Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lots of sources reporting that the lead female in Paradise Lost is Ripley's mum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

i would rather watch a work print of any cut of aliens over alien:resurrection

Ressurection does have the single best shot of the franchise in it though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

You mean the alternate CGI one? Yes, and if anything it works better because the CGI model allows for unnatural proportions that the practical version didn't have.

For the curious, here's the alternate scene: https://youtu.be/BYnf6wuEB4g

That's way better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Nostromo's directive is to haul cargo from one lovely end of space to the next. The alien stuff was a new directive added on their way home.

And I'd imagine the self destruct is there incase something started leaking or something. To get rid of the hazardous materials? Destroy evidence? I don't know! Self Destruction options always seemed silly to me.

The self destruct exist in the Alien universe because of an early disaster in space travel where a colony ship lost power and drifted into a planet, wiping out a full city.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

At this point the Alien franchise would really benefit from abandoning the idea of canon completely. Multiple encounters with Xenomorphs but no one ever knowing they exist is getting a bit silly. It'll be downright absurd if the rumours about Daniels being Ripley's mother are true.

That spoiler was leaked by the same person who leaked basically the entire plot of the film that's now been confirmed by the trailer, so... yeah.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The entire plot of the film leaked months back. Why is anyone surprised by promo material at this point?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't really care for Prometheus, but it's not like the biologist getting in that baby alien's face is especially stupider than John Hurt leaning in to that hatching egg. I guess because the Prometheus dude is a biologist it stands out more, but I can buy the Steve Irwin defense.

John Hurt was wearing a full body environment suit - he didn't know the Facehugger was going to spit acid on his visor and melt it away.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

The joke here is that Milburn also had a suit on, right?

Well done.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Does it bother anyone else in this clip that the alien isn't able to fit into the hole so its dorsal tubes just clip through the floor? Just seems like really lazy VFX. Typically what would happen is an artist will deform the alien as it squeezes through the hole just like if one were to squeeze through practically and contort its body to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCnJ2NknyQ&t=54s

Yeah. That's lovely. Guess it's about the norm for this film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Oops should of went with blompcamp!

They are almost definitely crawling back to him and cutting all ties with Scott as we speak. It was Scott that put an end to that film anyway by throwing his toys out of the pram and saying he refused to share the universe with anyone. Fox executives loved the Bloomkamp vision but didn't want to swallow the money of cutting Scott's contract. They won't give a poo poo about that now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Minor toy chat derail:

Look at that little dude! D'awww :3:

Movie talk, I wish they hadn't messed with the chestburster design but I get why they did it (and Ridley Scott talks about it in the commentary) - the point is to demonstrate that the Alien is a thinking, learning creature even seconds after birth, and that that component of it is just as dangerous as its raw physical prowess.

I got that it was a thinking and learning creature in the first Alien with the way it looks around the room after birth and sizes everyone up. Making it a mini Alien was unnessecary and dumb.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

The loss of the show forced the plot to advance to what was essentially its endpoint, after developing a solid season to launch off of and not having any chance whatsoever to overstay its welcome or begin jogging in place the way, say, X-Files did.

Serenity is basically just Season Two as was planned but massively condensed. The series would've eventually had all out war with the Alliance. Etc.

Also the Inara rape story is terrible but lots of terrible ideas are thrown around before a series takes shape. It probably never would of made it to air, in fact I'm fairly sure it evolved into the Reaver episode we did get.

Some of the original Breaking Bad ideas where equally as awful for example.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Tom Woodruff (the guy in the Alien costumes for Alien3, Resurrection, and both AvP movies) almost drowned while filming that scene, because they didn’t expect the Alien costume head to fill with water as quickly as it did, and it wasn’t exactly buoyant.

There's not a single full bodu shot in that scene where the alien isn't really dated CGI.

Which isn't to say I don't believe you, it's just a shame they didn't use any of that footage.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SimonCat posted:

There isn't really anything exciting you can do with the Alien that hasn't been done before. All of these shorts will just be boring variations on a theme or stories that would work with the alien in it or not.

The synopsis for all of them proves this. They are exactly the same apart from people and place names.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The best thing about Jones is how the the theatrical cut is edited in such a way as to inadvertently say that the Alien may be legit terrified by cats or/and Jones in particular.

Its deliberate. It's another use of Egyptian imagery and iconography that implies the Alien is more than mortal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mllaneza posted:

You hypersleep because prolonged FTL travel makes people delusional, paranoid, and violently psychotic.

There's a whole page on religion. Including the Church of Immaculate Incubation.

:rolleyes:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

Where is this information? I can't see it on the site.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I've been on a big Starship Troopers kick lately, I love the Warrior Bug design. I just got this bad boy, he's fun to fiddle with.

That looks great. Do you know if they ship to the UK?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Oh hey about that whole "daughter being dead" thing.

I was reading some spoilers for a new Aliens novel that's coming out on Alien Day called 'Colony War', and apparently it retcons Amanda Ripley's "death" to reveal that she's actually in hypersleep or something.

Where is Amanda at now following on from Isolation? I always figured that after Isolation her fate was up the air and the Aliens scene was no longer accurate.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Ripley was independently wealthy and just worked the job because she loves spaceships.

Fun fact: Jones legit is Ripley’s cat specifically - on her bridge terminal, you can spot a photo of Jones as a kitten.

Ripley, keeping a photo of the cat she brought with her on her terminal, whilst having no signs of the daughter she left behind.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I’d have to do some digging to confirm this, but I’m not sure that the idea that Ripley had a daughter was part of her backstory when ‘Alien’ was being made, Cameron might have created that for the sequel.

I assumed this was the case, I was just having some fun with the disparity.

If anyone feels like it they should release a fan cut that's exactly the same film except an image of Amanda from Alien Isolation has been added to the console in that shot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

david_a posted:

That feels right. The parts in the script were all famously gender neutral. I don’t know what reason someone would have had to add that detail to her backstory in Alien since it never comes up in the movie.

Isn't this an urban myth?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Satisfied, he claims the Terminator’s endoskull, and leaves.

Part two takes place years later, when the Predator returns to earth for another hunt.
In 2028, in fact. As in, post Judgment Day.

I hope there's at least a full issue dedicated to explaining how Skynet was invented without Cyberdyne being the location of the Terminators demise in the first film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So basically the entire plot leaked a little while ago and the trailer matched it perfect. For anyone that cares about its relationship to Covenant...

The Black Goo features heavily and David is directly referenced.

More details...

The space station was experimenting on The Black Goo, which they call the Prometheus Strain, before everything went to poo poo. David is mentioned as having successfully reverse enginered the Prometheus Strain which naturally occurs in Xenomorphs. David's ultimate fate isnt clarified, but his work is back in the hands of WY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

So RLM also brings up the Predator face looking worse, and the flaps of the mouths looking floppy and bad.

This is because of ADI who have done the Predators for every post Winston film since AvP with the exception of Predators likes that style of Predators for some ungodly reason. It always looks like total loving rear end. They said it in a podcast.

it annoys me in every movie more than any "canon" crap ever could.

Honestly I think ADI are an awful effects company. Their work always looks a little shoddy and cheap compared to everyone's else, and I dislike nearly every one of their own designs.