Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ZenVulgarity posted:

More people should try Persian food

The Nashville area has a burger chain started by an Iranian immigrant that makes burgers like he used to make in Iran.

https://youtu.be/XSJohvl8AI0?t=5m41s

Checkmate. :burger::respek::chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's funny they flip out over Jade Helm, because I remember around 2000 I was part of an Army training unit that ran helicopter exercises flying all over the middle of Texas that included entire foreign squadrons of Apache Longbow attack choppers. :ninja:

It was totally routine and unclassified NATO training poo poo, but I bet half the "BLACK UN CHOPPER" stories came from the swarms of helicopters flying at night over random cattle ranches and poo poo playing laser tag.

e: For instance: http://kdhnews.com/fort_hood_herald...1a4bcf6878.html

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 14, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, Nixon was just a goddamn terrible human being, so it's hard to give him any credit for anything even though like half his domestic agenda would be called communist by the current republican field.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nixon's "left-leaning" ideas were generally done to gently caress with Democrats by taking their popular ideas and claiming them as his own so he could dare them to vote against them while he put on a smug face.

He basically had no principles of any kind and was just grubbing for more power and prestige all the time. Even his supposedly rabid purestrain anti-communism went out the window when it let him put on a big show of being smarter than everyone else (e.g. becoming bros with Chairman loving Mao.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mitt Romney is the personification of all the things about the GOP establishment candidates that made the GOP base flock to Trump in the loving first place.

:laffo:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

That guy looks exactly like the villain in Deadpool who talks Wade Wilson into getting mutated and keeps getting called a pedo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

What's better/funnier, Trump running 3rd party against a bland establishment stooge the GOPe likes, or Trump running 3rd party against Cruz?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

I didn't think it was spot on with his earlier comments but now it's a slam dunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFl__NlOpA

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Why are people getting giddy over Trump's shitshow right now? It's June, nobody will remember what happened come next month, and I bet the convention will be a huge reset button on his campaign.

People said the same thing as soon as he had the nomination locked up, and he immediately doubled down on the crazy.

There is no evidence that he will even try to pivot. Assuming he's even capable of doing so.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

Lol, how's he going to enforce them?

It's just going to be infinite "anonymous leak by top Trump campaign official says..." for months, if not years.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Key & Peele are going to be handed a huge stack of oppo research and told to write every election speech from here until November.

Key: Obama, if we can get onto the rig, there's a way inside.
Obama: What are your names?
Peele: It's Key and Peele. We'll pike him in the comb-over, keep him breathing for you.
Obama: No!
[gives Key a revolver]
Obama: Put a bullet in his skull. Stop the rig. Return my treasures to me and I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla.
Key: Are we awaited?
Obama: [sprays Key & Peele's mouths with chrome spray paint] You will troll eternal, shiny and chrome.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

turns out that for all the noise about economics, nothing turns out the angry dude vote quite like some good old, down home racism

Well, no poo poo.

He's giving the base what it wants (racism), and what economics he does promise (protectionism, trade war, punishment for companies that soutsource) run exactly counter to the GOP's goals (free trade and cheap labor.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just heard a California delegate for Trump who is also a state legislator melt down on NPR on the way to work.

"Trump is losing big to Latinos in the polls, and we talked to some Latinos and they all hate Trump except for this one weird guy."

"Well, that just shows the diversity of opinions, and you can't trust polls."

"But Trump loves talking about polls, and the polls say he's gonna die. So..."

:qq: GOTCHA JOURNALISM :qq:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

prefect posted:

gently caress you; I'm positive Boehner drinks liquor. :clint:

Good things about Boehner:

1) Good taste in bourbon
2) Is not Ted Cruz
3) Laughing about 2) while drinking 1)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Would Newt even accept it? poo poo, WHY would he accept it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

All true but rats don't generally jump onto a sinking ship.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm kind of curious what Donald Trump's floor is with the electorate. He's transparently the most human garbage candidate put up by either party in living memory, but I get the impression that an old-school landslide where the winner gets 60%+ of the popular vote isn't even possible anymore.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/hollybdc/status/743831455260782592

The theoretical floor has long thought to be around a third, so we'll see if that's another piece of CW that the Donald destroys.

According to Wikipedia the biggest % of the popular vote ever was LBJ with 61%. The biggest margin ever was Harding with 26%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_popular_vote_margin

This doesn't include pre-1824, but obviously we're not going to have George Washington-tier unanimity about anything ever again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

Gary noooooooooo

Doesn't want to get the weed munchies on camera like Kasich.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

i like the idea that he's obsessed with efficiency. like if he spends 1/4 as much as hillary but only loses 45/55 then he's won, right?

Especially if 20% of what he did spend went back to Trump companies!

:master:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bryter posted:

It wasn't the massive blowout that goons were predicting. Weird.

Pretty sure almost all goons just copy-pasted what 538 said, which was mostly right.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

http://election.princeton.edu/todays-electoral-vote-histogram/

Trumps odds to win basically haven't moved in forever, in spite of the fluctuation in individual polls, because there is no realistic path through the EC for him. It's almost like it's not a real thing because everyone but old white people loving hate him and he can't create more of them out of thin air and deposit them all in Ohio and Florida.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

ashpanash posted:

If you go by the stats, it looks somewhat in Hillary's favor, somewhat not.

If you "go by the stats" right now Clinton wins by like 320-218.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mister magpie posted:

Why would the GOP turn away from the demagogue who encompasses the views and ideals of their angry, white base?

Because they want to be a broad-based party of 1) angry openly racist white men, 2) angry repressed racist white men who won't admit it to themselves, and 3) sheltered rich people who are in denial about the racist messaging so they can get tax cuts.

Trump spoils the game by making it harder for 2) and 3) to maintain plausible deniability.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

the saurus is dead, i cast him down into the shadowlands where all welshmen belong

How would they tell the difference?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

I live in a place that's called "Little Mogadishu" and the food is loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-4ATrE8n0&feature=youtu.be&t=1m19s

e: Some parts might be :nws: I guess.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 19, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Xandu posted:

Per agreement, sounds like they've agreed to pay for his legal counsel and to cover all legal damages, too. Wow

The problem with being cynical is that there's no way to keep up. Be a sex predator, get truckloads of cash money. :signings:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bunleigh posted:

I really wonder if it will ever be possible to put the genie back in the bottle after this carnival of madness

At the moment there is nothing to prevent another Trump type from preaching to the racists and derailing the next Republican primary in the exact same way in 2020.

E: Racists will never choose a dog whistle racist when an open racist like Trump is available, and they are the largest bloc of GOP primary voters. They didn't care about electability this time and they won't in the future.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 20, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

zen death robot posted:

Exactly, if Trump loses then he gets to be the guy who stood up for "true conservative beliefs" and if not then nothing much changed and most of the party still hates him.

It kinda boggles the mind that almost nobody else reached the same conclusion. You only need the most rudimentary level of rat-like cunning (which is all Cruz has) to realize that betting on Trump winning (which is what endorsing him is) is a sucker's bet.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This is a terrible argument he's making anyway, but it's especially dumb since Khan was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star as well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Heroin status - cheaper than candy!

♫ I want candy smack-y ♫

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Right now the Democrats are way more economically populist than the Republicans, and it has won them about 0% of the working class white racist vote, and almost all the not-white racist working class vote.

Economic populism by itself doesn't do poo poo in America. It's just the sprinkles on the politicized race hate cake. Anybody looking at Trump and going "But for the racism he's on to something!" are comically missing the point, because if you take away the race hate and general craziness then Trump is never nominated in the first place.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Antti posted:

Cpt. Humayun Khan was awarded a posthumous Bronze Star.

"Well, it's not like it was the Medal of Honor or something..." - Some scumbag, right now, probably.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I'd rather just call Trump the GOP's Mondale.

Goldwater II: Blowout Boogaloo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

kalensc posted:

:eng99: yep I done hosed it up

His real lines were better. I mean when he wasn't being a racist of course.

:bahgawd: God can do anything! He can turn your jawbone into an rear end!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

turnip kid posted:

When's Trump going to bring up Hillary's health "problems"? Seems like a winning strategy. I mean, Hannity already floated it last night and will probably keep it up for a few more weeks. Might as well see what happens...

He already has the pantomine siezures down pat from when he made fun of that handicapped reporter. :master:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

General Dog posted:

Actually it's extremely easy for an insane candidate to get out of it if he just continues saying a different insane thing every day.

The trajectory of his polls suggests... not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

I can't do it anymore. Baghdad Bob would blush.

THIS IS A loving DISASTER AND WE'RE GOING DOWN IN FLAMES

gently caress WHY DIDN'T I JUST TAKE ANOTHER BUSH AND LIKE IT

Nice meltdown. :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dan Rather posted:

No trying-to-be objective and fair journalist, no citizen who cares about the country and its future can ignore what Donald Trump said today. When he suggested that "The Second Amendment People" can stop Hillary Clinton he crossed a line with dangerous potential. By any objective analysis, this is a new low and unprecedented in the history of American presidential politics. This is no longer about policy, civility, decency or even temperament. This is a direct threat of violence against a political rival. It is not just against the norms of American politics, it raises a serious question of whether it is against the law. If any other citizen had said this about a Presidential candidate, would the Secret Service be investigating?

Candidate Trump will undoubtably issue an explanation; some of his surrogates are already engaged in trying to gloss it over, but once the words are out there they cannot be taken back. That is what inciting violence means.
To anyone who still pretends this is a normal election of Republican against Democrat, history is watching. And I suspect its verdict will be harsh. Many have tried to do a side-shuffle and issue statements saying they strongly disagree with his rhetoric but still support the candidate. That is becoming woefully insufficient. The rhetoric is the candidate.

This cannot be treated as just another outrageous moment in the campaign. We will see whether major newscasts explain how grave and unprecedented this is and whether the headlines in tomorrow's newspapers do it justice. We will soon know whether anyone who has publicly supported Trump explains how they can continue to do.

We are a democratic republic governed by the rule of law. We are an honest, fair and decent people. In trying to come to terms with today's discouraging development the best I can do is to summon our greatest political poet Abraham Lincoln for perspective:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Lincoln used these stirring words to end his First Inaugural Address. It was the eve of the Civil War and sadly his call for sanity, cohesion and peace was met with horrific violence that almost left our precious Union asunder. We cannot let that happen again.

Good stuff.

zoux posted:

How's the alt right handling the polls

Unskew II: This Time It's True!

• Locked thread