Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure that changing the battery won't do anything to your system memory, and nothing besides DSiWare is saved to system memory, anyways. The 3DS' internal storage is the same kind of stuff as a flash drive or SD Card, iirc. But all game and save data for 3DS software is stored on the SD Card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, if you have a large SD Card it can exacerbate that. My New 3DS has a 128GB micro SD and it takes a comparatively long time to boot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SeANMcBAY posted:

You’d probably be better off playing it semi-portably through the Wii U. The game looks like a lovely mess on 3DS. It’s impressive they got it to work as well as it did in the first place but not the ideal way to play it.
I own the 3DS version, and it doesn't look that bad. As mentioned, the game doesn't look all that great on Wii, and honestly aside from some screen real estate issues, the 3DS version doesn't look noticeably worse than the original. If I compared them side-by-side I'd probably be able to tell the difference, but without direct comparison they look pretty much the same.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

please recommend me good 3ds jrpg games thanks
Pretty much any Shin Megami Tensei game on the 3DS is good, although SMT4's difficulty curve is a bit wonky and Soul Hackers is a port of a Saturn game, with all the game design that comes from being a JRPG around the turn of the millennium.

Bravely Default is very fun to play, but the plot itself may wear thin after a while. Bravely Second supposedly fixes this, but it's a direct sequel to the first game and I haven't beaten it so I can't say for certain.

As for Dragon Quest, well... Eight is great. It has a neat if somewhat stereotypical plot, but most of the fun comes from the character interactions. Most of the cast is charming and fun, and those that aren't are supposed to be that way (there's literally a character named Prince Charmless). VII is one of my personal favorites, but it has a slow beginning and is one of the longest DQ games overall.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Shoulder buttons have been one of the long-term weak points on game boys since the advance,
Huh. I've had problems with the DS shoulder buttons (neither my DS nor my DS Lite's shoulder buttons lasted particularly long), but my GBA SP and both 3DS models are fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Aerofallosov posted:

... I was actually worried about my village ...
You can also back up any saves for digital games you've purchased through Data Management (iirc) in the Settings menu, just to be safe.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:confused:

I can tell you my USA DS Lite is not compatible with my USA 3DS charger, nor vice versa. The 3DS charging port is taller and thinner than the Lite's, which means neither charger fits in the other's port on the consoles. IIRC, the chargers for the DS and the Light are the same, too. Maybe it's the DSi that's compatible? I never owned one of those.

E: :ninja:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

A brief history of nonstandard and mutually-incompatible nintendo charging ports, until they finally got with the times and went USB-C.
Also, the GBA SP and their dumbass decision to make the headphone jack nonstandard, just as an additional gently caress you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heath posted:

You use the touchscreen to move your cursor around and aim and you can move mostly freely by using the left stick and L button. It's meant to be played with an included stand. It's pretty good, if very weird to actually play.
That sounds pretty rough for lefties; is there a left-handed control scheme?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So I ended up getting a new 2DS XL with Mario Kart 7 deal. Hilarious that the system transfer process is still this convoluted. And apparently the 2DS has no open contacts for cradle charging? And if you have a New 3DS XL, you have to have a screwdriver to remove the backplate to get at the microSD card? And it doesn't come with a charging cable?

Oh Nintendo, what goes through your tragic, broken brain sometimes.
Yeah, I wasn't too happy about the difficult-to-access mSD and no pack-in charger, but since I was upgrading from a basic 3DS, the latter didn't matter too much to me. You can also transfer files back and forth over Wi-Fi, but it's super slow and unreliable, so sometimes you need to open up the case anyways.

The charging cradle that came with my old 3DS was garbage, though, and it never really worked right, so I pretty much exclusively use the AC adapter to charge my 3DS. No cradle charging on new 2DS is no big loss, IMO.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, just the regular edition of Radiant Historia was GONE about a week after release. It's quite possibly the most expensive PAL game, given I've seen eBay listings for $100AUD+.

I really regret not buying a copy when I actually saw it on store shelves :negative:.
Yeah, Atlus games can be hell to find once their print runs have sold through, and Atlus doesn't really do re-runs on games. One advantage of buying digital is not having to worry about physical stock.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

An extra playable character and portability. It's a pretty good port. Sadly, they removed the orchestrated music that the US PS2 version had and replaced it with the lovely midis. You can always download to get the orchestration back in if you have custom firmware, but the hacks I found were also dumbly connected to retranslations, which are incompatible with the voice acting.
Two new characters and another post-game dungeon, IIRC. As well as the symbol encounters mentioned above.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gripweed posted:

I started playing Kirby Triple Deluxe. is that one of the good Kirbies?
From what I played, it's pretty good. Planet Robobot is better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gripweed posted:

damnit, I thought the whole point of Fire Emblem was you got to decide who marries who?

Zore posted:

And you only really get the full 'anyone can marry anyone!' stuff in Awakening and Fates, the 3DS games. Some earlier games in the series have limited ability to hook different people up, but not nearly to the same degree.
At least in Awakening, it was only your player avatar who could hook up with anyone (of the opposite gender, but the avatar can be either so if there's a character you really like, you can do that). You can only marry S-rank Supports, IIRC, of which characters other than the Avatar only had a few. For example, Chrom only has Sumia, Olivia, and like two or three others (notably, not with Cordelia, who actually has a crush on him in-game). Some characters didn't have S-Ranks with anyone (other than an opposite-gendered Avatar) and wouldn't be able to marry if they're not the one who ends up with the player, IIRC. Granted, that's still more choice than most previous FE games offered, but it's a far cry from "anyone with anyone".

Fates may have changed that up (I haven't played it and my only experience with its cast is Warriors), though.

Gripweed posted:

The only Fire Emblem game I played before this was Warriors, and my favorite characters were the purple haired lady on a dragon and the girl with a massive dress and a massive axe, so I think that Fates is probably the best
"Girl with a massive dress and massive axe" is probably Lissa, who is from Awakening, not Fates.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

All of them are probably easier to find and cheaper than their DS counterparts as well.
Especially if you're willing to buy digital. All of them are on the eShop.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gripweed posted:

Dragon Ball Fusions is a bad game. Which is a shame, I really wanted it to be good. I like JRPGs, I love Akira Toriyama art, a JRPG with art by Akira Toriyama should've been fantastic! What a wasted opportunity.
Both DQ games in English on the 3DS are good. Also, Attack of the Saiyans for DS is supposed to be a really good, if somewhat short, Dragon Ball JRPG.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zore posted:

Its better than the first one, Im liking it a lot so far.

First boss is a huge brick wall though.
Eh, that's not unusual for MegaTen games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Brick Shipment posted:

You guys don't make it easy :argh:

How are the hinges on both models? Hinges cracking and eventually failing completely is the usual way my clamshell nintendos go out.
I haven't had a problem with the hinges on either my old 3DS or my new one, and I've had hinges fail on both an OG DS and a Lite. But I can't really say anything about the 2DS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

They're more or less the same system, the 2DS is noticeably lighter, there's a cover over the game slot so it's won't get accidentally ejected in your purse, and you don't have to unscrew anything to change out the MicroSD card. That's basically it for differences. Just pick whichever one you think looks nicer.
Speaking of, a more accessible MicroSD slot is a strong incentive for me to pick up a new 2DS if my current system ever fails on me. I've ruined the backplate on mine unscrewing it to get at the MicroSD.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

One thing to note about SMT4: the first dungeon is absolutely brutal in difficulty. Before I started 4, I'd played 3, Strange Journey, both Devil Survivors, and Persona 3 & 4, and it still kicked my rear end ten ways to Tuesday. Personally, I'd recommend starting with Strange Journey (it was my introduction to the series) or one of the Devil Survivor games.

Soul Hackers is a good look into the older (pre-Nocturne) SMT games, but probably not a good starting point. Get your feet wet with one of the newer games first, then decide if you want to work backwards.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

fwiw SMTIV was literally my intro to the series and while the first dungeon was extremely “you’re going to learn to swim OR ELSE”, I enjoyed that aspect of it

I also liked that feeling in Fromsoft games so take that as you will, just don’t get frustrated if you die a lot because once it clicks you’ll be kicking rear end and taking names
Yeah, if you enjoy that kind of gameplay, absolutely go play SMT4 first. Just accept that you're probably going to die a surprising amount to random encounters featuring the literal weakest enemies in the game before you manage to even get a full party. :shrug:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fire Emblem Warriors :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I’ve read that it’s basically the hardest part of the whole game so I’m trying to just get through it, I mostly seem to just be getting unlucky rolls where things kill me in one or two hits or demons won’t join me without stealing all my HP. Or if I do get one to join it dies instantly to something it’s weak to

Guess I’ll just have to grind through until I’m somehow able to get three, should be doable if I save every time I get one

Seems like a bad introduction to the series but I’m gonna stick with it because I love whatever the gently caress is going on with a bunch of religious medieval peasants interpreting some sci fi tech as fairy magic, such a cool premise
A tip for negotiation; it seems to work better if you grant the demon one or two requests, then end negotiating. If you just give them everything they want, they seem more likely to take it and run. That's only true in this game and maybe Apocalypse, though.

Wark Say posted:

Also, the Japanese audio thing is (was?) only available if you had a hacked 3DS because I guess some fans had a similar bone to pick with the localization? It's been forever since I heard about it, though. But no, the normal SMT IV does not have the option to switch languages.
Undubs exist for anything voiced; there are people who decry anything in English because :japan:. Personally, I think most Atlus dubs are pretty good, but I'm fine with people having the option to choose.

Except Wild Arms Alter Code F, for some reason. That game originally had a dub track in Japanese, but Agetec removed it completely rather than dub the game. I guess they must have had Media Vision remove all calls for the dub track instead of inserting blank audio files or something. Figures that the one game I actually cared about an undub for doesn't have one, though.

Frog Act posted:

Oh word, does it matter if you choose to “wait in line” with him? I can’t afford his boat fee anyway
I think you can start a tab with him and he'll just show up and take it once you can afford the fee. If you die again before that it might be game over though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

Is my party always going to be Flynn and some demons? Should I be trying to recruit every type I run into like Pokémon?
Yes. You will always be depending on a party of Flynn + demons, so try to keep a good stock on hand. Also remember that fusion makes one demon out of two.

Frog Act posted:

Also is there like a good list of moves you should / shouldn’t learn from demons / characteristics of good demons? I saw somewhere it’s smart to have a healing demon around to save on revival stones and stuff
Depends on your stat build for Flynn, naturally. A high-Dex Flynn is going to want Phys and Gun abilities, and will have a few open slots for buffs/debuffs or healing as compared to a Magic Flynn who needs all of the magic elements, but will be getting more Press Turns from hitting weaknesses as opposed to being reliant on crits for them.

Also, Strength is apparently a trap. It only has a major effect on your sword damage, with Dex having a much greater effect on special attack and gun damage. Also also, your equipped weapon has no effect on special attack damage, period.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

drat, thanks dudes. I’ve been putting points into STR but it sounds like Dex/Magic is the way to go, for elemental attacks and physical ranged things. I hope I didn’t gently caress up by spending my first four levels of points kinda poorly

How does fusion work? Is it generally better to fuse demons and get a better one or to train up dudes from the very beginning?

I’m getting the sense it’s gonna take awhile to internalize the systems, I hope it isn’t mega easy to ruin your character wit bad decisions
Fortunately, between getting like 5 points per level to spend and the various stat-increasing incenses you'll find, it's hard to actually ruin your build. Four levels of points into Str isn't going to mess you up. You do generally want to pick either Dex or Ma and Ag on level up because hitting hard and going first is the name of the game here. If you're running a Phys build, throw some points into Luck for better crit rate. There's no defense stat, aside from resistances, so everyone's kinda a glass cannon.

You'll get introduced to fusion later, but the gist is that demons level up slowly, and take comparatively more exp to level the farther they are from their base level. You want to eventually fuse demons because they'll drop behind Flynn's level fairly quickly, although the right skill setup on a demon with good stats and resistances can punch above its level a bit. At most, you should be keeping demons long enough to learn all their skills and get that whisper chance, but if a demon doesn't have anything you really want, feel free to fuse it before then.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 26, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The beginning of the game is absolutely the most difficult part and the rest of the game is much more reasonable. This ended up causing SMT grognards to start whining that the game is "too easy", in fact.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

Does anyone remember how long the hard beginning is? I’m two hours in, learning about quest types in Naraku after leaving it once. Right now it’s like win one fight, save, a demon gets KOed next fight, close application and load game, beat one more demon and save, into infinity and it’s unfun
Difficulty should be leveling off fairly soon after the end of Naraku.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo Trucy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FF 4/5/6 got GBA remakes that are technically playable on the 3DS with tweaks, and 1/3/4 got DS remakes plus a 12 side game (and FFTA/FFTA2)

I think the FF team just dumped all their chickens into the current gen console basket after a certain point
1&2 got GBA remakes (on the same cart, as Dawn of Souls), and 1 got a PSP remake, but I don't recall a DS remake.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I could have sworn someone told me 4 Heros of Light was a 1 remake but I may have been hallucinating
It might have started out development that way, but from the little bit of it I've seen in an LP, it doesn't look like that's what the game is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don't think one is necessary unless you're scratching the hell out of the bottom screen. In that case, any one will do you just fine.
Yeah, I've had a 3DS since like August 2011 and I don't have any noticeable scratches on either screen. The clamshell design protects it when it's not in use, so unless you plan on dropping it a lot or really pressing hard on the screen with the stylus, you don't really need to get a screen protector.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

univbee posted:

GBA yes (you want something that can inject GBA ROMs into the Ambassador titles).

DS you'll want a flashcart for, they're $20 I think.
You actually can play DS games from the SD Card in the 3DS. I'm on my tablet right now so I can't post a link, but there's homebrew that allows exactly that. It's not compatible with all DS games yet, although I haven't had problems with any I've tried, and you may need a patch to bypass any antipiracy checks the game makes, but it's possible. A flashcart is easier, because afaik they're 100% compatible and shouldn't need any patches, but this could save you the $20.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Twilight Menu is just the frontend, IIRC. You need NDS Bootstrap Loader (also GBATemp) to actually be able to run the ROMs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So I just beat Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies today and was wondering if I should get any of the DLC cases?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

After playing 5 Ace Attorney games, I've come to the conclusion that because everyone in the series is such a large ham, people have lost (or never developed in the first place) the ability to read what we consider normal human body language or tone of voice. This is why Apollo needs special eyes and a pseudo science bracelet to tell when someone's getting twitchy and Athena needs magic ears and a computer to tell that someone sounds sad when they're not chewing the scenery. Bobby Fulbright in Dual Destinies isn't some superspy with no real emotions, he's just a normal guy; it's just that in Japanifornia nobody knows how to read you if you're not literally beating your head against the wall when you're angry.

Also the tendency of Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies to try to tone down the magic is kinda funny considering the first game has actual spirit mediums who change shape into the person they're channeling and Phoenix still has a magic amulet given to him by Maya that allows him to psychically detect lies.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's not that they're focusing on one character's abilities, it's that they try to make sure that Apollo's and Athena's abilities are given "reasonable" explanations, and that they're like "nobody would believe that a yokai committed the murder" when two cases in the original trilogy hinged on whether a spirit medium was channeling somebody when a murder was committed, and one case involved an old case where the police consulted a medium. And it's specifically the same judge who presided over those cases, too - he greets Phoenix like an old friend.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh they go right in the other direction for Spirit of Justice :v:.

You should go play Spirit of Justice.

Spellman posted:

They're not backing down on the Kurain stuff, trust me lolol
Yeah, I figured the game named "Spirit of Justice" whose plot premise was "Remember Maya? So do we!" wouldn't be keeping up that particular trend.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm still convinced the writers now deliberately set aside one case per game in the newer games to go "let's gently caress with the localization team and see if they can work around this".
Yeah, Nine-Tails Vale especially definitely seems like the writing team throwing down the gauntlet.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I see, this is what I'm in for.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Don't worry, I won't flounder. It may be a whale of a task, but I'll seahorse it through.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just popped onto my 3DS and sent a Friend Summon and updated data, so my stuff is now out there again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I forget what does what in Bravely Default, but there's Streetpass, what you get when you "Update Data" at the Adventurer (which is from internet randos who also picked Update Data), and 3DS friends, the last of which does use your system's Friend Code.

Mine is 1264-0166-6813.