Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The cop who was one of the first responders to the scene died of his wounds a few minutes ago, bringing the death total up to five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Effectronica posted:

What's interesting is that people are automatically disclaiming that Israel wants peace. Not universally, but nobody assumes that settlers attacking Palestinians are trying to make peace or talks about how this moves things away from peace. This only really makes sense if you believe that Israel is completely hostile to peace or the idea of it.

Our government of the last several years has definitely done everything in its power to make sure that peace isn't an option. I don't think our generation will ever see peace here barring some freak, history changing occurrence.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah when our interventions instead lead to slow genocides and ethnic cleanings I really don't see how us leaving would make a difference. I say let Turkey, Iran and Saudi Arabia decide what happens to the region.

I hate saying this but Iraq was better off with Saddam. The entire region is super hosed now.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Is collective punishment justified?

No. Having said that, this guy's family probably knew what was coming the moment he took off in his car with the objective of harming Israelis. It's like The Scorpion and The Frog except both of them are scorpions.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Job Truniht posted:

Does anyone want to bother making that distinction? What constitutes a crime and what constitutes a terrorist attack in Israel? The Israeli government sure loving doesn't.

Are you an Arab harming a Jew? You're a terrorist. There, that about covers it. :)

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Job Truniht posted:

Do you operate in a vacuum or something? A lot of people in this thread believe, rightfully, that Bibi and his sycophant cabinet represent the general will of the Israeli public. If you want to ignore right wing extremism in Israel, let's pretend that Rabin never got assassinated and, if he did, it was by an Arab. It's not a question on whether or not the Israeli people and their government should be held accountable, but how much they should be held accountable.

There's no doubt that Israelis have been leaning more and more right since Bibi's return to power, so much so that Bibi is now almost perceived as center. I fear the very real possibility that Bennett or Liberman will replace him once his term is up. Personally I think we're long overdue for a rude awakening of sorts, be it from the international community or elsewhere.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You mean like legal terrorism and nonviolent terrorism and UN terrorism? I'd love to be able to make an argument to the Palestinians that not doing vile things is going to get them somewhere, but Israeli policy of rewarding terrorists and punishing collaborators is sure making that difficult. American diplomatic immunity at the UNSC ain't helping, either.

The current Israeli government is like a child looking for any excuse to start a fight; perhaps it's best not to give them one so when they finally do go on the offensive anyway they won't have a scapegoat to fall back on. The international community will surely step in then.. right? :(

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

There is a lot of room between Gandhi and attacking civilians and making that comparison is presenting a false dichotomy.

They could have attacked an IDF soldier or another legitimate military target but they didn't. They attacked civilians.

Looking forward to someone saying "well they're all gonna be drafted sooner or later anyway" as a counterpoint.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, the whole thing started with proto-Israel pulling off one of the most successful acts of ethnic cleansing in recent history. While I'm not gonna defend fuckers like the House of Saud, blaming Arabs for fighting back against an invasion seems disingenuous at best.

Nah it was the A-rabs that started it.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare: This Israeli civilian is literally more professional than US police.

I heard on the news that he a) was a paratrooper in the IDF and b) in recent years has been literally one of Bibi's personal bodyguards, so.. yeah.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Neither is Israel electing their current politicians.

Yeah we're pretty lovely. At this point I'd settle for nearly anyone but Bibi.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Seeing as the only person who could even begin to challenge Bibi's control over the coalition is Bennett, I'm pretty happy with Netanyahu.

Why? Bibi's all about keeping the status quo. With Bennett things might get worse enough that the US and/or UN intervene! :)

Basically I'm saying that Israel is a loving baby having a temper tantrum and we desperately need a responsible adult to step in and discipline us, hard, because we can't seem to do it ourselves anymore.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 4, 2014

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Volkerball posted:

I'm not an accelerationist. Prime Minister Naftali Bennett gives me cold chills.

Same, I'm just really desperate over here truth be told. I have a feeling it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better at any rate.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 4, 2014

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Last elections I voted for Meretz but I think I might go for Ha'avoda this go around. They have a better shot of taking down Bibi than anyone else and really that's my only objective.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah but it's the same as it always is, they'll always seat in an Avoda coalition if such a coalition has a chance to depose Bibi, similarly they'd never seat in a rightwing led coalition and they're also not as disgusting as Avoda on most issues so, why not vote for them again?

Meretz talks big but the smaller parties don't really change poo poo at the end of the day. Ha'avoda having more seats might.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 7, 2014

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Volkerball posted:

The poll from last week put them at 24 seats to Likud's 22 and Jewish Home's 15.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/1.631032

This is more accurate, yes. Also a press conference announcing Tzipi's and Herzog's combined initiative to take out Bibi starts in about an hour.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"Bibi's regime" = government of Israel yes? you seem really confused about this point, I am not entirely sure what would transpire had we somehow magically transplanted the entire Israeli government and Knesset in Damascus and allowed them to run the show, seems to be such a fantastical scenario that merely discussing it in such terms is a non-sequitur.

But yes, given the respective recent histories of both of these fail loser idiots I still think there's cause to think that Bibi comes positively ahead in every measurable criteria.

I also think that and I kind of wish Bibi was dead.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

What I mean is that if you thrust the Israeli government into the middle of a desperate war, not a pretend war like they are used to prosecuting, I do not think that they would have any more impressive a record on atrocity and death than the Syrian government has managed. The fact that the Syrian civil war is bloody is not a credit or any sort of proof that the Israeli government is "better." Please let go of the final, sad illusion that Israel has moral superiority over even one other nation in the middle east.

Wow it's like you can't separate the little thoughts in your head from reality at all. ):

Cugel the Clever posted:

Two confirmed dead from Hezbollah attack. Things could get ugly. Already have Lieberman calling for a "disproportionate response".

As opposed to all those totally in proportion responses of the past? Goddamn our ministers are a bunch of inbreds.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I'm an Israeli living in Israel currently but don't intend on staying here for much longer. It kind of sucks, you see.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SyHopeful posted:

Where do you plan on heading to?

In an ideal world it would be London but anti-semitism seems to be on the rise there big time so probably good ol' USA.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

I can read "Ariel Sharon" and "Lily Sharon", but what is the rest?

The two lines right below Ariel Sharon read: General in the IDF & the 11th Prime Minister of Israel. The rest are their Hebrew days of birth/death.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Yeah, they really disappointed me with that decision. Looks like I'll be voting Meretz once again. :smith:

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

I think there is a difference between wanting people in other countries dead and wishing a (equally native) group in your own country which hasn't participated in violence against you should be also wiped out.

A lot of Palestinians wish for the death of all Israelis/Jews the same way a lot of Israelis wish for the death of all Palestinians/Muslims. They're both equally dumb and sad.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Duckbag posted:

I'll have you know that there are still many of us naive dreamers who haven't given up hope of establishing a secular, multi-ethnic democracy in the region. You're free to laugh at that idea though. Everyone else seems to.

It could've worked in 1967, maybe, but at this point we need to be kept as far apart from each other as possible. Co-existence is just not gonna happen in our current (racist, ugly, petty) climate.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not really. The Yishuv "proved itself" through joining and aiding the Allied efforts, as well as helping the British, until they turned back on the British and helped make it costly for them to stay. The Declaration of Independence came after about a year of a civil war where the Zionists held ground and even expanded the Yishuv. If anything it's evidence for his point.:

Also, Israel won several big wars before the US started backing them in any official capacity.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Bibi is a two-faced bitch, he's saying this now just to steal a couple more votes from Bennet's party.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Except that Israel is significantly larger, and is an independent state with, among other things, it's own army. So he's actually nothing like a big-town mayor.

Yeah, I would say he's more like the PM of a small country. You terrible analogy using fucks.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

He may be a piece of poo poo, but he's definitely good at politicking. Have to at least give him that.

I'd so rather give him something cold and sharp instead. ): Jokes aside, seriously this guy cannot be stopped.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The best case scenario is that Netanyahu has done irrepairable diplomatic damage the past two days and that there will be significant sanctions taken by the EU and possibly by Obama, two-state solution has been the credo of the american administration for over twenty years, even AIPAC might not be able to block the tide now if Obama and Europe openly brand Netanyahu's Israel as a 'peace refuser'.

We'll see, there's still some measure of hope that the real results might lean more positively.

Not a chance. The army's (and diplomats') votes that have yet to be counted always lean to the right. Our only chance is a union government which will last two years and then we go to yet another mad scramble.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Miftan posted:

I'm actually technically one of the 'diplomat' votes and in my very specific and small environment there is a slight lean to the left, so you never know. I didn't get to vote this year because I was in Israel when the voting was going on here, and back here when the voting was going on in Israel. Kind of blows, but really it would've been between Meretz and Joint List and they both did as well as I could've hoped.

Well, there's a reason why I put you guys in parentheses. ;) You're minuscule compared to the number of soldiers voting and the IDF is really loving right leaning.

EDIT: Shout out to all my Meretz bros. We made it in at least!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Zehava quitting seals the deal in my eyes as to this country's future. I truly feel as if all hope is lost.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Lum_ posted:

true, imagine what Israel's foreign policy would be like if Avigdor Lieberman was ever actually foreign minister

;)

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Elotana posted:

Bennett to Bibi: "Hey rear end in a top hat we all speak English"

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Po...an-state-394595

lol. Also word has it that Kachlon is asking for authority over pretty much everything relating to housing, banks, finance, etc. specifically so we don't get another Lapid-esque fiasco. It's gonna be near impossible for Bibi to please everyone this time, and to that I say GOOD.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

I know it's impossible but if Bibi is somehow passed over to head the next coalition I eagerly await the following meltdown

I would gladly give away MIGF's firstborn to make this come true.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Back to the Israeli elections for a sec: did we talk about Herzog offering Kachlon everything but the kitchen sink, up to and including rotation as PM? Because holy poo poo. :catstare:

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sharon's coma went from 'coma' to 'literally dead' about a year ago.

You're not truly dead until you're forgotten about imo.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Bibi-hitler.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

most ideal solution:-

1) the dismantling of the apartheid regime, the establishment of one secular state from the river to the sea with equal rights and votes for Palestinians.

2) the right of return for all of the Palestinians including their descendants.

3) Tear down all apartheid wall, liberate the gaza ghetto, recognition of crimes committed and reparations.

See that? not so bad now, is it? Unless of course if you think equal rights for all men is a bad thing and that religious racism should be enforced at the point of a gun that is.

Sounds p cool if you want a civil war on your hands.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But is the vision of a Greater Syria, as long as everyone's civil, religious, and national rights are preserved, an acceptable one to you? Suppose that we could flick a switch and make it work. Is this something you lot would be interested in having? If not, why not? That, I think, in itself, I believe, could be an interesting conversation?

Of course I would but I'm not naive enough to think it possible. The hatred between Israelis and Palestinians is too great to overcome; the best we can hope for is quiet isolation from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

And the Germans had to give back Alsace and Lorraine.

Food for thought?

I would more than welcome a return to the '67 borders and making Jerusalem a city-state in return for peace.

• Locked thread