Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I liked tanks, then I didn't like tanks.

Hopefully I will like boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Prav posted:

Getting your destroyer spotted because someone had to take a pot-shot at some random fighter is a shame though.

Would be a rather lovely pilot if they didn't spot a ship before being in range of AA anyway.

e:

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 13, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Prav posted:

Destroyers with 127 mm DP guns have longer base AA range than air detection range.

Guess that means WoWS pilots are rather lovely then.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Tindahbawx posted:

There no way of currently getting access to this is there?

You can still apply for the US beta, but there's a wait time.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Navy_losses_in_World_War_II

Came across this page listing the causes of US Navy losses.

Submarines
Tang, Formosa Strait, 25 October 1944, Sunk by own torpedo
Tullibee, Off Palau I., 26 March 1944, Sunk by own torpedo

Minesweepers
Crow, Puget Sound, 23 August 1943, Sunk accidentally by torpedo

quote:

The first ship to be named Crow by the Navy, she was in service attached to the 13th Naval District from 4 February 1941 to 23 August 1943 when she was sunk in Puget Sound by accident while acting as target towing ship for torpedo planes undergoing training.
Wasmuth, Aleutian Islands, 29 December 1942, Sunk accidentally by her own depth charges

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Vengarr posted:

This was actually an IJN design thing, especially on destroyers. They figured that in fleet actions, their DDs would cruise silently into torpedo range, turn away, launch all their torps, and then zoom away as fast as possible while firing their guns. Since the bow guns would never be fired in this scenario, they decided to put most of their guns in the rear.

Did it actually work?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

TheFluff posted:

Another gunnery mechanics observation: shots don't really seem to converge towards the center of the recticle. If you're in a Fuso and fire a broadside at something heading directly towards or away from you, you'll hit maybe one or two shots, the rest will fall to either side of the target because the shot grouping mirrors your turret placement (so don't do that). That's also one of the reasons why it's so hard to hit a destroyer with battleship guns; the ship is so small that it fits in between your turrets.

Also, I have five closed beta invite codes to hand out but they're US server only. I'll reserve one for apseudonym because he's a cool guy I used to play Wargame with, but for the rest of the four send me a PM or make a post or something and first come first serve?

I'd like one. [redacted]

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 23, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

TheFluff posted:

Sorry, all gone already. :(

Ok thanks. Edit the quote please.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

TheFluff posted:

This discussion made me find this Wikipedia article, which is pretty drat interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_discussion_of_rangekeeping
e: also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangekeeper

Also, the stereoscopic rangefinders on many ships in the game actually turn to track your turrets. Pretty neat.

These old Fire Control computer videos are worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8aH-M3PzM0

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The best Swedish warship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_%28ship%29

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Asehujiko posted:

What are people doing to get those bundles of keys/? Is there anything me and other goons can help out with getting more people in?

By nerding it up in Swedish national archives. :v:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Cardiac posted:

Didn't US blow up a lot of WWII battle ships (both US and Japanese) during their nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean?
And if so, do we know the effect of an atom bomb on a battleship?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The treaty also meant a lot of WW1 ships were rebuilt instead of new designs turning up.

Some post world war 1 designs were changed to aircraft carriers after the treaty.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

El_Molestadore posted:

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/open-beta-announcement/

Guessing OBT on Friday :)

You up for some poopsocking Magni?

A days warning would have been nice. :argh:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

NTRabbit posted:

Click ahead of red boats

Torp blue boats.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Why the Atago and not Takao? Or is it just wargaming being wargaming?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Patch downtime been extended a couple hours.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Another 2 hour downtime extension. New eta is 2 pm et. :psyboom:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Another downtime delay.

quote:

We apologize for the delay. Server downtime has been extended to 12:00 PT (15:00 ET).

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Time to check your comp for malware. :v:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
What guidelines do people use for switching between AP & HE now?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

El Scotch posted:

I managed to get a perfect torp run this morning and hit 5/6.

Sadly, it was on a teammate. :smith:

Always torp blues.

Panfilo posted:

What level do you have to be to 'grow out' of playing co op matches?

The first coop battle should give enough experience. Check your profile > service record for your account level.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do sort of wish that the US and Japan had an alternate DD line that focused on anti-air-focused fits. No torpedoes, just a shitload of varying-sized AAA, including the main batteries. Sail them along with battleship formations, or hang back and screen for the carriers as well as provide anti-DD support with direct fire.

Add the Wyoming as a premium after it was converted to an AA training ship.

quote:

Over the course of the war, Wyoming trained an estimated 35,000 gunners on seven different types of guns: 5-inch, 3-inch, 1.1-inch, 40-millimeter, and 20-millimeter weapons. Due to her extensive use as a gunnery training ship, she claimed the distinction of firing more ammunition than any other ship in the fleet during the war.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I refer to being rudder damaged in this game while fully-chocked to one side or the other while on a repair cooldown as being 'Bismarcked.'

Any Yamato that beaches itself can claim the Hotel has been successfully deployed.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

OSad posted:

The stock Nagato's not treating me well. The 410 mm guns that supposedly pack a bigger punch for some reason have trouble penetrating the same shots the Fuso could at 20km out a tier lower. And I'm having trouble getting into a decent range since anything past 10 kilometers causes the entire enemy flank to aggro on me, and this ship really can't take a hit at all stock, not even at extreme angles. I find myself losing almost all my health to a couple of unlucky citadel pens from Wyomings of all things.

I really do hope the second hull's better, especially since you have to spend nearly the same amount of experience researching it as you do the Fuso.

It should improve with hull upgrades. The Nagato was a 1910s Dreadnought that was modernized in the 30s.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Also US BBs are sloths until T8.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

SquadronROE posted:

So are the USSR ships worth buying? The Murmansk has a shitload of guns, plus some decent torp mounts.

It's an Omaha with longer range torps. Go for it if that sounds good.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So yeah, the Murmansk is worth it. Very worth it.

Russian bias. :v:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Just had a Phoenix try and torp my SC while not even firing its guns. :allears:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Squido posted:

I've only just unlocked the Phoenix but it doesn't seem quiet as ridiculous.

The stock Phoenix is garbage. It doesn't get good until you have the hull and gun upgrades, then you weave around spraying death.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Jack_tripper posted:

I am reasonably competent in destroyers but hadn't had a really massive game until just now even though it was marred by a worthless shitter

I head to the islands in the beginning, dodge their isokaze's torps and kill him, then get torped in the back by our wickes losing 5k hp. poo poo happens, I'm not mad. I make another pass wiping out a phoenix and retreat to set back up when I'm surrounded by torps coming from the other direction from the same loving wickes. I have to run aground to dodge them, then back out and stick 2 right in his side. it was still a pretty good game but would have been better if I hadn't been fined 47k for defending myself; notice he was fined less than 3000 credits for taking half my health

You only get paid a fraction of his fine.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

OSad posted:

I felt sorry for the enemy team at that point. I thought the Kongo was supposed to be a Battlecruiser, which is big guns not so big armor, but she makes a complete mockery out of tier 5 matchups. But either way, couldn't have done it without my arsonist Omaha.

The Kongo was rebuilt as a fast battleship in the 30s.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
They should add the Mutsu as a premium. Give it a 10% chance of detonating at battle start.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Hell of a way to kill yourself. If it was a suicide that's gotta be close to if not the record for number of people killed.

edit: Kamikaze attacks don't count.

The theory of a fire next to the magazine is the more likely cause.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Zo posted:

Does your commander only have a total of 10 skill points at max level? If so I'm gonna save for concealment on my DD commander.

19, but 15 points are used getting a level 5 skill.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Insert name here posted:

Anyone have an Ishizuchi? I was curious how it is. I don't really care about its money making ability or whatever but it's relatively cheap and was wondering if it's worth picking up for fun times.

I don't have a Kongo, but I assume she's similar. Just shorter range, smaller guns, & probably lighter armor.

That middle turret doesn't get much use unless moving away from the target though.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Night10194 posted:

Ah. Any word on when it'll be generally available?

Current plan is to run the Euro test server until the 15th. That could change though.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

grrarg posted:

The increased range is worth giving up one gun per side, and if you are close enough to use the Omaha torps, you are too close to take advantage of its dancing ability.

I wonder if they are going to give out Cincinnati or Marblehead codes at PAX like the Triplitz codes at Gamescom. Those will be decent premiums now, though still slightly worse than Murmansk with its better AA and 8km torps.

I thought the Cincinnati & Marblehead both had the stock Omaha hull?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Love the T5 IJN cruiser dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Raged posted:

#BlackLivesMatters is a loving gold mine.

Had one guy who kept ranting and not paying attention and i got to torp salvo him as the first kill of the match.

He then proceeded to call me a friend of the family and a jew through the whole match drat match. Someone called him a Nazi and he said he was and hitler should have killed all blacks. If im not mistaken Wg hates Nazis. Felt real good reporting him.

You're mistaken, WG (NA) loves Nazis. :mad: