Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Ultimate Gaming Rig isn't an outright "they don't send out the prizes," scam, but it's pretty close.

I reckon that considering the two guys who posted in the comments only got money after basically demanding for months, and then not the full amount, lands it square in scam territory.

I do remember similar ads here in Australia but I wonder if they might have been legit competitions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

I am not sure if this was just an Australian thing but enjoy:

NSFW I guess to some http://i.imgur.com/W6NR29N.jpg

Now that takes me back. T shirts or stickers? I cant remember too well.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I think that's just a product of pop culture not fitting into calendar decades. It was either here or in another 90s thread, but the general consensus was that the 90s ended with 9/11. Also, watch Freaks and Geeks for a good example of this. It's set in 1980/81 and yet everything is 70s as hell.

Even the "90's" didnt really get started until well into 91, particuarly with music. Anything released in 1990 just absolutely screams 1980s.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

You ever want to get an accurate idea of what average, ordinary people looked like from the late '70s to today, take a look at this website, click on a year, and then click on the LPI interns pic.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi_40th/

That's pretty much what the 1980s looked like in a nutshell. Not everyone looked like Madonna and Don Johnson throughout the entire decade as "lol the '80s!!!" Hollywood and TV want you to believe. And if we're going by fashion alone, the 1970s really didn't end until 1984, the '80s didn't end until 1992, and the '90s didn't end until 2001, so good accuracy on goons, I guess.

Almost none of the clothes in the 78 picture would be out of place today.

To be fair, the fashion of the last 10 years has very much been a revival of 70's trends anyway so that might make sense.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i have a book I nabbed cheap that is the top 100 albums of the 90s by sales, and the top 10 looks like this

10 Baby one more Time - Britney Spears
9 Ropin' the Wind - Garth Brooks
8 Self Titled - Backstreet Boys
7 Supernatural - Santana
6 Double Live - Garth Brooks
5 No Fences - Garth Brooks
4 Cracked Rear Veiw - Hootie and the Blowfish
3 Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morrissette
2 OST - The Bodyguard
1 Come on Over - Shania Twain

We tend to remember the good stuff, that had some kind of impact culturally rather than just poo poo that sold well. I think music nerds get too hung up on sales sometimes and ignore that no matter the decade, most of the best selling stuff is forgettable crap.

Bit late to the discussion but this is so drat true of every decade. The 70's which are remembered for basically the best era of music was just chock filled with absolute garbage constantly in the charts.

In a similar vein, up until recently I really disliked a lot of 80's music due to the over saturation of a plethora of really pretty average 80's pop music. But once youve peeled off the layer of crap you realize there were a lot of bands back then that released some drat good music.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I want it that way by the Backstreet Boys is better than Wonderwall by Oasis

Theres a LOT of loving songs better then Wonderwall.

I like Oasis quite a bit and I loving hate that garbage song.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

In Britain, the most memorable political satire was "Tony Blair as the Messiah" from about 1997 through to 2001. For example. Then Iraq happened, and it became "Tony B. Liar as a poodle sitting in Bush's lap". :D

Before that, Spitting Image did John Major as a literal grey man, but I don't think it was as effective. Political satire is only as strong as the personalities who are being satirised. So in the UK context, there was a lot of entertaining stuff in the Thatcher and Blair years, but it was less effective when Major, Brown and now Cameron were prime minister.

Mid 80's to mid 90's Australia had a similar program called "Rubbery figures" that satirized our government and the opposition. These were the years we had Bob Hawke as Prime Minister and Paul Keating in power and they both were some of the strongest politicians you could ever find. Absolute gold of a show even 25+ years later. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWlC2V-ZMOM

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Slugnoid posted:

At Wobbies World there's heaps to do. Bring your friends and mum too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RenS7Kxrmg

loving hell that brings back memories. Heres the actual ad youre quoting though which is etched into my brain like no other. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLtBUS5fUow

*edit, and a drat shame the late show doesnt exist anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78cnkV9j-so

Nutsngum has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Nov 4, 2015

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

What a bunch of loving nerds.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Kavak posted:

So it's like that one scene in the Blues Brothers except on the scale of an entire tour.

That was one pretty bitchin microphone though.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

My favorite in the series was always 2. 3 has HD remake, but not 2. I love the old school sprites. Though I think there was a limit on how many sprites you could have on screen. I remember Red Alert 2 building a poo poo ton of Aircraft carriers and when the planes left, everyone would slow down to a crawl. Still a problem with rendered stuff, but it was novel when that actually became a problem.

Seconding 2 being my favourite. I just loved the art style just a bit more over 3s digitized graphics. Plus the races felt a bit more balanced then 3 where towns like Inferno were just simply not as good as others.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was all Sonic. Sonic was the one that had all this runaway success by being "a dude with a 'tude" in contrast to boring old Mario. It's pretty interesting to read about how Sonic was the product of intense focus group analyses to create this gestalt of everything that was "cool" in 1992 or so, which resulted in Sonic's creation being partly influenced by Bill Clinton.

Funny how Sonic has more or less fallen by the wayside with years of awful video games. Lets be honest, it was a less then charming cast of characters and locations and the epitome of focus group design. Mario has been FAR more endearing and marketable over the years.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

How is it english people never realized just how INSANELY creepy and weird this thing is? Like its almost nightmarish.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

WeX Majors posted:

I feel like I've posted this before, but god drat is it still beautifully 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbK-Bo3k9KQ

I always find it amusing when the "american" version of Beyond 2000 shows up. Seems like the exact kind of show that would have existed or been remade in America already but nope, just film some nerdy looking guy doing the intros and keep the really obvious Australian presenters in!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Something I remembered after a friend posted a bunch of pictures from high school is that the 90s is when Goth kids all started to look just silly. Yea, it was black clothing and makeup and poo poo, but it was the 90s when everything became giant pants with buckles and straps and poo poo hanging off them. I also remember goth kids stopped being all morose and sad, listening to the Cure and Bahaus and got all angry and poo poo and constantly talking about hurting other people. I do know some goth kids I knew saw Columbine as some kind of positive thing, where the goth freaks that were bullied finally struck back at the nerds and jocks that treated them like poo poo, but not many. Maybe it was the music going from songs about being lonely and not being able to find love and death to songs about killing and torture and stuff.

Actually come to think of it, as the decade went on, people seemed to get angrier and angrier.

Calm down grandpa, the local kids wont hurt you as long as you keep taking your medicine.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

life is a joke posted:

Weird, I thought cotton eye joe was just a modern techno beat under some old timey mountain man's recording. Haven't thought or heard of them in well over a decade, but according to wikipedia it's an entire "thing" with game of thrones style member power struggles for the last 20 years.

There was some 90s british band that was similar thing, a bunch of people fighting to be the official version of some one-hit-wonder band who's original members have long since left. Someone should remember the name, it's on the tip of my tongue.

The band was literally advertised for sale at some point.

Just check out the Todd in the Shadows one hit wonderland review for all your rednex needs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPH_Aj-GGE

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

Yeah, but that one specifically was based on the terrible movie

There were a lot of movie tie-in cartoons during the 90s

John Astin (the original Gomez from the tv show) voiced Gomez in this series as well. Pretty well captured the right tone with it all.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I grew up in California and doodled that too. It's like we're all connected and the world is a small place.

Here in Australia as well. I think its been discussed earlier in this thread (or a previous version) and goons from Sweden and poo poo piped up about it as well. Truly grafiitti without borders.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Captain planet was at least somewhat earnest in its 90's brand of eco friendlyness. Widget the world watcher was unmitigated pretentious garbage.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

WebDog posted:

At least in the 90's we only had to put up with Dougie the Pizza guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtH3OxCbXI

loving hell this takes me back. I think there were a couple of others werent there?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, it varied a bit.

You could also have stuff like Obi-Wan posing in front of a cardboard cutout of Liam Neeson:

Qui-Gon wearing a loving anime cape pasted into the Jedi Council scene from the movie:

And a fairly decent cover spoiled by the puppet Yoda looming in the background:

I can almost feel that embossed STAR WARS title.

The whole extended universe bookline is so drat 90s as well. With a 95% rate of terrible books im amazed we put up with so much back then.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

:chanpop: that's pretty 90s.

Anyone else thing they were going to retire at age 10 thanks to this thing?

I keep forgetting Terrance Stamp was in that awful movie for about two minutes. I hope you stooged Lucas for as much cash as you could Mr Stamp.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember my mum had kept this three-quarters full packet of Phantom Menace paper napkins which she got for my eighth birthday party back in 1999, and the reason I remember them is that we only used them up three years ago.

Emergency toilet paper I am hoping.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Cat was sick, I think.

Truly a fitting usage of garbage merchandise.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Those poor kids, that place looks depressing as poo poo.

NEW RIDE! lmao

As a 5 year old I was FAR too dumb to realize how terrible Wobbys world actually was but I am forever glad my parents had to put up with it all :v:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

The cultural 90's were between November 9th, 1989 to September 10th, 2001.

All of a sudden the Cold War is no longer a thing, so in the US, there's no longer this easy bogeyman to blame poo poo on. Combine that with the easy victory of the Persian Gulf War and you've got a recipe for a cultural arrogance of "we know what's best."

This plus the advent of computing as a serious home information source due to the internet. People remember the 90s much more fondly because it definitly was this era of information boom and awe.

As you said, no more cold war, everyone is friends! It genuingly gave people (in the west) a time of positivity until Bush and 9-11 changed everything.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know what the most 90s of all the big 90s summer blockbusters are, but I think Twister is up there. I was five when Twister came out and I saw it on video at a friend's house, and for so many years afterwards I was convinced that the tornado they're chasing was supposed to be the same one that killed Helen Hunt's characters father in the prologue back to finish the job.

Obviously a tornado cant come back and "hunt your children down!" but you're completely right that the way the movie kind of pans out that its almost implies that.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

We should probably be pretty thankful that the Marvel CU films are all generally good to great in quality (For what they are) as them dominating and destroying the blockbuster could have been so much worst if they were just garbage drivel.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

In about 1994, Disney released a Mickey Mouse rap album called Mickey Unrapped, featuring songs like "Whatta Mouse" - a cover of "Whatta Man" by Salt-N-Pepa in which Minnie Mouse raps about how she knows Mickey will never cheat on her.

This was the album art:

Either Mickey is wearing two sets of pants there or he has been wearing undewear only for the last 90 years.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's an impressive performance when you realize he was basically ready to tip over and the rest of the band wasn't even sure he'd be there. It's also probably the last thing he ever really did of significance with the band. He recorded two songs for a box set type thing afterwards, but to give you an idea of how bad things got for him, when the band went on Rockline (which used to a fairly popular syndicated show that hipped me to a lot of stuff and probably deserves it's own post from someone more knowledgeable) to promote it, he ended up calling into the show and it clearly surprised the rest of the band and the host. I guess it could have been planned but given how incredibly hosed up his life got it's totally plausible.

Apparently when they found him, it was "Rookie officer in the corner puking his guts out" bad, guy's injection arm had gone gangrenous. He had a hell of a singing voice and was apparently really kind according to a lot of Seattle peers, his story was really sad. His mom had plenty to say about the ghouls who hung around Layne once he got famous in the excellent book Grunge is Dead by Greg Prato. Kurt Cobain had a similar issue. I know Mark Arm (Mudhoney, and a friend of Kurt's) says he wishes that when Kurt asked Mark how he got clean, he wished he'd have said "You have to take a break from all of this, and you have to ditch your junkie wife, too."

Maybe unfair to Courtney, but I kinda get it.

Apparently quite a few of the songs took several takes to do and its kind of obvious in that the session doesnt really flow well.. and well Layne is just so zonked out. Despite being a colossal Alice in Chains fan, I just cant listen to the unplugged session, it just kind of hurts to hear Layne barely hold it together.

Doesn't help that in contrast, Nirvana unplugged is one of the greatest live recordings ever done (all one take as well) and really is Nirvana's best "album" by an honest long shot. I can listen through that show on a road trip without any hassle, its just that good.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Frankston posted:

I remember the day I got my tamagotchi, it was transparent orange and I was so excited to show my friend. I ran over to his house and dropped it on the floor and broke it.

I never had one myself but I remember being so drat desperate to get one during that fad. I doubt they cost anymore then 20bucks or so but never had the cash as a kid I suppose. In retrospect kids get so drat obsessed over the most ridiculous poo poo.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Dixville posted:

Also on the topic of Rent, there was a pretty good critique of it on YouTube by that girl that used to be "Nostalgia Chick" (Lindsay Ellis)
https://youtu.be/q0qfFbtIj5w

"Look Pretty and do as Little as Possible"

Edit it is more specifically a critique of the 2005 movie adaptation but it also touches on the issues with the original play

Was about to post this. She does a pretty good evaluation on why its really a pretty big piece of poo poo. Her other videos are really quite insightful as well.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Morphine is so strange in that they had this era of strange success reflected in media of the time but have since almost completely faded from popular memory. Its a massive shame too as they were just an amazing band all the way untill Sandman's death.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I know the hang-glider is in the distance but man the perspective looks so much like its a tiny person standing on the car

No, that IS a tiny person with a stunt kite in the background. It was the 90s afterall.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Homicide was like, prestige TV before that was actually a thing. A cop show where stuff wasn't necessarily all wrapped up in 44 minutes? Distinct cinematography and editing? Montages set to popular music? drat.

But of course people now only talk about The Wire, which didn't have Frank Pembleton so therefore, is inferior.

I wonder if it's possible, let alone financially viable, to do an HD remaster of that series. Even if it would be marketed as STARRING CAPTAIN HOLT AND GUS FRING

What show can we nail down as the real start of "prestige television"? Im betting its probably the Sopranos that really began the trend properly.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably Hill Street Blues.

I havent seen Hill Street Blues and yeah Babylon 5 is certainly a precursor buts general production and acting quality wasnt really up to par enough to really start a trend. You could probably throw Twin Peaks in there as well. Im talking more what kickstarted the concept of it being a legitimate form of entertainment worth funding.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Murder, She Wrote was also the last television series to cut on film.

By cut do you mean strictly editing or something because there were definitely shows done on film post 1996

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

And that is the worst song ever written.

Wonderful Tonight is only like the first circle of the hell of easy listening, the rabbit hole goes oh so deeper.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Guitar solos were de rigeur in mainstream rock in the 80s and it got to the point where lots of pop songs had some sort of guitar solo in them as well so I can imagine people would get bored of it, but I'm surprised they never came back again and never have. Who's the last "guitar hero" in rock music who broke through? I feel like you probably have to go back to Slash.

Slash is going back 30 years though and its super hard to nail down "mainstream" anyway as rock has almost always been 2nd to easy listening garbage/RnB/whatever you classify modern stuff as since forever.

I still believe Jerry Cantrell is waaay up there in the best solo guitar players in the last few decades. The man absolutely knows how to make a guitar sound amazing.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gently caress I despise this film. Tries so drat hard to be as cool as Waynes World was but presents a bunch of insufferable wanks instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Lindsay Ellis was the best thing to come out of that debacle.

Her videos are legit really good breakdowns and media analysis. Her and Todd are basically the only good things attached to that entire mess.