Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

D.N. Nation posted:

Why then did you lead the kid out in handcuffs? When, after all your hunting and pecking and searching and interrogating, it was still a clock?

According to the Irving PD's press release, for his own safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Schools today, confusing our kids...when I was their age, we all knew exactly what bombs and terrorists looked like.

majormonotone posted:

I mean, the main thing is that the police who arrested him didn't even seem to think it was a bomb - they didn't evacuate the school, they didn't call the bomb squad, they didn't get people as far away from the "bomb" as possible...they even brought the clock with them in their police car for gently caress's sake.

Right, they thought that it might be a "Hoax Bomb" under the law, because the teacher who confiscated it called them and was all "hey maybe this is a bomb?"

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.08 posted:

Sec. 46.08. HOAX BOMBS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:
(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or
(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

You might think that seems to mean they should have arrested the teacher, but again, they only handcuffed and detained the fourteen year old technical genius for his own protection.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Somehow the question has never occurred to me before today, but these guys are political cartoonists, right? A thing happens, they make cartoons about the thing...that totally counts, right?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

It was a clock.

I know wingnuts will always top themselves for idiocy, but this one's going to be especially difficult. Kid brings in clock. "Nuh uh, wasn't a clock, because Muslims evil." Wow.

I think that particular cartoon is just a standard "A Thing Happened, That Reminds Me, Obama is Bad and Weak."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

alnilam posted:

To chime in with an engineer perspective, just about every electrical engineering student ever builds a very similar looking clock to Ahmed's in the basic digital and integrated circuits class. It's an extremely good way to learn basic digital electronics, and it's probably the next project you do after building the awesomely named :aaaaa: infinite state machine :aaaaa:.

Arrest them all.

It used to be: literacy illegal for THOSE TYPES

Now its: THOSE TYPES bombing our schools

I'm so frightened for are country...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

When I first heard about Liberality, it was from a comic-reading friend delighted to tell m how it had enjoyed brief initial "mainstream" popularity from people thinking (reasonably imo) that it had to be satire, like the X-Presidents, or whatever Colbert's comic was called.

Interviews with the author soon put paid to that notion. I just wish he'd been clever enough to take a few more pages from Judge Dredd and have the (anti?) heroes of the comic be "liberal" as well. I don't see our country's left as an insane Thatcher-level nightmare, but it'd be a trip to see a good comic from that perspective.

Nyarai posted:

Curse you, Public Opinion. :argh:

Stunningly appropriate sentiment for this thread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Haha, he couldn't even stick to the pattern.

"Yeah! But then, kid punished for...uhh, well, I guess he was handcuffed and detained by police, that is a little different from just 'punishment'...shoot, how can I salvage this"

At least Barack awakes to save his chosen Musum brothers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

:aaa: He remembered to tell a joke!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What's the Japanese equivalent of a crying Lady Liberty?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Party Boat posted:

and then they hosed

Is that picture supposed to be Obama as Mao?

I didn't even notice that. So the joke is either that the Obamas are so communist (unlike dreamy Putin-senpai) that they have a picture of Mao in their home, or that Putin taking advantage of America's weak and puny president to install communism worldwide?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Good ol' Two Weeks Tinsely is slipping: it's been almost a month since Ahmed was arrested.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Is it just me, or are the spear and sword completely superfluous?

Racist!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

What a terrifying concept that the senior bush WAS the intelligent one after all.

It's weird, you can see videos from when W. was Governor of Texas where he seems pretty darn sharp. I mean, he was still a terrible person, but it's like seeing someone before and after a very mild stroke.

e: Extrapolating this to everything I remember of Jeb's time as Governor of Florida, he'd be the first president to need a live-in caregiver.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 17, 2015

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sephyr posted:

I guess it's one of those Conan Doyle things: you write ultimate skeptic smartasses in fiction (Sherlock Holmes, Dogbert) and start to believe your own hunches and ideas somehow clear the same standards.

As a white male software developer, I think it's a white male software developer thing. Adams used to be the best example of the phenomenon, though he has since been far surpassed by the creator of Soylent.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tinsley must have just overheard the "joke" somewhere and failed at stealing it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

vyelkin posted:

We have a problem in Canada though and that problem is complacency. People love to crow about how we're better than America at something and then ignore all the problems in that thing and never try to improve it.

I understood that to be the joke in the first panel of that Bors.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Until I saw the watermark, I thought the joke was that Gowdy looks like an loony head-collecting serial killer straight from central casting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

According to the holy scripture of Genesis the ark was about 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high.

The best apples-to-apples comparison is of course the Titanic, being also a boat. It was about twice as long, well over twice as high, a bit wider. Although it did have the structural advantage of being made of steel instead of gopher wood.

The Great Pyramid of Giza is about 450 feet high, and obviously mostly composed of solid rock, significantly out-massing every other contender. Although it was made by thousands of laborers instead of one guy's extended family.

The Hindenburg was about the same length, three times as big around and flew through the loving sky.

e: i taught sunday school ama

e2: Also, it's transparently disingenuous, the common category is not "big man-made things", or we'd talk about skyscrapers and bridges and aircraft carriers; it's "big man-made failures" (to a christian conservative egyptian culture "failed" and only ruins remain), as opposed to the ark which is famous for having worked.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 23, 2015

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

loquacius posted:

We're supposed to believe that instead of calling the State Dept hotline, Chris Stevens just hid under his desk sending emails to Hillary's private account with the subject line "PLZ HELP!!!!!!" over and over again 600 times?

Diear Mrs Clinton, i am Chris Stevens, attorney to the late George Clinton in my country of Libya, please contact me post haste regarding sizeable inheritance matters

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Here in the bay area I have heard "the Gaytriarchy" used to refer to the cis, white, well-off gay men that don't concern themselves much with any LGBT folks who are none of those things.

...oh! Maybe he's saving it from the Dragon of Diversity?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

System Metternich posted:

I wonder if there's a sexy illegal immigrant costume somewhere.

Well there are definitely "Sexy Bandito" costumes, and there are definitely people who wear them and introduce themselves as "Sexy Illegals."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Okay, wait, wait:

People actually expected this? Like, this whole spermjack gag has been foreshadowed? The sister of Zed's wife, who has a child with his Black Friend, has somehow behaved in a way which communicates to the savvy reader that she longs for an Even Realer Man, so badly that, as far as I can tell, she was in a car racing to the hospital in her nighty as soon she heard the word "concussion"?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

There is a third weakly liberal woman who is unrelated to waifu and sister that's married to black mouthpiece.

Ohh, so this is "Skye", who is not the same as the sister. Alright, so this is terrible, but not as mind-blowingly terrible as I first

quote:

Also the sister has already spermjacked blowjob russian.

OH COME ON

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Thank you for this quote. I had never heard of the story it's from (Faith of Our Fathers, for others who are interested), but it sounds like some definitive Dick.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SuperHappy posted:

So in the end, he acknowledges that the act of a woman raping a man for his sperm and then framing him for the rape is a bullshit fantasy dreamed up by loopy white guys. Nice work, Muir.

A...Good Day by Day?! :aaa:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Republicans posted:

No glasses for the lemonade, he just pours some right in the kid's mouths.

A missed opportunity for some red plastic cups, the ultimate symbol of the More Fun us Americans always seem to be having.

This cartoon comes out of nowhere for me. I feel like it could be of anything. "In America, children enjoy ice cream with an innocent smile, but in Britain everything is just awful!"

Mr. Squishy posted:

Do Americans hate trick or treating too?

Maybe my experience is just dated, but I don't see it. If you don't want to deal with handing out candy, it's easy to just turn your porch lights off, or leave out a jack-o-lantern full, or just plan to not be home. But some people really enjoy meeting kids in their costumes, and many more seem to love seeing pictures of kids in their costumes later. Also the majority of kids sure seem to love dressing up and getting candy.

Halloween is one of the big festivals of the American Civic Religion. As with Christmas, it's dedicated to a grinning, rotund, gift-giving god that embodies our collective aspirations of ostentatious wealth, lavishly given. The Thousand-Faced Fezziwig.

...Apparently I am the Halloween version of the War On Christmas people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

Every time I look at this my brain sees the "nazi propaganda" as a giant duck-man with a tall, bald head

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

If you asked Bradbury about it right after it was published, it was about the dangers of censorship (which makes a lot of sense, it was written in the McCarthy era), but if you asked him any time after that it was basically about "books good, television (and other random stuff like headphones and c-sections) bad". It's a perfect example for death of the author.

It could be worse: Aldous Huxley intended part of the dystopian horror of Brave New World to come from the idea that women in an gender-egalitarian society with unconditional access to birth control might be able to have or not have sex with whoever they wanted.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The first image is (of course) from 1915. The second image dates from the early 17th century.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Yeah, let's go back to the period of the 30 Years War. They had the right idea about religion. And now I'm mad at somebody who definitely died a long time ago.

Note that besides the book, the "thus of olde" items are literally implements of war.

In my day we had to crusade up-hill both ways, etc.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

There is no fighting the spiral. An Uzimaki Cartoonist

You may be on to something; check out the pattern on the drapes behind Obama.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ben Franklin posted:

For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...

I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.

Wow, that crazy kid needs to stop making all those bombs! Ha Ha Ha!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

What on earth is the significance of a "free lunch" of almonds and fudge?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Poe's Law dot jay peg.

I mean, I laughed at first, because I thought it was making fun of monomaniacal "Obama, He Bad" pundits who just have to disagree and score points on whatever completely inoffensive thing he's said. It could have been ”Obama condemns terrorism but REFUSES to use the MAGIC WORDS which means he is a COMMUNIST SYMPATHIZER COWARD who SMOKES."

Then I thought "Hope n Change...why does that sound familiar? :downs:"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I am in genuine awe that Ramirez went a level beyond "racist caricature" to "literal vermin".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Not the first time by any means:

I had forgotten this. My brain is trying to protect me from this thread.

I used to see Ramirez as an overrated dunce, a convenient stand-in for the worst excesses in political cartooning, like the Bors character come to life. But right now I find him too a little too chilling to laugh at.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

betaraywil posted:

Are we over the anal rape thing? Because when I looked at the first cartoon, I said to myself "nah, that can't be what he means by back door, this is just goons being goons and reading into things." But then there were anal cartoon ouchie stars and I'm really not over that.

I am not over the cartoon man raping his cartoon wife while it is explained that since she is a liberal and reads 50 Shades she secretly wants it no matter what she says.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jurgan posted:

"Leftists. It's all about the force" says a woman whose sister just confided she was raped by her conservative husband.

Yeah, see? She deserved it. We all do. Post hoc ergo propter rape.

e: sure can't wait for y'all to take this ethics in games vegetarianism talk to some other thread

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Forgive me if it was already posted, but here's yesterday's Pope

motherfucker is he reading this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I love this guy, he always seems so cheerful.

If Trump wins, maybe he can be our Thatcher and usher in an era of great nihilist outsider irony-comics.

• Locked thread