Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's good on Netflix in terms of explicitly supernatural horror? I like creature features, cosmic / ancient evil, or someone's psychological scars represented as a literal monster better than ghosts or Christian-flavored demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Is The Babadook still streaming? If so, watch that.

Saw it right when it came out, I'm afraid.

veni veni veni posted:

Just watched Under the Shadow and thought it was a pretty rad supernatural horror. It's still in theaters/streaming rental but I guess they have a contract with Netflix so it should be available fairly soon.

Never even heard of Under the Shadow, though, so thanks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Is this in reference to the new season, because I'm watching it for the first time because I can't pass up the ultimate main streaming of found footage, but that does not sound promising (I'm like 2 episodes behind).

It's a hard show to defend to begin with, and even harder because the redeeming qualities of each season (if any) are completely different from the redeeming qualities of every other season.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: Nevermind, I got two recs mixed up. They Look Like People is excellent, though.

e2: actually no I was right the first time, a bunch of people suggested it in response to a request for explicitly supernatural horror when it very definitely is not. What the hell dudes, you don't have to trick me into watching a good movie. :mad:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 26, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Serious question for other people who love A Serious Man: if you are not Jewish, what the hell does it all mean to you? I have trouble imagining how non-Jews relate to the film. I mean, the story and characters and stuff definitely work on their own, for sure, but there's such a heavy layer of culture/folklore/theology over the whole thing... :confused: :jewish:

It was pitched to me as a retelling of The Book of Job, which I adore as a story despite being an atheist. That just made it even more disappointing when it came out like this:

Franchescanado posted:

I remember reading an analysis that Larry is facing karmic retribution for an unfulfilled life. That since he has been a "luke-warm" man in all aspects of his life, God or Fate or whatever is changing his life despite his attempts at comfort and contentment, forcing him to make a decision about who he is instead of letting him be stagnant.

... when as I see it, the whole point of Job is that he hasn't done anything wrong and that God's motives are inscrutable, that you have to decide for yourself if you're going to trust him despite the injustice of the world, and that claiming the world works according to karmic scales is blasphemous and hypocritical.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

that is a ridiculous amount of adjectives and words i cannot understand

"all the best bond villains are evil foreign / gay / radical versions of james bond and he wanna bang them, so instead he bangs them by proxy through their henchwomen"

with a little bit of

"this is probably bad for bond and will eventually result in him getting his dick lasered off, figuratively if not literally"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hihifellow posted:

edit: Just finished watching Spectral, echoing the thread's recommendation to watch it.

It's a fun concept but there's basically zero character development and very little personal conflict. Everyone has the same goals and the same motivations and they run into difficulties and either die or overcome them for 90+ minutes and then it ends.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In particular the war itself is eerily impersonal. I don't think you see a single living member of the insurgency or the old regime once in the entire movie, you just see the landmines (literal and figurative) they've left behind while the heroic American soldiers save the day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine Aliens only at the end Burke goes "gee Ripley, those xenomorphs really are too dangerous to use, good thing you were around to figure it out for us." It's really toothless from an anti-war / anti-imperialism standpoint despite making faint gestures in that direction.

The more I think about this movie the less I like it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I always want more character development in the movie about a scientist and a lady spy fighting aliens with a group of uber soldiers.

Sarcasm isn't really on point here when Aliens has plenty, and is the better film for it.

coyo7e posted:

As for why there's no enemy regime and insurgents, well, the weapons got out of control and killed almost everybody in the city

I'm not confused about what happened, dude, I'm talking about its significance in the story. It's a war movie where the enemy exists only in the form of the weapons they leave behind. That's not inherently a bad thing but it says something very different than one where the protagonists have to look them in the eye.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like, here's my takeaway from Spectral:

- There really were weapons of mass destruction.

- If the US hadn't intervened they would have overrun the city (and maybe the world?)

- The ghosts are literally "weaponized civilians" -- and the only way to deal with them is to put them out of their misery.

- War is hell that consumes everything indiscriminately.

- The above notwithstanding, we never see a soldier hurt another human being.

- If a technology has both noble and horrifying uses, the moral act is to bury it, because the latter will happen eventually.

Not all of these things are objectionable or wrong, but it dances around a lot of the real problems, and point #3 in particular is kind of grody.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also I found it really funny that engineer guy was totally okay with his device being used to destroy water sources, basically condemning people to die a horrible slow death, but using it to just zap people instantly was a bridge too far. To be fair he does realize at the end that you can't just trust people to use tools of destruction only the way you meant them to be used, but it's like a totally po-faced version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op2hRvUgcms

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I think you're kind of putting more into it than is there. They specifically mention that he was originally told the device was for ending sieges not just blasting up water sources and leaving people to die, and I don't think getting cooked alive with a microwave gun is a pleasant way to go and would in fact be a war crime.

You seem to want this movie to be some deep rumination on war when it's just an action film with some minor morality moments. It wasn't a great movie or anything, but some of stuff your condemning it for just seem kind of unfair.

I don't think it's unreasonable to judge a film for how it handles moral dilemmas that it explicitly raises, to the point of having characters say out loud what the morals are.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

4: I had to look up po-faced because it sounds racist as poo poo, but I don't see how a bunch of british dudes in a comedy sketch is less po-faced than you example so I see no point in the link at all except you like blackadder or whatever that show was.

It means "humorless" or "disapproving." It comes from slang for a toilet, possibly influenced/encouraged by the similarity to "poker-faced."

The comedy sketch is about a guy who invents horrible nightmare death machines in pursuit of a better checkout scanner at a grocery store. In the sketch, it's funny, because it's really obvious what his designs suggest to the viewer (horrible nightmare death machines) while his intentions are completely harmless. In the movie, you have a guy inventing weapons of war and expecting them not to be used to kill people, except they're not joking.

coyo7e posted:

5: I really have a lot of trouble equating this movie with, specifically, Aliens, except that there's a little girl who survives, and also the enemies are mostly non-visible and can kill you by touch.

A team of military operatives go in to find out what happened to a group lost contact. They're being hunted by an enemy they don't understand and which they repeatedly underestimate. Both are driven behind-the-scenes by groups who want to capture the enemy and use it as a weapon. The main character in each is someone with unique insight into how dangerous the enemy is and how foolish it would be to try to try to control it. Both are metaphors for asymmetrical wars that had a deeply negative effect on the collective American psyche.

They're incredibly similar apart from the attitude each film has towards the military-industrial complex; Aliens is very critical and doesn't waste any time indicating this. Spectral is still critical of it but the criticism is very wishy-washy and remote.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ripley's not the same kind of expert that whatshisface is but that's not really significant. She knows the xenomorphs are dangerous because she's been traumatized by them, engineer guy figures out what the ghosts are due to scientific knowledge and lack of preconceptions. Either way, their background gives them a better understanding of what they're dealing with than the people who can't wait to get their hands on it.

e: The little girl survivor is from Aliens.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On that note, what's something to watch that's cynical as hell but also fun. Something that's downright gleeful about the unrepentant horribleness going on.

The Wolf of Wall Street, The Guest, or Fallen (1998) would all be good examples.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

O & I just watched Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion which I think hits your mark too but not totally since I don't think it's particularly gleeful in its cynicism & also another one that probably isn't on streaming so another totally useless suggestion from globally beloved poster, "Hat Thoughts"

That plot synopsis sounds amazing so thank you for pointing me to it even if it isn't what I asked for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

K. Waste posted:

From Duck Till Dawn

The Ducktales reboot is taking a really strange direction.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I used to watch this back in the day. This is Colbert at the top of his game, slaying faces and giving no fucks.

It's depressing how much he's lost his edge since then, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Think The Addams Family movies , which has the same director, mixed with Roald Dahl.

well I just went from 0 to 60 on the show, thanks for that

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Die Hard On A _____ movies but starring a cool lady? Everly with Selma Hayek was gross.

Long Kiss Goodnight is the only "die hard, but lady protagonist"-like movie I can think of, and it's a big stretch that mostly relies on "Christmas" and "terrorists."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

(The Mist) There was a military base right there in that region. We still don't know whether the rest of the world was affected or not, just that in this particular area, humanity won out, for now.

Also the sudden turn to hopefulness and the thorough thrashing of suicidal pessimism is good either way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Whether it was intentional or not it doesn't fit at all with what actually happens in the movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Edminster posted:

legends of tomorrow season one is steaming garbage that i only watched for the romance between leonard snart and mick rory and now that snart is dead i have no reason to watch the show anymore

there's literally no way it sticks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Have you considered the possibility that you just don't like Superman

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Don't read that spoiler if you haven't read the comics. It's something that hasn't been mentioned in the show yet :(

In fairness it might not even be true in the show, they've made a point of carving out their own little space canon-wise. Or it might be "true" but only on the level of a wink-and-nod for dedicated comics nerds and not a real plot point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Erebus posted:

I had no idea Netflix was making an adaptation of Death Note, but.. it certainly is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE

hahaha that casting is perfect, everything about the kid they got for Light screams "douchebag"

and yeah, Adam Wingard means this should be an interesting ride

GonSmithe posted:

Directed by Adam Wingard (You're Next, The Guest) and starring Willem Dafoe as Ryuk.

stop, stop, i'm already sold on this project

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

And they're calling a notebook a "note" for some reason

on the other hand deliberately choosing to make their movie look and sound like a lovely dub is inspired in a roundabout way

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

LOL people still get pissy if their loving anime movie* doesn't strictly adhere to the source material?

*60 second teaser for an anime movie

if it were a good series that would be one thing. but it's Death Note

i'm approaching this the same way I approach Bryan Fuller adapting American Gods; the more liberties they take the better

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

God there was this movie about trains I wanted to keep telling people to watch. What the hell was it

Trainspotters? Murder on the Orient Express? Snowpiercer?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Snowpiercer was bad

actually, it was good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jessica Jones was better than Daredevil's S1. Not by a huge margin or anything but still.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Luke Cage was way better than DDs2

Daredevil Season 2 sucked rear end and Luke Cage had a few good performances so yeah I'm on board with that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

That's not this thread, that's the Internet.

No, it's just that people who thought something was just okay have the least reason to talk about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RUM HAM posted:

JJ is a loving private detective and couldn't think to wear certain everyday items you can practically pick up at any corner bodega to counteract her nemesis' stupid powers until the last episode (that dude's acting was corny as hell too), having somehow let him escape her literal capture numerous times before them. Not to mention the constant inconsistency on the scope of her powers and her wooden line delivery. Finally, all that buildup of her trying to use her brain to beat the bad guy and bring him to justice, then decides to snap his neck anyway - lol just lol at that cop out.

Show sucks balls.

"golly, why doesn't the protagonist of the show about learned helplessness use the best possible tactics at all times vs. the guy who terrifies the poo poo out of her"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

in fairness it is true that Kristen Ritter isn't much of an actress, and it's especially visible when she's playing opposite David Tennant

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay you've seen Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 right?

I haven't, but I only really know her from this and Veronica Mars so maybe goofy genre fiction just doesn't play to her strengths? I'll give it a shot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just finished this show and... gently caress, the ending basically loving destroyed me :qq:

Hop over to the manga for the last few chapters, there's more to the story. Or watch the OVA but the OVA is the manga ending + a bunch of weird new stuff that kind of sucks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it just gonna twist the knife or is it gonna make anything better? That ending seriously loving hurt. I just want Yuki and Yuno to be happy, god drat it! They have earned that a hundred goddamn times over! :smithicide:

It's gonna make it better, to the point where I would describe the theme of Mirai Nikki as "Love Conquers All, including physics, morality, and common sense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I didn't want to deal with that in fiction, as I deal with it too much in day to day life so I just didn't watch or comment on it.

That's totally legit.

For myself, I had a great time watching it both as something I don't experience hardly at all, and as something I could share with someone who does experience it and was happy to see it portrayed and addressed.