Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I picked this game up a while ago and just started playing. Regarding stealing tech points, Is that something you do early game, cause every time I try everything is grayed out and it won't let me stick him anywhere. Or do I just click Scheme, stick my spymaster in my capital and leave him there forever.

EDIT: Starting in Ireland 1066 that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Bottom right corner of the declare war window. You can click on it to show the breakdown of votes. Green check means the council agrees, red x means its going against the council.

As an aside, started my first Ironman game in Ireland. Started a war at like age 66 for Dublinn so I could make the Kingdom of Ireland. Just after I start, my leader becomes infirm. He thankfully survives to the end of the war so I don't burn my claim.

He's now 71 and still alive. That hunting dog he has must be the only thing he's living for at this point.

EDIT: Finally died at the age of 74. I mean, I appreciate the War Chest I now have, but for fucks sake, i went through like 2 heirs dying before he did.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 26, 2016

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

bonds0097 posted:

Just played my first real game of CK2. Started as the King of Mumu with an ambition to unite Ireland. Things were going swimmingly and I had 4 counties. Then my character died and the eldest inherited the kingdom/duchy but immediately the council demanded more power and then my stupid half brother revolted and usurped the throne.

So now I'm back to a single little county, plotting my revenge.

Welcome to CK2. Hopefully he's not matrilineally married so you can start racking up the body count to get the duchy back.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

quote:

Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask their vassals to return to gavelkind succession, or force them to via a favor.

This sounds awful. Mind you I dont have that much experience in this game (like 30ish hours so basically nothing compared to yall), but favors are way too easy to get and changing inheritance laws seems way too strong a benefit. Unless the AI isn't allowed to do it to you. And that way seems hella dumb.

Objective 1 for me is going to a sane inheritance and out of gavelkind so I dont have to deal with it anymore.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dareon posted:

It's to deal with uppity superdukes. You know, the ones that constantly conquer their way out of your borders and wind up with more men than you. You'd only see it fired in your direction if you were playing a vassal, and the AI seems rather more intent on making you happy than punishing your ambition.

I like the idea, personally, makes me want to set up a superduke with a dozen children, force him into gavelkind, and watch the fireworks. Maybe make his children ambitious as well.

I read that the opposite direction. Your vassal can make their liege go Gavelkind. Yea, its way less awful when read correctly.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Just to close this off after Adelaide and her son took over the newly independent Duchy of Valois I got this special being as my next heir:

Feeling good about this run.

I'm betting his doctor chops his balls off to cure a cold before any heirs are born.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Toadsniff posted:

Carousing is only micro-managey when you get greedy and try to invite like 10+ people. Just stick to a few who will join and increase your chances of befriending people you actually care about.

I usually just invite my council or a couple of faction members if people are faction happy. In general, I usually hop to Carousing if a civil war is not inevitable once a new ruler takes charge. +3 (or +5 diplomacy if I can get game master) and some friends is always good start to a new reign.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 18, 2016

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Listen man, I know he's your Steward, but trust me, I'm doing you a favor here. All I want is a Strong son-in-law in exchange for your Steward not actively hurting your reign.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Zero One posted:

LOL. He's got 0 stewardship skill too. Literally anyone else would be a better replacement.

It actually gets better, I was favored in the election to the HRE. I figured my 40 year old Emperor son-in-law would outlive me, so I didn't even think of it at the time of posting. Six Months later, I became Emperor of the HRE.

Of course, actually getting elected hosed me over, since I was about a year away from getting Bohemia Primogeniture instead of Seniority, so I have to hope and pray my 65 year old dude makes it another 5 years so I can secure my succession and I don't end up a dirt farmer. Which also means I'm probably done as once I hit King/Emperor I usually end up just quitting due to not really being a paint the map guy.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 4, 2017

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

As hilarious of a mental image as it is, I do kinda wish you could get a chance at Craven for doing the walk off the boat, become a Crusader, and turn around on the boat. Or maybe just taking a spill and eating dirt as you attempt to get on the boat for a prestige hit.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Spain in 1066 is a pretty good start for absolute beginners. The Christian states are decently strong but not so large that they're hard to govern. You're surrounded by kingdoms run by your relatives so claims and alliances are pretty easy to come by and there is a mass of small Muslim states in Andalusia for you to gobble up one by one

Spain is fun. My last game I killed my brother to inherit his land, told the Pope to gently caress off and got excommunicated, hired a doctor who gave me an infection, and then died of an infection childless so the last brother was given a basically united Christian Spain in about the span of 1 year.

Sure, that never really happens every time, but it was quite fun. I guess I usually have my court chaplain boost the Pope opinion high enough I don't have to worry about him excommunicating me over free investiture, so seeing him excommuncate me super fast was a shock.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

buglord posted:

I'm making baby steps into this game, but it seems like my vassals, wife, and court/kingdom helpers are all intent on acting like gossiping 7th graders. My wife is pissed at me because she doesn't like one *very* competent administrator I have; I told her to piss off because we're going to have to make some concessions if we wanna get to be emperor. Then my court dudes are having little piss fights, and then take things very personally when they force me into making a choice.

I know I'm still learning to be ruler of my one little backwater county/province of Ireland, and maybe these dudes are indeed trying to help, but holy crap I have the desire to sack/imprison/execute the next person (wife included) who makes their playground bullies my problem.

am i playing this right

Serious Advice: If their unlanded and not your wife, you can tell them afterwards to get the gently caress out of your court.

Real Advice:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If you haven't scooped out their eyes, scraped off their faces and then tossed them in the oubliette, then no

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Piell posted:

Staying out of societies is bad advice because they don't really have a downside assuming you don't pick the evil one. The Hermetic Society, for example, can give you crazy amounts of boosts to learning.

Its nice, but if you are getting overwhelmed, there's no reason to add on to that. I mean, deciding my depressed king should join satanists to do his best to curse the family that killed his gay son was fun, but no need to add more mechanics early on.

Regarding technology: Don't worry about it too much while you are getting a handle on things. Legalism to level 3 is the only one you should really worry about, as it unlocks Primogeniture. You get points passively when a Duke or above, and you can have your spymaster steal technology for a random 50 point boost in one of the types. Stick your spymaster in Byzantine (or if you can't do that, one of the other major Kingdom capitals should have better tech than you).

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 26, 2017

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Der Kyhe posted:

Exactly. As the first law change you should switch inheritance law to something that gives all your titles to one heir (I think in that start Seniority is only one available), since otherwise you would have to regain control of some/most provinces every time you switch a character.

Tanistry should also be available . Basically the same thing as it tends towards older & other branches of the family, but at least there's a chance they'll choose some 0 year old child your wife just popped out when everyone else is dead except for your strong genius level 4 education son.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 27, 2017

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

cock hero flux posted:

So I've tried joining the Hermetics like 25 different times and I have literally never gotten a mission or ability to build a laboratory.

What gives? What do I need to do?

I think its a option in the intrigue window. Or maybe I'm thinking about observatory, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I feel like this is my problem with ck2 entirely right now. I'll get to be the emperor of half a continent, and at some point I'll have to stop and keep the empire from falling apart (vassal/demesne limits). At this point, the game becomes more about feasts and summer fairs than doing anything interesting. I think I've got four separate empire save files where I've just checked out mentally from a lack of interest or activity.

I'm not a big paint the map guy, so It's one of the things I like about CK2. Sure, I've given up on a save file cause I somehow got voted to rule the HRE despite being in the middle of managing my own realm and spending zero effort trying to get elected beyond an initial gently caress it vote for myself, but going in with a clear objective, doing it, then moving on keeps me interested. I like dealing with Dukes and Counts and occasionally having to deal with an allied/rival King.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

lurksion posted:

Because the Pope almost never excommunicates anyone anymore, for probably like 2 or 3 years of patches.
And it's worthless to ask for an excommunication because at the point the Pope is willing to excommunicate, he's willing to give you a claim.

EDIT: Actually 4 years of patches, since Sons of Abraham if I recall correctly.

I played a 1066 start in Spain, the pope asked me to go to papal investiture about a month in, I told him to gently caress off. He then excommunicated me. The only time it's happened naturally to me.

Made the start kind of fun, till I died of mysterious circumstances with no kids. Didn't matter since my dynasty had the rest of the Spanish thrones, but I tried to keep myself alive.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 26, 2017

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

quote:

- Taught the AI that more loot means a province is a better target for looting

gently caress, now I have to compete for my free stuff?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

New thread title right here

CK2: Due to a misunderstanding, I've been chopping people's nuts off for 400 years

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Did they fix Secret Religious societies spreading like a virus? I'm wanting to start an Iron Man game in Tibet and I've had that option off for a while. Just wondering if the new patch took care of it.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've coming back to CK2 after almost a year. What's the rundown on the new-ish expansions (the ones not listed in the outdated OP)?
Namely:

Jade Dragon (guess this is only useful if you're playing a nomad through Horse Lords or otherwise near China? Can you play China?)
Monks and Mystics
The Reaper's Due (health and plagues?)
Conclave (has poor reviews, worth it?)

Reapers Due and Conclave I think are worth it. Both add content for no matter who you play as. Monks and Mystics is ok, it's lacking for certain religions. Having satan restore your dick after you cut it off to cure the common cold is fun. Jade Dragon is fun, but if you primarily play west of the Byzantines and never interact with the silk road it's not worth it.

My one complaint about Monks and Jade Dragon is that it feels pay to win? It's not the right phrase, but the items you get from Hermetics and China can be super strong. Jade Dragon way more so.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Funky Valentine posted:

Is there really any point to the Cultural techs besides Legalism and Tolerance? I mean I guess Majesty is alright if you really want to shave a few months off a new ruler penalty.

I think they changed Imperial Administration to require Majesty now? At least it said that in my Tibet game.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

pthighs posted:

If I was to buy this in the Steam winter sale, what DLC is recommended vs. superflous?

E: is there any talk of a CK3?

No CK3 talk. Paradox has one or two pieces of DLC left for the game though. Here's my list, some people will disagree here and there. If I get yelled at enough, I'll happily update it so at least there's an easy to point to post for this winter sale.

Must Have:
  • Way of Life - Adds a bunch of options and events. Party all the time with your vassals, be a grognard wargamer, get a dog, lose all your money investing in bitcoins some artisans, get the Necronomicon, duel your shithead son.
  • Conclave - Gives your vassals and council some teeth and makes you actually manage them. Also changes childhood education so your dynastic eugenics program isn't popping out strong geniuses for eternity. Steam users really dislike this expansion, but most of the "annoying" changes were included in the patch alongside this DLC and got fixed later.
Pretty Good: - Still worth it, even off-sale, but aren't vital.
  • Reaper's Due - Fills out the disease system. Hire a doctor to cut your face off to cure the flu. Build hospitals, which give you a chance of maybe not losing everyone to the Black Death. Also, become immortal, reincarnated, or try to cheat death in a game of chess.
  • The Old Gods - Play as Vikings (and other Pagans). Also unlocks 867 as a start date, which is a good start date.
Play As X: - Wait for a sale to hit. Most aren't super vital, but do add depth and give you some other things to do.
  • Sword of Islam - Play as Muslims.
  • The Republic - Play as Merchant Republics (if you do plan on this, make sure to have Legacy of Rome as well, as Retinues are very helpful)
  • Sons of Abraham - Adds playable Jewish Leaders, Pope mechanics and adds events for all 3 of the Abrahamic religions.
  • Rajas of India - Play as India. Way better with this last patch now that Tibet exists.
  • Horse Lords - Play as Nomads. Become figurative Genghis Khan. Also adds in the Silk Road, if you play in the East and don't have Jade Dragon. Can also conquer tributaries, so you can bully smaller neighbors for their ducats and not have to deal with them as vassals.
Buy It On Sale Only
  • Legacy of Rome - Adds in Retinues, which are a standing army and pretty good (especially for Merchant Republics). Can mend the great schism and restore the Roman Empire. Adds some Byzantine events. Retinues are really good and almost push this to "Pretty Good".
  • Sunset Invasion - The Aztecs invade the west. Basically the Mongol Horde, but for the British Isles and Mainland Europe. I like it, but totally skipable.
  • Charlemagne - Start in 769. You will end up with giant blobs owned by giant empires with this start date. Adds Viceroyalties, Custom Kingdoms & Empires. Playing as Charlemagne is fun and it has custom events. Beyond that, not super important.
  • Monks and Mystics - Can be very lacking depending on what religion you play as. Most will have maybe 1 or 2 secret societies, and they are basically all clones of each other. Can also secretly convert to religions. Your courtiers can do this to, and its basically a virus in your kingdom, so make sure you are burning heretics as if they were a new fuel source. Adds a couple of new counselor missions. Highlights include getting a gun and praying to Satan to restore the balls your physician cut off to cure a bellyache.
  • Jade Dragon - This just came out. Allows you to interact with China, which is an off map power. The stuff you get from China is super strong. Updates the silk road as well. Also, adds new Casus Belli, which make expanding as Catholics (and everyone else, but especially Catholics) easier. It Does lead to a lot of unpretty borders and blobs though. The option can be turned off; however. Only really worth it if you are playing East of the Byzantines. Its also a newer DLC and thus, $15.
Assorted Stuff (Mostly stuff that should be in the base game, please only buy on sale)
  • Ruler Designer - Not really vital and you cant use it to get achievements. Get this on sale, maybe.
  • Customization Pack - Change your leaders haircut, shield, kingdom, and dynasty name. Slightly more worth it than Ruler designer, but still sale only.
  • Unit/Portrait/Shield/Music Packs - There used to be separate packs that came out alongside DLCs. Combining them is nice, I guess. I'd rank them as Music > Portrait > Shield > Unit.
  • EUIV Converter - Do you play EU4 and want to continue to there? Can be some delay with getting this updated if a DLC makes a big change. Not worth it otherwise.
E-Books
No. You get no in-game content, its just e-books. Read the thread, there are plenty of short stories here.

TL;DR The DLC you should own are: Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, The Old Gods. Those, plus the base game comes out to $33.95 USD while on sale. If you don't mind spending another $4.99 I would also pick up The Sword of Islam, which brings the grand total up to $38.94 USD. You'll have most of the leaders available to start as and have plenty of content to try out.

EDIT: Swapped around Old Gods & Sons of Abraham. Added tl;dr section.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 24, 2017

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I would switch SoA and Old Gods but otherwise it's pretty good, though Charlie does add my fav pagans

The more I think, the more you're right. Swapped them around.

Gobblecoque posted:

Good list. One tiny addendum I'd add is that Horse Lords add tributaries which can be very handy even if you're nowhere near the steppes. Use it to make other realms an effective vassal that you don't have to manage and pays 40% tax but goes away when your current ruler dies. Especially useful if there are nearby merchant republics.

Added this blurb, I totally forgot this came with Horse Lords and wasn't just part of the patch. Most of the DLC comes with little helpful stuff like this, but asking people to "buy it all upfront" is a big investment when you are looking for sale prices.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

herr posted:

So I've been reading an old tutorial LP which is definitely out of date, trying to get started with the base game in Ireland. I'm trying to do that whole medieval eugenics thing, and the guide suggests finding spouses with good hereditary traits, but I've only been able to see one listed ever and it was Harelip. Are Genius and Quick out of the game, or am I locked behind a DLC or something?

What's the best course of action for initial eugenics nowadays?

Remember to use the person finder (Press period) and set to "Search All" and not just the marriage finder button next to the character portrait. The latter doesn't search as completely. Also, if you just started a game, there might not be any available women with those traits.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's wrong with Monks n' Mystics DLC?

The society part of the DLC was a big letdown. Depending on religion, you might have access to like 1 or 2 reskinned societies. Hermetics are the real super star after Satanism got (justly) tuned down. Monastic orders at least let you toggle celebacy, which is the only thing of note. They are super forgettable, much like the college of Cardinals.

All the stuff not involving that selling point are pretty good, but not worth the cost by themselves. Artifacts can be super strong. The fourth counselor jobs are pretty decent. Mass prisoner actions and allied army commands are a great QOL change if you war a lot.

Edit: forgot about the Assassins, which are only available if you are Shia. They are cool as well. Societies are very useful if you are a paint the map sort of guy. I'm not, so I don't use them all that often.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 3, 2018

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Assuming they don't have an Intrigue score worth a drat, make them spymaster and send them to Constantinople to study technology. Might not be the best idea with a lot of negativity, but if you think of you'll live long enough to shed some of those, it's a good way of getting your heir killed/castrated.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Quoting my old post back on page 482 with my DLC recommendations. The sale price total might not be right since I can't really check it on my phone, but the recommendations of Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, and Old Gods still stand.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Must Have:
  • Way of Life - Adds a bunch of options and events. Party all the time with your vassals, be a grognard wargamer, get a dog, lose all your money investing in bitcoins some artisans, get the Necronomicon, duel your shithead son.
  • Conclave - Gives your vassals and council some teeth and makes you actually manage them. Also changes childhood education so your dynastic eugenics program isn't popping out strong geniuses for eternity. Steam users really dislike this expansion, but most of the "annoying" changes were included in the patch alongside this DLC and got fixed later.
Pretty Good: - Still worth it, even off-sale, but aren't vital.
  • Reaper's Due - Fills out the disease system. Hire a doctor to cut your face off to cure the flu. Build hospitals, which give you a chance of maybe not losing everyone to the Black Death. Also, become immortal, reincarnated, or try to cheat death in a game of chess.
  • The Old Gods - Play as Vikings (and other Pagans). Also unlocks 867 as a start date, which is a good start date.
Play As X: - Wait for a sale to hit. Most aren't super vital, but do add depth and give you some other things to do.
  • Sword of Islam - Play as Muslims.
  • The Republic - Play as Merchant Republics (if you do plan on this, make sure to have Legacy of Rome as well, as Retinues are very helpful)
  • Sons of Abraham - Adds playable Jewish Leaders, Pope mechanics and adds events for all 3 of the Abrahamic religions.
  • Rajas of India - Play as India. Way better with this last patch now that Tibet exists.
  • Horse Lords - Play as Nomads. Become figurative Genghis Khan. Also adds in the Silk Road, if you play in the East and don't have Jade Dragon. Can also conquer tributaries, so you can bully smaller neighbors for their ducats and not have to deal with them as vassals.
Buy It On Sale Only
  • Legacy of Rome - Adds in Retinues, which are a standing army and pretty good (especially for Merchant Republics). Can mend the great schism and restore the Roman Empire. Adds some Byzantine events. Retinues are really good and almost push this to "Pretty Good".
  • Sunset Invasion - The Aztecs invade the west. Basically the Mongol Horde, but for the British Isles and Mainland Europe. I like it, but totally skipable.
  • Charlemagne - Start in 769. You will end up with giant blobs owned by giant empires with this start date. Adds Viceroyalties, Custom Kingdoms & Empires. Playing as Charlemagne is fun and it has custom events. Beyond that, not super important.
  • Monks and Mystics - Can be very lacking depending on what religion you play as. Most will have maybe 1 or 2 secret societies, and they are basically all clones of each other. Can also secretly convert to religions. Your courtiers can do this to, and its basically a virus in your kingdom, so make sure you are burning heretics as if they were a new fuel source. Adds a couple of new counselor missions. Highlights include getting a gun and praying to Satan to restore the balls your physician cut off to cure a bellyache.
  • Jade Dragon - This just came out. Allows you to interact with China, which is an off map power. The stuff you get from China is super strong. Updates the silk road as well. Also, adds new Casus Belli, which make expanding as Catholics (and everyone else, but especially Catholics) easier. It Does lead to a lot of unpretty borders and blobs though. The option can be turned off; however. Only really worth it if you are playing East of the Byzantines so you can interact with China. Its also a newer DLC and thus, $15.
Assorted Stuff (Mostly stuff that should be in the base game, please only buy on sale)
  • Ruler Designer - Not really vital and you cant use it to get achievements. Get this on sale, maybe.
  • Customization Pack - Change your leaders haircut, shield, kingdom, and dynasty name. Slightly more worth it than Ruler designer, but still sale only.
  • Unit/Portrait/Shield/Music Packs - There used to be separate packs that came out alongside DLCs. Combining them is nice, I guess. I'd rank them as Music > Portrait > Shield > Unit.
  • EUIV Converter - Do you play EU4 and want to continue to there? Can be some delay with getting this updated if a DLC makes a big change. Not worth it otherwise.
E-Books
No. You get no in-game content, its just e-books. Read the thread, there are plenty of short stories here.

TL;DR The DLC you should own are: Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, The Old Gods. Those, plus the base game comes out to $33.95 USD while on sale. If you don't mind spending another $4.99 I would also pick up The Sword of Islam, which brings the grand total up to $38.94 USD. You'll have most of the leaders available to start as and have plenty of content to try out.

EDIT: Swapped around Old Gods & Sons of Abraham. Added tl;dr section.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'm still farting around trying to do an Ireland 769 run. Is there anything I'd want in the China DLC?

If you don't care about achievements you can make China range infinite. Beyond that, the new CBs are pretty nice for Catholics (and everyone really, but Catholics get nothing fun so it's really a boon for them).

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 2, 2018

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have some tips on getting good? I've been playing the standard newbie Ireland game and I've gotten to the point where I control Ireland, half of Wales, and most of Scotland (need to kick the previous king out of his last two duchies) but no matter what I try England always wipes the floor with me. I can occasionally grab one or two English provinces if they have a civil war or something, but any time there is a strong king I'm fuuuuucked.

England will be stronger than you even with all of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Get all of Scotland and get your own domains in order and wait for a weak leader/other opportunity to strike when England is busy with something else. You can also go for an alliance with France/HRE and try to marry into some lands/strong dutchy/kingdom claims.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Steam page says it runs till Sat at 10am Pacific. Also the DLC is on sale. Jade Dragon is at 33% off. Everything else is at 50% off.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Quick question: how do I pay off a loan from the Knights Templar? I've tried donating to the order but the -10 relation penalty from churchy types won't go away. They have some land in my kingdom, do I have to kick them out? don't want to piss off the Pope.

You need to wait till they come knocking, but I haven't taken a loan from a holy order in a while (due to that), so maybe it's been changed to something else. Yes, you're right, there should be an option in the Intrigue menu where you took out the loan, but there isn't.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 6, 2018

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

explosivo posted:

I think my biggest obstacle at this point is terminology - knowing what everything is called and what the difference is between lords and vassals and earls. Also not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing in my "downtime" between wars that isn't finding people to marry.

Regarding Dukes/Earls: Just look at the border around the person and focus on memorizing that. The fancier looking, the higher ranked. I also have trouble with this. I have zero idea what any Islamic leader titles actually are. My brain just can't remember them. I just look at the borders and go "oh duke" or "oh Islamic king"

To your second question: Sometimes the best answer is just biding your time. Events take time to fire, sometimes there just aren't claimants to the land you want, or the holder is too strong. Depending on your DLC you have other stuff like Societies/China. You can always stockpile gold for mercs/improvements.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Poil posted:

Which is the best dlc to get along with the base game? I can only really afford one or two. It might of course be better to not get any dlc at all and wait until a few dozen hours of playing.

If you view my posts in this thread, I posted the list of DLC. I can't pull it up since I'm on mobile.

The short answer is Conclave & Way of Life adds stuff for everyone and expands the game for every leader. Reapers Due is great for the expanded disease system, and Old Gods gives you a good start date and the ability to play as Vikings or other Pagans.

Edit: the game goes on sale all the time, so you don't need to get everything now.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 18, 2018

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

New expansion announcment. Guess its time to stop playing Vikings till it drops, so I can then play only the Vikings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEFoubsSzG8

Blurb from the paradox page that I dont see on the steam page
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusad...0180517_pla_ann

quote:

Baptism or War!
In Holy Fury, Pagan rulers who reform their religion instead of converting will have a chance to design that new Reformed Paganism. A religion of peace or one of war? Will you be guided by the stars or bow to the whims of bloodthirsty gods? Who will lead this new church? Build a new creed on the ashes of the old ways.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/756660/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Holy_Fury/

quote:

ABOUT THIS CONTENT
Christ may rule in Rome and Constantinople, but Northern Europe is still home to the old gods of war and the hearth. These faiths will collide in fierce combat as the Prince of Peace brings conversion by the sword, and Gods of Nature demand unnatural sacrifices as the price of their favor.

Holy Fury is the newest expansion to Crusader Kings II, the celebrated medieval role-playing grand strategy experience from the masters of strategy, Paradox Development Studio. Lean on your war lodge for support in your conquests, bow before the Pope to claim your divine throne or establish a legendary bloodline that will echo through the ages.

Features in Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury include:
Shattered and Random Worlds:
Start your game on a fictional map of Europe as a small realm fighting for space, or on a random map with historical analogues for the great kingdoms of yore.
Warrior Lodges:
Join a Pagan warrior lodge and raid your way up the ranks, unlocking access to powerful allies and greater military skill.
Legendary Bloodlines:
Descendants of great warrior heroes will have bonuses that match the accomplishments of their forefathers, including historical bloodlines of Charlemagne, Genghis Khan and others..
Sway or Antagonize Your Neighbors:
Try to win a reluctant vassal through charm and persuasion, or provoke someone you want to push into conflict.
Sainthood:
Pious Catholics can become canonized, passing on their glory to their descendants and making their resting place a site of great value.
Coronations:
Feudal kings and emperors must find clergy to crown them, since all power descends from the heavens.
New Crusade Events:
Deeper gameplay for the religious wars of the era.
New Succession Laws:
A Pagan Elder Council may have the final word in how a realm is divided among heirs, or a ruler may challenge his brother to combat to unify a realm.
And much more:
Changes to religion, custom names for people or objects, deeper baptismal mechanics, lists of people you’ve killed, and other small changes for flavor and variety.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 19, 2018

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I’m trying my first game ever and playing in Ireland. I just reformed to Tanistry, with a 1066 start. Am I hosed? Should’ve gone another way, I take it, but I guess 10 years of random rule is going to be fun.

Tanistry is fine. It's better than gavelkind, since it gives all your holdings to one heir in your dynasty. It'll probably be some older cousin or uncle, but it'll be fine.

Edit and a bad heir isn't the end of the world. Assuming you aren't trying for a specific achievement, losing and regaining land and then going on your revenge tour part of the loop.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 2, 2018

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The Kinslayer trait would be the worst if you directly plot to kill the person and get caught. There are other ways to avoid that, but it's more RNG. If they suck at stewardship or intrigue and are in your court, you can have them collect taxes/spy on tech in Constantinople and see if they get the "bad option" of getting murdered by peasants or getting castrated by the byzantines.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due is probably the top three that you're missing.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Olewithmilk posted:

Sorry If this gets asked thousands of times, but below is the DLC I don't have for CKII:

Are there any of those that I should absolutely get, or is it just all fluff?

Conclave and Reaper's Due. rear end in a top hat Vassals is the name of this game, and a better disease system is good. If you wanted to wait for a sale in general, that's not a bad idea either. They are common enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Zyxyz posted:

I didn't get conclave because everyone said "conclave is good b/c it makes the game harder" and I'm a noob who's bad at game so making it Hard is the last thing I need
is it me, am I the Wrongplayer :(

Harder, kinda. If you are small you can shove your council full of yes men who cares about some single count or baron. When you get big it gives you options for poo poo heads. It also gives you more reasons to say "gently caress this dude and his whole dynasty" which makes things more fun.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 8, 2018

• Locked thread