Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

Lots and lots of samurai.

What rules do you use with these? I'm considering getting into 6mm samurai warfare, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out where I can get a rule set that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

E: give me a shoutout if you go for it and need any terrain, and I'll give you a goon deal

http://muraminiatures.com/

Well, now you've pretty much forced me to buy a bunch of tiny, tiny soldiers. I'll PM you when I've looked through everything.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I painted two minis, and rediscovered how much more enjoyable it is to paint a single mini that it is to crank out 15 identical ones. I tried two color blending for the first time ever, and I'm pretty pleased with the result.
I also finally really tried out my homemade gold colors. I'd say they look pretty good.

I'm still pretty new at this so any critique, suggestions or comments are very welcome.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there an easy way to mix metallic paints like silver with another color, say a nice blue, to get metallic blue? Or would it be better to find specific blue metallic paint? I don't have much practice with mixing.

Vallejo has a metallic medium, but I don't know how good it is. Alternatively you could get some aluminium powder and mix it into the paint. I have done it like that and it works pretty well.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I like painting eyes this way: http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/12. You pretty much just paint the eyes before the rest of the face so you don't have to fight the shakes.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I want to add some snow to my Frostgrave bases, but I just can't find any Woodland Scenics anywhere around here. What's the best alternative? I could probably get some Noch snow from one of the local model train stores, but I don't know if it's any good.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I use Gale Force Nine's snow, which you can usually find at a hobby shop, but it's basically repackaged Woodland Scenics stuff for more money. Have you tried any crafts stores like Michael's? There's a chance they'd have Woodland Scenics stuff in their modelmaking sections. Their website at least shows bags of grass and stands of trees and stuff.

I should probably have said that I'm in Denmark. We only have one chain of hobby shops and it's no good. But I can get Gale Force Nine stuff, so I'll go for that. Thanks.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the oath thread.

Electric Hobo posted:

With a slightly harder light:

I'm pretty happy with this guy, but it was a bitch to photograph since the light from my lamp screws up the painted light a bit..

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Big rear end basing post.
You varnish over static grass? I've always been told that's a bad idea. Is it just a quick airbrushing?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Hell, I paint right over static grass on my ebay rescues. Why would varnishing static grass be a bad thing?

Don't know. People have just told me that it looks like poo poo. It's good to know that I can do paint it however I want with no problem.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I've never heard this or had trouble with it. As with most painting things, if you use thin layers and thin your varnish you shouldn't have problems. I spray my varnish through an airbrush though so maybe that's a factor?

I airbrush my varnish too. I've just always placed the grass after I varnished since I didn't want to mess anything up.
Granted, the people who said never to varnish your grass aren't even close to the level of skill and experience that's in this thread, so they were just dead wrong.
At least I know better now :toot:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

I'm working on some of my first Chaos dudes! So far I'm having a good time painting and am fairly satisfied with what's coming along but would love a little help.

http://imgur.com/a/K3BeK

Here are my current WIPs. I just noticed some lines that need cleaning on my Aspiring Champion there and I know I need to try drybrushing to highlight. I'm still a little confused as to what colors I should be using to highlight. Are there any other things I'm missing or need to focus on as I practice and improve? I'm having some trouble with the detail work, like the little insignias on their shoulder pads. Are there any tricks for those?

It's a bit hard to see what's going on in the photos. Next time, keep your lamp in front of the figures so we can see what's going on.
That said, they look a little flat, so give them a wash and marvel at your sudden talent. I'd use a dark brown for the red and a lighter brown for any bone.
Bone is highlighted by mixing in some white, red is highlighter with a purer red or a reddish orange. Don't highlight with red mixed with white unless you want a pinkish look.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes glue a small piece of wire onto the tiny annoying part, then drill the bigger part so I can use the wire as a guide.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Hello painting nerds I have a new painter style Q for you:

I am painting some models in monochrome, to make them look like black chess pieces. I bought Reaper's line of uncolored greys (not dark dark blue or green), which have remarkably generic names, but I believe goes

Pure Black -> Stormy Grey -> Cloudy Grey -> Misty Grey -> Pure White

as well as Black Wash and Black Ink, two products which I am not 100% how to tell apart.

My progress has gone like this:
-Prime with matte grey spray primer
-A couple layers of watered down black
-A black wash

Next I painted all the areas visible while looking at the model from a 45 degree angle 1:1 Pure Black/Stormy Grey. This went alright. Then I looked straight down and hit all the areas I could see with a layer if pure Storm Grey, and intended to follow that up with some very light dry brushing of 1:1 Storm Grey/Cloud Grey, but I've hit a snag. My paint has visible brush marks! I watered all of my paints about 1:3 water/paint, because any more than that and the paint seeped into the recesses and ruined the shading.

Should I water more, and plan on washing the whole thing an additional time to shade the recesses? Should I have done an additional layer of like 1:3 Pure Black/Storm Grey before the pure Storm Grey? Is there some other trick to prevent brush marks?

This hobby is so expensive it's stressful when I worry about ruining a model. These are just my test models and I'm still stressed out :(

Show us a couple of pictures so we can see what's going on.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I ork'ed Marauder'ed over in the oath thread.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Im in denmark, so I can easily get AP sprays. Testors is also available, never heard of Halfords.

Where do they have Testors in Denmark? I've never seen it around here.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Show-fow.dk only place I know of that carries it.

Thanks!
Who the gently caress closes their online store because they're counting all their stuff? Don't they know how a webshop works?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

The Dark Project posted:

Is there still an Oath thread going on? I don't see it in TG. But I could also be blind so...

Right here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3717315

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I make agitators whenever I have some green stuff left over. I figure those won't mess with the paint.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
What's the fastest way to get superglue off of Mantic's restic figures without dissolving them or killing me in the process? Will denatured alcohol do the trick?
I bought a used copy of Dreadball and there's just so much glue everywhere :(

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot about the freezer trick. I'll give it a try and then try with acetone if the large blobs doesn't come off.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Another glue removal question: is it possible to dissolve plastic glue that hasn't bonded to anything? It's slathered all over the Mantic restic that I mentioned before so it isn't stuck to the models.
I also need to remove some huge blobs from a bunch of clear plastic bases, but the glue has bonded to them. Am I better off just throwing them away and buying some new ones?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's what I thought :( Sometimes I hate buying second hand stuff.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
What's up with Prodos' models? I cleaned up a few Warzone Resurrection models as usual, but the primer just beads right off of them like on a Bones model. Are they made of some weird material?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I washed them in warm soap water, then cleaned them with cold, clear water. They say on the official forum that you don't need to wash the models because of their 'special' release agent, but there's no way that isn't bullshit.
It's about 25c where I work today, the sun heats the place up like crazy, so that's not the problem. Vallejo's airbrush primer didn't work even if I didn't dilute it at all, so I had to use some of their thick dropper bottle primer, and it still wanted to bead up even with a 5:1 primer-water ratio.
Guess I'll try a couple of other figures to see if they're any better.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know a good tutorial for painting pale, greyish skin? I have trouble enough getting regular skin to look good, but this is just killing me.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the oath thread. I have to say that I'm really pleased with how this guy turned out.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!
First 4 photos are linked to the stupidly huge version.

I need to make a bigger lightbox, and just now I noticed the cat hair across his left arm :(

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
There's a pretty good guide for glazes here: http://youngwolf7.com/?page_id=1448
The guy uses 1:12 paint to medium for his favorite mix, so you need a lot more medium.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the oath thread:

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!
The photos of the marble are linked to a big version.

The marble looks pretty good, if I do say so myself, but mostly if you're 5cm away. At normal viewing distance it becomes a muddy blur, so I guess I'll save it for display pieces if I ever do something like that.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to make scale appropriate marble, since I usually think that the pattern in the kind of marble that that guy is painting is too big for the scale. But I'll say that the more 'coarse' pattern works better, simply because you can see what it's supposed to be at a glance. I guess I'll try to find a happy medium between the two.

Edit: The way he makes it is the same way I've done it when restoring really old stuff, right down to the brush and pattern size. That's probably why I consider it too big for 28mm models; It's real human sized.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 15, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Something that might be useful for people on a budget who still want some of that sweet, sweet airbrush priming and varnishing.
When I started painting I primed with a cheap crap airbrush, a pressure regulator from ebay, and one of these guys, modified as an air supply:

Pump it up, prime 4 models, pump it up again. Worked great for a year, for next to no money. Then I bought a compressor and I haven't looked back.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok guys, this is my 4th or 5th real attempt at painting a mini since I picked the hobby back up a year or so ago. Please give me some feedback on what I did wrong here and what I can improve on. Thanks!

I'd say it doesn't look bad, but It's hard to see anything. Put a lamp in front of it, a piece of paper behind it and take another photo so we can see what's going on.
Is the gloopiness at the bottom of the axehead a casting error? You should thin you metals more if it isn't.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Just unpacked my Scale 75 gold color set and found this undocumented color.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

That's going to be the spanish label for it.

Nope!

They call it Necro Gold everywhere except on the label.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Does anyone have a guide to brush care? My brushes last for a very short time, which makes me reluctant to buy good ones.

The OP has you covered. Just go to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post442594505 and scroll up to get right to it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath thread cross post. These models are pretty fun to paint.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

The normal colours I've used (not many) are better than the metallics, which are thin and separate like crazy.

KPC_Mammon posted:

This is true. I have to mix whatever is on my palette whenever I load up my brush.

Weird. Mine don't separate on my palette at all. They really need a black/brown undercoat if you want them to cover properly though.
It's good paint IMO, the gold set has pretty much replaced Vallejo's Liquid Gold for me.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I finally made a wet palette after procrastinating for a year. Turns out I'm an idiot and should have made one long ago. It's just so drat nice to work with.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Is there a go-to method for protecting minis that you expect to be knocked around a lot? I want to paint some board game miniatures but I don't have room in the box for foam and gently caress getting battlefoam or whatever. Like is there a sealer that's stronger than the rest?
I just use Vallejo gloss varnish, then Liquitex matte. The only reason I use Liquitex is that it's very matte compared to the Vallejo varnishes I've tried.
Most boardgame plastics are so soft and light that they cant hurt each other's paintjob at all. I had the figures in my Battlelore 2. edition stuffed into bags and nothing happened at all.
I'm a little more careful with the harder stuff from CMoN and such, but the figures aren't the real problem, the giant stack of cards and cardboard that smashes around the box is. Just make sure that can't happen and you'll be fine.

That said, I'm going for individual boxes line with foam washcloths for each clan with my Blood Rage. I'm a terrible hypocrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

So I'm considering getting some Vallejo liquid metals because I heard they were really smooth and I might try some of that nice European style metallic painting over NMM for once. What are the tips and tricks for working with them and can I still paint with normal acrylics over the alcohol based paint?
Shake them until there's next to no solids left in the bottom of the pot, then put what you need on your palette. Do not get any water in them. Seriously, even a damp brush can make the paint rust. Thin them with at least 96% alcohol for the same reason.
Any paint that gets in the wrong place can easily be removed with a bit of alcohol, but the alcohol will strip your acrylics, so varnish before you paint.
There's no alcohol left when the paint is completely dry, so you can varnish or paint over them. But varnish will kill the lustre, so you might want to do a final highlight after any varnish.

At this point I honestly prefer Scale 75's metals for the convienience and great result they give. Bit Vallejo's are great, they just take a bit getting used to.