Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can't wait for the Apple watch. I've had this Microsoft band for like 3 months now and while the MS band is kinda poo poo I've found having notifications on my wrist is something I never knew I really wanted. I like being able to walk around the house and if someone calls or texts me I can see it. Also having a HR sensor is pretty awesome. I'm getting the watch day one if I can (I'm not camping out for that poo poo but I'll try and pre order it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Right. Do people really yearn to sleep with their watch on? I never understood the flip out reaction about nightly charging I guess. I'm not wearing a bulky watch to sleep. Not even a Rolex. May as well plop it on the Qi charger (360) as your head hits the pillow. The Apple watch will have a Qi charger, right? (zero interest in iOS, just curious)

It's a magnet charger.

Also if the watch had sleep tracking I'd like to wear it at night.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Karki posted:

Anything bigger than a displayless fitness band is probably not going to be comfortable to sleep in. If you want a smart watch and not a fitness band, just get one of these for sleep tracking.

Well I sleep with the Microsoft Band on now and it's no too bad. Honestly thinking about it more sleep tracking hasn't been too helpful for me because in the end I know I don't go to bed early enough which results in me sleeping like poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah my band completely replaced my watch.

I am 90% sure I'll be getting the apple watch at this point. I'm getting a little fed up with the band and I love the fitness tracking stuff it does.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fiki posted:

I had a MS Band from launch day for 4 months before I gave it up because the rubber started to tear away from the battery compartments and the screen part even though I didn't put it through much physical stuff.

Mine is doing the same thing.

Also what that guy said about not burning him is pretty much spot on. I've had lots of first generation Apple products and haven't been let down yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fiki posted:

The Microsoft Store I went to replaced it without hassle, it's covered under the warranty as a defect. I promptly took that warranty replacement and sold it for a nice profit.

I'm curious to see how the Apple Watch compares to my Fitbit in heart rate monitoring during exercise because of its form factor.

That's good to know I'll have to do that and sell it to fund the apple watch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going with the larger sport. I've been using a smart watch for about 6 months now and totally love how useful it is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haggins posted:

I think the killer app on this thing is the fitness tracking. Seems like it might blow away everything else out there.

Thats really the only reason I'm buying one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So many words trying to justify this thing. Yikes.

Yeah I know right? I like my reviews as short as possible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I bought a first gen iPad and had that thing for years before I finally upgraded. I also had the first gen iPhone and didn't have any serious issues with it.

I haven't had any issues with first gen apple hardware so I'll be buying the apple watch. We all know that the second gen will be better and the third gen will be even better than that.

I' guessing that we can't start pre-orders till 10am tomorrow? Does anyone know?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

App worked perfectly. The email says it won't be delivered for 4-6 weeks but that doesn't seem accurate.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A guy I work with ordered his sport black watch at 12:02 as soon as the app started working and got the April 24th date.

I ordered my sport black at 12:04 and got a May 13th date.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So drat it looks like my 12:03am order really won't ship till mid May.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got to play with the sport black the guy at work got and drat I'm jealous. I didn't spend much time with it but I love how it feels.

I'm also a little surprised how snappy everything feels. The UI seems very smooth and natural.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eltoozero posted:

Got the 42 Black SS Link Friday and the sport band tugs arm hair much worse than the link.

I haven't noticed any hair tugging with the sport band. Its possibly the most comfortable band I've worn in a long time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

Not that specifically, but a week in, mine suddenly stopped vibrating on notifications. A hard reset fixed it. Been running fine since. No idea what caused it.

I had that issue once. Resetting the watch did nothing but rebooting my phone fixed it. No idea how that works but I haven't had any other issues.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

japtor posted:

Don't forget to read the comments :laugh:

Oh good god why did I do that?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still love mine. It's a very handy little device that also tells time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Does anyone have a black Sport Watch? How is the finish holding up?

Mine is holding up great as well and I'm not gentle with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone here use the workout apps on their apple watch? If I log an activity through health kit, it gives me a ton of options to label it as, and ones I use like from weights, indoor cycling, racquetball, etc. but when I go to the workout app on the watch, it only gives me 7 options plus "other," and I can't figure out a way to edit the options.

I use the workout app every day but yeah I just log everything as other.

I wish it had other options like free weights or yoga. Hopefully it gets fixed eventually.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there really any reason to have the passcode on this drat thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

You need it if you want to use Apple Pay.

Oh right I forgot about that. My CU doesn't support it yet so I've never used it. Maybe one day I'll get to try that out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Gillman posted:

What app is this? I have been looking for something that will this

Yeah I'd be interested in this as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

I love the moko bands. I'm wearing a black sports band by them right now and it feels great

What do you like about their sports band vs the apple one?

Also I ordered their leather band just now. It looks pretty drat comfortable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One of the many things I really like about the watch is how easy it is to switch out the band. I really like how quickly I can change things up if I want.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

TIL that hard-pressing on the notification screen gives you an option to clear all notifications.

:aaaaa:

Now if only the texts would sync with the phone when you delete a thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It sure looks a lot like the one I got on Amazon for 19.99.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm ready to buy the watch but at this point I'm not really sure if I should wait for some kind of upcoming product announcement for aWatch2? I'm fairly happy with my Pebble Time Steel in the sense that it tells time, tells me the weather, and shows me my text messages, but with the weather turning I want something that will track more fitness.

I know there's no real way to be sure, but are we expecting some kind of watch refresh at WWDC'16?

We are close enough that I'd wait it out. I'd imagine if they are going to release a watch 2 we'd see it around WWDC time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I only grubhub.com with my watch on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Unity Gain posted:

Hard reboot the watch. Whenever mine gets squirrelly that always fixes it.

Or the phone. When that happens sometimes rebooting the phone fixes it too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess this can happen. Not mine but a friend sent me the video.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stutes posted:

I just had the same issue with the HR sensor on the back. Apple wants $199 for an out-of-warranty repair.

That's a load of horse poo poo for something like 30 days out of warranty. I'm surprised apple didn't just replace it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How many days out of warranty justifies an exception? It's a slippery slope.

Well it seems like something that is clearly a manufacturing defect.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Biodome posted:

Apple Watch and iPad are the only things that are even kinda worth getting AppleCare on. $49 to replace an iPad Pro, like $399 without it.

I didn't realize it was that cheap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

G-Shock owns though.

Yeah I loved my G-shock. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a reason why my Apple Watch never fills up the exercise ring when I select outdoor walk? I walked for 90 minutes and the ring didn't budge at all.
Yeah I've noticed it takes a long loving outdoor walk for it to fill up that ring.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some dude here said his bother surfs with his and hasn't had an issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Is there a thread for smart watches in general? I'm trying to find a decent one for tracking my exercise that has a long battery life

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459618

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The current model does everything I would expect a smart watch to do so yes.

Pretty much this. I don't have any reason to upgrade to the series 2. Maybe if I did some swimming or something but it looks like the Apple watch will survive another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get the 42.

• Locked thread