Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Linux Linux Linux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
hasn't a bunch of places said the same thing? How's that working out

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

linux, linux, linux!

Syncopated posted:

Linux Linux Linux!

do not steal my posts.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Yep I said "I make X, I am expecting at least parity after adjusting for cost of living differences between Arkansas and Denver" and ended up with a 20% cash raise while I went from spending $850 on housing and $300 a month in gas to $500 on housing and $80 a month on a bus pass

did you tell your employer so they could adjust your wage

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

also lol at bringing pets to work

the class hamster poo poo only flies when you're in kindergarten

much like tiny people, ie everyone under 185 cm

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

This is not very good writing.

"Uber Inc. has unfairly come under attack after surge pricing took effect in Sydney, Australia during a terror attack Monday.

The attack, currently an ongoing siege at the time of writing, involved one or more gunmen and an unknown number of hostages (figures range from 13 through to 50) in a Sydney City coffee shop."

I may be stupid, but for a moment it seemed like the attack on Uber involved one or more gunmen.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm the countertop waifu unit
Text me

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

this whole article: http://www.wired.com/2014/12/jumpstartfund-hyperloop-elon-musk/

yeah, you've made great progress. you made some CGI renderings with stock character models and poo poo. oh, and read all 50 pages on elon musk's white paper.

startup logic. hey, if that silly company can get $1million, then surely i can get $10 billion. actually, another company has been making crappy CGI mock-ups of vac trains for years but got no funding. what gives? http://www.et3.com

“I have almost no doubt that once we are finished, once we know how we are going to build and it makes economical sense[, that we will get the funds,”

No loving poo poo.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Spime Wrangler posted:

evacuated tube transport for people is dumb for many reasons

the better tube technology is short to medium range pneumatic freight transport (like big versions of the pneumatic document tubes they use at the bank)

it's easy to build, easy to maintain, highly efficient, and cost effective

seriously you just put a bunch of standard reinforced concrete tubes end to end from point A to point B, hook up a big blower to one side, and start shoving capsules in. they can be aboveground or underground or whatever, and can be sized up to handle ISO-standard shipping containers. they're projected to reduce energy use (and emissions) per ton-mile by like 90+% over on-highway trucks.

Does this exist yet irl anywhere?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Uh, so Whttl doesn't have anything to do with whittling? Wtf

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Venice was ok to visit for a day or two, but I wouldn't stay longer. It's pretty cool to see though, they don't have any roads so all traffic is by boat. Including buses, taxis, ambulances, firefighters etc.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

prefect posted:

please tell me the ambulances and firefighters have motors on their boats instead of some guy with a stupid hat and a long stick

Lol yes. Also I recommend going to the dolomites if youre near Venice, the skiing was v good

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

always use exclamation points in all correspondence, so they know you're serious and enthusiastic.

this!!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

I dont really get all the hate of this picture, seems to me like it could be pretty good?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

You are disgusting.

it's some potato stuff and what looks sorta like chili? nothing wrong with that

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Sniep posted:

in this analogy, the pig's giant nuts are the plate, and

laughed out loud

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I worked at an amusement park

The nacho cheese starts out as (1, 2, 5)-gallon bags of alginate solution, a clear flavorless gel made from kelp with the consistency of snot

You manhandle this thing into the machine and a thing punches it open to spill out into a vat

Then you add a measured amount of orange milk solids powder and the machine stirs it for a while and heats it up: nacho cheese sauce

there is another machine where you put in the alginate and dump in vanilla flavored milk solids instead and the mixture is refrigerated: soft-serve ice cream

is it the same goo from the beginning? If so, that's loving awesome

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's even worse in steel. we make more steel in this region than ever before but the factories are incredibly automated now and operate with orders of magnitude less staff.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Thomson_Steel_Works

that mill has been in continuous operation since 1872 and used to be operated by over 10,000 men a shift. it's less than 500 now.

(also I'm the picture taken in the 1990s with a black and white filter applied)

by even worse you do mean even better, right?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Yahoo is selling Alibaba discuss

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

for $37,900 you can get a watch that automatically unlocks your aston martin

A jaeger lecoultre watch costs about that much anyways I believe

But yeah your point still stands

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Did Gandhi really pay rent when he was marching or whatever? I doubt it.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tulane in nola is the most expensive private college in the nation

Did you like it there

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
But can you drive for uber with a rental?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

an investigation at my work found like a few dozen people out of ten thousand were saying they worked hours but not getting any work done for weeks at a time. that's pretty good percentages really but lol try telling that to the republican congressman who sees his chance to slam government employees some more.

so because their supervisors were too lazy to properly document it and fire their asses all of us get a time sheet crackdown. not only do I have to fill out a time sheet each pay period but at the beginning of every single day I have to fill out how much I expect to work that day. any discrepancies between the two have to be answered for.

lol we are wasting tens of millions of dollars worth of employee and management time to save a few hundred thousand at the most assuming they actually fire the underperforming employees.

Are you a patent examiner

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Shaggar posted:

judge dredd makes sense as a prequel to blade runner where the invention of space travel causes a mass exodus from earth.

Uhh they have interplanetary travel in judge Dredd tho???

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

wait, what does happen to the accounts?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

at the date posted:

if it didn't people like me could just troll volvo drivers by tossing cardboard cutouts of Pittsburg Penguins goalkeeper Patrick Greiss into traffic, causing their brakes to lock and giving them whiplash/sending them through the windshield

buy American next time fuckerrrrrr

don't disparage chinese cars, they are teh future

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

fits my needs posted:

it is easy to do when you are bleeding the southern Euro countries dry. just economically now instead of militarily

bleeding them dry by selling them stuff

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

what the gently caress

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

wouldn't the correct unit be grade point units???

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

im not gonna bother to read the posts leading up to the one that tori got a week long probe for because lol at that one

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i learned it from promotional materials for Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun

I remember when the first Delta Force game came out, swedish PC Gamer wrote a lot about it being the first fps or whatever to use voxels.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I remember playing that and spending a bunch of time examining the terrain and foliage to see what the big deal was

weren't voxels gonna be THE next big thing in game engines for a year or two in the mid 90s?

Voxels were supposed to be better for the open terrain of Delta force, as opposed to polygons and closed corridors which I suppose Quake, Half-life and Unreal used

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

ha ha wow

is there anything uber does that isnt precisely calculated to rip everyone else involved off?

Its almost like theyre a company trying to make money

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

uninterrupted posted:

from a while back, but this was me. enjoying the move from Florida and funy computer job w tinderella

Wtf didn't a dude already respond to this and admit that it was him??

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

can you imagine being the civil engineer who spotted the trouble when they were pouring the 7th floor?

i can :getin:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Awia posted:

that probably exists

yes, its called airbnb

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Smythe posted:

frankly im shocked that the socially maladjusted wierdo who posted a pic of himself inside of a dog kennel online and continuously posts the most boring drivel with the most boring and fail authors voice was homeschooled

Only 50 % sure you're talking about him but someone with anal vore in their name is weird in some way? Shocking

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

i mean don't hate the playa, hate the game

Hate the sin love the sinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Since we're on food-chat, here is an article about how 1,4 billion chinese want to eat pork all the time, pretty interesting'

http://www.economist.com/news/christmas-specials/21636507-chinas-insatiable-appetite-pork-symbol-countrys-rise-it-also

• Locked thread