Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have rented a couple places that had a 300-500 refundable pet deposit and didn't charge any extra rent. anything else just seems like charging for no reason. if there is damage to the apartment, keep the deposit. if you have a well behaved pet the worst you're gonna do is maybe get charged 50-100 of the deposit for steam cleaning some carpets and cleaning dog/cat smell out of an A/C duct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't even have A/C ducts, this is radiator heat.

the danger with rental apartments is that people don't replace the aircon filter. when i rented i used to turn on the AC and smell the air coming out of the register, then turn on the heater and smell the air. sometimes you get a huge whiff of someone's gross dog smell.

i like dogs, but dog smell in vacuums and air conditioning systems is the worst.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
h e butt is a good grocery store the one near me has an awesome tortillaria where you can buy good fresh tortillas and buñuelos and other mexican bread things fresh each day

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Necc0 posted:

Yup. They do. Back when I was on the bench at my old consulting gig I thought about doing uber for the gently caress of it but they didn't allow mustangs or any other coupes

what the hell

i didn't want to uber in my car but now that i know i can't i want to uber just out of spite

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

what's the hobo code symbol for free wifi?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

making asteroid mining profitable would be an amazing development that i would welcome with open arms. it means either there's such a huge demand for material in space that it's become more practical to do manufacturing in orbit (which means we're doing a shitload of stuff up there) or they've somehow managed to make it price-competitive with terrestrial mining and we can start getting people out of the terrible business of blasting huge gouges in the earth and asphyxiating to death in our man-made caves.

no it means the earth is for rich people and we launch all the poor people into space to mine asteroids.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
like a reverse elysium

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

a quad copter landed on the white ouse lawn once somewhat recently

they analyzed the gently caress out of it and determined the owner lost contact/control with it so they didn't charge him with anything

but it made it

this was literally a drunk guy who said ooops and went to bed

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Syncopated posted:

bleeding them dry by selling them stuff

bleeding them dry by not letting the german currency inflate.

if the germans don't bail out greece then the euro is just another fixed exchange rate scheme, not a true monetary union. if it didn't exist, no one would actually be able to afford those german things because the german currency would be through the roof.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

bill shockley was a dick

One of SV's founders, ladies and gents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shockley

literally the plot for idiocracy lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

remember: the last cycle of republican primary debates included the audience cheering when someone pointed out that a particular health care policy would leave poor people with medical problems with no option but to die in the streets

i am so excited that rick perry is running again and is back with his smart glasses, it's gonna be great entertainment:

here's a good rundown of how he sleeps well at night in spite of executing innocent people and how his plan for the droubt and wildfires in 2011 was to pray for rain and other great rick perrry classics:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2015-06-23/perrys-top-10-worst-hits/

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

kdrudy posted:

There are so many eugenics creeps in American history that we don't like to discuss.

here's a good one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Popenoe

this guy was a crazy eugenicist who, after that went out of style with the holocaust, started the modern practice of marriage counseling and wrote a popular column in ladies home journal

he basically invented marriage counseling to encourage certain people not to breed and wrote in ladies home journal mostly about how the woman should knuckle down and deal with being beaten and poo poo to save the marriage if they were going to produce superior offspring

sooooooo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wrong thread lol i am dumb

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
fart

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

and that's why you have the robot in glacial speed mode and someone with their hand over the emergency stop when teaching a robot. and why you loving lockout tagout poo poo when you do not absolutely need it to move.

yeah when i worked at a semiconductor fab we had a guy get thrown through a wall by a robot, turned out he was defeating like 3 safety interlocks intentionally

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

mlyp (much like your pittsburgh)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sniep posted:

to be real that qualcom facility in la jolla or del mar or wherever that is up there in that spot far west mira mesa blvd, that area is fuckin beautiful

a nice campus is good but the thing that a summer intern at a company like qualcom gets is a goddamn paycheck that's probably actually pretty good

i know people in entertainment and publishing and advertising and they all talk about internships as times where they had to also work at taco bell or borrow more student loans because they don't get paid and that poo poo is nuts, who in their right mind charges up a credit card for "work experience"?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

instacart is disrupting the gig economy.

trying to get out ahead of the class action lawsuits i wager.

yeah came here to post this, i wonder how many of these companies are prepared to fight lawsuits about this. i'm sure uber is but they're terrible. i wonder if other companies will eventually give up on pretending employees aren't actually employees.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

wait i thought uber drivers were prohibited to taking money outside of the app

or are they saying that drivers should shave off even more of their poo poo income to pay taxes that uber doesn't feel like collecting?

this is a local thing to austin, though other places have similar rules. if you pay through the app you are technically paying uber, not the driver, if you are paying the driver directly in cash, that is an unlicensed taxi and you are violating the local austin taxi statutes.

they had code enforcement leaving tips in uber drivers for the first few months they operated here who would leave a buck in the cup holder and if the uber driver didn't give it back to them they'd impound the car and it was hilarious.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

im not trying to brag it's just not 100% a clown company

yeah if there is anywhere that dumb hiring things take forever it is large companies

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beeftweeter posted:

i actually got hired at apple, the worlds largest corporation by market capitalization pretty quickly

i got hired at my current company in less in two days, and i have also seen people at this company sit in limbo for months while visas get worked out or the hiring manager says yes and goes on vacation and doesn't tell forgets to tell HR and comes back all "what they should have started 3 weeks ago" and other such things

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
at a small company you can't have that kind of communication breakdown because there is no one to communicate with

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pinterest Mom posted:

At least four men ticketed by Los Angeles International Airport police while driving for Uber’s low-cost car service have criminal convictions that would bar them from operating a taxi in Los Angeles, records show.

The drivers have been convicted of child exploitation, identity theft, manslaughter and driving under the influence, according to court records. Each offense would make them ineligible for a Los Angeles taxi permit.

The criminal histories recently came to light when a representative of the taxi industry presented a city official with a binder containing citations and court records for eight Uber drivers who were cited for minor violations at the airport over the last 18 months. The Times obtained a copy and independently confirmed that the records were accurate.

One Uber driver ticketed at LAX was convicted of 14 counts of felony identity theft in 2012. Under the terms of his five-year probation, he cannot have access to any “personal identifying information,” including credit cards and debit cards, according to court records. All Uber passengers are required to pay with a credit or debit card.

Another driver was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in 1998 and sentenced to 25 years in prison. Parole records show he was released last year. That conviction would not necessarily bar him from driving for Uber, but it would make it difficult, if not impossible, to get a taxi permit.

this is horrifying but uber drivers don't see the credit card it happens through the app right?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
most things that are vegan not by design are good, many things vegan and trying to be a non vegan thing are bad imitations of the non vegan thing

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

life insurance, banking, cars, real estate were all vertical integrations once upon a time

no explanation at all for fashionable clothing

also shipbuilding and washing machines and fridges

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Luigi Thirty posted:

corea is essentially corporate feudalism

yeah korean companies have weird corporate culture, very hierarchical and very top down. in the us-run companies i have worked for you might not make a best friend of a higher up by asking questions or challenging their reasoning but it's expected and it won't get you a lot of backlash and you'll at least get a handwaving explanation. in korean companies you get fired.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

duTrieux. posted:

american democracy has at its core the belief that all men are equal (notwithstanding our original sin)

that is partially why challenges to one's boss aren't grounds for immediate deployment to the on-site employee grinder

yeah when i worked at samsung they had koreans give us presentations about how their management selection process is searching for great men that can feed a city and that a good manager might feed a family and a few people who work for him and a great man will feed a city full of people and it was mega hosed up "kings are chosen by god to rule you" kinda thinking, imho.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FCKGW posted:

my city hall is between a gamestop and a nestle toll house cookie store

a true hellscape

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Sometimes I get Korean food in my burrito, other times, sushi.

Get the gently caress outta here with your bougie authentic burritos

kimchi cries and bulgogi tacos yessss

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's this place in philly that makes Ethiopian food cheesesteak and it owns.

Gojjo out on Baltimore Ave

ethiopian is good
i could eat timatim fitfit, tibs with injera, and kitfo all day long

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i spent 3 years in san diego (best diego) and i cannot find a good california burrito in the bay, it loving sucks

come on guys, california burrito, get it together

rice isn't wrong, but french fries are better. if you disagree with that statement i don't know what to tell you

what the gently caress is this bullshit

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Triglav posted:

actually fries in a burrito is okay. good even. perhaps great

potatoes go in breakfast tacos, anything else with tortilla and taters is verboten.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
breakfast tacos yesssss

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/dining/10united.html?referrer=

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Stringent posted:

what about fried yuca?

that sounds p good.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
dilbert burrito would do v well marketed to crazy ayn rand supporters and he-man woman haters clubs across america.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

he blamed kraft employees going to gas stations and covering them up with lunchables

lol what a shithead

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FCKGW posted:

here's an actual picture I found

doesn't quite show the awesomeness of it

we're building a real city hall next year though

holy poo poo are you for real what is the city????

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
omg it is eastvale you cant even see it from google streetview because the applebees is in the way

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Smythe posted:

my little doggy needs local organic. get bent, bitch!!

yeah i say the same thing when i go by the refrigerated dog food section at wholefoods when i am buying organic canned food for my cats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

gawker has actually had really good coverage of amazons awfulness for the last year or two

its impressive how badly they treat everyone, from the temp agency unfortunates who work in their warehouses all the way up to the engineers and managers who work in their corporate headquarters. its a culture of unrelenting abuse and extracting 110% from every worker before they burn out and are discarded

welcome to the future of american employment

yep sounds like retail

• Locked thread