Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Milo is just a reheated Andrew Sullivan for the millennials, absent the journalistic standards that made Sullivan readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
e: nope

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Montasque posted:

Andrew Sullivan never did this:

If there wasn't a line of guys doing blow off of Sullivan's cock in some corner of the New Republic offices back in '88 I'd be pretty surprised and disappointed.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
I think a lot of you guys may be remembering latter-day View From Your Window Sullivan rather than Live in Fear of the Liberal Fifth Column Sullivan, but even I agree that Milo is much trashier.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Karl Sharks posted:

i want people to start posting poll graphics where trump has the bigger bar or whatever, but he's losing by double digits just to see how long it'd take for him to notice

He didn't notice that the poll he tweeted about was over a month old so there's no way he's going to pick up on the rest.

http://www.oann.com/pollnational/

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Honestly it would amaze me if at some point he doesn't turn against his VP on stage for being presumptuous or stepping out of line somehow. I don't know all about Trump's business history but it must take a special sort of person to be able to work closely with him with some degree of autonomy without being seen to be undermining Trump's positions.

And I know Ivanka said otherwise but he really does strike me as a groper.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Wait until Bernie's people realize that Trump has given his share of paid speeches to Wall Street too.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
I tried to watch the last rally but something in me just can't deal with it. I actually get embarrassed for the man. Which is stupid, since he clearly seems to be enjoying himself. It makes me cringe.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Zas posted:

divorce is almost as cool as abortion, is there a cool conspiracy theory about that?

Yeah I have a good conspiracy theory on abortion actually. It's kind of off-topic but I've been working on a book about the case so it's been on my mind lately. An anti-abortion protester was killed a few years ago. He was one of those guys who carry very graphic signs and shout at people on street corners. By all accounts very passionate and pretty insane. Anyway, the twist is that his close family members feel like he was just hiding behind the freedom of speech that is given to protesters in order to harass and intimidate young women.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/09/james_m_pouillon_criticizes_fa.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jim_Pouillon

quote:

Again, my dad didn't care about abortion. He wanted to hurt people, upset people. He enjoyed making people suffer.

His goal was to be shot on a sidewalk. His goal was to make someone so angry, to make them feel so terrorized, to make them feel the only way they could make him stop was to kill him.

His pro-life stance was the most perfect crime I personally know of. He hid behind the 1st Amendment and was allowed to stalk, terrorise, harass, be obsene, ect. These things are crimes. Offending people isn't a crime, and having different political views isn't a crime, but he committed several crimes over the last 20 years and got away with it.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
So I guess it's more appropriate to the thread than I thought.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
I guess the question for me that springs to mind from all of this, and it's a question that's marginally more on-point, is how much of modern political discourse is being driven by mental illness? Is Milo acting out because he genuinely believes in the cause or is he compelled to become the center of attention because of some deeper underlying personal problem? Same goes for Trump.

Is there a line that either of them could cross that would get them 5150'd? Where is the line?

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
It seems like Szasz is taking things to the extreme. He doesn't believe in mental illness at all. A lot of diagnostic tools have come around since he published his work. For instance, it's my understanding that schizophrenia and OCD can be diagnosed with a brain scan.

On the other extreme you have someone like Prester Jane, who seems pretty comfortable diagnosing Trump based on his public persona -- which may or may not be in line with how he behaves in his private life. She has even gone so far as to predict a meltdown when Trump finally loses.

Caught in the middle is poor (?) Dinesh D'Souza, who had to undergo mandatory therapy as a result of his conviction for bundling money improperly. His views are pretty out there, but I don't necessarily think they merit psychological treatment.

I haven't really drawn any conclusions, but this discussion is making me wonder how many of you fuckers are certifiable IRL.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Rubio's position on immigration has always been less horrible than expected. For instance, in the Gang of Eight -- where he was the most conservative member negotiating -- he agreed that there should be a path to amnesty, but only if the immigrant had been in the country for 5 years. Rubio also caved on a provision that would allow the previously-deported to return and petition for citizenship.

It's like his sole humane issue.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

logikv9 posted:

eh i don't see the brexit having a meaningful impact on the election, outside of a massive recession / depression that directly hits the US with serious force. it's distant enough that most people will form opinions based on what they hear, and what they hear depends entirely on who is telling them. you have bits in the media talking about how the UK just shot itself and is wondering why the bullet hurt so much, and on the other side they will link it to immigration control, sovereignty, and freedom :911:

just preaching to the choir basically, except this can be used to sum up basically american politics in general

On the other hand, the Dow is down 300 this morning and the Euro will probably reach parity with the dollar before this is all said and done. US might not understand or care about the Brexit before UK voted, but financial news has established a clear cause->effect relationship with the referendum and the markets. Old people keep a close eye on their retirement. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump take a hit in the next round of polling over this.

Although I guess you're right in that it wouldn't shock me to see Trump's numbers jump either, because this election is a shitshow.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

logikv9 posted:

you need this to hit people directly, your average joe does not care about the pound <> US exchange rate unless they are going to london for a quick vacation. the leave camp is already trying damage control, stating that the economic effects are short-term while all their previously-stated benefits (that they have not yet walked back on) will come eventually. this throws up enough smoke to give each side the benefit of the doubt, an action that will prolong this way beyond our own election.

in november nobody's going to be going to a poll booth for hillary or trump because of the brexit.

Yeah, for what it's worth I think the Euro exchange rate actually matters more than whatever the Pound does. US exports have been hit relatively hard because the dollar has been strong in comparison to other currencies, if those trends continue you'll see continued downward forces on the market that counteract any sort of traditional post-summer bounce. Even if Asia stays as solid as it has been, we'll be looking at lackluster performance in September/October. The saying is "Sell in May and go away."

It might not impact average investors much, but if we don't see a bounce by October CNBC won't shut up about it.

And of course Asia can and does fall apart at the drop of a hat, so we might still have some nasty surprises in store.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Tautologicus posted:

I don't believe in "faulty brain chemistry".

That's a shame, it's important to believe in yourself.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

paranoid randroid posted:

will Donald Trump do something to stop the CIA spy satellites that keep beaming Radio Free Europe into my fillings?

You're joking, but I started this whole mess because I've been researching a guy who used abortion protests to cover for the fact that he was stalking and harassing young women at a high school. It made me wonder if mental illness is a motivating factor in politics. I'm not sure I like the answer that I got.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
They (the voting machines) also have a history of having their source code dumped online for all to see. It's not impossible that there may have been some tampering, but I never believe people in Guy Fawkes masks without hard evidence.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Everyone else also sees a second smiling mouth in Sam Clovis' chinfold right?

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Three Olives posted:

what, does he think he is running a polling company?

Don't give him any suggestions, or the next FEC filings will reflect a $750k payment to Trump Polling, LLC.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Mirthless posted:

There was some insane anti-islamic propaganda video that somebody in the US was putting out that year, the trailer had hit for it on youtube that week and there were a lot of protests across the arab world. It was a boneheaded thing for her to say (Really, really boneheaded) but the video in question was pretty offensive, as was the movie it was attached to

It wasn't that boneheaded. Like 50 people died in the protests that WERE about that movie. It just probably didn't spur the attacks in Benghazi, as far as I know.

https://www.rt.com/news/rally-pakistan-movie-us-297/

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Well there's a couple states that, if Trump does not win, he has no path to victory.

It's just that Trump is so far ahead of us all that he realizes that it all comes down to Maine for him.

Clinton and her PACs keep announcing 8 figure ad buys, has Trump bought any time yet? The whole "only slots available to him by the time he starts campaigning will be at 2am on HGTV" joke may be true

As far as I can tell, Rebuilding America PAC has bought $1.1M in ads to support their candidate, while the Trump campaign itself has not purchased any.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/08/us/politics/super-pac-supporting-donald-trump-makes-first-ad-buy-for-general-election.html

I could not find anything later than that.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Joementum posted:

John Kasich says he's hasn't been asked and doesn't expect to speak at the convention.

The convention is being held in the state where he is currently Governor.

Party Status: Unified As gently caress

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Apparently, the convention speaking lineup may not be entirely up to Trump anyway. Although he insists that nobody who hasn't endorsed him will speak, the party rules may just override his decision if the other candidates decide to push it.

quote:

“If there’s no endorsement, then I would not invite them to speak,” Mr. Trump said in an interview, adding that former rivals like Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and Gov. John Kasich of Ohio should not expect to address the convention if they continue to withhold their support.

Mr. Trump insisted in an interview last week that his opponents would fail to derail his nomination. “You mean to tell me we’re going to get the largest vote in the history of the Republican primaries,” he said, “and now the same people that either didn’t run or got beaten in a landslide are going to try and back-end?”

“My supporters are tremendously loyal to me,” he added. “They would not stand for it.”

But the speaking arrangements may not be entirely up to Mr. Trump. Because Mr. Cruz won a majority of delegates in at least eight states, he would probably be able to have his name entered into nomination, guaranteeing him a speech under party rules.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/us/politics/donald-trump-and-rnc-see-common-foe-rogue-delegates.html

So that should be just fine.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Slate Action posted:

States aren't that elastic. In the scenario in which Trump wins ME-2, he most likely wins the election. However...

ME-2 is very white and very rural so I'm not sure about your logic here.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
This morning WaPo published the piece on Trump's charity donations that they've been tweeting about for the past week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...becb_story.html

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
NBC reporting that the FEC paperwork required to turn Trump's $45M loan into a donation has yet to be filed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/after-saying-he-forgave-loans-campaign-trump-won-t-release-n601596

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Michigan is so large and diverse that it's hard to characterize as a failed industrial state, even though everyone always does. We have our own in-state mini-rustbelt, essentially. We also have areas like Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor with low unemployment and modern micro economies. We also also have a ton of rural voters, including most of the upper peninsula, as well as a bunch of vibrant young college towns.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2016/01/02/5-trends-watch-state-economy/78012668/

Defiance fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 1, 2016

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Yeah, the Detroit Free Press could have really picked a better URL. Just one more kick in the balls for Detroit, I guess. They don't even feel it at this point.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Trump removes his weighted hair to power up to his full potential

Your loving doctor has ruined me!

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
No Dem opposition plan is going to be more effective than letting Donald Trump's team book talent and organize the Republican convention.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
I am hoping that Trump will keep Christie caged just off stage, greased up in a gimp suit, in order to keep the convention speakers toeing the line. I don't think airhorns are nearly weird enough for the convention that he will execute.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

These are really popular in parts of northern Utah.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Al! posted:

the "I feel impotent in my personal life and relationships and the only thing that makes me feel better is the idea that I am able to easily take another person's life at any timeshine state" was a flop

Powerless, not impotent. It's a proxy dick.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
It's been done. http://www.tommygunsvodka.com/

My local bar has a bottle on display. It's like $10 to take a shot directly from the barrel but I worry about tobacco spit residue.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Boosted_C5 posted:

Why should suppressors be illegal? Do you think hearing damage is a good thing?

Why do I bother, you're probably just another weenie leftist who think "assault weapons" or "weapons of war" are actual meaningful and intelligent lables and actually thinks a "silencer" is just like in the movies and will muffle a gun shot to the point of being barely audible allowing nefarious bad guys to silently spray lead

Why isn't assault weapon a meaningful term, exactly?

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
But that is extremely stupid, because the term assault weapon is a useful shorthand way to refer to a class of weapons. I think the term submachine gun is dumb, because they really don't operate like or resemble machine guns at all, but I use the term because it conjures up a helpful mental image that let's people know exactly what I'm talking about.

I mean, I'll call it a sporting rifle if the NRA really desperately wants me to, but it's still useful to have a blanket term.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
re: gunchat I just think it's time for some people who are obviously otherwise intelligent and well-spoken to face the fact that people are pretty upset and in no real mood for splitting hairs on terminology. I don't care if we're calling them assault weapons or whatever, the point is that insane people need to stop being able to easily access high-capacity semi-auto firearms and gun show loopholes need to be closed. I can't really think of any other subject where the national mood is so tonally different from the conservative party line.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Spun Dog posted:

So does that refer to the guy who did bath salts and ate another guy's face, or is that too on the nose?

Off-topic but the best part of that case is the dude who ate another guy's face didn't have anything but cannabis in his system. He was just crazy and hungry for face I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
I wonder what the split on people who support openly burning the Qu'aran is for Trump. There's no crosstabs on it.

• Locked thread