Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

Theoretically here, that means medpistol, akimbo 500s, deagles, 1911s.

1+6+4+3 = 14

I LIKE IT.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but akimbo 1911s are 4 weight, not 3. All the Gunslinger weapons are 2/4 for single/akimbo, with the exception of the 500s which are 3/6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

1+4+4+6 = 15

now you're gonna tell me medpistol is 2 weight, aren't you
Actually I forgot that the 9mm doesn't have a weight of 1 like in KF1 so I thought the max effective weight was 14.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Abandoned Toaster posted:

7.99 for 4 skins versus 9.96 for 4 keys. So yeah, more expensive, but I'm with you. I didn't buy any of the KF1 skins and as long as KF2 keeps the crate items purely cosmetic I won't care.

Unless they start putting special characters in the crates and one of them happens to be my Chicken Terminator. :mad:
A lot of the earlier DLCs for KF1 used to be $3.99 (for the aforementioned 4 skins) but at some point after they started releasing newer DLCs for $7.99 they went back and hiked the price up for the older ones, which is pretty lovely.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

C4 is awful in terms of dosh/effectiveness (in a class already having problems with that) until you level up and get enough of the +ammo perk bonuses, which I think come every 5 levels so uh, demo level 20-25. Enjoy that. (actually enjoy RPG + deagles)

Once you get enough capacity to carry more C4 due to that perk bonus it becomes more cost-effective to just sell your C4 completely and rebuy it entirely at each trader pod than to use the restock function. I think you top out at 8?
I know the current hotness is to bitch about Hans but man loving :laffo: at the pitiful state that Demo is currently in (and has been in since it came out). I enjoy that like half the advice for playing demo is literally "don't play demo on wave X" and "buy a gunslinger weapon instead until you get the RPG".

I just wanna M79 some Zeds mang

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Glad Tripwire's priorities appear to be in order.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

I think it's not a binary between perks vs modes/mutators so much as it is "fix your poo poo, Tripwire" before either of those
Yeah like, I liked objective mode from KF1 and want to see it return but people have been clamouring for a demo rebalance since it hit and it's been months and the only thing that has happened is... demo nerfs.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

quote:

M4
Capacity increased to 72 (from 48)
Starting increased to 32 (from 24)
Cost per mag increased to 47 (from 40)
Oh good they finally made it so the 1014 has more max ammo than the pump action.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

That's why you have to actually dig in and check how much it really does against enemy values - 10% could be a huge deal if your weapons tend to do 90% damage to an enemy per shot, but that's not what is happening here.
Actually if you did 90% damage to an enemy +10% damage would still not change the breakpoint soooooo

:parrot:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Demo siren resistance must be some dev's pet cause because I can't imagine why TWI insists on having it be a perk (at level 15 no less) instead of a passive

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

closeted republican posted:

Don't worry friend, just read this spreadsheet and you can figure out how to kill a Crawler or Stalker with ease. :spergin:
Clearly you just want a simple head-popping simulator and are not hardcore enough to memorize every enemy's damage resistances and have another five people at your beck and call so you can form a perfect team composition every time you want to play the game :rolleyes:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Geight posted:

Like if I'm being honest with the glacial pace of updates in this game Tripwire could promise to totally revert or rework these systems and I'd know not to expect a proper solution until next year.
And when said rework finally comes it'll somehow be worse than how it is now and everyone who says it's terrible will be rebuffed with "it played well in internal playtests"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Skoll posted:

I still think it was kind of hosed up of TWI to take a community made weapon pack and then charge money for it as a DLC.
Also the part where all the initial DLCs were released for $3.99, but then later on when they started releasing the DLC for $7.99, went back and changed the price on all the $3.99 DLCs to $7.99.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

I thought RO2 was a fluke based on how well Rising Storm was.

I was wrong.
"Sure they hosed up RO2, but how could they possibly gently caress up shooting monsters in the head?!?!?" -Literally me

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

I mean that's the root of my problem. Time and time and time again they put out a loving terrible change that tested well internally, the community has to lose their poo poo over it, and even then it (with the exception of the example above) takes months for the issue to get resolved - if it gets resolved. I'll give our resident posters the benefit of the doubt and believe that TWI cares about playerbase expectations. But it raises the question of how often they think the players are willing to accept things on faith instead of, I dunno, anything else.

obviously that question is rhetorical for you and me, but whatever, I like typing too many words :v:
The worst part of the whole internal testing thing is that the stated reason patches take so long is that they want to test internally first so they don't push out an idea people hate

Like uhhhh

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

While true, it's not particularly relevant to what actually happened in this thread.
Yeah turns out being a dev doesn't entitle you an exception from talk poo poo get hit rules when you passive aggressively insult people who say the resist system is terrible

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Looks like resistances for bigger zeds will stay, but it's a huge step in the right direction.
Yeah I can deal with resists only for bigger zeds being in. I mean I don't think anyone really complained about Scakes having an explosive resist before the whole resist change went in. Hopefully they'll pare the number of resist types down too since there's no need to have like a dozen or however many loving resistances are currently in when the resists are only for the big targets*.

*There's no need for having a million different resists period really but hey

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

At first, I felt sympathy for Munk when he talked about how he thought fans would love the resistances and spent so much time on it, but then I looked back at this

and realized you'd have to be seriously out of touch to think that fans would love having the 90s RPG-like bullshit in that image in their shoot-mans game.

Also, I'm not pulling back my negative review until the patch drops and I see exactly what they reverted.
My favourite part is, based on the patch notes, that certain enemies had specific resistances to specific weapons. So despite "handguns" being its own category IIRC the 9mm and starter gunslinger pistol had different resist values to the bloat compared to the other handguns. Like I guess it wasn't enough to just have each type of weapon be a different resist there had to be differences within each type was well.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

null_pointer posted:

Awwww, poo poo :( So, it's basically just as much of a poo poo-show as KF2 is, right now?
I'd argue it's more fun broken rather than KF2's stupid broken.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Game should come out and punch my dick straight off for attempting 6-man HOE without the perfect min/max team on discord/Skype/vent/mumble. With 200 hours of experience. And attuned for HoE via the Killing Floor main questline.

Or, you know:

Normal: fun, reasonable difficulty for new players level 0-5
Hard: fun, reasonable difficulty for players level 5-15
Suicidal: fun, reasonable difficulty for players level 15-25
HoE: fun, reasonable difficulty for players level 25.
Smdh if you think games are supposed to be fun

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

The head dev posted this wall of text on the official forums:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1493800#post1493800

Here's the hilarious part of that wall of text.

It's not our fault that we made a common enemy an annoying chore to kill, it's the player's fault for not appreciating our vision!

Also, I like how he had to discover that players like their guns to feel powerful and kill poo poo in a game like Killing Floor 2. Well no loving poo poo; that's what the goddamn gore system is there for. People love killing dudes with powerful weapons and watching them explode into pieces, not plink them to death with poo poo weapons (except for the one weapon that hurts like normal). Any moron could've told you that.

Christ Tripwire is clueless.
So how long until they blame their declining playerbase/sales on Call of Duty ruining all FPS's forever like they did with RO2

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Coolguye posted:

crawlers also outright spawn BEHIND players in many cases. stalkers do not, at best they spawn separately from a pack and hope to hit them at about the same time from a different angle. there's a reason you rarely get torn up by a stalker, you see them coming because they approach from your loving front.

my overall suggestion is basically to treat the stalker like the gorefast to the crawler's clot. have them spawn together, attack together, spawn the stalker in fewer numbers but give her a damage bonus for hitting players in the back. if you need to hunch her over even more to make her harder to spot then fine, but to start out with let's just change spawn behavior and give her let's say a 50% damage bonus for popping someone in the rear end and see where that goes.
I can't speak for KF2 obviously but in KF1 Stalkers shared the same spawn points as Crawlers so I guess KF1 wins again

Coolguye posted:

Wow so I wrote a thing and apparently a moderator has to approve my post even though my account dates back to loving 2010 lol

Hopefully a mod doesn't get all pissy. I was not profane but I didn't really pull any punches on calling the sentiment stupid and pointing out how if they wanted a stealth unit to be a bigger threat, they should probably have her act more stealthy. like, you know, the loving crawler, who actually does stealth way better than the stalker right now.
If Questioner was any indication they'll consider your post a personal insult cause you called them out on saying dumb poo poo

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Look man you can't prove the Germans didn't use MKb 42s at Stalingrad ok?!?!?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That's why I'm not defending lovely changes but condemning the competition for king rear end in a top hat. I've seen legit good posts in here with write-ups and ideas that are well reasoned and such but most of them are just personal attacks on dudes who didn't poo poo in your Cheerios.

I do have an idea of what I'm talking about. It's that your an rear end in a top hat.
Legit question but what, in your opinion, constitutes a personal attack? Because as far as I recall no one actually insulted questioner specifically, they insulted the post(s) he made, a subtle but distinct difference. Or is "personal attack" internet shorthand for "someone disagreed with me"?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

yeah, I can give you the summary version.

I think it's been discussed here and in the Payday thread in detail, but: Crimefest 2 was a community event based on building hype - unlock challenges to get stuff. Day one of the thing, they spring a surprise weapon rebalance and microtransactions on the community. To say this went over badly is something of an understatement. Overkill got loving wrecked for it, including a huge brigade of bad steam reviews. Sounds familiar, right?

Overkill probably did one of the best turnarounds I've ever seen after it. They started making changes two days in and kept going. They've had a long and continued period of discussion with the community about almost every aspect of the gameplay - they've overhauled almost everything: Weapon balance, perk decks, skill trees, you name it - we're talking weeks to months worth of discussion, proposed ideas, feedback gathering, and open betas. Long ones, too, so people have a chance to give good feedback and Overkill has time to implement it. They're some of the most successful open betas I've seen.

Another point I want to emphasize here: They also wanted to redo the main menu. They came up with a concept, even ran an open beta about that. Beta feedback was that nobody really liked the changes. The main menu did not change in the live branch.

all the while, of course, they were adding new heists, new characters, new weapons, new content of almost all types.
Another thing about Overkill is that while they obviously try to keep their game balanced, it very much feels like they lean towards players having fun over an optimal balanced experience or whatever. This is actually something I felt KF1 did as well with all the crazy weapons they added to that, which is why KF2's obsessiveness over "balance" is doubly frustrating.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Bilal posted:

h ttp://media.tripwirecdn.com/071916/m203.webm

Firing an M203 into a group of clots should vaporize all of them. Not just kill the one in the front.

KF2 isn't going to recapture KF1's magic until the guns actually kill poo poo. Could mutators do this? Could I make and run a custom mutator that would boost damage on the various weapons? I still don't own the game but I would assume this is simple to do.

It's a total bummer that the weapons in this game look awesome, sound awesome, and have great animations, but they don't actually have the in-game power to accompany that.
My theory is they want to do everything the opposite of KF1 which is why guns in that game popped heads real good but in KF2 they decided the naked invisible woman had to be able to shrug off whole shotgun blasts

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Maybe they'll buff melee a lot and make it about timing between parries?
Yeah I'm sure that's most definitely exactly what they're going to do

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Knifegrab posted:

I mean I kind of like the idea in theory but yeah in practice its probably just frustrating and terrible.

I like KF2, just listen to some cheesy rear end music and blast zombies, its my jam. I'm glad I wasn't heavily invested in its development.
Well the big problem was that when the resistances system first dropped it made the "blast zombies" part really, really terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

the blades will actually deflect the bullets back at you, causing damage
And when you shoot the body it heals them instead