Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

"Don't touch that Bond. The Mk V power armour will cover the whole planet in Versace if you're not careful."

* Touches button. Is an arsehole. *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Endman posted:

Cross-post:

Just finished my Lord Commissar with Power Fist. This guy was a lot of fun to paint; these old metal models have a lot of character.

It must be a bitch to turn the page.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
This is not the first time I’ve heard this story but it never fails to amaze. It is the most Trad Games thing of all time.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Radioactive Toy posted:

Thanks! To be fair we were following a guide that kind of helped it be Paint by Numbers a bit. Looking forward to continuing with the other Gloomhaven classes.

Sorastro?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Finished a combat squad of five very yelly Assault Intercesors today.

The guy on the left isn’t yelly. He's lovely about the noise the other jerks are making. “Can’t we just cleanse the Xeno scourge quietly for once. By the Emperor”

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Also, if you're only looking for a few figures, check out Etsy. There are loads of cottage 3D printer services with licences to print individual minis from the many 3D sculptors out there. And they have a great search filter which lets you find what you want pretty quickly.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Adding to the YouTube channels, Richard Gray is a legendary Golden Demon winning painter.

He's started putting content online. There's not much but it's amazing.

He has a very relaxing way of describing what he's doing and the minimal paint he uses over black prime coats is just magical:

https://www.youtube.com/user/demonrich/videos

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

I've finished up a few plague marines for my Dusk Raiders force over the past week or so:

Every batch of these guys I push the grime and rust a little bit more, every time I hit a point about 75% through where I think I overdid it, and every time they end up looking great. Hooray for Nurgle!

These are great. Hooray for Nurgle!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
This is an old article, but I read the author's guide to DSLR miniature photography (from a similar vintage) and it was really good.

This is the phone camera guide:

https://taleofpainters.com/2015/02/tutorial-how-to-photograph-miniatures/

And this is the DSLR guide:

https://taleofpainters.com/2016/01/tutorial-beginners-guide-to-miniature/

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Something that doesn't seem to come up much is the difference in easy of use there. I've used my partner's DSLR for a few Warhammer photos, and it's a lot more time to have it up online. For most of my use of just snapping a photo when I finish painting, it's not worth the effort. I could see it being useful if I was doing something fancier than just shoving the photos here and a few other social networks. The DSLR gives me a lot more control over settings local focal depth. I'm sure I'll grab a lightbox at some point and take Nice Army Photos with it, but for now I'm mostly doing phone pictures.

DSLR process: Dig out camera, make sure battery's charged, take photo, take out SD card, upload to my PC, convert from RAW to something I can post elsewhere, shove the converted file on imgur, post here.
Phone process: My phone's already on me so pull it out of my pocket, take a photo, upload to imgur, post here.

For comparison, this two are DSLR

These are my phone's camera

There is definitely a mismatch in ease of use. But interestingly, in your examples the depth of focus is too short in the DSLR examples compared with your phone photos and the white balance looks off too!

I think the point of using a DSLR is that the photography is another part of the hobby. Not one I'm any good at (in line with the rest of my hobby skills), but it
is always interesting learning new things.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Without a macro lens or tripod taking up close shots with a large depth of field is tricky with a DSLR.

Not really. A shorter depth of field (lower f stop) is generally trickier. The guide I posted above is a great step by step covering all the manual settings for a dslr for miniatures photography.

And if you don’t have a tripod, you can still rest your camera on a soft bag. There are purpose made ones but I use a wheat pack. You line up the focus and the other settings, resting the camera on the bag and use the timer so that you don’t move the camera when you shoot.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Duncan’s paints got a mention About a dozen posts up.

It seems like he’s going to make some money! AUD450k already.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Good work! Progress is progress.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I watched a Squidmar video recently on his top tips to improve your painting. One of them was to paint fewer minis.

Don’t try to rush through an army. Work mini by mini. And improve.

I tried to batch paining and I got no joy from it. I don’t mind blocking in some elements in a batch, but I then return to each mini and complete them one by one.

Mind you. I’m slow and crap at painting!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
600 euros seems like a pretty safe bet for these duck warriors

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

galaxy brain: dress as a goblin and hold up the figure

While standing on a rock. Do it. Post pics, gobbo

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
When I started painting minis again ( after a 30 year break) I bought an army painter set that had 38 colors, five metallics and three washes. It’s been great. I don’t use all the paints though. At least not regularly.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

The last ganger for my starting Necromunda gang is finished! Just in time for the campaign starting this weekend.

Loved this project, and I still have a few more models to go but I'm going to turn my focus back to the terrain I've been building. My favorite of the group are probably the Queen (top center) and the Death Maiden (bottom left).

Your work is fantastic. I love the extreme contrasts.

But when I see these gangs, all I can think about is the amount of hair product they must go through. In the grim dark of the 40 th millennium there is only war. And hairspray.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

Two players armies at a GT I just did, ultramarines Gundams and Mario Kart themed Ork buggies:

The Gudamarines are cool. But those MariOrks loving rule. I hope they tore the marines to bite sized bits.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Where do you get these giant coins?

Also, amazing.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Wrr posted:

So I tried making some mini carrying cases using magnetized bases and magnetic sheets a la the Duncan Rhodes Video on making a case, and the magnetic sheets I got are hot garage. They can stick to a fridge but thats it. I can't even feel them with my magnetic implants.

Anyone tried out making a travel case like this before, or know of decent strong magnetic strips?

I followed his approach and it worked very well except that in Australia you can only get magnetised sheets by import and they are expensive.

The particular boxes he recommends are also expensive but I found some much cheaper ones at Bunnings, for Ausgoon reference.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

how dk i stop MDF bases from being warped by pva glue?

I’m not sure if it was mdf but I saw someone coat both sides of their board to prevent warping. Do one side, add weights. When it’s dry flip it over and repeat.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Eej posted:

Thinning my paints with my Jerrycan of mineral spirits

You don’t use a 44 gallon drum?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm mounted squires

These are fantastic.

But I refuse to believe you can paint eyes on 10mm dudes. I’m too scared to try even at 28 given my disasters so far.

Brilliant work.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Handy to have a bottle of brush on primer for when you have small sections like this.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I love the paint job too.

But my first thought was “Is that a plasma glow, or is the kill team about to cleanse the xeno filth from the dance floor?”

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Dr Intergalactic posted:

"you will mess these up, then you will buy more and mess those up less".

Thread title?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Finished up the exciting part of Grimaldus the other day. That banner was a bitch, but I tried a bunch of different things with it, and am pretty happy with how it turned out.

I love the unhealthy skin on the banner guy.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

lilljonas posted:

lol, just lol, if you've never cleaned your brushes by mistake in your drinking cup

Oh god, this. I now religiously keep the brush water on the right and the drinking water on the left. Too many mistakes.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
My necroman here is surrounded by a swirl of smoke/mystic fire, but I'm completely unsure how to paint it.

The rest of the model still needs to be highlighted, cleaned up, eyes hosed up and painted over several times before giving up, etc, but I'd like to have an idea about the smoke/fire.

Any goonpinions? Thanks.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I need a quick refresher, what's a good ratio of paint to water for base coats? 1:5? 1:10?

It depends on the paint down to the brand, and even the particular colour. But for brushing on with miniature paints, 1:1 is about right.

The general advice is mix a bit of water on a palette until you get a skim milk consistency. It's really then a matter of experiment and preference.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

This rules and I want to go check out some in depth pictures of it now

I loved this.

All of the painting is amazing. But I loved this.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
All of the above is correct, but if you want a gentler learning curve just start adding highlights after you wash.

Base coat, wash, dry brush if applicable, then highlights. Highlighting is the most important next step. Start with simple layers then add edge highlights, then blending, glazes, etc.

As you do that and get comfortable, you'll find at some point you want to experiment with adding shadows directly instead of washing.

Take it at your own pace to avoid discouragement, is my advice.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm Bretonnian Knights

Are the barding and banners freehand? Because loving hell, that's amazing

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Bonus photo that makes me feel good about myself for a casual

This is excellent. Pushing highlights (and shadows) as far as you can is so important. I tend to leave them too shallow and have to push myself to go another shade or two.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

OK this is a very dumb question but until now I've bought exclusively MSP paints (in dropper bottles) and drop a few drops into my pallette plus some flow improver (about 3:2 paint to FI)

Bought my first pot of citadel paint because the purple was exactly what I wanted, but like?

do I pour it out into the palette? seems messy?

am I meant to dip my brush in the undercap ? then it's not thinned.

not sure how to proceed, please advise as Nebula is naked currently

I have exactly one Citadel paint: blood for the blood god. I wanted a simple gore paint for some ghouls and it does that well.

Except the loving bottle is a nightmare. It’s as if it was designed to be difficult to use, hard to close and easy to waste. Surely not GW.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lumpy posted:

We'll forgive you if you take notes on how he shoots them and post. :v:

Yes please

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Wondermoose posted:

I haven't posted in a long time, but the new Eldar Codex got me excited to get some of my older models out and give them a quick paint job.

I put these models together when I was like fifteen, and didn't even know what a mold line was.
Also after over sixteen years of trying, I have finally painted some gems that I don't think look horrible.

That Farseer was still primed in gesso when I pulled him out of the shoe box; for any of you guys that have been around long enough to remember when that was 'the thing' to do.

That is a great colour scheme, fellow painter of gessos past

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I so badly want the megapaint set but I need to move my pots to droppers to make room on my shelf to justify it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

Painted a loonboss

Rock buddies!

I love everything about these gobbos. The sculpts, the colour scheme and the superb paint job.

They remind me of pre-schoolers on way too much sugar.