Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I started up on the serve about a month ago. I played on Test from 99-04 so it's not my first rodeo. 32 mage and a 20 bard that I exclusively play with an irl bud, druid. The bard got twinked which is cool, but I don't play him solo. I wish I had done a necromancer instead of a mage, and wish I and played a shaman in general (but lol shaman gear inflation + too many shamans).

Server is okay, but a lot of people are real poo poo and large swaths of the community seem really lovely. I've gotten trolled over camp disputes where people call in their guildies to dog pile me. People training, bards swarmkiting dungeons, etc. Tried reporting, petitioning but nothing.

The ridiculous inflated economy is pretty discouraging and it seems like the path to advancement are farm plat -> buy gear. And the missing QoL improvements from Luclin are tough some days. Also the Unrest -> MM/HH -> CoM path is garbage and gross and makes finding neat things to do that aren't soloing tough.

Welp, that's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Let us know if you and your bud want to join the goon guild.

We're in Black Hearts right now and it's p. chill, though pubbie as gently caress. I might throw my mage in the goon guild tho since I mostly solo on him.

Frog Act posted:

So, mechanically, how do most Shamans juggle their spells? At 19 I'm gonna have like eight good buffs I wanna keep going all the time, at least one critical utility spell I'll wanna keep on my combat bar, three dots, a nuke, and two debuffs. Do most people basically just memorize all their buffs, buff up, then memorize a set group of DPS/utility/debuffs/CC/healing spells for actual combat?

I haven't been using the little "button set" box, but I'm thinking I'll make a button set for quick buffing and a button set for dropping dots and debuffs in the right order. Like maybe Walking Sleep, Affliction, Disempower, Spirit Strike, Healing, Gate, and Insidious Fever/Cloud as my default grinding thing?

Here was my level 60 lineup from Kunark->PoP (You can pick whatever order you want)

1: Highest level slow, never unmemorize it.
2: Highest level malise
3: Dot 1 if soloing / buffs / whatever
4: Dot 2 if soloing / buffs / whatever
5: Cannibalize, never unmemorize it.
6: Root, never unmemorize it.
7: Torpor (Or Regeneration)
8: Heal, never unmemorize it.

The gist is that (at 60), you basically have 2 free slots. If you're soloing you can load up dots or nukes. If you're grouping, you'll be rotating buffs through them, or using them for DD if your group is really good / you've got clarity. Given that you're only 19, you've got 4 free slots, losing tw of them at 24 when you get regeneration and cannibalize. Don't keep gate up, git gud or learn not to die or something.

A Couple Shaman Notes:

1. Slows don't really come into their own until you get the 29 one? Tagar's insects? It does 25% iirc, 50% at 39, 75% at 51. Walking sleep is I think 15%, so it's not that useful. It's the key ability of shaman though. Once you get Tagar's Insects, it becomes far more mana efficient to slow a mob than heal through its damage. Landing a slow on something hitting you buys you time to root it, heal, ignore it, whatever so never unmemorize slow. In live, I have died on live because I unmemorized slow and was unable to land and stick a root long enough to heal or memorize slow or whatever. Always keep slow memorized.

2. Malise doesn't really become useful until after 29 imo, and it's there for mana efficiency to ensure you don't have to tank an unslowed mob in the face because it resisted slow.

3. Poison dot lasts a minute. Disease dot lasts ~2.5 poison poison dots. The disease dot is really efficient iirc, the poison dot less so. Evaluate whether or not it's worth it to use the disease dot, and whether or not you should debuff with insidious fever/malady/whatever.

4. Root Rotting > Root Shooting. Tanking IN TEH FACE > all if you have a good weapon and decent gear and the monsters aren't beast nasty. Plus points if you're in bear form.

5. Learn to time your cannibalize with med ticks, especially while root / rotting.

6. HP == Mana, so always get HP. Wisdom is only really helpful in oh-poo poo situations.

7. Buffs:

Dexterity buff is useless to anyone that doesn't have a proccing weapon, so ignore it unless someone does. Inner fire and your AC line are outclassed by every other buff in that slot in the game.

Early on, before Cann II, buffing can be tough, especially when you get haste. You should draw some lines as far as who gets what when if you're having trouble keeping up with mana. If the group is stable and wiping is a non-starter, only the puller needs SoW. If you're getting nothing but single pulls and aggro rarely leaves the tank, only the tank needs regeneration. Etc. For soloing, only worry about stamina, agility, AC, regen, SoW and whatever HP buff you have.

E: Man, I want to play a shaman now.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 16, 2018

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Thanks for all this info man! I'm only level 15 so I don' thave most of these spells, but this is all really good know. Since I've got a fungus tunic I think I'll focus on STR/AC/AGI buffs.

One other thing - should I use the temporary damage bonus Burst of Strength spell or just not bother until I get Frenzy, which I understand is a really situational thing anyway.

I never liked either of those, but other people might have different opinions, YMMV, etc. I decided to play my shaman, Oggwhomp, if you wanna drop me a tell in game.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Hug the north wall in Kithicor to get to WC and run along the wall of the zoneline. Cast harmony on yourself. You'll make it.

You can't cast harmony on yourself to lower your aggro radius?!?!?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

Goons, I need help with mage pet models. I’ve turned off all Luclin models in the game options but the mage pets are still the stupid Luclin models for some reason. Even checked the .ini and they show as False so it’s not that either. I know there’s the higher res versions of the old models but those aren’t what I want either. Any ideas?

If you grab DruxaUI, it has options for that.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Pillow Armadillo posted:

6:30pm PAST Dalnir stomp tonight. Loot up for grabs on a need before greed basis.

Level 20+ recommended, level 12 minimum if you can invis or feign death and don't mind a 5% risk of dieing in a spectacular dungeon.

Is this just to gear characters or is this for exp or...?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I told a friend this, if you're a working goon with a job who doesn't live in his parents bassment, try checking for 5 minutes before you go to work. That's how I got my PWC after looking for a couple days.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I'm actually pretty strongly leaning toward Iksar as it does seem like there's a lot of questing potential there. You mention Monk and SK... do Shamans not get any interesting Iksar quests? I'm very interested in the Monk but preference is probably Shaman.

Shamans get a thing but I don't remember it being good like the shackle or greenmist. Cabillid also has a bunch of non-class specific quests for curscale and improvef curscale or whatever. It's got a really good quest progression that almost seems like some wow/modern mmo poo poo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ehud posted:

At what level can I start trying to get small bronze armor? I know it drops at Mistmoore and Unrest, but what level are the mobs that drop it?

Mid 20s. For mistmoore it's the graveyard, for unrest it's upstairs in the fireplace room.

borf posted:

So a couple years ago I was playing a monk on here. I was in my 30's and had saved up enough for some haste gloves, got excited and cocky and went loving around in Lguk. Of course I died. Then I had to go away for a couple weeks and never logged in to get my corpse in time. Haven't played since because I was so pissed at myself. Now after checking out Project Gorgon it just makes me want to EQ again... I think my monk still has a little money left, probably under 300p.

I could probably rebuild the monk on that since he doesn't really require a ton of gear, but I'm thinking of starting a bard instead because I never tried one back in the day. What's a good shopping list for doing some cheap twinking to get a bard going?

Saint's claw, Saint's dagger, and whatever the bard only spear is. Bard only weapons are decent almost-0.5 ratio weapons and cheap. Grab mistmoore drums and the lute of the gypsy princess.

Do lambent quests if you want, but lambent armor is not the greatest and is really expensive because of the gem requirement.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

suuma posted:

Sionachie's Partisan is the spear and a better ratio than the Sainy's stuff.

Bard melee never gets good, I'd buy one decent weapon and some decent instruments, maybe grab some banded or bronze, some cheap jewelry and save the rest for songs.

That's the one. I'd go for banded over farming bronze or ring mail. It's decently light and your strength is gonna suck. Also, that's the one upshot of lambent, it's really light for plate.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

xZAOx posted:

On Live (and even TLPs) Split Paw is super popular (once the revamp goes in). I always liked it as gnolls. Apparently there was an even earlier version where it was like a Blackburrow level place.

I always felt CT was underused. Maybe it has a lovely ZEM, or not enough loot.

Permafrost never sees any grouping love, but it's hardly an unused zone.

Qeynos Catacombs are fun to explore - especially without a map.

I remember it being a black burrow level place. Unfortunately it was too dangerous to get to. Also, the corpse recovery there is turbo hosed and the zone is pretty mazelike.

CT was hella used in vanilla when rubicite still dropped, as that was basically the only 'set' upgrade from bronze.

Permafrost has a ton of good vanilla loot but I so far away. Also clerics and wizards and shaman.

Befallen is a zone that probably doesn't get done as much because shadowknights with harmtouch suck. Also, keys.

Najena is a really weird zone with keys and lots of mobs with damage shields and what seems like really low mob density. But it was super camped before jboots got moved to a quest. I played with an IRL crew based out of a LAN Cafe in 99 and blwe basically camped it for a week straight to get everyone jboots.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Whats a good place to go at level 26? I logged in for the first time in a month or so and I've forgotten where I'm supposed to go

South Karana, but if KFC gets too many avocets or the centaur village gets too many chargers you'll have problems. Depending on class you can go to HHK.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

So what's the recommended way to twink out a monk on a budget? I'm guessing start with a pair of trance sticks, fbss, and then fill in from there with the cheapest lightest things you can find and then finish with Wu's fighting gear for empty slots on the cheap? Is it ever worthwhile to use one of the cheap 2hb monk sticks over dual wielding considering they have dual wield at level 1 and a higher cap on the skill?

2HB is good once you get double attack. It is not good before that. Agree with the above poster, all that really matters is weapons and haste. Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the weight restriction only affects AC so weight doesn't really matter if you're not taking damage.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

dabe posted:

So I recently hit 31 on my SK and I'm kind of lost on what to do next. I spent most of my time grouping and soloing in upper guk and I can probably stay for couple more levels but my gear isn't the greatest and I'm pretty broke. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should hit up next?

At 31 you might be able to solo splitpaw gnolls in SK. They're good money, especially if you can sell the scrolls to players farming them for the Qeynos turn in. They also drop tons of fine steel, and gnoll hide lariats are good pet weapons for mages, etc.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Every time I've played bard I enjoy it less because if you talk with your group, try to be social, etc, you're objectively worse at barding.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

That's freaky three big part of it. Bard song rotations are honestly less intense than something like FFXIX (which in and of itself is less intense than wow) but the thing is that it's constant, inside and out of combat. Out of combat you'll be twisting regen and mana songs at a minimum with speed or resists coming up for the puller, so there is basically no downtime for you.

This is true for shaman as well, though it's somewhat manageable before torpor and after cannibalization (for Luclin servers).

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

nilbog's original plan that still gets trotted out as the answer to this is that the current P99 blue/red servers will stay running until all the Velious era patches are implemented. This will then allow the real project 1999 server to happen - using the accumulated patch and bugfix knowledge from development thus far, a new server will be started up with patches released according to the live timeline rather than with years between expansions etc.

Whether this will actually happen is unknown - I'm honestly surprised that development and support has continued for as long as it has.

The 10 year anniversary of P99 is not far off, so it would be cool to do a new server in coincidence with that, but who knows...

Which would be worse, keeping the server running indefinitely or the megarush that would happen on a new server????

Also, isn't there an NPC (Chronos?) that exists for many patches that drops a fuckton of money and ruins the economy on every new progression server that isn't patched out on???

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

did they do it cuz the breastplate was too good??

it was one of the coolest looking sets back when i played.

I'm actually curious to know this. The Rubi breastplate was only 2? 4? HP per tick Regen. I don't remember what the AC stats were like, but I think I remember it being nothing special compared to class quest armor??

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

MF_James posted:

the relative ease of acquiring rubi BP is probably one of the biggest reasons (iksar BP and fungi BP never got removed). It waasn't great for 50+ stuff but it was huge for twinking/being lower level.

It got removed waaaaaay before kunark iirc, soooooi

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

acidblue posted:

Sounds great! I installed last night, but will get on tonight or tomorrow. I’m sure population is low, so I have a feeling I’ll be soloing. I ran a Mage in 1999, so I know they can solo well. How viable is a monk?

I wouldn't call the population low. More, people have figured out the most efficient ways to level and everyone knows everything about the game, so people are less likely to stray off a certain leveling path without some planned grouping.

I enjoyed playing P99, but stopped because it looked like the endgame was grinding plat to get things that I wanted OR having to break into the overly toxic raiding community. But there's still a lot of good fun you can have with the leveling experience.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

camped pyzjn for the first time, got the glowing black stone on her second spawn in 1 night. thats some real satisfying poo poo right there.

Go play the lottery.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

The only thing lovely about bard is you can't really talk in group to show people how much h of a garbage person you are :(((

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dwarves in butcher's block?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

If you can manage to secure the ancient croc spawn, that is really great, if not boring, money. If you take a 34 mage there you can really clean up in levels

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

hayden. posted:

I saw a comment on ~~reddit~~ that

1. The P99 owners sell plat online then ban the people who buy it

2. The P99 installer has remote-access malware

Anyone seen anything to substantiate either of these? #1 is sort of believable because gently caress I'd do if it were me. And #2 I can see as an anti-cheating measure, or maybe hoping to catch some dude with $10 million in an unprotected bitcoin wallet (I'd also do that because I'm a dick want $10 million).

1 would not surprise me.

I tried to install p99 on my work laptop, but it never worked because the company's custom AV literally noped one of the DLLs right out of existence for reasons unknown to me as a professional computer toucher. Like not even quarantined, but straight up deleted it. So #2 wouldn't surprise me either.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

poolside toaster posted:

I ended up creating both an Ogre and an Iksar, with both of them mostly untwinked (I got a piece of banded and ring from a kind higher-level passerby).

While getting stunned is a bit annoying on the Iksar, I have almost zero downtime thanks to the AC/regen combo.

I absolutely despise the Ogre starting area... can run for 30-60 seconds and never even see a mob to kill.

I want to like the Ogre, I do... but at lower levels they are really, really not selling it to me very well.

Head out of oggok and immediately turn left. Run until you see the ruins. Stay there for a while. Once you reach 4, head to Innothule around Guk entrance.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

shirunei posted:

Hit 60 on the Shaman tonight. Thanks to Daaz for making that last 20% a breeze.

So I've got a 60 shaman with like 2 million invested into his gear spells already. What the hell do I do now?

Got start working your way through the solo list.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Aades posted:

I play on takp a lot. I never tried p2002 but I think they have some quality of life differences like mouse-scrolling view change. I've heard good things about both if you don't mind boxing.

I tried 2002. It's fun but the economy is kind of crazy (but different from p99). It was fun, but boxing ultimately drained the experience and it's not like P99 in that regard.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I scammed a whole poo poo ton in Eve. Like fake supers and space court and the works. It has a culture that reinforces and rewards underhanded, deceptive and predatory social behavior. EQ did not, P99 does not. I would not scam scam in EQ/P99, and I did not even when some random pub asked me to transfer and gave me 5k plat.

Go play Eve or Ark or Atlas if you wanna scam and poo poo all over pubs.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Moldy Sausage posted:

lvl 5 shaman, hanging around blackburrow at the moment

If you're lucky, someone might give you a cold iron morning star from PermaFrost or maybe a bronze mace from Blackburrow? But otherwise you're stuck with splintered club, cracked staff, worn greatstaff, rusty mace or rusty spear.

Don't forget to buy your dot spells at 5 and 8 (9?).

E: it kind of sucks, but if you can head to crushbone, you can get the screaming mace. But none of the armor over there will fit you.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

I mean, it was crazy enough the first time around on blue with only a few hundred players but pretty much all of them knowing about the same good camps. With pop being what it is now, it would be more like the actual EQ launch in 99 where you had 6 people waiting on a single room of 3 mobs to respawn every 28 minutes.

This was the reason me and all my friends played Test. Test Server Friends forever!!!!!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

insider posted:

Month away from Green and still no actual information about it. Starting to think it is not going to happen.

Post a call out thread on Reddit imo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

I just started on P99 in earnest. I goofed around for a week or so in 2010 but made it only to level 15. I heard someone reference the upcoming Green server and decided to return for it (though I am well aware it'll be a mess of drama and poopsocking). To get back into EQ in the meantime, I'm playing a Halfling cleric on Blue, now in my mid 20s, and I've been having a great time. I played EQ obsessively from roughly '99-'03, so I'm not new to the game in general, but I don't have much of a handle on this server's community or economy. Accordingly, I wanted to post here with a couple questions.

Where am I likely to be able to find groups in my mid to late 20s? I've been living in Unrest since 15, which is fun, but I wouldn't mind a change. Am I too low for Mistmoore? Do people still group in SK? Cazic Thule? Warsliks? Lake of Ill Omen? I don't know what's actually populated on Blue nowadays and don't want to spend an hour or more traveling to an empty zone.

There aren't too many open world zones people group level in. Most people go CB -> Unrest -> MM/HH -> CoM due to experience modifiers. Most other dungeons are BYOG. You can probably go solo, slowly, anywhere with undead. People kill stuff in LOIO but it's more like soloers who group together sometimes.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

For enchanter and necro, gnome is the best race because you can peek through walls and actually get yourself through locked doors without keys like Howling Stone by crumping in front of it.

edit: also rogues and wizards I guess as well. Not warrior because the best warrior is always ogre since they can slam without a shield and then can never be stunned from attacks from the front.

But definitely shadow knight. Gnome supremacy.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Also, can I change up my keybinds? I would really prefer to use WASD for movement instead of the arrow keys.

The only problem with doing this is if you hit enter to type stuff and then need to move, you have to exit the chat buffer via hitting enter, either losing the text you typed (shift down to clear and enter to disabled) or send whatever halfway completed text you have.

EQ has the most primitive text interface and it's on of the most painful parts imo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

You could run it on a separate packet sniffing box I think, but it's pretty hard to get it going on the same box that's running the client.

In general, P99 has better hack/TPS protection than any other form of EQ including live. That's because it's pretty intrusive in the form of a custom dll that can, to some degree, see what else is happening on your machine, so if you're especially tinfoil, keep that in mind.

This DLL flagged my work laptop's virus/laptop management software, so be aware that it's pretty intrusive if you're using it on a non-personal computer

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dying on faydwer when you're bound on Antonica because "I'll be careful" like it's 1999 again :getin:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

No Luck Needed posted:

everquest is a fun game to play and playing untwinked is an interesting challenge. Anyone could of joined Auld Lang Syne on blue, followed their rules of not using the EC tunnel, no MQ, closed in-guild economy. But everyone wants a DE mask so they had to make a green server. Then the people who couldn't figure out that you needed to group in an MMO went to the teal server.

If Rogean and the server staff would run regular GM events and give out DE maks then a green and teal server would not be needed

I really hope green never gets merged into blue not for the legacy items but for the player base

I would guess 50% of people on green never played classic and a good portion never played EQ1 in the first place. They heard their wow classic guilds were breaking up and going to this p99 green thing so they just came over.

I guess that does give a classic experience. Enchanters that don't charm. Mage bots that dont have their 24 pets by the time their character is level 29. Everyone thinking that rubi bp is BIS.

Then alot of things not classic. People shun paladins, rangers, and shadow knights from groups because of the xp penalty. Guilds locking non-guildies out of camps. The p99 wiki vs the old alakazam and other resources, the p99 wiki just lets people not have to interact with the environment and skip to turn ins and key words phrase.

the necro spell Vampiric Curse is in the game (not classic) but necro's dont have the level 16 basic charm spell (very classic)

everquest is fun, green is bad.

If you make a character on blue, people will give you free stuff and buff you
if you make a character on red swish will come power level you

Why would people not want hybrids in group? because of their exp penalty? Does each person get equal exp after normalizing for negative modifiers? What am I not getting herr.

Also, it's fun but the 20 years people have had to collect information is the thing that makes it unclassic.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Relayer posted:

Is there a goon guild on green? 20 sham named Sabbra, I'd like to get guilded up if we have one

There are some non-daniel goons bumping around. I'm in Venerate, they seem chill, gotten me some good deals and some good groups. People from Castle have also seemed fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Maybe I was never good enough to fathom how boxing would even work. It's one person controlling two or more characters on different machines they have to go back and forth with? Like, I've always been led to believe there's more to the game than just autoattacking mobs, and even if it's slower in pace than more modern games, aren't there still decisions and cool downs to manage that would be much harder if you had more than one character to manage them for?

Until pretty late (after ldon?), there isn't much for melees to do. SK, Paladin, Rogue can be a little annoying, but you mostly just play your caster and tab back to the melee to press a button or cast a spell every now and then.

E: with the idea being that whatever healer you're using gets better dps/mana with healing or debugging than doing anything else, which leads to lower downtime, etc.