear policy, are articles of faith in the same way that Thatcherites believe in Private Sector Efficiency over Public Sector Waste.

The dismantling of the British biomedical research industry would be a one time thing, once it is gone, it's gone.

Closing off avenues of treatment (xenotransplantation for instance) would disproportionately affect the poor, the rich would go abroad. That's deliberate, not accidental.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

for what its worth; Cameron is questioning the lack of Green inclusion in the debates, since they have an equal number of MPs to UKIP and actually elected one at the last general election

...so look forward to the Greens not being included in any of the debates, then!

Because he wants the Greens to split the left vote like UKIP are splitting the right. Cleggomania almost worked last time.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

David Cameron posted:

Let me tell you: I don’t need lectures from anyone about looking after disabled people. So I don’t want to hear any more of that.

The dead, disabled son card has been played again, stay classy Prime Minister.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Quick question, what does "in real terms" mean? It seems to be being used an awful lot by the Tories and their Quisling pals whenever anyone claims that they're cutting X, "We've raised NHS spending, in real terms".

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Right, blackface Morris Dancing.

Is this a genuine historical thing that has happened for years because poo poo, I grew up in Somerset and I saw probably your average amount of Morris Dancing, bells and sticks and all that clacking stuff. Generally rather un-inspiring bearded men for the most part.

Not once can I recall seeing people blacked up.

Is this a regional thing? Has it happened in parts of the country but I just never saw it, or is it a recent occurrence? I just can't believe it's an old tradition that I've never heard of. Perhaps it is.

Also initially I thought David Cameron was an idiot for posing with those black face muppets, but reconsidering it, perhaps he wants to come across as a bit of a racist.

Who the gently caress knows.

Holy poo poo!

I used to think it was just some old, misconstrued tradition until I saw the headdresses that some dancers wear. There's almost no way that the ones wearing faux African headgear aren't racist fucks.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Well yeah, but with the Black Pete thing in the Netherlands it actually is a tradition, just not a particularly cool one.

What I want to know is if the blacked up morris dancer thing actually is a traditional thing or if people have just started doing it recently because they're racist cocks.

The thing is, even if it was ARE Tradition, anyone with any sense would drop the blackface bit, but they don't, even though they could keep the dancing and sundry activities perfectly intact without it.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

In fairness, UKIP did manage to find the one ex-Radio 1 DJ not having his collar felt by Yewtree, which is impressive, in a way.

You always need to add a "yet" when talking about Yewtree, that poo poo's going to run and run.

As for the media response, how has nothing been slung at the corpse of John Peel yet, doesn't he admit to getting blowjobs from thirteen year olds in his autobiography?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Jose posted:

For everyone who was able to vote in the last general election, what parties were you capable of voting for locally? I was in one of the lucky places that had someone from the NF up for election. Wasn't that many fewer votes than the UKIP and BNP candidates who were the only available people to vote for other than the main 3 parties.

i had a wonderful choice of candidates both in 2010 and the 2012 by-election (caused by the death of Malcolm Wicks).

I didn't even know there was a 9/11 Truther party.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Anarchists lionising a man who tried to install a Catholic theocracy is just as hilarious as people showing their loyalty to Britain by marching under the banner of a Dutch autocrat who enlisted the help of the French to depose the rightful king.

Are you talking about the Glorious Revolution?

I don't think the French were on the Dutch side in that one.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure if Harvest Thanksgiving did resurge in popularity it would be as much a church holiday as Christmas and Easter are now, and most people would do whatever customs involved in a secular way. As Zephro said though, that means it would probably turn into the same as the other holidays with some gimmicks and its own set of greeting cards.
Maybe it would be more community focused instead of individual/family focused, but I don't know. As long as it's not more of Big Dave's Big Society.

Having just "celebrated" Harvest Festival at a secular primary, it appeared to me to be a festival of educating kids where their food comes from (little farmers with a red tractor, two cows and a sheepdog) and collecting food for the local food bank (the donations from families in a moderately deprived area in south London were exceptionally generous).

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Burqa King posted:

So what class are you in

I was teaching y6 for three days, I'm a supply teacher so I change class almost daily.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

They made a start with Lizo Mzimba; he was my favourite presenter when he was on Newsround when I was a kid because he didn't talk down to us, and now he's on the proper World Service and he hasn't changed his reporting style at all. :neckbeard:

John Craven didn't talk down to children, neither did Krishnan Gurumurthy iirc. Newsround was always amazing for the way it covered even terrible stories in a way that children could understand.

John Craven is one of the presenters that a Yewtree revelation would destroy a lot of my childhood memories. I met him at London Zoo way back when I was around 7 or 8 and still have the photo of him with his arm around me.... Oh god.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Burqa King posted:

Why this obsession with ensuring children are properly catered for? They're children, they shouldn't be watching TV anyway!

Educate, Inform and Entertain.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

You're the AntiReith.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Burqa King posted:

That's a top class celeb encounter. So when were you released into the wild?

Old enough to have fond memories of a broom closet and be terrified of Mr Bronsan.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Ludicro posted:

Perhaps I've just been left bitter and jaded by the current state of politics, but having read through the green party manifesto it comes across as a wishlist of ways to fix various things without any practical idea of how they are going to do it. Assuming they don't do a LibDem and abandon all their promises the second they sniff a shred of power.

Plus a lot of there stuff comes across as frankly ill considered, such as :

Banning causing any harm to animals in research and testing - I personally completely oppose animal testing for the purposes of cosmetics and alike, but all research? Animal testing is a vital part of medical science, and jeopardising potentially life saving research for the same of some animals is frankly bollocks.

Prohibiting new car parks on new retail developments except for the disabled. - Thats a brilliant idea, have a nice new retail development with nowhere to park for 90% of people. If people can't park their cars, they won't go there, which means they won't be spending their money in these shiny new retail places.

Phasing out nuclear power - We are already worried about not having enough power in the future at peak times with our current level of power generation, and everyone seems onboard with renewables until NIMBYism inevitably strikes. More anti nuclear hysteria by the looks of it.

Bringing back the fuel duty escalator to discourage use of fossil fuels and increase fuel price - gently caress right off. We already pay more for fuel than anyone else in Europe, it doesn't need to go up more.

Reduce the speed limit on motorways to 55mph to make them safer - Uh what? Motorways are already the safest roads in the UK, they're nice, big and wide, and everyone is going in the same direction. I would even go so far as to say you could increase the speed limit to 80mph with no issues whatsoever.

I know its a bit of a hodge podge of the stuff I've picked out, but I just can't see the every day person looking at stuff like that and thinking "yeah, that all sounds like a brilliant idea!". They're just completely unelectable.

I've posted it before but...
The animal rights stuff is downright kicking the sick and disabled. They want a ban on xenotransplantation (okay to eat pigs, but don't try to use their heart valves to cure the sick!) and research using animals, so thats the end of the British biotech industry (one of our biggest industries), then?

The Greens never have to worry about being in power, so they can offer their middle class target demographic pretty much anything.

The anti-nuclear, anti-GMO stuff are points of faith for them, fundamental not based on evidence. Even Friends of the Earth have revised their nuclear policy in light of global climate change.

I hadn't seen the 55mph thing before though, that's just precious.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

baka kaba posted:

pragmatism would pull them towards nuclear anyway.

The Green Part Energy Policy posted:

EN261 We will cancel construction of new nuclear stations and nuclear power will not be eligible for government subsidy; the Green Party opposes all nuclear power generation and is particularly opposed to the construction of new nuclear power stations, electricity from which is likely to be significantly more expensive per unit supplied than other low-carbon energy sources, and too slow to deploy to meet our pressing energy needs. Cancellation will avoid the costs and dangers of nuclear energy and waste being passed on to future generations long after any benefits have been exhausted.

EN262 Money earmarked for new nuclear plant research, development and construction will be reallocated to energy efficiency measures and renewable energy infrastructure, but sufficient funding for decommissioning redundant power stations, and for research into the safe storage or disposal of existing radioactive waste stockpiles will be retained.

What other key policies will they be "pragmatically" u-turning post-election? The NHS, free education for all?

Out of interest, does it include fusion research in its ban on funding for "nuclear plant research"?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Ludicro posted:

why do I never see speed cameras around school zones?

Because I don't think speed is largely the problem around schools, rare is the school around me where you could get any kind of decent speed up out front when the kids are around. It's the bad and selfish driving of people dropping their children off who are doing stupid and dangerous poo poo like double parking, parking on zig-zags, stopping in the middle of the road to let the children out, taking children out of the car into the road instead of onto the pavement and pulling out of spaces without looking. All increase the level of danger for other road users, but none of them would be solved by plonking a Gatso outside the school. It would be solved if they could deploy a couple of traffic wardens to enforce the rules and ticket offenders and that probably would have been done in the days of the yellow striped, public sector, beady eyes, but I suspect the modern privatised, blue capped, parking bastard is less interested in safety and more about revenue.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Spooky Hyena posted:

It'd probably be good for the EU if they kicked the UK out, instead of putting up with this petulant nonsense.

I don't think it would be good for the EU to lose its third largest economy and free access to a major market for internal trade.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I believe there have been no new crips flavours for decades. Any 'new' ones now are purely marketing.

There is only one type of crisp and all the others are done using the placebo effect. Try it by putting Walkers' ready salted crisps into an empty Monster Munch pickled onion bag and then eating them, you won't be able to tell the difference! I don't know how big crisp keeps getting away with fooling everyone!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

tooterfish posted:

Wrong, he just needs to prove the chicken consented.

Doesn't Peter Singer argue that talking about consent is meaningless in the context of bestiality, as chickens don't consent to being eaten and yet we see nothing wrong with that?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

The crisp conspiracy deepens. Question is, is it a capitalist ploy by Big Crisp, the Jews, or the Freemasons?

Big Crisp is just another front organisation for the Illumi-Repto-Crucians!

Oh boll...

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

tooterfish posted:

The chicken de-facto consents to being eaten by being delicious.

Please note I said delicious, not sexy.

Bit defensive, no?

tooterfish posted:

Also, Seabrooks are the best crisps and anyone who disagrees is a capitalist pig. I was going to say Hitler, but we all know what's worse in this thread.

Yet another shill for Big Crisp reveals themselves!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

But if someone sends you video of a man in a realistic tiger costume penetrating a roast chicken, can you be charged under the extreme pornography act?

I would imagine so as I believe the act even specifies that animals may be dead or alive.

Looking at the wording, it looks like they could charge you with an offence if your chosen porn involved a lifelike rubber chicken.

There seems to be a huge amount of ambiguity built in to the act, what with the "appears to" and "is likely to", it's almost as if it was a bad law written to appease a tabloid moral crusade or something.

I wonder if they will run into the same problems they have started to with offences under the Obscene Publications Act, in that juries are deciding that an awful lot of what the prosecution considers "obscene" is nothing of the sort.

I also wonder how many of the convictions secured are guilty pleas or cautions accepted simply to avoid full court cases.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

tooterfish posted:

I admit nothing!
Seabrook are made in Yorkshire.

Monster Munch and Frazzles are owned by PepsiCo. And even if they weren't, they're not from Yorkshire. Ergo, Seabrook wins, just loving deal with it.

Edit: sorry, coming over all nationalistic there.

Seabrook hmm.. I wonder if...

wikipedia posted:

In 2011 Seabrook Crisps launched its Goodbye salt Hello flavour range under a tagline "with at least 90% less salt, but 100% great taste", in line with government objectives to lower salt intake. The salt was substituted with sugar.

Big Crisp, indeed!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Cerv posted:

have you considered how massively expensive the required bureaucracy would be?

That's the point. They need to get billing services in place before they start privatisation proper. Hence why they float ideas like charging for missed appointments, or a surcharge on hospital stays or GP visits.

Additionally, I gain nothing knowing that I cost the NHS £10000 last year, but the act of compiling that bill means that they have some fantastic data to attract health insurance companies in the UK market when the time comes.

Oh and, I'm sure the billing services will mean a lovely payday to IBM or Crapita or whoever gets the contract for rolling out the IT system. Maybe they can add it to the Universal Credit IT system.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

I'm betting that the same rhetoric will be used in the Nordic model debate next week. Baker himself has mentioned that the rhetoric regarding sex work and drug use tends to be incredibly similar.

e: I should point out that the study was three days from being FOIed out… although it wouldn't surprise me if May didn't consider using the ministerial veto.

They didn't publish the entire report though did they, they left off the conclusions/recommendations...I'm reading that to mean that the recommendations were to liberalise in some way. Can't have the DM up in arms over drugs liberalisation, or cut the numbers of prisoners when there is good money to give our mates running the private prisons.

Guavanaut posted:

It got a full 4 seconds on BBC News :smith:

It got about fifteen minutes on Today this morning, though.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

marktheando posted:

There's a pretty funny tv show about those clowns called Doomsday Preppers on yank Netflix. On one episode a survivalist guy shoots his own thumb off while teaching his little sons how to use guns. Then he faints and the film crew had to get him medical attention while his traumatised children looked on.

It's on YouTube too.

The guy shooting his thumb off whilst funny, was nothing compared to the lunatic who was practicing being a bandit so he could be the top warlord after the "event" (he also rehearsed performing a Caesarean section in a plastic tent in a barn on his pregnant wife, and built himself a suit of armour out of bathroom tiles), he turned out to be a Paedo too. Then there was the guy who put a massive watchtower on his roof and mined his front garden, and the guy who was storing his own blood both in readiness for fighting off Obama's storm troopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

General China posted:

This little fella ended up at the General China Hedgehog Hospital. Despite every best effort the little thing died. He was buried with full hedgehog honours in my garden.

It was a Tory hedgehog wasn't it. It lived in the country, hunted on other people's property and when it got sick it went to a private hospital.

• Locked thread