Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Schwarzwald posted:

It's actually a cookbook.

"How to Cook Humans?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I love the original and thought that Aliens was the prefect way to do a sequel. The first two films are outstanding. My only gripe with Aliens is that it take loving forever to get going, especially in the extended cut. On a first watch, you don't notice because you have no idea when the payoff is coming but when I re-watch it I always skip through the first 45 minutes or so.

I've always thought the best approach for more sequels would be to somehow explore the "aliens on earth" angle. Like, a queen is brought back and all hell breaks loose in an underground bunker or something, similar to Half Life. This way, you have a new context plus the added tension of people trying to save themselves while at the same time trying to prevent an alien outbreak.

The new trailer looks...mildly promising I guess. I haven't seen Prometheus. Alien 3 and 4 and the AvP movies were pretty much trash. I had a great time (for a while) playing the Isolation game and wish it had been successful. I think there's a lot of different franchises that would lend themselves well to the gameplay style (Terminator, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know, even the NES can handle enemies you can't see shooting at you from off screen. :D

I think the Isolation concept could be applied to Terminator, Predator or several slasher movies (Halloween, Nightmare on Elm St., Friday the 13th).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Isolation has art direction going for it, to an extent. But gameplay was tedious and they were a bit too married to the idea of the Alien as unstoppable for it to be fun. RE7's undying villains play by clearer gameplay rules (Especially in how they navigate levels), and everything is paced well.

I like Alien: Isolation and RE7 but you make a good point.

If they were to do another Isolation style game with some of the franchises we're talking about, it would help to occasionally be able to really gently caress the enemy up in a way that effects future encounters. RE7 is great in the way that ammo us scarce and the way it induces panic, but I hate trial and error gameplay and sometimes it veers off a bit in that direction. (the garage fight and the birthday room come to mind).

I hate emptying my shotgun into a dude's face only to learn that what I really need are the car keys and dying 3 times to find out. The third or fourth time the Birthday room I realized I didn't need ANY of the items that gave me clues. It felt cheap.

Like, if they did a Terminator: Isolation game it'd be cool if some of the damage actually stuck. Say, you take out an eye and his optic sighting and his aiming suffers; or you crush one of his arms so he can't reload as fast. Or you're able to gently caress up his leg enough so he's slower for the rest of them game, etc.

There are ways to build on what AI did and still keep the core mechanic of the gameplay.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

What specific story can you tell with Hicks and Newt that is worthy of telling in 2016 that has not already been covered in other Alien films?

I think a story about Newt's experience before she was rescued could be a good story.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Avatar talk made me realize that although I remember liking it at the time, I can't really remember a single thing about it and have never really had the urge to watch it again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There was an Alien game for the PS1 I think (not Alien Trilogy) that was one of the first games to require the dual shock controller. I forget the name of it but I remember really liking the atmosphere of it and the graphics but, back then, I couldn't get the hang of the 3d controls and the dual analog stick interface.

Seems stupid now since very game uses it but when the double analog sticks first came out it was really hard to adjust to them. I also remember the game being very hard, even on easy setting, but again I recall that having more to with not being able to work the controls.

I guess it was Alien: Resurrection but that doesn't sound right.

Saw the trailer yesterday during Logan and it looks pretty good I have to admit. I'm a little concerned about how many name actors there are which I'm concerned may take me out of the film. Danny McBride, for instance, is just being Danny McBride again. I like him but I worry his schtick will be too much and detract from the tension.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Also made explicit when they find an intact head of their god and the first thing they do is put it in a microwave.

That's what I would do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That quote is so great. Fincher is definitely aware of the typical kind of person who claims Fight Club as their favorite movie. Just another movie in a long line of them that have become very popular as a result of so many people missing the point.

I agree with you but I'm wondering what other films you'd throw into this category. I can think of several. Robocop and Starship Troopers right off the top off of my head.

CelticPredator posted:

What if Max loved Fight Club because of what the film had to say? I don't love Fight Club that much. it's alright.

But Alien 3 is better.

It's OK to admit they both suck.

Basebf555 posted:

If its on the same level as the Planet of the Apes films, it could be great though.

Which ones?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Went searching for games in development and was sad to learn no plans for Alien Isolation 2 but apparently a shooter is in the works so I'm psyched. Always thought the source material lined up perfectly with video games and offered so many ways to go about it. I'd like to see an Alien game somewhere in between that''s mostly survival horror but lets you fight a bit more than A:I, if not as much as, say, Alien: Trilogy.

I remember being put off Alien Resurrection on PS1 back in the day because back then the dual stick console controls were too much to grasp and master, but watching some Let's Plays of it, it looks ok.

An Alien game that lets you fight but still makes resources scarce and makes you run away a lot seems like a good, balanced approach.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdVedBa0-mk

Obsidian was working on pretty much this, a squad-based survival horror thing, but the game was cancelled in favor of Colonial Marines. So that was certainly a decision someone made.

Seems to me they could pace it like Wolfenstein does; having some freak out firefights and poo poo along with some sneaky stuff. I enjoy both approaches so that works for me. Maybe make it a 2 part game with part 1 being scavenging and survival and the second chapter being more balls out machine and pulse gun stuff?

Could even tie them together where things you did in part 1 effect how part 2 goes (stuff you leave behind, doors you don't seal, nests you don't torch, secrets you don't find) and then maybe reverse that dynamic for New Game+ or let you decide which order to play them and still have them intertwined.

Just spitballing here

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, I have always loved Aliens for taking the logical response to “monster ate people and is now back” by sending a team of trained soldiers in this time... and they STILL wind up in a horror situation despite their best efforts. Really sells your monster if even lacking ignorance and being geared up/prepared for it is not enough to save you.

Same. I was old enough to remember the first film (my first R rated movie) and distinctly recall being really jarred watching the sequel when the team pokes their heads up into the drop ceiling. Holy poo poo. Whole different ballgame, baby.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If it’s fire ants or bullet ants, my money is on the ants.

Co sign. Especially if you adjust the ant for weight class. Me against a 160lb ant? I'm done. Ants will gently caress your poo poo up. I'm allergic to them and I hate them.

gently caress ants is what I'm saying.

mllaneza posted:

Oh goddamit, there it is.

I get to make some progress in Isolation !

Um...can you elaborate or something or do you think we're all watching you play this game? Lemme guess? Medical lab?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Really any alien game that isn't a first person shooter would be great, there's so much potential. Isolation was good, for about 2 hours. Wayyyy the gently caress too long for what it was and the moment you figure out how the AI works it's not so great. Looks fantastic though.

What would you want? I don't mind the FP shooters but they don't pace them well enough. If you could think of a game to model an Alien(s) game after, what would it be? Style wise, first thing I think of is Resident Evil 7 or maybe The Evil Within 2 since they walked a balance between stealth, running scared and actual armed combat.

I think a REAL first person survival horror take would be aces. Like, make it so you have to sneak around and find codes and keys and poo poo to unlock armories and build poo poo but there's not TOO MUCH firepower anywhere so you're always conservation minded related to ammo. Have it to where the more you explore, the more poo poo you get, maps you find and secrets you uncover but make exploration really, REALLY dangerous and risky.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, I think the missing puzzle piece here is that Hudson really isn't supposed to be sympathetic. dude's a complete rear end in a top hat to everybody else until he becomes a coward. making him a racist just piles one more unsympathetic trait onto the list.

I think you guys are reading too much into this stuff. Marines and military types are always breaking balls and loving with each other. Well, at least in the movies they are. I never served so maybe I'm full of poo poo but this has been my understanding.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 9, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think they need to get back to basics with this franchise. The entire canon is getting really convoluted and not much of it is helping from the standpoint of making good films. Also, I need another video game. Isolation 2 or something. Anything.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think a film focusing on xenomorphs on earth would be fun. Sort of an Area 51/Half Life approach where they have several specimens in a secure remote underground facility and need to stop them from breaking out and getting to the surface once all hell inevitably breaks loose. Get away from the complicated lore and convoluted backstory and back to the desperation, suspense and panic that made the first 2 films so great and where the stakes are "holy poo poo. We can't let these things get out".

A sequel could follow where of course they got out and are now colonizing and breeding in the mountains or some poo poo. I don't find the origin of the species all that interesting really and would like to see them get back to a basic monster movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^Didn't see it^^^

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So are we ever getting another Alien video game? I've really liked most of them and the license is tailor made for it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If they do release another Alien game, I hope they combine the action FPS elements with the fear and suspense aspects of Alien: Isolation. I like both play styes but think an even split between the two would work best for the license and build suspense and fear with a bit of hope.

Take a more survival horror approach where you CAN run and gun to an extent but make ammo, weapons and firepower SUPER scarce so that it forces you to manage your resources and not gently caress yourself over. Make every bullet and flame canister count and reward exploration by unlocking weapon schematics, secret passages, hidden caches, crafting materials plus steam vent and flame traps and such. Create areas where you can trap the fucker or cut off her path if you're clever and plan accordingly.

I loved Isolation but I get tired of games where I can't fight back after a while (which is why I grew tired of Outlast). I know in A:I you could fight the androids and face huggers, which helped the pacing, but it'd have been cool if you could, over time, waste or trap a xenomorph or four through careful planning, clever use of traps and sheer attrition, damaging it over time maybe. I'd want a game where you're always just about out of bullets or missing one weapon part or map that you need to hunt down. Figure out how to unlock weapons storage areas and med labs. Also, if you gently caress up, you accidentally release an alien or a lab full of face huggers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Slutitution posted:

Disney plans to turn the Alien series into a PG-13 action franchise in order to maximize profits. Duh.

No I'm trying to picture an animated musical Alien movie.

And I kind of want to see it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The rumored sequel to Alien: Isolation, Alien: Blackout has been officially announced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a mobile game.

:negative:

What? I can't even picture that. How immersive and scary can you make a game on a 3" x 5" screen?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

gently caress you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean? It isn’t an either/or, where you have one studio with limited time choosing between one of two projects or something. We knew of one upcoming Alien game, and now we know of a second game by a different studio and it happens to be a mobile game (and might even be a fun game!).

I see people comparing this to the Diablo mobile game announcement and I’m not seeing it as particularly similar.

gently caress playing an environmentally immersive horror game (where sound is a big part of the experience to boot) on a tiny little 4 x 6 screen.

I also, I dunno, get texts and calls on my phone that I don't get on my console so that's really cool having my experience interrupted with a text from my ex or some poo poo. The controls on a console/PC are better. Most mobile games I know about are based around either viewing ads or depend upon micro transactions.

After 8-10 hours at work, commuting, blocking spam calls and having that god damned thing chiming every 10 or 15 minutes while I'm driving or working, I'm ready to put it down, turn off the lights, crank up the surround sound, smoke a bowl and creep around a spaceship.

I don't use my phone for games at all and, in general, the less time I'm tethered to it throughout my day (unless I'm listening to music or podcasts while I work) , the better I feel. I'm also fairly old and tend to view my phone as a necessary nuisance more than some wonderful invention that improves my life so it could just be me being all :corsair: but that condescending snarky "don't you have a PHONE?" ad can kiss my rear end too.

I'm not sure why people being disappointed with this announcement is difficult to understand, really, but hopefully I explained it well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wake me up when there’s a mobile game that turns your phone into the motion tracker, and you have to run down the street to escape augmented reality aliens.

That's actually kind of a neat idea. Model it after Pokemon go .

Except then you'd have people screaming in public parks and trying to rip imaginary face huggers off their heads and it might trigger the cops.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Maybe just don't play the mobile game. I don't play any and its very easy.

I don't intend to and you're right but it just sucks that it'd be cool to have an Isolation sequel or even a shoot em up and we're not getting that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hopefully the atmosphere can be maintained and it doesn't get too repetitive.

Hm. Well, about that...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I would play it again with a pulse rifle.

Same. Might have been a cool unlockable or even a downloadable mission where you can run and gun a little.

I loved it for a long stretch but never beat it due to too much backtracking. It was smart to add the face huggers and the engineers to give you something you could actually kill but at a certain point I just lost interest and felt I'd seen everything the game had to show me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alien was he first r-rated movie I ever saw when I was 12. Freaked me out right proper but I was disappointed at the lack of naked boobs.

Seeing naked boobs used to be rare and difficult to accomplish and often involving climbing into a dumpster if you were brave. :corsair:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nonviolent J posted:

alien was not as good as lien 2 and never as god as alien 3 the real reasons behind this i will not share until i get 10 people asking why and only then, the real thing about the movie is that it brings the classicness of the series together with a new rendition of a star wars esc fictional tale but without the legacy of that

Nonviolent J posted:

without the direction of the asst director i feel that itd be lost in the shuffle of other bargain basment vhs releases that i will not name but shows that we all need the structure and guidance of the leader, without a flash subplpot or effects that distract from the overallmessage, bishop didnt deerve to die that was a mistake in the series and i have shunne all talk about it in my circle also riplys story has so many holes in the plot i dont even know ehere to beginn expect a full write up soon also the prison planet is a structurally sound and immersive cohesive

Yeah.

Are you going for a typo/no caps speed run here?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Been playing the hell out of RE2 remake and a lot of people ask about games that have an unstoppable force like Mr. X and I always mention Alien: Isolation. But it got me to thinking since I'd really dig a new Alien video game (and not one on a phone).

How about a real survival horror approach set on a ship or something tight like the Raccoon City PD building? Instead of hiding all the time, you gather lab keys, codes, weapons and parts to gradually unlock the ship but make it where you can still fight a bit? Face huggers, xenos in various stages of maturity...maybe add some androids or something. Throw in the resource management, upgrades, scarce equipment, strategy and a boss or 3 like the queena.

Not a FPS/Doom approach like we've had with a few Alien games but something in the spirit and in the vein of what Capcom pulled off where you CAN fight but your pulse is always pounding. Have it where when acid gets on you too much you lose inventory slots or your weapons, items and armor degrade. Do stuff with lighting and power switches that make being able to see things essential. Then design the levels in a really tight way like RE2.

I guess I want RE2 with Aliens instead of zombies is what I'm saying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SimonCat posted:

There isn't really anything exciting you can do with the Alien that hasn't been done before.

I don't think that's true at all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cool interview and a funny story from Tom Skerritt about filming Alien

https://film.avclub.com/tom-skerritt-tells-us-the-funniest-thing-he-ever-witnes-1835097540

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cross posting and I'm sure it's been done to death but I picked up this bad boy today and one for my son's 10th birthday in the coolest covid 19 mask contest.

E: Sorry for the lovely quality

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 11, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oh, get out. gently caress yeah.

Until I get an Alien Isolation sequel I can live with something like this. Brings back fond memories of Alien Trilogy on PS1. Bring that poo poo on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The more I look at that new game, the more I don't like it.

Initially, I was excited for a new take on Alien: Trilogy that had some action but I HATE online co-op and especially hate AI co-op bots so I'm gonna pass. Really wish they'd give us a follow up to Isolation which is the best Alien game ever and one of the best horror games of all time as well. I'd rather they did Alien(s): Isolation and throw in more monsters with a little more combat than just put an Alien skin on a run of the mill online team shooter.

Somebody in the other Alien thread posted a half hour of gameplay and I got bored just watching it for 10 minutes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I know, right.

I've seen Midnight Run probably 20 times and never recognized him as Alonzo Mosely for some reason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

I find the Xenomorph way more interesting and creepy when it moves like a human than when it moves like a Jurassic Park dinosaur. The former is nightmarish, the latter is just boring.

I find it more creepy and interesting the less it's explained. Prometheus and Covenant don't seem to understand this concept. A lot of horror movies don't, for whatever reason. I don't need a Michael Myers orign story, thank you very much.

It's no accident that the more they explain the Aliens and their origin, the less scary they get and why the first two films were so god damned terrifying. Like, the Space Jockey was way more intriguing when it was just there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

just finished playing through Alien: Isolation for the first time since it originally came out. great game, and honestly one of the better overall Alien media plots.

Good on you. That game is fantastic.

Ran across this "did you know" article about Alien. I know, I know, Cracked.com but some of it was interesting poo poo I didn't know

https://www.cracked.com/image-pictofact-6365-20-hot-as-hell-behind-the-scenes-facts-about-aliens/

Also, (I think) we're shown the Xenos' intelligence in the first movie when it hides in the escaped pod and perfectly blends itself in with its surroundings. I guess you could argue it was just sleeping but even if it was it made sure to do so in a spot that provides perfect camouflage. And was its choice to hide in that spot just coincidence?

I don't see how anyone can honestly argue that they're just mindless dumb killing machines. I think the comparison to an ant colony is pretty on point and I suppose ant are "dumb" in a basic sense but the practical things they get up to as a colony are pretty impressive.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno man, I feel like I had a very different takeaway from ‘Alien’ than you did, and full disclosure I don’t think the Alien is that scary and never did - I saw ‘Alien’ when I was nine and got into the franchise because I thought the 90s toys looked rad, but I’ve found the Alien to be more fascinating than scary. The reasons I’ve felt that way have evolved over the years, sure, as has my appreciation for different reasons why it’s scary for different people.

Well, OK, but I saw the first film when I was 12 and it scared the ever loving poo poo out of me. I'm not sure what not's scary about these weird insect/crab/whateverthefuck things with acid blood trapping people in space with no idea how to defeat it and no weapons or, further, being surrounded by a hundred of those motherfuckers WITH weapons and being totally outnumbered when ONE of them wiped out an entire crew.

I'm hard to pressed to come up with a monster movie that's scarier to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Just about any movie that digs too deep into the origins of the unstoppable murder thing winds up robbing that mechanism of its scariness. Like, the more we know about Michael Myers, the less effective he becomes as a scary ominous force in the Halloween movies. One example.

He's The Boogeyman. The end. Not some weird druid cult whatever the gently caress thing they started doing. How frightening would The Thing be if we learned everything about it and it turned out some giant dudes on a distant planet manufactured it to send to earth for reasons or whatever?