Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Brannock posted:

I don't see how Walker survives any attacks on his economic record, even everything else he's done notwithstanding. He campaigned on 250,000 jobs for Wisconsin and instead Wisconsin is among the worst states for far too many economic metrics. They're dead last in the Midwest for job creation come on.

Well that's not sexy or exciting to talk about at all. The media would much rather focus on Bernie Sanders writing a race fantasy than some boring "economic junk".

But literally his biggest strength seems to be that even his failures aren't exciting to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Leave the science to the scientists." ~ Rick Santorum, to Pope Francis. Incidentally, the Pope holds a masters degree in Chemistry.

Doesn't Santorum keep getting involved in votes in Congress declaring climate change not-man-made by legislative fiat?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Santorum hasn't held public office in 8 years.

poo poo I think I'm getting people mixed up again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

While all the branches of the US military are conservative leanining, I'd also like to point out that the Navy is the most liberal. :smug:

(The Air Force, though? Holy gently caress. Really? :stare: )

Isn't the airforce have a huge fundamentalist/evangelical component?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Family Values posted:

Yeah it would be more illegal I think? You're not a whistleblower if you're doing it for financial gain, you're just committing espionage at that point.

Is paid international corporate espionage actually illegal? Like has been mentioned, the details of the TPP aren't actually classified to my knowledge.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I WANT to be a good, compassionate person who feels for everyone and doesn't want anyone's life ruined.

But man... gently caress that guy. There's a real justice in him purposely trying to incite violence and piss people off, absolutely nothing happening except that a few protesters had their minds opened to the good in Islam, and then this dude just got weighed down by all the people he pissed off.

I feel compassion for him. I can't read what he said in that article without thinking that this guy needs serious mental help. He honestly sounds like a victim of his own mind.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Boon posted:

I always thought "females" was a stilted way to discuss women casually, "ladies" has become a weird and creepy way to address women apparently, and "girls" is apparently too domineering. Women/woman is basically it I guess unless "guys" is now universial... in which case equality has come.

Chicks, dolls, lasses and broads are still all acceptable right?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Supraluminal posted:

Does it set any precedent that could be harmful later? That'd be my main concern.

It sounds like it set a precedent for awarding 0 dollars and 0 cents to bailed out rich people complaining about how they were bailed out. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do find the focus on gun control among certain people to be super weird right now, as if the sort of gun control those people advocate would have stopped this or even impacted it.

Not that I'd be opposed to a complete ban on handguns.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

I wish someone would call out GOP politicians every time they use a shooting to push their pro-gun agenda by saying we shouldn't increase gun control and that Obama is using the shooting to push his gun control agenda. I'm not sure how to word that sentiment in a more eloquent way but you get what I mean.

I was under the impression that we and many others do call them out pretty reliably, we just don't have any way to stop them? Also most of us are seemingly agreed that the NRA can go to hell along with the people who support it's insanity.

But in this particular case, when there's a much larger elephant in the room, it seems like a bit of a weird focus.

I guess there's enough room to talk about all the different stuff though, and if he really did acquire a gun because of a lack of regulation/enforcement then that discussion has a place at the table.

Crain posted:

This whole case is an outlier. Gun control wouldn't have stopped this. Mental health access wouldn't have stopped this. Hell, I don't even think armed guards would have had much of an effect.

This is that one honest to goodness focused individual who just wanted to kill people. He was going to do this any way he could.

The only thing that really could have stopped this kid, once his mind was set on this, is basically Minority Report.

Breaking up the network of white supremacy that radicalized him, and doing something about the constant violent, racist rhetoric that meant no one reported his plans because seemingly talking about killing black folks is just socially acceptable where he's from, those might have helped, no?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 20, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Maybe last-barrier legislation of the sort you're describing shouldn't be our go to for trying to fix problems? A band-aid, at most. Laws of the sort you seem to want to talk about don't fix social problems. You can't use laws to forcefully cut off the final mile of a society that thinks something is okay - prohibition is a testament to that.

That doesn't mean the government and it's laws can't be a powerful and useful force for change, but I'd hazard a guess that most of what it can and has done that is useful in preventing things like this have less to do with passing new laws and more to do with innovative enforcement, cultural messaging, and a chunk of society dedicated to supporting their efforts.

Maybe what we need is more super heroes beating up racists, that seems to have helped against the KKK. More government force in pursuing those who issue racist threats. A willingness on the part of the media to not just call out but openly mock racists for their rhetoric. Make the whole thing unattractive in every way.

We've done it before and had success.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 20, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The FBI often does good things, and spends time tracking down real criminals. They are law enforcement, and may not always be great, but are probably better than average American law enforcement by a good margin.

The CIA exists explicitly to break laws and undermine the rule of law, with the justification that, well, someone needs to do it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines terrorism as “the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."
Sep 13, 2011

I am guessing that the FBI feels that he could not really promote the furtherance of political or social objectives. I guess it would be like "if a guy shoots up a church and no one pays attention to his reasons and no one acts on it, did it happen in the first place?"

Massively stupid still and that is the only way that they could not classify it as terrorism since their definition is very VERY broad.

I'm not quite understanding how this could be classified as "not terrorism" but the Boston bombing could be classified as "terrorism". What's the difference, in light of that definition?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

berzerker posted:

No one in the South actually calls it that.

I guarantee you this is false.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Weird it's like...he's not a white guy??? I just don't understand...

Actually, I'm pretty sure many white persons could have said the exact same statement and most people would have been okay with. Context matters, and while part of the context is the colour of Obama's skin, it's certainly not the only context.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

eBay and Amazon exercising a lot of discretion over third-party posting may be a road we come to regret going down.

...but they already do, though? I mean, this isn't something new that they've never done before, this is just moving one more item over to their "won't carry" bucket, which already has a ton of things in it from what I remember.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

berzerker posted:

Reminder that black Southerners are Southerners too. Stop lumping an entire region into an evil Other.

Who has lumped all southerners into an evil other? You're the first person I've noticed who has used "Southerners" completely unqualified.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Drone posted:

I dunno, a more meaningful push for actual, real gun control would matter a whole lot more than lowering a piece of cloth from a flagpole, even if what that piece of cloth stands for is completely reprehensible.

Removing the flag is certainly a good thing, but I can't shake this feeling that it's a waste of valuable political clout that could have been better spent on making another big push for tougher gun laws.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna go with fighting racism as more important and appropriate than pushing gun control in this particular situation. I may be a "waste of valuable political clout for you", but it's certainly not for everyone.

berzerker posted:

The nerve of those people, hypothetically acting in a way we don't like!
Am I going to get a response? Nah, probably not.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

berzerker posted:

There was a post just prior to this that either I misread or there was an edit (probably me misreading) talking about "the most bizarre thing about white Southerners" and "Southerners that hate everything about America." I sincerely apologize for making a correct statement about black Southerners being Southerners too, in response to misreading a post.

Apology accepted.

As to the ongoing conversation about whether zoux is right and everyone else wrong:
I too hope that this goes further than the whole flag thing, but the flag thing is not nothing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Drone posted:

Yeah, removing a piece of cloth but doing nothing about the sentiment behind it is curing racism. Thanks for finally solving that problem for us.

Meantime the 10,000 people who died to guns last year in the US will be thanking you too.

"No, you don't understand", he cried, "Anything that isn't doing exactly what I want couldn't possibly be helping anyone!"\

So, let's ignore your pet hobby horse and your need to make every situation about it and it alone, and talk about what you would want us to do, as the next (but not final) step, that is better than denormalizing symbols of racial hatred and oppression?

Alter Ego posted:

Who is saying this?

JT Jag posted:

Who is actually saying that this fixes racism oh my god

No one! But it's almost like that doesn't matter...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Drone posted:

Make it harder to get a handgun? :confused:

Sorry, sorry, I mean in terms of fighting the whole racism/white supremacy thing. Left out a couple words on the rewrite.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

berzerker posted:

Look at that fat guy out for a run! He's probably just doing it to *look* better, not because he's learned true mind body discipline. And he'll probably just go eat a million bowls of ice cream and get fatter now anyway, I'm assuming. This running nonsense is just a meaningless distraction and I'm against it!

I don't know why he's bothering either, to be honest. I mean, even if he truly believed it would help, he's still going to be fat after he's done running for the day, so can you call it a meaningful effort? And in like half an hour he's probably just going to stop, you know? So much for that!

zoux posted:

You're 'bout these false equivalencies today huh. In your analogy, going for a run would be what I want them to do, stapling up thinspiration photos on their bedroom walls is what you think is plenty of progress towards a goal.
Man, you're bad at analogies. The comparison doesn't work at all unless... oh, wait, I get it, this is self-deprecation on your part, isn't it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zoux posted:

You're right, maybe we should just never bother with anything ever again.

We are bothering with something right now, you're just upset because we are bothering with something that you don't think is a big deal, even though we've done it your way after most of the previous shootings.

zoux posted:

I don't agree that gun ownership is a right.

In America? Would you like to make any additional statements about how your opinions are not in fact based on reality but rather on wishful thinking? I think it really helps your arguments.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Brannock posted:

GUN CONTROL?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

But but but America isn't discussing or deliberating any meaningful action! The national conversation is already over!

That doesn't count, obviously. Because there's also a conversation about racism, the symbols of racism, and the veneration of racist symbols happening, and that conversation is detracting from Full Disarmament Now. :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Radbot posted:

A solid argument for never changing anything, ever.

No, it's a pretty weak argument for that, but it's a pretty solid (okay, barely solid) counterargument against what it was countering.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zoux posted:

I think the most important question is: is talking about racism and flags making zoux feel good? I think that answer is unequivocally and emphatically no. We have not "done" it until zoux feels good. We must focus on what is important here.

Does this sound about right, zoux? Trying to get to the crux of your problem here.

Woah. Can someone give some sort of context for this? Why?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zoux posted:

I honestly have no idea what you guys are so mad about.

If the straw arguments you're attacking weren't evidence enough, I think this is solid evidence you have a deep misunderstanding of the people you are attempting to communicate with.

zoux posted:

It's a good first step yes. My argument is that if the sum total of social change that occurs because of the AME shooting is that the SC state capitol stops flying the flag, that is not enough.
Well then it's a good thing that everyone agrees on this incredibly important issue. I expect you will continue to get angry when you realize that what most people feel is a good next step doesn't end up being your pet issue either though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

sugar free jazz has a point, I think.

Identity is important to a lot of people, and a big part of changing minds and making progress is giving people better alternatives to identify with.

I think a lot of progress could be made in the South by introducing a powerful competing narrative for people to identify with and feel proud of that isn't based around racism. Talking to people who fly the flag, I do feel that many of them simply wish to appropriate it because they've got nothing better.

It's not even about the flag, directly. It's about having pride in where you're from, and a lot of Southerners don't really know the story's worth having pride in, or can't see themselves in the ones they do, and so they latch onto what's available and then try to rewrite those stories in such a way that they can have pride in them.

Abolishing institutions tend to work better when you've got a place you can point people to go and say "and if you're looking for the same sort of thing this provided you but without the bad bits, you can head on over to that over there and get it".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ugh, count on Apple to do the stupidest possible thing to "contribute". I thought the point was to remove items that venerated the the confederacy, not ones that mentioned it...

Still, seems like a good day overall. Whoo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Where are you? When I got married at the courthouse the judge literally did a ceremony out of the bible.

Where are you? I've never heard of courthouse marriages involving bibles. It's just paperwork, they sign off on it, and you're out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

radical meme posted:

The inconsistent nonsense of people in this thread cheering on that lady who took down the Confederate Battle Flag then saying, "yeah that ISIS flag with dildos is edgy and cool", what a perfect symbol for such an important social issue.

I don't think anyone would have had a problem with a "vibes and dildos" version of the "stars and bars" being flown at a pride event.

radical meme posted:

edit for Venom below: yeah, but I guess I missed the Nazi Swastika flag made from dildos and butt plugs.
Do you... do you have a problem with the fact that the icon for the gay marriage thread is a gay nazi flag?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 28, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Apparently at least six black churches have been destroyed just among the four states covered in this article:

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2015/06/26/string-of-nighttime-fires-hit-predominately-black-churches-in-four-southern-states/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Optimus Subprime posted:

The death penalty ruling is pretty awful. I'd take a guillotine over those drugs if I was to be executed.

The result seems to be directly the fault of the idiots bringing the case. They didn't care about the issue actually being argued (they obviously didn't care whether or not the drugs were cruel and unusual punishment), but were using it as an excuse to try to argue something completely different that the law didn't support (they just wanted the execution stopped full stop), and that unsurprisingly lead to the lovely conclusion we got.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Interesting, interesting... so it is just like the Nazi flag after all?

Wow indeed, hahah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Don't hand me a network of killer robots, secret prisons, special forces, ubiquitous surveillance, and a nearly complete DARPA power armor program and expect me not to go full Doctor Doom with them.

I mean yeah, I'll probably spend most of my time going after the people you don't like, so you get the satisfaction of pure spite. But I'll definitely go down in the history books as a super villain. Cape and all.

I see you've committed not just to running but winning, with this sort of talk you're gonna go straight to the top. It's a message that will, I think, really resonate with the voting public.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Corbeau posted:

e: Besides, as far as I can tell China is winning the economic "war" for influence. Why the hell would the jeopardize that with military warfare?

Internal Economic pressures. If things start heading south, that dissent is best focused outward, and who better to focus it on than Japan?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hey fishmech I am not sure how much the 25 and up bracket matters if we're talking about hypothetical future war pressure from a young male population without relationship prospects. Looking into the next decade, a ratio of over 1.1 seems pretty drat bad even considering foreign brides (and its not like their neighbours have a large enough surplus of women to balance out China's deficit)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Why is there a picture of Osama and Kadaffi? Can't imagine a right winger is mad at Obama's role in both of their deaths.

quote:

Gaddafi
Gaddafi was not on most people’s favorite person list. He was a brutal dictator that was involved in past terrorism and at one point was a nuclear threat. In 2011, after the Arab Spring Uprising in Egypt, a similar rebellion began to emerge in Libya to overthrow Gaddafi. As the tide began to turn in favor of Gaddafi, Obama chose to lead a NATO attack against Libya to help the cause of “democracy” (for humanitarian reasons of course). Not only was the attack an unconstitutional act of unprovoked aggression, but again, as in Egypt, we see the Muslim Brotherhood and other radical Islamic organization jockeying for power. It’s the old frying pan into the fire scenario. Obama believed he was legally justified in his actions because of a UN treaty from 1983. Does the UN trump the US Constitution?

quote:

Osama Bin Laden
America cheered as we heard the news that Obama had led the mission to take down Osama Bin Laden. After years of denouncing interrogation techniques such as “waterboarding” Obama was fully comfortable taking credit for Bin Laden’s assassination, which would not have occurred had the proper intelligence not been gleaned via waterboarding. Of course, Seal Team Six had a small part to play. Obama declared, “We should not use this as a time to spike the football;” when referring to the release of the grisly pictures. But it wasn’t long before Obama was speaking openly about the event and taking credit for political purposes. This brought the prompt rebuke of the military and Seal Team Six.

He is mad at Obama's role in both their deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

He appears to hate Bush the Younger as well.

• Locked thread